• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

I've only ever gotten an unsealed copy of a game once. When I noticed it they returned it with no issues, but they didn't have anymore. It's a stupid practice in general though. I don't understand why publishers don't ship out an empty retail box with every order so stores don't have to open product.
That costs more money. Maybe not much but on the globalscale for the company it costs plenty, when this in essence is a free way of doing the same.

PtM

Banned
Came here just to say that I find the idea of this thread pretty gross. I know that we're all gaming enthusiasts here and know quite a bit about our hobby, but let's not talk down on people who don't.

I'll admit that I feel a bit dead inside when I hear an employee at any store give bad information. I also feel terrible when I hear the same employees attempt to sell someone warranties and pre-orders.That being said, Gamestop doesn't require a degree in gaming to work there, and I'm sure they don't pay enough to encourage their employees to become subject-matter experts.

We all have bad customer service experiences from time to time, but let's not put all the blame on people who are just trying to make a living.
Chopin!

A few months ago an employee didn't believe me that the final starter evolutions for Sun and Moon were real.

Then a different time some greasy dude gave me a three minute lecture about the importance of preordering because I bought a game he wanted.

Jeff6851

The Gamestop I usually go to is pretty good. No annoying pushing for preordering or extra stuff, no lies to get sales, etc. There was another one I went to when I was looking to build a PC (my friend wanted a game) and a clerk asked what system I played on so I told him PC and he was like "PC gaming is dead and keyboard sucks." While this was around the beginning of PC making its big comeback it wasn't like it had been a few years earlier when PC gaming was pretty much dead. There's also the terrible opinion that "keyboard sucks" though it is true for some games.

Another story that didn't involve something they said: there's this woman that works at my preferred store. She's a really big fan of Nintendo I can tell because every time I go through one of my Nintendo phases she gets excited when I buy their games. Anyway, I remember she sold me a Wii U and a few months later, due to a lack of games, I got rid of it. One of the employees asked if I wanted to preorder Mario Kart 7 and I said I had gotten rid of my Wii U. She was helping my friend and I swear her head snapped in my direction so fast I thought she was gonna kill me lol.

Cepheus

"Thanks for pre-ordering Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U."

My dad wanted to get it because he likes the Alien films and I didn't know anything about the game at the time. It's a shame I don't know where the receipt is anymore, because it might be worth something now.

Kthulhu

A couple months ago a GameStop employee slapped a seal on my game. When I removed it, it left glue behind that I can't remove. It's super annoying.

A car plowed through the front of my local store on Friday, so the craziest thing any employee has said to me now is "LOOK OUT!".

Seems like a logical response to me.

There is a difference between talking down on employees just trying to pay bills and strike up conversations VERSUS calling out an employee for lying to make a sell.

Not saying all of the situations fall into these two categories but I definitely experienced the latter.

I certainly didn't mean to say that no one has ever had a bad experience at a Gamestop or other stores. I just called out that there's a difference between a company having a poor working environment and people just being terrible at their job. I don't think that the OP promotes any sort of discussion on this matter. All this thread does is call upon bad experiences that promote a feeling of negativity for a general group of people.

What's creepy and uncomfortable about it? It's just the same as any other store.

Edit: creepy in particular is a pretty strong word

I agree with this. I hate GS but shop there semi regularly since they have used sales a lot.

Also I worked at GS from about 2003-2007ish and it was in the middle of the projects. Man the story's I got...

GS: "You can pre-order song of the deep, I think it's an adventure game like banjo kazooie"
ME: "What? It's a MetroidVania actually published by you guys"
GS: "What's a MetroidVania?"

Sacul64GC

Banned
It was over a year ago, and I'm just tired. Gamestop covers their asses by forcing you to sign a sheet of paper stating you did all these things wrong, even if you didn't, and you aren't allowed to "leave the room" without signing. It was very intimidating and vile, like something out of a mobster flick. This happened multiple times to me and my coworkers, who were constantly harassed by the SM/DM. That way, when lawsuits or legal action roll around, the court sees evidence that the employee DID do those horrible things, "And see? They even signed it too!" This is after my boss yelled in my face constantly, told me I was "poison", talked about killing other employees, etc.

I developed depression from the whole thing (had a lot of personal life issues going on as well) and I still work retail, just not Gamestop. Haven't been in since.

Funny enough the new motto is "protect the family"

When Xenoblade came out I my store's only copy preordered and paid in full. I got to the store just over a hour after they opened on release day and my game had been open, stickers put on the real case and the game was in a sleeve. They said they had to use it as a demo since it was their only copy even though I had it paid in full...

I ended up raising hell with the company until the GM gave me a full refund in gift cards and let me keep the game.

Servbot24

Banned
A few months ago an employee didn't believe me that the final starter evolutions for Sun and Moon were real.

Okay...? Not believing rumors from random people off the street sounds like the opposite of crazy to me.

GS: "You can pre-order song of the deep, I think it's an adventure game like banjo kazooie"
ME: "What? It's a MetroidVania actually published by you guys"
GS: "What's a MetroidVania?"

Not everyone knows about every random indie game that comes out dude. And he's a cashier, don't treat him like he's supposed to have some kind of investment in GameStop's publishing arm.

Skulldead

Not everyone knows about every random indie game that comes out dude. And he's a cashier, don't treat him like he's supposed to have some kind of investment in GameStop's publishing arm.

The guy propose him to pre-order... and didn't even give him the good information on the product. You can sell a pre-order and lie about the content of the game just too add a pre-oder ? because we all know they are note on that factor, this is a shady practice.

DrKelpo

Banned

come on...if the guys asks if he wants to preorder, he should at least have a basic idea, what the game is, he's trying to sell.

pikablu

One gamestop employee told my then girlfriend (now fiance) that the copy of minecraft for ps4 with a cracked middle from ripping the cd out too fast would still work. That's fine and all but seeing as she paid $2 less than retail, she decided to just buy it new.

Me: Hey, I called and reserved a copy of Dragon's Crown earlier on.
GS: What console?
Me: PS Vita.
GS: Did you check the PS Vita section? Its box should be there.
Me: Oh I called and reserved it, it has no box.
GS: Okay, one second.
*GS employee goes away for about 10 minutes, comes back with the game cartridge in a paper packet*
GS: Sorry about that! We don't have a box for it, so I didn't know it was just in the unboxed Vita section!
Me: Okay... *Laughs, pays, then leaves asap*

PtM

Banned
When Xenoblade came out I my store's only copy preordered and paid in full. I got to the store just over a hour after they opened on release day and my game had been open, stickers put on the real case and the game was in a sleeve. They said they had to use it as a demo since it was their only copy even though I had it paid in full...

I ended up raising hell with the company until the GM gave me a full refund in gift cards and let me keep the game.
That's utterly stupid, why display a preordered copy?

GKFinns

An old co worker of mine would straight up LIE to customers and said that if enough people pre ordered a game (in this case Fallout: New Vegas) that they would release the game faster.

When we would call him out on it he would get upset and say we were just trying to sabotage his numbers.

An old co worker of mine would straight up LIE to customers and said that if enough people pre ordered a game (in this case Fallout: New Vegas) that they would release the game faster.

When we would call him out on it he would get upset and say we were just trying to sabotage his numbers.
Wow fuck that guy

shanew21

My favorite was being told that Madden was only releasing on PS4 from then on since EA was fed up with Microsoft's initial Xbox One presentation and DRM strategy.

Citadel

I remember when I worked at EB Games as a teenager, and a customer got mad at me for pronouncing "Mario" the wrong way. He said that the way I was pronouncing it was "how dumbass Americans say it!" (This was in Canada, almost a decade ago).

All I could do was chuckle, and went back to work.

I've generally had good experiences when going to my local EB, as I am friendly with most of the employees there, and good friends with the Assistant. I understand they have their job to do, and I respect that they don't try to forcefully push anything on me when I go in to purchase something specific. But then again, I really only go in there to purchase specific items. I don't really do the whole "browsing" thing. Retail is a hell of a thing.

Durock

I don't understand why people complain about employees trying to push for pre-orders, reward cards and credit cards. They have a job they're getting paid to do, and that's part of their job. I worked at GameStop for a time and they're serious about their employees meeting daily and weekly goals regarding those things. I'll agree that they should never be "pushing it down the customer's throat" and should be respectful of the customer's desires regardless of their decision, but there's a lot of pressure on their shoulders sometimes when those goals aren't being met.

That's one reason they me be pushing even harder--especially towards week's end--as they'd rather not be held accountable for not meeting the goals their manager has set for them.

EDIT: Oh, and I may add that GameStop has no pre-requisites for working there. It doesn't matter if you don't know a lick about video games or not. One of my old managers hardly ever touched a game in her life and wasn't very knowledgeable at all about the video games themselves. She knew the business well though and was great at selling products and getting those pre-orders, power ups, etc. At the end of the day, it's a business and they're out to make money. Doesn't matter if you know it as long you can sell it.

NeOak

They did this to my copy of the Crysis LE back when it came out. I was so pissed and raised hell. Unfortunately all i got was a discount, but after that they knew who I was. They were more careful with my stuff after.

A few years later, they held a StarCraft II CE copy for me sealed hidden in their backroom for like 3 weeks while I was on a trip lol

Man, this thread is cringe-worthy. And not because of GameStop at all.

Yup, if the craziest thing a GameStop employee has ever told you is asking "What's a MetroidVania?," you seem to live in a pretty insular world.

I think probably 9/10 people in general would ask what the hell you're talking about if you threw that term out there.

eso76

Friend of mine asked if they had any inside information about the price for the Nintendo Switch.
One employee said "it should be around..I think it was like 70/80$" and the other corroborated "..yeah, yeah, it should be something like that".

So there you have it guys.
The Nintendo Switch to be under 100$

That i can pick up the switch in December if i pre order it otherwise i have to wait until march.

Me (knowing that its bullshit): oh wow so can i pre order it?
GS: not yet. Oh by the way u can bring ur 3ds to trade it since the games work on the switch

KeepersDome

I received a $50 gamestop gift card for Christmas and decided to hold onto it until Uncharted 4 came out. In April when it was released I went to Gamestop to buy the game, having to pay the extra $12 on so the gift card didn't cover. Of course I wanted to pay for my game and get out of there as quickly as I could.

The person that rung me up at the counter I believe was a store manager. She asked me about my renewing my PowerUp Rewards membership which had expired in 2014. I politely said no thank you. She asked if I was sure and I thanked her again and said I'm sure.

She then said "It really is a great program, do you mind if I ask you why you don't want to renew".

So I thought, okay, I'll engage and be completely honest with why I do not want to renew.

I explained I usually purchase my games new, and the only reason I am in here buying Uncharted 4 is that I received this $50 gift card. The PowerUp Rewards really is only a benefit when purchasing used games. I am a member of the Best Buy rewards club and every new game I get there is 20% no matter how long the game has been out.

She looked at me puzzled and asked "Well how much did THAT cost you?".

I told her it cost me $30 for a 2 year membership, so after I buy 3 new games, it's more than paid for itself.

She looks back at another GS employee and he gives the that's pretty good look to her, and she replies to me "Okay that's exactly pretty good".

The conversation ends there but she says "I'll think of something to bring back to shopping at our store" to which I played "sure go for it".

I went home and enjoyed playing Uncharted 4

wwm0nkey

That i can pick up the switch in December if i pre order it otherwise i have to wait until march.

Me (knowing that its bullshit): oh wow so can i pre order it?
GS: not yet. Oh by the way u can bring ur 3ds to trade it since the games work on the switch

When I worked at GS we found out the 3DS was going to go up for reserve in December, one of our coworkers tried to pull the same thing but I think he legit didn't listen to our manager when he told us about that and also added in BS details that the system could do X and Y.

I am going to assume pre-orders for the Switch will be in December too

DrKelpo

Banned
I received a $50 gamestop gift card for Christmas and decided to hold onto it until Uncharted 4 came out. In April when it was released I went to Gamestop to buy the game, having to pay the extra $12 on so the gift card didn't cover. Of course I wanted to pay for my game and get out of there as quickly as I could.

The person that rung me up at the counter I believe was a store manager. She asked me about my renewing my PowerUp Rewards membership which had expired in 2014. I politely said no thank you. She asked if I was sure and I thanked her again and said I'm sure.

She then said "It really is a great program, do you mind if I ask you why you don't want to renew".

So I thought, okay, I'll engage and be completely honest with why I do not want to renew.

I explained I usually purchase my games new, and the only reason I am in here buying Uncharted 4 is that I received this $50 gift card. The PowerUp Rewards really is only a benefit when purchasing used games. I am a member of the Best Buy rewards club and every new game I get there is 20% no matter how long the game has been out.

She looked at me puzzled and asked "Well how much did THAT cost you?".

I told her it cost me $30 for a 2 year membership, so after I buy 3 new games, it's more than paid for itself.

She looks back at another GS employee and he gives the that's pretty good look to her, and she replies to me "Okay that's exactly pretty good".

The conversation ends there but she says "I'll think of something to bring back to shopping at our store" to which I played "sure go for it".

I went home and enjoyed playing Uncharted 4

that is probably the least crazy thing in the whole thread.

Top Bottom