• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRAWL is 20% Off Today (Early Access MP Roguelike)

Unicorn

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/crawl_storefront DRM Free Humble Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0N12w3csI

CRAWL has been in Early Access for 1 year and to commemorate the devs (2 dudes) have put it on 20% off. It still doesn't have online multiplayer, but it really shines with local multiplayer anyway.

Here's a thread I made about my experience with it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038268

The newest update also fancied up menus. They are currently working on adding a new boss battle (currently only 2)

I have 17 hours played and definitely recommend this, even if you can only get a group of friends to play it for one evening. Great local play game.

Latest update notes:

Features:
New "Greater Spikewurm" monster for a more deadly twist on the burrowing worms
New "Horned Beast" monster adds another top-tier option to the Minotaur/Satyr evolution chain
New monster upgrade menu
New music for the mines
Hero Info GUI- Your Stats and equipment are now displayed when you're in the store. No more trying to remember what you have!
Weapon trade in - Your current weapon gives you a discount on a new one, so you can upgrade your weapons more.
Added option to disable easter eggs if you like to maintain the serious tone.
Boss kills tally- For every boss you've killed you get a skull on name select menu, and a different title on win screen.
Tweaks/Balance:
Hero stats overhaul - Vitality, Strength and Agility all handled properly now, affected by potions
If ghosts take too long to spawn, they'll now be sucked in and spawned forcibly by pentagrams
Devil juice is now an artefact instead of a potion. Doubled in effectiveness since it's rarer
Monsters now spawn with their special attack ready
Added a delay after encounter ends before hero can interact with props. Shouldn't be as easy to accidentally activate them now
Vitae renamed to Wrath to go with new menus
Wrath shown on in-game hud, and on ghosts when the hero levels up
Hero blood intermediary currency removed. You now get rewarded with gold instantly when you damage the hero
Statues that took "hero blood" before, now take some health from the hero instead
The store teleporter fountain now takes 5 gold instead of hero blood
Can now buy multiple haunted axes
Can now only buy one bleeder shield. (There was no advantage to having more than one)
Some coffins and cabinets now randomly spawn items when opened
Cracked bow does a bit less damage
Lowered bots aiming accuracy
Spider attack hitbox tweaked to line up better
Multiplier increased for one-room temporary strength modifiers (for hero and ghosts) from actionable props
Tweaked back walls in dungeon environment to have more random variety
Wishing well rewards improved
Hooded Haunt monster attack improved: Less anticipate time and more free movement while strafing
Prices reduced for some spears
Bugs:
Fixes for a number of controller issues - Now supporting more types of controllers.
Fixed ghosts not fading out over the hero
Powerups effects are no longer lost after long games
Store gui no longer displays over pause menu
Scorpion unlock now working properly
Mouse cursor no longer sorts behind pause menu tips
Intro scenes now fade in and out again
Hero no longer pauses at start of attract mode
Fixed Frog Necklace turning you into a frog way too often

5hSXF2l.gif

Unicorn

I'm blind :<

And boo still :(

Based on how long a single game can take, I don't think it is well-suited for playing with randoms online. Even with friends and some online chat, I think some of the magic is lost of the competitiveness that exists when the guy who killed you is sitting next to you. It's a very Arcade brawler experience.

That said, I totally understand the outcry for it to be added, and it's in the pipes to happen, but I don't think it WILL happen for quite some time.

PensOwl

Banned
Oh shit it's been a while since the last update. I think I'm going to play a game right now.

If you're at all interested in some local multiplayer you should buy this, it's incredibly fun.

I played this when it first came out, and as the boss of the game it was impossible to beat 3 other players (even at the lowest level possible) who knew how to play the game.

Teknoman

The trailer and narration is one of the best things ever.

Really wish this had a random online component though.

Unicorn

is it still only one level?

What do you mean? You have to fight through the rooms to find the staircase to the next level. There are more "biomes" or types of environments too. Currently there are dungeon, castle/cathedral, and mines, I think; maybe another I'm forgetting.

I played this when it first came out, and as the boss of the game it was impossible to beat 3 other players (even at the lowest level possible) who knew how to play the game.
What was the boss? The Hydra can be really difficult as the real challenge is when the heads are on their own. The swamp boss has become relatively easy with more playthroughs. Getting caught in the bubble still sucks a lot though. At level 10 you can challenge the bosses, but I'd recommend getting good gear first, so not even attempting until level 11+.

Local-multiplayer-only has and will unfortunately keep me away from both this and Towerfall.

Is it because you can't get friends together to play, or some other reason pertaining to the "couch-coop"?

They are planning to add online MP, eventually.

Is it because you can't get friends together to play, or some other reason pertaining to the "couch-coop"?

They are planning to add online MP, eventually.
Yeah, can't say I do much couch co-op with friends anymore, just a whole lot of online play.

Nice to hear they're considering online multiplayer though. I assumed they were being stubborn like the Towerfall devs.

Online play's working fine for Duck Game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there no single player mode for the game then? I didn't realise. A shame as I was looking forward to playing this and I don't think I'd be able to get other people involved if it's local-only.

Nillansan

I picked it up last night, I am having some friends over next weekend. A perfect opportunity to give this a spin in between bouts of Rocket League, Duck Game and Towerfall.

Unicorn

Is there no single player mode for the game then? I didn't realise. A shame as I was looking forward to playing this and I don't think I'd be able to get other people involved if it's local-only.
There are bots of varying difficulty and you can choose to have 1-3 to play with. More than half my time with the game was spent alone with bots. Bits are also really competent.
awesome game, get it while its hot

also the first trailer they released is so epic

Yup, it's already in the OP :p

What was the boss? The Hydra can be really difficult as the real challenge is when the heads are on their own. The swamp boss has become relatively easy with more playthroughs. Getting caught in the bubble still sucks a lot though. At level 10 you can challenge the bosses, but I'd recommend getting good gear first, so not even attempting until level 11+.

It was the swamp boss, it was impossible for him to win. We all tried the roll of the boss a bunch of times and every time the result was the same. Got bodied. I played this game the day it went early access though, it possible it's been balanced out since. (I am hoping at least)

Unicorn

It was the swamp boss, it was impossible for him to win. We all tried the roll of the boss a bunch of times and every time the result was the same. Got bodied. I played this game the day it went early access though, it possible it's been balanced out since. (I am hoping at least)
Hard for me to say since I've gotten better at playing as the updates roll out.

Not to sound rude, but do you know the trick for dealing damage to him? Smack an explosive Blob into his open mouth to knock him out for more damage?

Hard for me to say since I've gotten better at playing as the updates roll out.

Not to sound rude, but do you know the trick for dealing damage to him? Smack an explosive Blob into his open mouth to knock him out for more damage?

Ah, you're thinking I'm saying the reverse.

I'm saying the player that had the roll of the swap boss couldn't win, and that the options that they gave the player who was the boss versus 3 other mildly skilled players wasn't anywhere near enough to deal with them all at once.

Engell

Ah, you're thinking I'm saying the reverse.

I'm saying the player that had the roll of the swap boss couldn't win, and that the options that they gave the player who was the boss versus 3 other mildly skilled players wasn't anywhere near enough to deal with them all at once.

what... but that is the other way around, in the game(today) it is the 3 players that are the boss against one player trying to defeat it.

Top Bottom