• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrackDownGrade 3 Confirmed | 201`5 vs 2019

I wonder where this will review compared to the recent batch of sub 70 metacritic Microsoft exclusives:

Sea of Thieves (69)
Below (69)
State of Decay 2 (66)
We Happy Few (64)
Crackdown (??)

Just remember, even Crackdown 1 which people actually like only has a metacritic average of 83. Based on what I have seen and heard, I think even 60+ for Crackdown 3 is looking like a long shot now right?
Instead of wasting millions on these games and Gears4 Microsoft should of just given Leslie Benzies $200M to create a new realistic open-world franchise because the long development time for new Rockstar games leaves a huge window of opportunity to sell another AAA GTA clone and IMO it would've had far higher chance of selling consoles than these other games.

Crackdown's world is hollow and repetitive and the gameplay becomes boring really fast and considering it's been in development hell for 5 years I'd imagine it's cost Microsoft an astronomical amount of money already.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I wonder where this will review compared to the recent batch of sub 70 metacritic Microsoft exclusives:

Sea of Thieves (69)
Below (69)
State of Decay 2 (66)
We Happy Few (64)
Crackdown (??)

Just remember, even Crackdown 1 which people actually like only has a metacritic average of 83. Based on what I have seen and heard, I think even 60+ for Crackdown 3 is looking like a long shot now right?

I think it will get a lock for 75ish. I think regardless of the outcome it will be a fun game for some.

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
While it was a tech demo, they also clearly said this is the first look at Crackdown Multiplayer and the trailer that was released with it had a banner that said in-game footage. So it clearly wasn't just a tech demo. THIS is a tech demo

Crackdown 3 downgrade

Anthem downgrade

The narrative surrounding the Crackdown 3 downgrade and the Anthem downgrades are quite different.

The Crackdown 3 downgrade was just a "proof of concept" but with Anthem they LIED to us.

This is why I cant take any outrage over "downgrades" seriously, it happens all the time but people only get outraged over it when its a game they dont like.

What a beautiful expose you just did Xiaoki. Kudos.

Every downgrade sucks because it's selling lies. Like every burger joint you ever went into a ordered something looking at the pretty pictures. That sucks too.

There is an aspect in marketing as a career that includes these unethical techniques sadly.

YayNJ

Banned
Drop the console war crap.
Wow, I'm shocked to see a thread like this on SonyGaf just before the game releases. /s

Xiaoki

What a beautiful expose you just did Xiaoki. Kudos.

Every downgrade sucks because it's selling lies. Like every burger joint you ever went into a ordered something looking at the pretty pictures. That sucks too.

There is an aspect in marketing as a career that includes these unethical techniques sadly.
Yeah, I know it sucks and it happens a lot and this isnt a case of selling lies, sometimes developers have to scale things back a bit because of time, budget or technology reasons.

But, my point here is that people will accept downgrades from games they do like and become outraged for years and years over games they dont like. The Witcher 3 was downgraded but people were angry over it for like a minute, however people are still mad about Watch Dogs.

I imagine this Anthem and Crackdown 3 comparison will be similar over the years. Speaking of which, I'll have to keep an eye out for Origin Access Premier and Game Pass cross posts as well.

LMJ

Is that really necessary YayNJ YayNJ ?

Sony and Nintendo get plenty of scrutiny here too, there have been tons of ps4 exclusive downgrade threads or have you forgotten the Puddle concerns?

Last edited:
Review embargo date was moved to the 14th (day before launch) from the 11th.
Oof!

Sea of Thieves (69)
Below (69)
State of Decay 2 (66)
We Happy Few (64)
Crackdown (??)

We Happy Few is on PS4 as well, not exclusive, however MS did buy the developer.

jadedm17

The mentality doesn't encourage lies. The mentality recognizes that crying about target renders and games not being an exact match is just that: crying. Crying that no developer or publisher gives a shit about. Do you really think they lose sleep over outraged pixel-peeking quibble-masters? I don't.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp.
Lose sales which lead losing long time fans. So yes in a way.
Im not saying to not play up something im saying dont lie. This was lying. No Mans Sky was lying. Dont advertise something you cant accomplish, just say "we are hoping/targetting" and its fine. If they said that here id be buying it day one for Terry alone but as it stands this is now a "maybe at half price in the summer" grab for me personally.

Geki-D

Banned
Review embargo date was moved to the 14th (day before launch) from the 11th.
They know what they're doing.
giphy.gif

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Instead of wasting millions on these games and Gears4 Microsoft should of just given Leslie Benzies $200M to create a new realistic open-world franchise because the long development time for new Rockstar games leaves a huge window of opportunity to sell another AAA GTA clone and IMO it would've had far higher chance of selling consoles than these other games.

Crackdown's world is hollow and repetitive and the gameplay becomes boring really fast and considering it's been in development hell for 5 years I'd imagine it's cost Microsoft an astronomical amount of money already.
Oh, you played it? Crackdown? When?

iHaunter

Kind of embarrassing that Red Faction Guerrilla did a much better job so many years ago.

I would be so mad if I was an Xbox fan, so many of their games failing to deliver frequently.

Last edited:

Pallas

Kind of embarrassing that Red Faction Guerrilla did a much better job so many years ago.

I would be so mad if I was an Xbox fan, so many of their games failing to deliver frequently.

You have to take other things into consideration when you are comparing the destruction mechanic in both of these games. I have never played RFG so I can’t speak of it much but I imagine CD3’s multiplayer was more frantic, and faster pace, especially vertically speaking, the scale of it. Not to mention syncing everything up so that every participant on the map saw the same destruction.

Like I said, I never played RFG, so I can’t say they had the same thing or not, but those things need to be taken into consideration. Because some of the videos and gifs I saw on Reset were pretty amazing on the amount of destruction.

Jaw1love

Banned
90% of the people in here have no idea what Crackdown is/was and have never had any interest in playing the game. They just see Xbox exclusive and have to jump in with a bunch of dumb comments

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
90% of the people in here have no idea what Crackdown is/was and have never had any interest in playing the game. They just see Xbox exclusive and have to jump in with a bunch of dumb comments

Then why don't you see this level of "hate" when it comes to Cuphead, Halo, Gears, Ori, Forza and Sunset Overdrive?

Because people see them as good games.

The things people are complaining about are likely going to be shown in the reviews and that's what generally turns people off. Not only does this happens to Xbox games, but this happens to Xbox, Switch and multiplatform games, too.

It's like people cannot have an opinion how the game looks without people getting defensive. If this game was receiving good reviews, more people would be interested in playing it.

Jaw1love

Banned
Then why don't you see this level of "hate" when it comes to Cuphead, Halo, Gears, Ori, Forza and Sunset Overdrive?

The things people are complaining about are likely going to be shown in the reviews and that's what generally turns people off. Not only does this happens to Xbox games, but this happens to Xbox, Switch and multiplatform games, too.

It's like people cannot have an opinion how the game looks without people getting defensive. If this game was receiving good reviews, more people would be interested in playing it.
Lol

Psykodad

Banned
Typical MS PR-fluff.

All they ever do is overhype their products and underdeliver and people fall for it again and again and again and again, well into next-gen.

It's also amazing to see the mental gymnastics in this thread after years of "wait til Crackdown 3".

It's borderline sad, tbh.

Last edited:

haha even you acknowledge that this is all just pure hate. It's almost like the game being discussed is irrelevant. Maybe if Stoyax had ever posted anything positive in an xbox thread then people who actually play xbox games would take him more seriously. But this is just another thread for shit posts, and for the posters to excuse their shit posting by claiming everyone else is being 'defensive." Which is basically every xbox thread these days lol.
Typical MS PR-fluff.

All they ever do is overhype their products and underdeliver and people fall for it again and again and again and again, well into next-gen.

It's also amazing to see the mental gymnastics in this thread after years of "wait til Crackdown 3".

Maybe i've just been MIA or something but i don't recall there being a die hard train of people exclaiming, " just wait until Crackdown 3!!" I mean is that a carry over from like the IGN message boards or something? Sounds like another clever way to conveniently throw shade at people are who were or are genuinely excited about the game. This whole thread is idiotic because people are acting like a game that has had serious development struggles was somehow supposed to knock it out of the ball park. I've never seen anyone have that kind of expectation for a game that has struggled so much. Well, correction, I've never seen that before aside from here on gaf, when it comes to something from Microsoft. You can tell from the OP that the intention wasn't to express genuine disappointment. Rather it was simply to start another xbox bashing thread by someone who could give 2 shits about the xbox.

Dlacy13g

Disappointing they decided to move the review date.... Its the first bad PR move I feel they have made for a long time. The writing has been on the wall for a while that this was never going to review great. Doesn't really instill a lot of confidence in this reviewing even as a mediocre game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
haha even you acknowledge that this is all just pure hate. It's almost like the game being discussed is irrelevant. Maybe if Stoyax had ever posted anything positive in an xbox thread then people who actually play xbox games would take him more seriously. But this is just another thread for shit posts, and for the posters to excuse their shit posting by claiming everyone else is being 'defensive." Which is basically every xbox thread these days lol.

I said "hate" which means the word hate wasn't suppose to be taken seriously.

State of Decay launched with a glitches and that's what people complained about on the thread, yet you've seen Xbox fanboys getting upset whenever someone pointed this out.

Now we have a downgrade and Xbox fans are making excuses after they PROMISED what they showed in 2015 would appear in the final game.

No game is perfect.

Witcher was criticized for being downgraded, but many people still considered it a great game. The fact that Xbox fans on here generally make excuses for lack of content, launching a game with a lack of content and downgrades just goes to show you that you don't care about MS trying to make their games better for the future.

I used Street Fighter and Gran Turismo Sport as examples because PlayStation fans complained about it and said it was unacceptable. But MS? You guys generally ignore it and just get upset when people point it out.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Eh, I'm subbed to gamepass. It's not like I'm dropping $60 on this. Just me checking it out pays for half my year. Gears or Halo (whichever releases this year) will pay for the other half and that's not including whatever the hell else I'm going to check out what they add in the mean time.

LOL at the people who say that Red Faction: Guerrilla has better destruction. Those are some amazing rose colored glasses you have there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Witcher was criticized for being downgraded, but many people still considered it a great game. The fact that Xbox fans on here generally make excuses for lack of content, launching a game with a lack of content and downgrades just goes to show you that you don't care about MS trying to make their games better for the future.
This situation is pretty different, I'd argue. The actual Crackdown 3, the campaign, never had anything to do with that 2015 demo. The two parts of the game were made by different studios and it's obvious that it's gone through development hell anyways.

Crackdown 3 campaign is the actual sequel, Wrecking Zone is that multiplayer thing with the major downgrades. The campaign was not downgraded but Wrecking Zone definitely was.

Which shows how much of a failure the PR was for this initially...

Grinchy

Banned
Typical MS PR-fluff.

I don't know if I'd put this game in the same category, but they really do do this way too often. Sony still gets shit on for the Killzone 2 thing (an internal video Guerilla Games made that never was supposed to be seen publicly) to this day. Yet, Microsoft has shown a ton of bullshit over the years. Just off the top of my head,
  • Halo 2 reveal was shown in a state they knew would never actually run on an xbox, which is strangely similar to the Killzone 2 reveal
  • Milo
  • Other fake gameplay reveals for Kinect like Star Wars, where the guy pretends to be doing the moves and they aren't lining up properly
  • Minecraft for Hololens
I know I'm forgetting others but I can't sit here all night trying to come up with the list. The point is that Microsoft loves overhyping when they don't have enough to show. They spent a big chunk of their Xbox E3 2015 conference talking about Hololens - a product that would never be connected with Xbox in any way and still does not play Minecraft to this day if you buy one for $3000.

LMJ

I think D dark10x nailed it...

I can't wait to play Crackdown 3, really looking forward to it absolutely loved the first one, and it's a shame that was demoed ultimately will have an effect on what I'm hoping is a phenomenal first player mode. I do feel sorry for the developers on that one...

That being said, anyone with eyes can tell that the destruction that was originally demoed does not match what is currently being shown doesn't mean it's not fun, doesn't mean what we actually get can't be a blast, but let's still be honest.

That being said more Crackdown for me is it good thing :messenger_beaming: Crackdown = crack lol

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, this is literally the first time I've seen a downgrade thread on NG. And anyway, it's only the physics in MP they've downgraded, it's not like they've done something horribly egregious like swapped a reflexion texture in a puddle or anything as bad as that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This situation is pretty different, I'd argue. The actual Crackdown 3, the campaign, never had anything to do with that 2015 demo. The two parts of the game were made by different studios and it's obvious that it's gone through development hell anyways.

Crackdown 3 campaign is the actual sequel, Wrecking Zone is that multiplayer thing with the major downgrades. The campaign was not downgraded but Wrecking Zone definitely was.

Which shows how much of a failure the PR was for this initially...

Yeah, my biggest issue that people are going to point out downgrades regardless of which platform you're on. I also think it's on the developers to make it clear that a game may look different when it's released.

I enjoyed the Cyerpunk 2077 demo, but they gave a clear disclaimer by stating, "Before we start, a small, but important disclaimer - the gameplay you're about to see is from a work-in-progress version of the game. Everything you see is potentially subject to change." I think we should see more of this in the future and I think it helps if fans give their honest opinion.

I don't like the art style, but still think the destruction is impressive, even if it's nothing like the tech demo.

Psykodad

Banned
Maybe i've just been MIA or something but i don't recall there being a die hard train of people exclaiming, " just wait until Crackdown 3!!" I mean is that a carry over from like the IGN message boards or something? Sounds like another clever way to conveniently throw shade at people are who were or are genuinely excited about the game. This whole thread is idiotic because people are acting like a game that has had serious development struggles was somehow supposed to knock it out of the ball park. I've never seen anyone have that kind of expectation for a game that has struggled so much. Well, correction, I've never seen that before aside from here on gaf, when it comes to something from Microsoft. You can tell from the OP that the intention wasn't to express genuine disappointment. Rather it was simply to start another xbox bashing thread by someone who could give 2 shits about the xbox.

My comment wasn't even about Crackdown exclusively. It's about MS and XBO as a whole this gen.
Even on neogaf, before all the drama over here happened and when I was still just a lurker, lots of people were swearing by "the power of the cloud", the "future" and about Crackdown 3 too.

But as time went by, it became more and more evident that it was all smoke and mirrors. This entire gen.
Sure, there are level-headed people around, but you can hardly act like what I said earlier is some far-fetched fanboy-rambling.
Or maybe it is, or maybe it is what you take from it. I don't really care, tbh.

Gavon West

My comment wasn't even about Crackdown exclusively. It's about MS and XBO as a whole this gen.
Even on neogaf, before all the drama over here happened and when I was still just a lurker, lots of people were swearing by "the power of the cloud", the "future" and about Crackdown 3 too.

But as time went by, it became more and more evident that it was all smoke and mirrors. This entire gen.
Sure, there are level-headed people around, but you can hardly act like what I said earlier is some far-fetched fanboy-rambling.
Or maybe it is, or maybe it is what you take from it. I don't really care, tbh.
The Cloud destruction is real tho! What are you talking about? Smoke-n-Mirrors?

UnfitRedFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

DisfiguredHeavyAruanas-size_restricted.gif

Can you show me the Smoke-n-Mirrors" in the above?

And please, spare me the RF and BF comparisons. We both know Red Faction or BF doesnt compare - not even in the same league.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This gens weak machines are holding games back
Stating this when the consoles have just celebrated their 5th anniversary is a bit meaningless, no?

As for the game itself, it was always an Azure posterboy. I understood why they wanted it in, but in doing so created an extra dependency. What if the Azure servers are shut down? What consequences will that have for the game? Will you still be able to play it with reduced local physics or does the game nope you out, essentially leaving you with a disc?

I am sure this question has been answered but perhaps someone can fill me in on that.

Gamernyc78

Banned
You can tell most people complaining are people who have never played crackdown or have a clue.

Also was this ever shared? Game looks and plays great considering half way through Epic bought cloudgine, jones left Reagent games, everyone from reagent followed to go to Epic etc

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/20/17483492/crackdown-3-microsoft-developer-reagent-games

Since you are insinuating most ppl complaining haven't played the game and went on to quote polygon about its development issues, Why didn't you post polygons article stating that the destruction is nowhere near as promised and saying tht the game was underwhelming? They stated the mp is sorta fun but alluded to it being generic. I'm sure they played the mp :)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/1/18201025/crackdown-3-preview-windows-pc-xbox-one-terry-crews
You can tell most people complaining are people who have never played crackdown or have a clue.

Also was this ever shared? Game looks and plays great considering half way through Epic bought cloudgine, jones left Reagent games, everyone from reagent followed to go to Epic etc

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/20/17483492/crackdown-3-microsoft-developer-reagent-games

Psykodad

Banned
The Cloud destruction is real tho! What are you talking about? Smoke-n-Mirrors?

UnfitRedFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

DisfiguredHeavyAruanas-size_restricted.gif

Can you show me the Smoke-n-Mirrors" in the above?

And please, spare me the RF and BF comparisons. We both know Red Faction or BF doesnt compare - not even in the same league.
Cut the crap.
The destruction is nowhere near what they were claiming and showing before.

That's why I said MS keeps underdelivering.
Also, smoke n mirrors wasn't exclusively about Crackdown.

If you're excited to play Crackdown and if you're impressed by the cloud-powered destruction, power to ya.

I'm just saying it's funny to see people. being let down over and over and trying to defend MS to no end.

Gavon West

Cut the crap.
The destruction is nowhere near what they were claiming and showing before.

That's why I said MS keeps underdelivering.
Also, smoke n mirrors wasn't exclusively about Crackdown.

If you're excited to play Crackdown and if you're impressed by the cloud-powered destruction, power to ya.

I'm just saying it's funny to see people. being let down over and over and trying to defend MS to no end.
Oh, please! Nothing was under-delivered. The Cloud destruction works. And the game looks like a modern-day Crackdown Trying to down play only serves to prove youre either blind or a hater. It was scaled back for good reason.

And I fail to understand how development challenges and long dev time means the game is actually bad. That's about the dumbest thing Ive heard all gen. Typically, they delay a game to make sure it's right? I doubt you even plan to play the game, or even remotely interested in it, so what't your point again? Shouldnt you just be happy with the games YOU enjoy?

For someone who doesnt plan on playing Crackdown your entire rant comes down to, "I dont like this game and I dont like that other people do." GTFO. Lol.

Top Bottom