• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

PMS341

Sounds like it's time for legal action.

It was over a year ago, and I'm just tired. Gamestop covers their asses by forcing you to sign a sheet of paper stating you did all these things wrong, even if you didn't, and you aren't allowed to "leave the room" without signing. It was very intimidating and vile, like something out of a mobster flick. This happened multiple times to me and my coworkers, who were constantly harassed by the SM/DM. That way, when lawsuits or legal action roll around, the court sees evidence that the employee DID do those horrible things, "And see? They even signed it too!" This is after my boss yelled in my face constantly, told me I was "poison", talked about killing other employees, etc.

I developed depression from the whole thing (had a lot of personal life issues going on as well) and I still work retail, just not Gamestop. Haven't been in since.

F4r0_Atak

The employee added a $2 charge for a warranty on a fucking used Wii game at checkout without asking or saying anything about it. I go to pay and there's a $2 charge for a warranty added on.

Anyone else experience this? I thought it was pretty offensive, just throwing a charge on top of my total without asking me. It's been awhile since I've shopped there, is this how they do business now?

Just so you know, I had worked for EB Games (Canada) for more than 7 years and I had my share of customers. Problems is half of them never listen to the services (warranties, pre-orders, trade-ins) we offer at EB (which I am not for nor against).

Furthermore, I am not saying that you might have missed the mention of the warranty and it's highly possible that he never mentioned it too, but for a couple years now... EB, and most likely GS too, highly encouraged their employees to push for the warranties, pre-orders, used sales and trade-ins if they wanted to have a decent quantity of work hours, especially when they are part-timers. Only the full-time employees (manager and assist manager) are not affected by those performance reviews since they usually have a minimum set of work hours.

thatJohann

The employee added a $2 charge for a warranty on a fucking used Wii game at checkout without asking or saying anything about it. I go to pay and there's a $2 charge for a warranty added on.

Anyone else experience this? I thought it was pretty offensive, just throwing a charge on top of my total without asking me. It's been awhile since I've shopped there, is this how they do business now?

I had this happen to me recently. I try to avoid Gamestop whenever possible, as the one nearest me is full of the most loud, obnoxious employees ever. So I went to buy something the other day and I noticed on the payment LCD screen that $2 charge for warranty.

When I asked the guy what the hell was up with that unasked warranty he added to the transaction, he just said 'oh the system adds it automatically upon scanning a barcode, I can remove it, gimme a sec'. I knew he's full of shit, so next time I went I was very careful, and another employee did it too and I got really angry and told them that's messed up and then he also said that it's automatic and apologized.

That's a lot of bullshitting. I was going to call Gamestop corporate to complain but I forgot to.

frontovik

Banned
An EB games employee (Canadian equivalent of GS) told me that my preordered copy of Civilization 6 CE was not available in store, despite the fact that I received a call from his colleague who confirmed it arrived.

He kept giving out excuses that there must have been a miscommunication, and had to double-check the receiving room twice before he finally found it.

I had this happen to me recently. I try to avoid Gamestop whenever possible, as the one nearest me is full of the most loud, obnoxious employees ever. So I went to buy something the other day and I noticed on the payment LCD screen that $2 charge for warranty.

When I asked the guy what the hell was up with that unasked warranty he added to the transaction, he just said 'oh the system adds it automatically upon scanning a barcode, I can remove it, gimme a sec'. I knew he's full of shit, so next time I went I was very careful, and another employee did it too and I got really angry and told them that's messed up and then he also said that it's automatic and apologized.

That's a lot of bullshitting. I was going to call Gamestop corporate to complain but I forgot to.

Ah, it seems likely that this is GameStop policy. They automatically add the warranty when the game is scanned, then the employee works it in however they feel comfortable doing so. In our cases, they didn't mention it. I bet this is the most effective strategy for them to make warranty numbers.

Just so you know, I had worked for EB Games (Canada) for more than 7 years and I had my share of customers. Problems is half of them never listen to the services (warranties, pre-orders, trade-ins) we offer at EB (which I am not for nor against).

Furthermore, I am not saying that you might have missed the mention of the warranty and it's highly possible that he never mentioned it too, but for a couple years now... EB, and most likely GS too, highly encouraged their employees to push for the warranties, pre-orders, used sales and trade-ins if they wanted to have a decent quantity of work hours, especially when they are part-timers. Only the full-time employees (manager and assist manager) are not affected by those performance reviews since they usually have a minimum set of work hours.

Of course, making numbers is a part of survival at retail chains. It's nothing new, but how GameStop goes about assisting their employees in making those numbers seems to have changed.

DMONKUMA

The guy at the counter told me to fuck off because I told him I wasn't interested in amiibos or cared for them. I asked to for someone else to ring me up and just left....last thing he told me was I was a Nintendo hater.

While he's not on point that I hate Nintendo, I just don't care for the company that much only some of its products.

It's not a specific employee thing but more that Gamestop head office in Ireland seems to have very bad communications and bad communications between shops. There's supposed to be a deal on to trade in a PS4 500gb for a PS4 pro. Some shops let you do it right away, some shops say it doesn't start till the pro is out, and some have never heard of it or say the deal is at the manager discretion. It's real annoying.

PMS341

The warranty thing, iirc, is happening more often at GS because when you scan in a game, a list of possible "attachments" would load up - season passes, warranties, online time, etc. A lot of times employees just click through it, and yes, I'm sure many just hope the buyer says nothing. My DM used to tell us to remove it afterwards only if they say no.

Persona7

Banned
The warranty thing, iirc, is happening more often at GS because when you scan in a game, a list of possible "attachments" would load up - season passes, warranties, online time, etc. A lot of times employees just click through it, and yes, I'm sure many just hope the buyer says nothing. My DM used to tell us to remove it afterwards only if they say no.

An employee at a nearby gamestop told me that the DM is pushing employees to add the charge automatically and only remove it if they notice it. Pretty terrible. Who knows if the DM is just trying to boost numbers or if people higher up are asking them to do that.

SOME-MIST

nothing out of the ordinary but last month during lunch I stopped in GS to pickup assault suit leynos since it said it was in stock (I usually choose to go to best buy or target if I'm not at work).

when I arrived, the employee asked if I needed any help, and I said I was there for assault suit leynos on ps4 and she shrugged. I said it was a spiritual successor to cybernator and she still had no idea what I was talking about. With us both thumbing around I ended up finding it behind a copy of assassin's creed.

I checked out and everything went well. on my walk back I decided to double check my purchase. of course I didn't even realize I was sold a used copy at the new price. I went back and asked to return it. she asked me "why" and I said I wanted a new factory sealed version of it... I don't like buying copies that have already been opened, is there a sealed copy I can switch it with? She says, "no, that's the last copy. that piece of plastic really means a lot to you huh?", and I said "actually yeah, when I'm buying something new at full price I don't want an unsealed used copy, thanks for understanding."

once the refund was done I bought it from amazon (at a reduced price because I didn't realize I had amazon points!) but had to wait for it to ship after the weekend.

same gamestop earlier this year I went to buy ratchet and clank and the employee was taking the disc out of the drawer and I said, wait.. do you have a sealed copy? and he said, "sorry last one!" and I said "never mind, I don't want it" and he said "just kidding just kidding" and pulled out a sealed one. I think that situation peeved me more.

Jacknapes

Pre-ordered a copy of Tearaway Unfolded ages ago in GAME, had the message it was in stock and could pick it up. Went in, the staff member went to the drawer and took a disk out and put it into the box. I asked for a sealed copy, seeing as i had pre-ordered it. They said they had none sealed. Pointed to the shelf above the till, 5 sealed Tearaway Unfolded boxes. He said they were display only, so i demanded to see the manager. Got a sealed copy from the shelf, and got an apology.

Doesn't top the instance of pre-ordering a copy of Black Flag, and couldn't pick it up on launch as they ran out of PS4 copies (i had ordered the treasure chest one, the one with the figure) and only had Xbox One copies. Needless to say, i wasn't happy and had to come back a week later to get it along with my PS4 (had £50 off for the inconvenience though, which i used on that years PS+ sub)

daegan

I still find it amazing how many stores, according to this thread, seem to want to sell gutted copies of new titles before their sealed ones given how much easier it is for them to actually sell a sealed one if they have them at all

I still find it amazing how many stores, according to this thread, seem to want to sell gutted copies of new titles before their sealed ones given how much easier it is for them to actually sell a sealed one if they have them at all

This bothers me so much with that company. I dislike it when they nearly mock you "Oh, it's just shrink wrap". I don't put fingers on my discs or scratch the cases, or put stickers on them like they do their gutted new copies.

SpartanN92

Banned

This is odd... I worked for GS from 2009-2014.

You only sell the gutted copy of it's the absolute last copy available. Otherwise you'd have to re-gut another copy to add to the display.
It just adds extra work to the process and irritates the customer.

AniHawk

'well you basically just got a pay increase' -my district manager, when i asked when i could expect my pay to scale with the increase of the california minimum wage. i had been making $7.75 an hour, and now i was making $8.00 an hour, which was the new minimum wage.

KyleCross

Just the other day the clerk told me I couldn't return a used game I was buying, only trade it in. No return policy as far as she was concerned.

When I asked yesterday when the Switch pre-orders were going to start I was told "I'm not sure but check back on around November 11th"

Uhm...ok

Cornbread78

It was over a year ago, and I'm just tired. Gamestop covers their asses by forcing you to sign a sheet of paper stating you did all these things wrong, even if you didn't, and you aren't allowed to "leave the room" without signing. It was very intimidating and vile, like something out of a mobster flick. This happened multiple times to me and my coworkers, who were constantly harassed by the SM/DM. That way, when lawsuits or legal action roll around, the court sees evidence that the employee DID do those horrible things, "And see? They even signed it too!" This is after my boss yelled in my face constantly, told me I was "poison", talked about killing other employees, etc.

I developed depression from the whole thing (had a lot of personal life issues going on as well) and I still work retail, just not Gamestop. Haven't been in since.

Man, if I was an ambulance chasing lawyer, or a corporate employment lawyer, I could haveva field day bringing this type of shit to court.

daegan

This bothers me so much with that company. I dislike it when they nearly mock you "Oh, it's just shrink wrap". I don't put fingers on my discs or scratch the cases, or put stickers on them like they do their gutted new copies.

You only sell the gutted copy of it's the absolute last copy available. Otherwise you'd have to re-gut another copy to add to the display.

Exactly. It's so much extra work that I almost can't believe it happens that much. Like, I get wanting a sealed one - when I worked there I wouldn't even buy ones I myself gutted because I feel the same way when I'm buying a game new, but there is so much extra work involved that if there is an actual sealed one I just don't get why a store wouldn't do it (but I also know stores sometimes gut more than one so what looks like it's sealed from the other side of the counter might not be, etc)

Catvoca

Banned
It's not a specific employee thing but more that Gamestop head office in Ireland seems to have very bad communications and bad communications between shops. There's supposed to be a deal on to trade in a PS4 500gb for a PS4 pro. Some shops let you do it right away, some shops say it doesn't start till the pro is out, and some have never heard of it or say the deal is at the manager discretion. It's real annoying.

So what's the deal like? How much are they charging for the pro if you trade in a 500gb PS4? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Um...say "fuck off" and walk out the room anyways? What are they gonna do? Beat you up? If they did, you just hit the jackpot man.

If I ever shopped at GameStop, I would insert a clever story here...

With that said, I have heard nothing but horror stories about employees hassling people into buying things that they did not come in for, having little to no knowledge of the products they are selling, opening games and then selling them as new, overcharging for used games yet giving practically nothing to obtain them from their customers, etc.

Sounds like a great time...

Astrates

It makes no sense, when I worked in GAME we would gut one copy to use on display along with display boxes, this would be used as a stock keeping copy. It would always be sold last and it helped us know if we needed to order in more of a product.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

What would have happened had you refused to sign?

HR with Gamestop is a nightmare as well, they don't exist to help out the employee in the least bit. I got in trouble/eventually fired for reporting my boss for harrassment, after the DM tried to cover it up.

I feel sorry for the poor souls trying out to be holiday hires this year.

Get a lawyer ASAP

I got a job at gamestop last week hope I don't add to this list at some point, thankfully the only bad experience I've had there are from other customers never any of the actual employees

Ah, it seems likely that this is GameStop policy. They automatically add the warranty when the game is scanned, then the employee works it in however they feel comfortable doing so. In our cases, they didn't mention it. I bet this is the most effective strategy for them to make warranty numbers.

The warranties are kept in a separate menu from the rest of the stuff like season passes. And it doesn't add them automatically you're supposed to ask first, at least that's how my manager and DM tell us to do it.

Also yeah this should just be standard procedure. It's less work all around to just grab the sealed copy.

KiraXD

'well you basically just got a pay increase' -my district manager, when i asked when i could expect my pay to scale with the increase of the california minimum wage. i had been making $7.75 an hour, and now i was making $8.00 an hour, which was the new minimum wage.

fuck... man i feel that. worked at a bank where new tellers were coming on at the same pay as me, a lead supervisor... that shit stings dude.

Came here just to say that I find the idea of this thread pretty gross. I know that we're all gaming enthusiasts here and know quite a bit about our hobby, but let's not talk down on people who don't.

I'll admit that I feel a bit dead inside when I hear an employee at any store give bad information. I also feel terrible when I hear the same employees attempt to sell someone warranties and pre-orders.That being said, Gamestop doesn't require a degree in gaming to work there, and I'm sure they don't pay enough to encourage their employees to become subject-matter experts.

We all have bad customer service experiences from time to time, but let's not put all the blame on people who are just trying to make a living.

Could you corroborate the posts here about adding on warranties or other products/services without the customer asking or knowing? Are you told to add them automatically to boost your numbers?

At my gamestop we just offer to add the warranty if they want it they want it, if they don't they don't. This store seems more focused on getting people to sign up for the membership cards than the warranties or whatever. My boss was very insistent about that since it makes them the most money.

It's not really crazy, just funny given the history I suppose, but I went in to Gamestop for the first time since they cancelled my preorder for the FE: Fates special edition without telling me because GameStop oversold their preorders. I was there getting a copy of Battlefield 1 because Amazon was going to be delivering it almost a week after release, so I was making small talk with the girl working there (the same who was there for the few weeks I went in there raising hell until they eventually managed to get me a copy of FE Fates special edition) and told her about the thing with Amazon and she said "Oh yea Amazon is terrible about overselling there preorders like that, that's why GameStop is good, we never do anything like that."

I don't expect her to remember me or anything, but it was just really amusing to me that someone at that, of all Gamestops would say that to me.

Garlador

A car plowed through the front of my local store on Friday, so the craziest thing any employee has said to me now is "LOOK OUT!".

I've only ever gotten an unsealed copy of a game once. When I noticed it they returned it with no issues, but they didn't have anymore. It's a stupid practice in general though. I don't understand why publishers don't ship out an empty retail box with every order so stores don't have to open product.

Came here just to say that I find the idea of this thread pretty gross. I know that we're all gaming enthusiasts here and know quite a bit about our hobby, but let's not talk down on people who don't.

I'll admit that I feel a bit dead inside when I hear an employee at any store give bad information. I also feel terrible when I hear the same employees attempt to sell someone warranties and pre-orders.That being said, Gamestop doesn't require a degree in gaming to work there, and I'm sure they don't pay enough to encourage their employees to become subject-matter experts.

We all have bad customer service experiences from time to time, but let's not put all the blame on people who are just trying to make a living.

There is a difference between talking down on employees just trying to pay bills and strike up conversations VERSUS calling out an employee for lying to make a sell.

Not saying all of the situations fall into these two categories but I definitely experienced the latter.

Top Bottom