• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Remastered

When do you think we will get a release date (actual date not just 2017) for this? I'm guessing PSX...

Eh... I'm not sure about that one. While I would love this to be a 2017 title (I'm guessing all three games will be in one package), they haven't shown any assets for the game yet. This strikes me as a deal that was just recently made and thus, won't be out until late 2017 or early 2018 at the earliest.

SNURB

Now, if we took the game at face-value and ignored CTR, then sure. It's an excellent kart racing game. Far greater than Double Dash, though that doesn't take much. If VV could have been the game more responsive and a bit more original (small things like text is fine, but not the majority of tracks), then I have confidence in them remaking the original games. They've grown since then, and I'm sure with their blatant understanding of Crash, as evident of how faithfully they brought what felt like Crash 2/3/WoC to the GBA as solid 2D side-scrolling platformers, that they can crank out a faithful recreation of the originals. However, I also fear that a majority of the team has split since their last Crash game, Crash Purple in 2004 (I feel old). If enough veterans exist from VV, then maybe their passion for Crash will still show next year.

Some veterans are still there believe it or not (the writer for CNK still thrives there), even though the CEOs left the company back in April (probably because of the layoffs with Activision regarding Superchargers).

From what we've seen so far, VV are way ahead of the game regarding their love of Crash. VV are also behind all the Crash stuff in Skylanders Imaginators, which looks exceptionally faithful to the original Crash Bandicoot games. Read this, they're pretty passionate about Crash:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/13/skylanders-imaginators-crashing-into-skylands/

SNURB

Probably not an actual date, but I think we'll get something more specific then. Like "Summer 2017" for example.

I'm definitely expecting something by PSX 2016 this December. Probably Summer 2017 or later like Fall 2017. Because if we're going by BruceLeeRoy, these have been in development since early 2015.

Then again, we COULD hear something on Crash's birthday which is September 9th.

DKHF

Eh... I'm not sure about that one. While I would love this to be a 2017 title (I'm guessing all three games will be in one package), they haven't shown any assets for the game yet. This strikes me as a deal that was just recently made and thus, won't be out until late 2017 or early 2018 at the earliest.
Well considering Activision were comfortable enough to confirm it's coming in 2017 at E3 and they're not known to delay games I think it will make 2017. It would be weird if a remaster was delayed too.

I'm not worried about the design or the presentation of the character very much. I'm most worried about how they will nail the movement and physics of the game. In the Skylanders footage it looks like he trots along with slow and deliberate steps, but the animation should be a lot looser and in terms of actual movement his movement speed should be slightly faster than his animations suggest.

Skylanders is a completely different beast. Crash had to fit in as best as possible to that style of gameplay, not the other way around. The remasters will not be that way.

SNURB

Skylanders is a completely different beast. Crash had to fit in as best as possible to that style of gameplay, not the other way around. The remasters will not be that way.

Exactly. The Skylanders are pretty slow so it makes sense that Crash followed route.

I do hope that they at least keep Crash's design for the remakes. I don't see what's not to like about it. It captures the charm of the classics and the concept art made by Zembillas.

Exactly. The Skylanders are pretty slow so it makes sense that Crash followed route.

I do hope that they at least keep Crash's design for the remakes. I don't see what's not to like about it. It captures the charm of the classics and the concept art made by Zembillas.

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

SNURB

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

I mean, it truly is the best of both worlds. Classic Crash Bandicoot with a modern spin to it. I really don't know why people are getting so turned off by it, unless they completely ignored the announcement of the remakes and are angry about Skylanders (which honestly is a fun game).

I mean, THIS is pretty damn close. Hell, I even be mistaken that Zembillas was involved in this:
23E02FF3-54F5-4CF5-A35E-067BD4BFD724_zpsthex5wop.png

I mean, it truly is the best of both worlds. Classic Crash Bandicoot with a modern spin to it. I really don't know why people are getting so turned off by it, unless they completely ignored the announcement of the remakes and are angry about Skylanders (which honestly is a fun game).

I mean, THIS is pretty damn close. Hell, I even be mistaken that Zembillas was involved in this:

i think its the realistic looking tufts of fur that i don't like. i dunno.

timshundo

Man, i dunno. This model looks better than any of the other "recent" ones, but it's still not right. Crash always had some innocence to him, like "I don't know how I ended up here but I guess I can make the best of it!" Now he just looks deranged, not very fun or friendly. It probably has a lot to do with rarely ever seeing his face in the original games because he's mostly always moving away from the screen with his back turned.

Does anyone else feel this way?

tumblr_n53hs1kaB91tb10d0o1_500.gif

Marcin Gulik

Neo Member
Man, i dunno. This model looks better than any of the other "recent" ones, but it's still not right. Crash always had some innocence to him, like "I don't know how I ended up here but I guess I can make the best of it!" Now he just looks deranged, not very fun or friendly. It probably has a lot to do with rarely ever seeing his face in the original games because he's mostly always moving away from the screen with his back turned.

I think he looks fine. Hopefully when they show off more footage of the Remastered versions, we can make a stronger opinion

bunkitz

Possibly relevant?

I don't want Crash to have a voice other than the usual grunts and "Woah!" So it would be weird (and probably unnecessarily expensive) if Troy Baker were to voice him...

It's so exciting that we're getting a new Crash Bandicoot game--remastered or otherwise--and not just because we've been waiting so long, but it's just such a great time to be a gamer right now. All the recent announcements and updates have gotten me so excited. We're getting an awesome new God of War and Spider-Man, Watch_Dogs 2 is looking great, Final Fantasy XV is releasing soon, and we're (soon-ish? I hope?) getting Kingdom Hearts III, Resident Evil is back to being scary once more, Detroit is looking fantastic, as is Injustice 2, and then Horizon Zero Dawn and Mass Effect: Andromeda early next year. It all just feels so good.

pixelation

I agree man, in the Skylanders version he acts more like the Taz Manian Devil than Crash Bandicoot. Let's hope that they don't use that model for the remasters...

I personally think the new Crash just looks a little weird. Even though it looks like it's old "concept" art, it doesn't look like the Crash from the actual games. Crash has an almost Tazmanian Tiger look to him in Skylanders.

Exentryk

Crash Team Racing Online needs to be happen, but only if:

- Gameplay/Handling/Physics/Mechanics are EXACTLY the same (even a simple thing like the ricochet bomb rolling speed, rolling direction curves depending on forward or backward throws, etc., needs to be EXACTLY the same).
- The Battle Mode in online should still show 4 players on the same screen, and not be changed to full screen for one player. Because peeking in to other players' screens is an important part of battle strategy and skill.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be able to keep the mechanics the same unless they got some really passionate developers that studied the original game mechanics inside out. So, even if we do get CTR online, it won't be the CTR we know and love.

If by some miracle they do get the mechanics exactly the same, then we could have a big online multiplayer game with potential for E-Sports (because CTR is more skill than luck).

SNURB

Possibly relevant?

I don't want Crash to have a voice other than the usual grunts and "Woah!" So it would be weird (and probably unnecessarily expensive) if Troy Baker were to voice him...

Lol, I dunno if Troy would be a good choice for Crash. Jess Harnell is doing the voice for Crash in the Skylanders edition so he'll probably be in the remakes too.

This was cool though!

Ravage

Crash Team Racing Online needs to be happen, but only if:

- Gameplay/Handling/Physics/Mechanics are EXACTLY the same (even a simple thing like the ricochet bomb rolling speed, rolling direction curves depending on forward or backward throws, etc., needs to be EXACTLY the same).
- The Battle Mode in online should still show 4 players on the same screen, and not be changed to full screen for one player. Because peeking in to other players' screens is an important part of battle strategy and skill.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be able to keep the mechanics the same unless they got some really passionate developers that studied the original game mechanics inside out. So, even if we do get CTR online, it won't be the CTR we know and love.

If by some miracle they do get the mechanics exactly the same, then we could have a big online multiplayer game with potential for E-Sports (because CTR is more skill than luck).

I can't imagine the forced split screen happening, but fully agree with everything else. Really hope a CTR remake happens.

farisr

certain angles and images he looks fine and i was actually pleasantly surprised by skylanders. If it weren't for the whole toys to life aspect I'd probably try it out.

But some of the angles and expressions and promo shots they showed make him look like a bad guy rather than his usual goofy lovable look.

DrD

I thought this was just a remaster at first but this looks like a complete remake to me. Excited for this, the original 3 are just pure fun.

Onaco

Preorders are up for the Crash Edition of Skylanders: Imaginators.

EDIT: PS3 Crash Edition up as well.

Skylanders Imaginators Featuring Crash Bandicoot. A wormhole opens in Skylands and the great Aku Aku appears! He comes to announce the once in two decades Synchronization Celebration! It is the time when all of the worlds align perfectly. They are having a huge celebration event in the Wumpa Islands and want to invite the Skylanders. But with Kaos on a quest to take over Skylands using his army of Doomlanders, the Skylanders must focus on stopping his evil plans. Never one to shy away from danger, the legendary marsupial Crash Bandicoot travels through the wormhole to join the Skylanders in the ultimate battle against Kaos!

Is this the description of the story of this game? Is Crash really tied to the plot?

Onaco

No, that is just explaining how he appeared in the Skylanders world just like what happened to Bowser and Donkey Kong.

However, DK and Bowser were tied to Nintendo platforms. Crash is able to go on all of them. You could be right, though.

Speaking of Nintendo, there is no 3DS version of Skylanders this year. Now low-res version of Crash, I guess...

SNURB

I thought this was just a remaster at first but this looks like a complete remake to me. Excited for this, the original 3 are just pure fun.

It'd be impossible to just port the PS1 games to PS4. Not only is the architecture completely different now, but all 3 games are coded in Andy Gavin's GOOL, which only he truly know how to work with. Plus a lot of other technical details that I won't go in to.

If Vicarious Visions are going to put that much effort into it, they might as well remake the whole thing and make it look like an actual PlayStation 4 game.

SNURB

Q: Even if [the PS4 Crash Bandicoot Collection is] a remaster and we're delighted about that, it does give us a little more hope that perhaps one day we'll see a new Crash Bandicoot?

"You know, we've got to keep you guys hoping for stuff that's coming in the future. Tease you a little bit as well."

Someone already made a thread of this but SCEE's Jim Ryan speaks about more Crash at 10:45...
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/436473/Sonys Jim Ryan on Neo reveal and PSVR launch/

SNURB

Long bump but a friend of mine managed to find this on someone's LinkedIn page:
3C666675-E308-4381-AEA3-528884C30421_zpsfg5okueg.jpg

I think this pretty much confirms that these are full remakes. I'm cautious about linking the guy's LinkedIn page but his name is Steve Moss.

BetaM

This image just popped up on GameStop:

718x305_skylanders_imaginators_crash.jpg

Looks like there will be a Cortex figure, which means he's playable, so we will possibly learn this year who the future Cortex VA will be soon.

Vicarious Visions employee referred to the games as "remakes" on the PS Blog. Interchangeable accidental buzzwords or deeper meaning? You decide!

6c9fd4db3d.png

Zedark

Vicarious Visions employee referred to the games as "remakes" on the PS Blog. Interchangeable accidental buzzwords or deeper meaning? You decide!

6c9fd4db3d.png

I mean, some people and companies tend to interchange the terms remaster and remake, especially when the designation is 'remastered from the ground up'. Ratchet & Clank, for example, was described as beyond a remake (a 'reimagining'), while it is 'just' a regular remake. I think they just don't care about differentiating between the two.

bunkitz

6c9fd4db3d.png

Remake hype! It's hard to imagine it just being a remastered version of the original anyway.

Either ways, I'll be very happy with the game.

Agree.

Tagg9

Sorry for the bump, but... potential release date? Seems highly unlikely, though, since that's just a few months away and we've seen nothing of the game yet. Then again, it's not exactly a new game, so there is that.

Seems unlikely considering there's another five hundred games coming out Q1 2017. Would be wise to release in late summer or fall.

SNURB

Seems unlikely considering there's another five hundred games coming out Q1 2017. Would be wise to release in late summer or fall.

Fall would be even worse because of Skylanders. Acti don't want Crash to jeopardize their biggest moneymaker since they both share the basic demographic and such.

If anything, I'm expect the remakes to be released roughly around April or May the slightest.

Of course! Crash was never good, you silly!

I don't know how we can make statement about something we still don't even know how it will be realized

well it could all be running on the skylanders engine( ?) lol and control and feel nothing like the original i think that could be the tipping point for old fans then again im not saying make it feel like somthing made 20 years ago regardless kids will probbly love it

and as a long time crash fan i hope its at least fun to play :)

Top Bottom