• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Remastered

Di72Tbd.png

I only made this because I thought it said 'twerked' at first

Actually it looks good like this

Please make him like this

I think it's pretty bad that they had nothing to show for it but I guess it would have been a lot worse if the Skylander news came up with nothing else.

I hope we get the first glimpse at PSX if it truly is coming next year.

I think it's pretty bad that they had nothing to show for it but I guess it would have been a lot worse if the Skylander news came up with nothing else.

Yep. That's why i was dissappointed. If you have nothing to show just don't say anything... I would have preferred that way, i mean even kojima brought a trailer and he doesn't even have an engine lol.

Hope to see something at psx, they need to show something.

Drencrom

That's what I expect, a perfect fit for a fan event like PSX.

Yep. That's why i was dissappointed. If you have nothing to show just don't say anything... I would have preferred that way, i mean even kojima brought a trailer and he doesn't even have an engine lol.

That would be devastating in this case, I would promise you a ton of people would go absolute bonkers and mad if they only announced the Crash Skylanders thing at E3. Announcing the Crash remaster/remake collection even without any footage was the right choice.

R&C has totally new elements, different story, added sections.
It's a remake/reimagining.
Crash Bandicoot sounds like only the graphics are being redone but the levels, story and other elements will still be the same hence why they can afford to make a collection.
It makes sense for them to use their Skylanders engine and know how to make these remasters. The fact that Crash is in Skylanders might not be random in this sense.
But we'll see, I guess that PSX is the ideal event to get an update on this project.

Just using the Skylanders engine would be kinda disappointing honestly. Considering their linear structure the games could really look great on PS4. Just going for a Skylanders look wouldn't bring a lot to the game I feel.

Freeman

Banned
If this end up being a Remake and Sony announced it as a remaster while not showing anything, they just don't get it.

Do we have info on who is making this?

If this end up being a Remake and Sony announced it as a remaster while not showing anything, they just don't get it.

Do we have info on who is making this?

Vicarious visions aka skylanders team aka the makers of some of the so-so post ND crash games

Also I get the feeling the remake / remaster exists at this stage.

Despite what some think I don't think there has been this grand plan for Crashs return and this only got greenlit recently

I'm more shocked by the fact that it took this long to put him in Skylanders. Hell Donkey Kong and Bowser beat him to the punch o_O

Maybe Activision took notice after all the hype, rumors and subtle Sony hints (which may or may not have been intentional).

RK128

I think that there really is a plan in mind for Crash as an IP going forward, for at least the next two-three years. Him being in Skylanders is what will introduce him to newer generations while the remasters/remakes next year will help re-introduce Crash to new and old gamers alike in addition to winning over older fans of the series.

Then, a new game goes into development (either from Activision via Vicarious Visions or Sony via Studio Japan) riding off the success/likely success of the announced projects for Crash that this E3 presented. How THAT game does, will impact the future of the series.

One more thing though, the idea of Crash in Skylanders being a 'test' to see how the remakes will look isn't that far off. This new Skylanders WILL have a stage on the Wampa Islands and for all we know, this will be designed by Vicarious Visions. Meaning, we will be getting our first 'taste' of this remake/remaster this Fall not just with Crash himself but through a Skylanders level. And they are long, as I remember stages in Swap Force taking 30-50 minutes at points.

Even if no grand plan is in motion though, as least Activision and Sony are taking a good first-step forward with the series again.

That's what I expect, a perfect fit for a fan event like PSX.

That would be devastating in this case, I would promise you a ton of people would go absolute bonkers and mad if they only announced the Crash Skylanders thing at E3. Announcing the Crash remaster/remake collection even without any footage was the right choice.

What i meant is just don't talk about crash at all, skylanders included lol. Just bring both at psx.

Elios83

Just using the Skylanders engine would be kinda disappointing honestly. Considering their linear structure the games could really look great on PS4. Just going for a Skylanders look wouldn't bring a lot to the game I feel.

The specific look can be tweaked based on the different personality of the game, my point was just that it's realistic to think that the dev team will use the modern technology they own and they're comfortable working with to develop the remasters and that would be the Skylanders engine.
The Skylanders engine is pretty good and high quality to make modern cartoon-like graphics with platform oriented gameplay.
Of course let's not go from one extreme to the other.
Obviously they're not leaving the games in their old Psone graphics glory but these won't be individual remakes developed by Naughty Dog either :p
I certainly would be happy if they remade the same old linear levels of the original games with these graphics:
giphy.gif

And I see this as the best case scenario for this collection.
Worst case we're looking at Ocarina N64->3DS situation.

Warxard

Banned
Recent IGN interview with Vicarious Visions had the guy saying that the remasters was some 'crazy-full on remaster' or something lol

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If it's a Crash Collection, they should include all of those awesome Crash commercials, with him trolling other products as bonus material on the disc. I never played the games outside of demos, but those commercials cracked me up.

Not

Banned
One of my best memories is going through the whole first game with a friend in like a day in grade school

doofy102

It's a shame they didn't have a trailer ready. That really would've exploded over the internet. Not that the announcement didn't to some degree. I've seen so many random people on facebook sharing the news about Crash, mind-blown and excited.

OjYwbTT.gif

I've never really payed attention to Skylanders, but watching the Crash footage, is it just me or does it actually not look.. that... bad....? Fun even? What's the GAF consensus on this one?

Ehhh you kinda got rid of the upward slope of his chest, so not he looks like a skinny log with arms. I think the issue is the line dividing his mouth and chest. I remove it here, and it's a subtle change, but I think it helps a lot:

The Crash model has been sort of dumb since day 1, so this isn't that much of a stretch. I like that he almost looks like the dude in the costume from the commercials.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah, the Crash design is one that seems very easy to mess up in the wrong hands, but I like this one a lot. It's just a logical, modern technology take on the old model.

Must admit, when he started spinning in that video I couldn't control the stupid grin on my face. I have the same hype for this as I imagine people did for FFVII, Shenmue 3 and The Last Guardian at E3 2015.

Servbot24

Banned
OjYwbTT.gif

I've never really payed attention to Skylanders, but watching the Crash footage, is it just me or does it actually not look.. that... bad....? Fun even? What's the GAF consensus on this one?

Ehhh you kinda got rid of the upward slope of his chest, so not he looks like a skinny log with arms. I think the issue is the line dividing his mouth and chest. I remove it here, and it's a subtle change, but I think it helps a lot:

This design honestly looks pretty good to me. Not quite true to the original... but the original kinda sucks anyways.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What I'm not getting is the tongue thing. Did Crash ever have a thing about sticking his tongue out all the time? He seems to be doing it a lot here.

Skylanders' Crash is actually the closest I've seen him look to the original concept art from Charles Zembilas, as well as the artwork for the original trilogy. I actually really like it! My only issues being him having more of a neck than usual... and the omission of his 5 fingered hands. What a weird change.

EDIT: OH. Looks like concept art Crash also had 4 fingered hands. I guess they really wanted to channel that appearance the most. O:

SNURB

Since this thread is dealing with the remakes/remasters/what have you, I thought I'd bring this up:
A8C43F8A-6208-43E4-B19D-02A862DC36BA_zpsjanjaieb.jpg

BruceLeeRoy teased about a Crash revival since late 2014/early 2015 so I believe this is a pretty good indication that these have been in development for over a year now. I expect them to be release roughly around O3 or Q4 of 2017 at best.

Since this thread is dealing with the remakes/remasters/what have you, I thought I'd bring this up:
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/NYankeesFan95/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/A8C43F8A-6208-43E4-B19D-02A862DC36BA_zpsjanjaieb.jpg[/IMG
BruceLeeRoy teased about a Crash revival since late 2014/early 2015 so I believe this is a pretty good indication that these have been in development for over a year now. I expect them to be release roughly around O3 or Q4 of 2017 at best.[/QUOTE]

Even weirder that they showed zero visuals of the remakes at all. Not a screenshot, or a character model (unless it's the direct Skylanders design, which I'd be okay with). Maybe they're saving it for a proper full-blown reveal at PSX?

Even weirder that they showed zero visuals of the remakes at all. Not a screenshot, or a character model (unless it's the direct Skylanders design, which I'd be okay with). Maybe they're saving it for a proper full-blown reveal at PSX?
Activision probably also wants the focus on Skylanders Crash anyways

As it stands the Skylanders announcement was already "yeah, we know, but we have to do this". Right now anyone wanting a new Crash might actually want to cave and go for the Skylanders thing, while they wait to hear more about the remakes

PSX is after Skylanders is out so we'll definitely see it then

A8C43F8A-6208-43E4-B19D-02A862DC36BA_zpsjanjaieb.jpg

BruceLeeRoy teased about a Crash revival since late 2014/early 2015 so I believe this is a pretty good indication that these have been in development for over a year now. I expect them to be release roughly around O3 or Q4 of 2017 at best.
Amazing.

It happened with Bloodborne. They showed full CG at E3 2014 and it came out March 2015.

So, that may be what they are doing here.

SNURB

They did the same thing with Ratchet.

They announced the remake at E3 2014 without showing anything of it and boom, one year later at E3 2015 we get a trailer and gameplay.

Although I don't think they would wait that long. We'll probably see it at PSX in December.

Roo

Yeah, they'll most likely will until PSX to show any actual gameplay/screenshots.
They will let Skylanders shine first.

Amazing.

It happened with Bloodborne. They showed full CG at E3 2014 and it came out March 2015.

So, that may be what they are doing here.
Bloodborne actually had some gameplay leak out during E3, and they eventually posted a video of it. I remember offscreen footage of the hunter climbing the first big ladder before the Central Yharnam lamp

They announced the remake at E3 2014 without showing anything of it and boom, one year later at E3 2015 we get a trailer and gameplay.

Although I don't think they would wait that long. We'll probably see it at PSX in December.
Ratchet's release seemed heavily dependent on the movie, so at least they have that going for them.

SNURB

Yea, but I think the movie was wrapped up by then so they had to wait on the game to get finished.

I'm not complaining. Skylanders will quench my thirst by the time the remakes come out and I'll play the originals to build up hype.

Struct09

I don't think I'll ever understand the love for the Crash games outside of CTR, but I'm happy for the people who are happy that this will exist.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

prob dont want to show anything until skylanders is out to make sure people buy that

Yeah, they'll most likely will until PSX to show any actual gameplay/screenshots.
They will let Skylanders shine first.

Yeah, I definitely think we'll get the first footage at PSX after Skylanders is out. Crash coming back is also for the fans so that timing will seemingly work well since that event is also a little more about catering to long-time fans.

bunkitz

Wouldn't that mean a 2018 release? Although, to be honest, I wouldn't mind waiting for it. There are many games between then and now, so it won't be too hard doing so. I'm still thinking of a 2017 release, though.

I'd be happy with the Skylanders model. It looks really good and I think it's an accurate representation of Crash with today's technology. I'm just curious if that's the art style they're going with or if it will have its own look.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ugh, I just watched the Skylanders video. He's doing that awful babble-talk thing he did in the later Crash games. He doesn't even go "Whoa!" when he dies in the video. Feeling a little ill now.

zoukka

Heh I liked the Skylanders design day1. Good to see people slowly starting to warm up to it. It has that old school goofiness I love in platformers. Crash doesn't need voice acting either.

I hated the trend of turning silly platforming characters into emo teens during the PS2 days. RIP Jak and Sonic.

Top Bottom