• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRAWL |OT|

Unicorn

DEVELOPER: Powerhoof
PLATFORMS: Xbox One, PS4, PC/Mac/Linux (STEAM / Humble[DRM Free])
RELEASE DATES: April 11th Worldwide
PRICE: $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/crawl_storefront DRM Free Humble Version

TRAILERS
ABOUT:
Crawl is the local multiplayer dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters! Battle through randomly generated dungeons full of traps and monsters- all controlled by the other players. If a friend kills you they take your place and it's their turn to crawl! It's a race to gain enough XP and loot to face your friends as they control the flailing limbs of the hulking final boss!
DESCRIPTION:
An asymmetrical couch multiplayer game that juggles elements of a roguelike, Diablo, DnD Arcade games, Binding of Isaac, and classic frantic brawlers - with a macabre Lovecraftian-esque atmosphere. Control a plethora of grotesque and varied monsters to battle to regain your humanity and level up to challenge a cosmic horror and escape the dungeon victorious (and alive) - or die and lose your soul (and your 3-character name from the list). This 2-man project has seen many updates in Early Access and has an Overwhelmingly Positive review rating on STEAM.
FEATURES:
  • A New Spin on Dungeon Crawling- Every trap and monster controlled by your real life buddies!
  • Supports up to 4 in local-multiplayer. NO ONLINE at this time
  • Vicious single player AI, challenges to master, and items to unlock.
  • Turbo Charge Role Playing- Level up and amass a massive variety of weapons, spells and items in each 30 minute game.
  • Evolve over 60 unique monsters from mere vermin into powerful demons and undead warriors.
jfC0jDc.gif
Jpgddc9.png
tNwldgg.gif
f27zkwieszolzuqlxokt.gif
bwFTOAI.gif
beholderEye.gif

Early Access Updates and Impressions threads:

Had little hope that this would come to PS4-- admittedly I hadn't followed much press past its initial reveal-- but for it to be coming out tomorrow is a wonderful surprise. Love the animation and the premise. Certainly willing to fire it up.

Tagyhag

Played too much of this, can't wait to see others enjoy it. Also, always nice for a game to have bot support even in early access.

Hope online comes someday!

1upsuper

I've been eyeing this game since it first released in early access, but I never found myself in a situation where I had multiple friends willing to huddle around my laptop. How is the single player AI? I don't think it had an SP mode when it first released.

Unicorn

I've been eyeing this game since it first released in early access, but I never found myself in a situation where I had multiple friends willing to huddle around my laptop. How is the single player AI? I don't think it had an SP mode when it first released.
AI is good. Solo play is fine for unlocking new things, but definitely get some friends together. Even mix of a friend and an AI or two is beneficial.

I love the look of this game, but have less than zero interest or chance to play this with people. Is this worth playing single player. The focus reads entirely on multiplayer?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Is this finally out of EA?

I played it a bunch but I always found it on the content lite side of things. Not enough bosses, and just too repetitive.

deleted

I liked it when me and a few friends played through the EA version about a year ago.

I had some issues with the text being somewhat unreadable sometimes and it became a bit confusing sometimes with all the stuff going on at the same time, but at it's core, it's a fantastic game with a refreshing take on multiplayer.

If you can play this with 4 people, I can't recommend it enough.

Excellent game. My only issue is that the two boss monsters aren't nearly enough. 3 would be absolute minimum and 5 would be expected for the finished game.

Always excited to see when this game has an update.

Spman2099

CRAWL ON PS4!!! OH SHIT!!!

I have this on my PC, it is super good. Man, what awesome news.

I love the look of this game, but have less than zero interest or chance to play this with people. Is this worth playing single player. The focus reads entirely on multiplayer?

Absolutely not. Sorry, man; this was intended to be a multiplayer experience. There is very little fun to be had playing with bots. Unless, that is, they have added a new single player mode since I last played it.

Necro900

Excellent game. My only issue is that the two boss monsters aren't nearly enough. 3 would be absolute minimum and 5 would be expected for the finished game.

There's 3 in this day one release and hopefully more will be added in the future!

It's a great game, and I kinda wish it had online multiplayer since my videogame pals are almost all living in different cities nowadays.

Unicorn

There are 3 bosses now.

CRAWL ON PS4!!! OH SHIT!!!

I have this on my PC, it is super good. Man, what awesome news.

Absolutely not. Sorry, man; this was intended to be a multiplayer experience. There is very little fun to be had playing with bots. Unless, that is, they have added a new single player mode since I last played it.
There's challenge modes where you do horde survival as various monsters.

I'm going to update OP later to outline the new features on release

If you've got 3 friends, buy this game. Been playing throughout early access, and it's a fantastic example of asymmetrical multiplayer done right

Unicorn

Crawl 1.0 is here and 20% off all week!

The ancient golden colossus Tezekcal has awoken, brought to life by an evil shaman’s still beating heart. Take possession of his limbs with your ghostly companions to crush intruding heroes into dust.

https://youtu.be/IAqjWpK6IO8

New features include:
New Boss: Tezekcal
New playable monsters:
Demonic scorpion queen with devastating projectile attacks.
A flying beast with a disembodied eye that can attack from the opposite side of the room.
A poison spitting snake.
A Powerful high priestess that teleports and summons seeking runes.
Hymns enable heroes to steal from other players. Take their gold, weapons, even swap all their equipment.
Achievements/Quests.
Steam trading cards.
Loads of tweaks, balancing, bug fixes, and more!

Was under the impression this already came out and since I didn't really hear too much about it, I figured it wasn't as good as it seemed to be.

Really glad I was seemingly wrong? Game looks soooooo good

Bread

Banned
This game is fantastic but the local multiplayer only is such a huge detriment and it sounds like online is never being added which is such a mistake.

Was under the impression this already came out and since I didn't really hear too much about it, I figured it wasn't as good as it seemed to be.

Really glad I was seemingly wrong? Game looks soooooo good

Oh it's good. I've been patiently waiting for boss 3. 1.0 looks dope.

**FYI to those looking into crawl - you play through it rather quickly. It's not really gauntlet or a dungeon crawler that you're used to. Instead you try to kill the hero, become the hero and kill a boss. If the boss dies or a hero dies to a boss 3 times, the game ends. Rinse repeat.

The fun comes in learning the ins and outs of the monsters. Coordinating monster attacks with friends is the best.

Third boss added? Hot dog!

This is one of the best multiplayer games ... ever, btw. Seriously. If we had these indie multiplayer party games on our N64s back in the day... oh man. Still dreaming of a retro style console that simply boots the games, no patches nor downloads (could update games via pc tool) that would last decades. Just loathe how the new consoles feel like subscription based services and break every year or two.

Oh, didn't realize this was out of early access!

This is by far my favorite couch MP game in the past several years. It's always a ton of fun when our house plays it. I'll see if I can't round everyone up to play it tonight.

I was sort of hoping for at least 5 bosses before release, but I realize that they're the most time-consuming content to create.

EDIT: Oh wow, that launch announcement trailer is hilarious.

Grakl

Bought this early on in Early Access and already loved it, recommend to anyone for multiplayer tbh. Hella fun

Unicorn

Are game nights with friends that rare? A lot of people always mention lack of local play with these "couch indies".

Maybe I'm just privileged coming from a group of friends that enjoy fighting games and Monster Hunter. Weekends, or whenever we can meet up, we play either the staple of Smash Bros or street fighter, but pepper in new games and CRAWL was a surprise hit for us.

I moved out of state so I'm in the boat of no friends but I feel that's out of the norm. Most people have real life friends to play games with, right? I've actually been in a funk because of don't have a nerdy outlet outside of GAF in this new town. Coworkers have zero interest in games. Not having a friend or two to discuss games or ideas about games with has been making me feel really frustrated and isolated.

Hasney

It gets rarer as you get older. I've been hovering over this for a while, but I'd have no one to play it with unless it came to Switch and could take it elsewhere. All my friends would prefer the pub, including those who like games because they're married now so would rather use their rare free time out doing something as they can play games at home.

valeo

Are game nights with friends that rare? A lot of people always mention lack of local play with these "couch indies".

Maybe I'm just privileged coming from a group of friends that enjoy fighting games and Monster Hunter. Weekends, or whenever we can meet up, we play either the staple of Smash Bros or street fighter, but pepper in new games and CRAWL was a surprise hit for us.

I moved out of state so I'm in the boat of no friends but I feel that's out of the norm. Most people have real life friends to play games with, right? I've actually been in a funk because of don't have a nerdy outlet outside of GAF in this new town. Coworkers have zero interest in games. Not having a friend or two to discuss games or ideas about games with has been making me feel really frustrated and isolated.

Very, very rare. I haven't had a 'game night' for years. Considering you can play most games online now, it's kinda less fun.

jettpack

Incredible game. So fun and original. Looks and sounds great. Also that launch trailer is so full of charm. Perfect game for consoles too. Would love to have it on the switch

jettpack

Very, very rare. I haven't had a 'game night' for years. Considering you can play most games online now, it's kinda less fun.
Oh man, I used to do it all the time. Less so now tho 😢. To many of my friends in SF are movin to LA

Unicorn

I might wait for that version than, love what i've seen so far :)

Would be such a perfect fit. Simple 2 button and analog is all you need.

In fact, less. You can use JUST a mouse for one player on PC. Granted, it's a learning curve, but totally doable. Lots of controller options on PC.

Game looks like a lot of fun, but I am a little hesitant to get it since I would be only playing it single-player.

Totally doable though. Played it with two other people this weekend and an AI 4th player and pretty soon it turned into "ohhh ho ho! FUCK YOU ROBOT!" when the AI would get the last stab in an regain its humanity. Local co-op is definitely where Crawl shines, but having played it yesterday with 3 other bots I can say that's definitely a serviceable and viable way to play.

Zavist

I love Crawl. Reminds me a lot of the old Moonstone game. Lots of fun and unique asymmetrical multiplayer experience. Bots are relatively smart and do provide fun experience even for solo play.

Unicorn

"We have a meeting coming up soon where we'll chat with Nintendo and find out much more. As it stands we're keen and Nintendo seem keen, but we're also pretty exhausted after crunching to get the game out for launch and consoles haha, so we'll be taking it a little slowly for the next few months to give ourselves some time to recover!

We'll keep you posted once we've figured out the specifics and have some idea on a timeframe etc :)"

Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom