• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash 4 (Overly Cynical Youtube Video)

SegaShack

In short, people saw a Crash Bandicoot 4 page on the MS store said that the game supports in game purchases (could be DLC, microtransactions, etc).

-Before this rumor is even substantiated this youtuber made a long form rant video that is complete cringe. Do you think this guy is a joy to be around in parties?

-Activision then clarifies the game doesn't even have microtransactions

Yet his video is still up.

There's tons of videos online reviewing media with great legitimate complaints and then there's these youtubers who spend their whole life bashing media creators with extremely lengthy videos. They appear to be popular too.

Sometimes a cynical movie review will be recommnended to me by youtube and it's 40 minutes (of someone looking like a nerd breaking down everything). Why not just watch the movie?

Even Nostalgia Critic videos seem to be up to an hour now while they used to be 6 minutes.

The youtuber angry ranting at game companies thing to me just makes most gamers look like idiots. Why not do a video in a normal tone?

Is anyone else tired of long form cynical youtube videos?

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

I keep forgetting he exists. I used to be subbed to him until 3 years ago when I noticed all he did was going after topics that were controversial and it got tiring.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I hate long form whinge videos but Jim's are generally 10-15 mins or less. I like most of Jim's videos because I like to be informed on what not to support. I hate games with microtransactions and loot boxes.

supernova8

Banned
I unsubbed and clicked on the thingy-muh-mob to stop YouTube recommending his videos/channel. Just watched the first 10 seconds and definitely don't regret the decision.

It's like, alright Jim you fucking downer.

To be fair, him shedding light on microtransactions may have been a small contribution to stuff like Battlefront being partially fixed but I wouldn't give him that much credit.

SegaShack

Thanks Gaf for being a breath of fresh air. I feel if I posted this anywhere else people would see it as me siding with the big bad game companies. Really I don't care for either, but cringey over analytical youtubers are pretty annoying IMo.

Kuranghi

In short, people saw a Crash Bandicoot 4 page on the MS store said that the game supports in game purchases (could be DLC, microtransactions, etc).

-Before this rumor is even substantiated this youtuber made a long form rant video that is complete cringe. Do you think this guy is a joy to be around in parties?

-Activision then clarifies the game doesn't even have microtransactions

Yet his video is still up.

There's tons of videos online reviewing media with great legitimate complaints and then there's these youtubers who spend their whole life bashing media creators with extremely lengthy videos. They appear to be popular too.

Sometimes a cynical movie review will be recommnended to me by youtube and it's 40 minutes (of someone looking like a nerd breaking down everything). Why not just watch the movie?

Even Nostalgia Critic videos seem to be up to an hour now while they used to be 6 minutes.

The youtuber angry ranting at game companies thing to me just makes most gamers look like idiots. Why not do a video in a normal tone?

Is anyone else tired of long form cynical youtube videos?

Check out Mauler on youtube, or rather never watch his videoes if you think 40 mins is long because his videoes are like 12 hours long discussing one movie, or even just a TV show episode lol

Kuranghi

I used to like Jim Sterling's videoes, but even just in the last month or two he has gone kinda nuts, I think the isolation really made him go loopy and/or he's caught up in the hysteria of hating cops because he thinks they hunt black people, a think a few videoes back and he started it with an excerpt from the fresh prince intro: "...a cab..." as a cowardly way to say ACAB, ie "All Cops Are Bastards", which I told him I thought was not very funny in these times, considering how much shit they have been taking recently and how out of hand stuff got in the first week of June.

He wouldn't say it was a joke so I have to assume he agrees with it and I think its shitty. Its worse than saying a fireman is a bastard, they literally risk their lives to protect society, I don't doubt there are problems, not enough training, etc, but they are doing the best they can with the money they are alotted.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I like long video game (entertainment in general) analysis videos, whether they be cynical or not. However, moaning about gaming industry bullshit is so low effort, I wouldn't even compare.

A fine line between cynical and miserable. I do not enjoy Jim's videos anymore.

Aidah

I don't like the guy himself, but the more people who highlight that sort of garbage the better.

Also, didn't they say CTR won't have mtx before it came out? Activision confirming something isn't that meaningful.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I like Jim's videos, but I can rarely finish one. I feel like he goes on repeat with the topic and he could easily cut the run time in half to share his thoughts.

Top Bottom