• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craig Ferguson may be getting replaced as Late Late Show host

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Youtube clips I've seen Ferguson's show seems really weird and very self-aware of it's existence as a TV show. Seems really interesting and unique but I totally get why he wouldn't work at 11:30.

Shame he might be out of a job, I feel like a show like that should have a place.

I would expect him to throw his wait behind Craig for sure, especially since his company produces Craig's show.
His company only produces Craig's show while Dave is host of the Late Show. Once he retires the 12:30 time slot becomes property of CBS. Part of Dave's contract was having control of the 12:30 time slot as well. That's one of the reasons the current rumors have started. Because any deal done with Craig before was done through Dave's company. After Dave leaves and Craig's contract comes up in 2015 he's gotta negotiate a deal with CBS instead.

On the bright side, apparently Craig gets a 8-10 million bonus for not getting the Late Show job.

gabbo

I'm kind of wondering why NBC and CBS even need two hours of talk shows at all. Don't get me wronf Ferguson is the only one I can stand but is10 hours of programming a week really necessary? Just show some reruns for fucks sake.

They rarely all do 5 shows a week.

A-V-B said:
This is insane! Replace Ferguson?! With who?! Who offers the kind of entertainment Craig does? I never watched late late night before Craig, and I'll probably never watch it after him. He's just such a unique, interesting dude. Don't do it, CBS.
Go for broke, give it BACK to Kilborn.

Shaneus

Moon Bloodgood + Carrie Keagan

tumblr_mrkj6ibCyF1r0ftodo1_400.gif
This is the first I've heard of Carrie Keagan.

Crikey.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Craig Ferguson is perfect where he is. He is hilarious with his interviews..

it would be unfortunate if cbs really decides to replace him.

Akahige

His company only produces Craig's show while Dave is host of the Late Show. Once he retires the 12:30 time slot becomes property of CBS. Part of Dave's contract was having control of the 12:30 time slot as well. That's one of the reasons the current rumors have started. Because any deal done with Craig before was done through Dave's company. After Dave leaves and Craig's contract comes up in 2015 he's gotta negotiate a deal with CBS instead.

On the bright side, apparently Craig gets a 8-10 million bonus for not getting the Late Show job.
Goddam good for Craig

mj1108

There is a severe lack of Larry King, Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell in this thread.

Mila Kunis interview 1/7/11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLChxyI7MW8#t=1011

Kristen Bell intro with Craig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGh9pjP5QnA

Kristen Bell - every single interview with her.... like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVndKjPKyzo

Larry King - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-qLuDCni3w#t=1185

Sad day for america if Craig leaves
Loves his style, charisma and interviews with women

Learned a lot from him

I still swear guys who need to learn how to talk to women should just watch his interviews.

From the Youtube clips I've seen Ferguson's show seems really weird and very self-aware of it's existence as a TV show. Seems really interesting and unique but I totally get why he wouldn't work at 11:30.

Shame he might be out of a job, I feel like a show like that should have a place.

That's just it -- there isn't a show with the same style/tone as Ferguson's. CBS is ragging on his ratings when in fact they have done jack shit to promote the show. The April Fools Day switcheroo promotion gave the show more promotion than it's had in probably the last 10 years combined. CBS's current extent of advertising the show during primetime is they have a 29.5 second commerical for Letterman and in the last half second a voice says "then catch Craig". That's it. It's been that way for YEARS.

Ratings of the lead-in are another issue. Take last Tuesday for instance in the 25 market that have Local People Meters for ages 18-49:, Fallon had a 1.2/6, Dave had a 0.4/2 and Kimmel had a 0.5/2 in the 18-49 bracket. That ended up giving Seth a 0.7 and Craig a 0.3. I am sure with a better lead-in Craig would be doing better.

isual

There is a severe lack of Larry King, Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell in this thread.

Kristen Bell - every single interview with her.... like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVndKjPKyzo

I still swear guys who need to learn how to talk to women should just watch his interviews.

That's just it -- there isn't a show with the same style/tone as Ferguson's. CBS is ragging on his ratings when in fact they have done jack shit to promote the show. The April Fools Day switcheroo promotion gave the show more promotion than it's had in probably the last 10 years combined. CBS's current extent of advertising the show during primetime is they have a 29.5 second commerical for Letterman and in the last half second a voice says "then catch Craig". That's it. It's been that way for YEARS.

Ratings of the lead-in are another issue. Take last Tuesday for instance in the 25 market that have Local People Meters for ages 18-49:, Fallon had a 1.2/6, Dave had a 0.4/2 and Kimmel had a 0.5/2 in the 18-49 bracket. That ended up giving Seth a 0.7 and Craig a 0.3. I am sure with a better lead-in Craig would be doing better.

have you seen the one when they were in France and interviewing Jean Reno, craig said something about love and then Kristen bell just sighed?

dat moment

IceCold

I've been watching a bunch of his interviews with Kristen Bell and I think I have a new celebrity crush. Dax is a lucky mofo.

Nephtis

If he loses his job, i hope cable has the sense to snatch him up and give him the Conan treatment.

I may actually turn to a cable channel if so. An unrestrained Craig would be fantastic.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If he loses his job, i hope cable has the sense to snatch him up and give him the Conan treatment.

I may actually turn to a cable channel if so. An unrestrained Craig would be fantastic.

Can you imagine Craig as Conan's follow-up? A Conan/Craig late-night block would be AMAZING.

Mendoza

I'm with the people who don't like him.

I guess I don't understand him, but I find him to not be funny at all. He's better than Fallon though.

The only host I like is Conan, if that says anything.

But I see that a lot of people really like him, so in that regard it's a shame that he's getting the axe.

Shaneus

Oh, oops. Forgot that was a thing (haven't watched TBS in a long time, haha).
You really need to watch it if you haven't already. Or watch the clips on YT, which I have to resort to because no-one uploads the show you Usenet/torrents and it's not streamed live from anywhere :/

I'm with the people who don't like him.

I guess I don't understand him, but I find him to not be funny at all. He's better than Fallon though.

The only host I like is Conan, if that says anything.

But I see that a lot of people really like him, so in that regard it's a shame that he's getting the axe.

Craig is the only late night host that makes you feel like you'd want to sit down and have a beer with him. If that's the kind of television you like, then you get him. He's funny, but down to earth, and even if his jokes aren't the most amazingly clever in the world, it has this very not-at-all scripted feel that's quite enjoyable.

That's my take. Others might disagree.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Craig is the only late night host that makes you feel like you'd want to sit down and have a beer with him. If that's the kind of television you like, then you get him. He's funny, but down to earth, and even if his jokes aren't the most amazingly clever in the world, it has this very not-at-all scripted feel that's quite enjoyable.

I really think the show has this punk rock, anti-Jay Leno feel. Where Leno thrived off of relentless prep and repetition, Craig is the polar opposite, it seems. I'm sure he preps for shows, but it doesn't feel like it, which is great.

Jay Sosa

Yep that's what I love most about the show, it's basically stand up and you never know what you get. Plus the interviews are great, you can see the guests appreciating someone asking them interesting questions instead of the "I heard you just bought a new house" crap.

I tried watching that new one with the SNL guy but everything was just so scripted and predictable, just like all the other talk shows (I know) beside the LLS.

BBboy20

Special Messages From former President Bill Clinton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIkBbWk7IXE

The dude I remember fondly from the Drew Carry Show has been in a talk show for 9 years yet has not yet won an Emmy with all this "material"? What. The. Fuck.

This is the first I've heard of Carrie Keagan.

Crikey.
I was like ".........who is this chick?" so I Googled her up and eventually found this:
avatar_carrie_keagan_zSsRrP5.sized.gif

I think I'm in love...

I've been watching a bunch of his interviews with Kristen Bell and I think I have a new celebrity crush. Dax is a lucky mofo.
Crazy thing they both were in my city as a stop as they were traveling up north and only found out about it because they talked to a friend who went to the same school I did. Too bad I forgot to Kickstart the Veronica Mars movie. =/ (On the topic of late night: another high school friend also is one of the writers [and actors] on the Jimmy Fallon show and has recently written a Marvel comic).

jred2k

I've been watching some of the interviews posted in this thread and they are amazing. I'm not as comfortable around some of my family and friends as Craig is around someone like Scarlett Johansson. It's such a different energy than any other late night talk show host has.

I really think the show has this punk rock, anti-Jay Leno feel. Where Leno thrived off of relentless prep and repetition, Craig is the polar opposite, it seems. I'm sure he preps for shows, but it doesn't feel like it, which is great.

It's why I love him! Well, maybe not a beer, but a soda.

Jay Sosa

Welcome to the club! I can't believe how many shitty movies I've watched just because of her.

Btw...did I miss her or hasn't she been on in quite some time?

Blader

If Craig was actually replaced, he'd just go somewhere else, right? I think the only thing more depressing than Craig getting fired would Craig being off TV completely as a host.

riotous

Banned
I saw Chelsea Handler do standup once... my god.. it was terrible.

Her opening act was awful too, but compared to her he was a comedic genius.

She kept doing call-backs to this lame joke she did about a Russian guy grabbing his crotch.. she'd just randomly do this dumb Russian accent and grab her crotch. Like a half dozen times.

Un-funny callback way overdone.. lol.

Philippo

Nooo, i loved him :(

He has a great chemistry with everyone!

I just hope he'll make in time to interview Capaldi for Doctor Who.

Karak

I love Craig, best late night host ever, I always upload his shows on youtube.

I really hope this isn't true.

Me too. I stopped watching most late night it just wasn't my thing. I thank god a coworker showed me a clip of his. A breath of fresh air for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Most of the complaints I've heard about Craig is about him being a gay European.

He's straight, and Scottish, which is like Europe's epic crown. They don't think of themselves as European, they think of themselves as ConneryBravehearts.

Honest Edit.

Actually, tbh, it's more like North of the Wall from Game of Thrones. We're even the same color as the White Walkers. And there is actually a wall built by Rome to keep us away from civilization.

KaiserBecks

Careful now, you'll be called a troll for not thinking he's a comedic genius

I'd actually love to know why you guys can't stand him. To me, he seems to be the exact opposite of guys like letterman and leno. I've only seen clips (of all of them) here and there though, since I don't have American tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom