• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Team Rumble dead on arrival as Twitch numbers hit less than 30 viewers

Crash Team Rumble, Activision’s co-op based installment featuring characters from the Crash Bandicoot universe, has been pronounced dead on arrival after its Twitch numbers recently dipped to an all-time low figure of less than 30 viewers.

Even though the game received less-than-stellar reviews upon launch, the community’s lack of interest towards it is still somewhat shocking as its gameplay and diverse cast of characters presented an entertaining spectacle that should have been perfect for streaming platforms. But alas, it seems that Crash Team Rumble’s release alongside other action-packed hits like Street Fighter 6, BattleBit Remastered, and F1 23 may have ended up hindering its potential.

The differences in viewer figures for the aforementioned games are especially striking since SF6, BattleBit Remastered, and F1 23 are all averaging around 19k, 14k, and 3.5k spectators respectively. Crash Team Rumble, on the other hand, is only getting between 30-40 viewers, which is just slightly higher than that of Pikmin 1’s.

It’s unavailability on PC may also have hurt its prospects as multiplayer co-op titles often tend to do well when made compatible with Windows systems. Unfortunately, since it’s only playable on both previous and current generation PlayStation and Xbox platforms, the player base becomes limited to these consoles that are already dominated by FPS games like CoD, Apex Legends, and Fortnite.

With Crash Team Rumble still in its early days, though, its abysmal Twitch performance could still be salvaged as long as the developers make it available on more systems and add in some key quality-of-life improvements in the future. But time is ticking for Activision and Toys for Bob as a slew of highly anticipated launch windows, like the Starfield release date, are just waiting around the corner to snatch the spotlight once again.

Source: https://www.videogamer.com/news/crash-team-rumble-twitch-less-than-30-viewers/

Thief1987

Looks like "nobody" asked for this.

Who came up for the idea to make this instead of releasing a normal single player jump and run?!🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Last game didn't sell well, iirc last time we got any data it didn't even reach 1 million in sales. I have no idea if they really thought that Crash MOBA will sell better though

Calverz

Why they didn’t release this and more importantly, CTR on pc il never know. GAAS titles got to release on pc if they want a chance at survival now.

Fake

As should. The guy who thought changing the artstyle from the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy to this atrocity 'About Time' was a good ideia should be fired.

The remake still selling really well depise being a old game, so I don't understand why changing the design of the Crash characters. What a stupid decision.

Anw, hope was worth.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

The only sad thing about this is that ActiBlizz might come out and say “well, people obviously aren’t interested in more Crash games so let’s make something else”, despite this being nothing like a Crash game.

To say the game is dead on arrival is a bit premature, but it doesn't seem like a game that is going to sell well either.
I do think Twitch numbers make for a relevant market gauge. The industry knows this, otherwise they would not spend the amounts of marketing going on on Twitch. Popular games peak in viewer count on release, and they don't have to be the latest (A)RPG or competitive shooter. Even a console exclusive competitive game like Splatoon 3, with a whimsy aesthetic and catering to a similar young audience peaked at 42K on launch and currently sits on approx. 800 viewers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t think the Crash IP has any juice. The remakes sold to old farts like me but 4 bombed, the mobile game went nowhere, this is a bomb. Seemed like it was just a remake thing and there is little interest in new Crash.

Fake

CTR 60 fps is another weird omission for current gen consoles as well.

Yeah. Is a decent racing game that could be better with 60 fps, but the lack of patch and that stupid coin sittuation leave this game to the flies.

Calverz

CTR 60 fps is another weird omission for current gen consoles as well.
Absolutely. It’s pissing me off as it’s a great game. So well made but now forgotten about while everyone just goes and plays Mario kart 8 deluxe. It obviously stopped brining in the money so has just been abandoned.

Not even hardcore Crash fans were interested in this, it's one of the biggest "Who asked for this?" since the reveal and I feel sorry for the team forced to work on this.
I highly doubt that the game was ressource intensive.

Character models are copy and paste work.
Still a shame for a Developer tonwork on something "nobody" wants to play.

Unknown?

We all knew Crash would only do well as a remake. 4 didn't light the charts up either. Only way to make Crash good again and relevant is to strip them from Activision like Spider-Man was.

Top Bottom