• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

Numb

This was a few years ago, but a friend of mine walked into our nearby Gamestop to purchase one of those limited edition PS2 Street Fighter controllers (this one, to be precise). He grabs it, takes it to the cashier and gets his money ready.

Cashier: Can I interest you in preordering Madden today?
Friend: Nah, it's ok. I'm not really into sports games.
Cashier: What?? No way, what kinds of games do you even play then?
*Friend looks down at the controller, then down at his own shirt*
Friend: ....puzzle games.

lmao
Can't blame them for going through their routine automatically anytime a human shaped form stands infront of them without paying much attention to anything else.

ChrisD

The rare chance I shop there I always end up giggling waiting in line or laughing at the cashier telling me some bull shit or trying to up sell to me. The most recent bad experience was me going in and asking if they still had preorders for the majoras mask new 3ds and the lady said no it's sold out everywhere and sold out in like 15 mins country wide. I said oh ok well thanks, but it'll go on sale on bestbuys website the next day and she argued with me that I was wrong. I said no, it will, and bye and the next day I ordered on successfully from bestbuy!

Do they tell their employees to read the worst rumors and tell customers that it's fact to feel informed and educated?

Except initial pre-orders did sell out chain-wide in a short amount of time. And it was the same with Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart; you name it. Stock did balance out to where getting one wasn't impossible, but on the first day you were screwed. Due to Nintendo's limited edition rarities in the US at that point, there was no reason to believe things would get better, either.

Glad you could get one and that it did work in your favor, but they weren't entirely wrong.

Velcro Fly

It's nothing major but one of the workers at my local GameStop told me to buy one of their membership things because he said he saw me in the store buying stuff all the time. He must have confused me with someone else since I'm only ever there for exclusive amiibo.

Sephzilla

chill? i worked for gamestop... i have every right to complain about retarded employees... its not MY job to inform them that theyre wrong about the products theyre selling.. lol are you kidding me?

and if its just a job... then do your job and know your product... just because its a low paying "dumb job" doesnt mean the employees get a pass. A job is a job... "know your product" is like business 101

i'm totally sure you had 100% knowledge of every game that was in the gamestop database when you worked there.

KiraXD

Because that's not their job. Their job is to not steal money, be pleasant, and restock. It's your job to know what game you want to buy.

They're not running a business, they're running a cash register at near minimum wage.

you work for gamestop?

seriously it IS their job to know... i know this because I had to know when i worked there. so unless you have experience working for gs...

i'm totally sure you had 100% knowledge of every game that was in the gamestop database when you worked there.

new games? yes i did.

Me: I asked for a new game, this one is open.

Cashier: No it's new, see that sticker that says new?

Me: It's fucking opened. I'll buy it... at the used price because it's certainly not new.

Cashier: It's new.

Me: Okay, I'm going to Wal Mart next door.

Garlador

One time I return a PSP I bought from Gamestop because it had some issues. Anywho, the Gamestop rep was trying to take out the battery and goes "Come on you *n word*"

Me the whole time...
what.gif

Please tell me I'm not the first to notice this as an "assault on battery case".

I'm going to just assume someone else did as well.

Just returned from my own store:
"Shadow of the Colossus is a boring game where all you do is ride around on a horse with your hand in the air."

... And I slowly walked away.

RedSnake

True story and one I'll probably never forget.
Went to a GAME with a friend to buy HALO 3 ODST on launch day:

GAME: Hello!
Us: 2 copies of HALO ODST please.
GAME: 360 or PS3?
My friend and I look at each other and reply at the same time: PS3.

We wait for like 3 minutes, she returns and says that they only received copies for 360 but tomorrow they'll have the PS3 version.

you work for gamestop?

seriously it IS their job to know... i know this because I had to know when i worked there. so unless you have experience working for gs...

For holiday help, we are encouraged to find applicants that don't necessarily have the extreme knowledge of games. If they are helpful, pleasent, and willing to work, they are just as important.

And reiterating: They don't get paid enough to care.

AlanOC91

Going to pick up Smash Bros on Wii U with a GameCube adapter.

Now fair enough. I didn't have it pre-ordered but I said I'd chance it.

Me: "do you guys have the GameCube adapter in Stock?" after bringing smash Bros wii u to the counter.

Clerk: "hmmm. Is that the white controller thingy?"

Me: "uhhh I think your thinking of a wii classic/pro controller (which is turns out she was). This is an adapter to use the GameCube controller with the game"

*second clerk passes behind counter*

Clerk 2: "all out of them sorry."

Disheartened. I decided to not buy it since I didn't want it without the controller adapter.
I tried a few other stores and decide to actually go back and pick up the game after about 15 mins.

Same original clerk at the desk.

Clerk: "Oh your getting smash wii u? Would you be interested in upgrading to the bundle version with this adapter?"

Me: "..."

To be fair. The only time I've been annoyed by Gamestop.

Ex:2

Funny to see this thread. I was at GameStop yesterday trying to get the lunar white xbox one controller, that they didn't to since I didn't pre-order. But anyway as waiting in some kids dad asked what difference was between his xbox one and the elite bundle.

GameStop guy said that its way faster to download games with and has 4k graphics and like $100 more expensive. The dad said oh word? and walked away.

Tambini

Not too crazy but I saw a used copy of New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi in GAME used so I asked the guy whether the Luigi DLC came on the disk and he was like "nah man it's a code cause that game only came out in a bundle"
So I was like okay never mind, I won't buy it, then I googled it for myself and found out it is on the disc so I went back "on second thought, I'll take it"

Just a misunderstanding I guess but he was really adamant about it not being on the disc

Spladam

For holiday help, we are encouraged to find applicants that don't necessarily have the extreme knowledge of games. If they are helpful, pleasent, and willing to work, they are just as important.

No, they don't sadly.

"Dark Souls is like Zelda for adults."

Didn't say it to me personally, but I overheard it and walked out. Actually this was a Game, not Gamestop, but since I'm already bending the rules....

I can't think of anything. If I ever do go (Canada's version is EB Games) they try to sell me bonuses, packages, deals, cards, etc. I say no, pay, and leave.

I don't think dumb retail workers is exclusive to GameStop.

shandy706

"Dark Souls is like Zelda for adults."

Didn't say it to me personally, but I overheard it and walked out. Actually this was a Game, not Gamestop, but since I'm already bending the rules....

I'd be fine with that. I mean, my 7 year old does fine in most Zelda games.

Dark Souls.....not so much.

Openly mocking me and everyone else picking up a Wii U on launch day. Also laughing at me and saying hell no wheni called in and asked if they were doing a midnight launch for it a few days earlier.

This was a manager. I got my system but cancelled all my games and went and got them at target instead.

Few months later I went back and it was all new faces.

LogN

I love reading these threads, really. I have never run a store where I asked or hoped my employees would lie.

We all play, we have a good idea of what people want and need. Never 100% obviously as everyone is different, but not far off. The average person who comes in to our store has no idea what they want and we try to figure it out.

Any store you go to, expect to be up sold, that's the nature of a business. Most "gamers" that come in are pretentious and the worst to deal with. Crucify me for that comment, but it's true. I'm not a pushy sales person, but I'll probe to see if you want anything else, of not, that's fine. It's your money, not mine. Infact the company is pretty adamant about not doing the "Every customer, everytime" sales pitch.

I'll offer you a warranty on the game or system, but I won't push the issue. One no is enough, but that's also my job. If you don't want to be sold something, don't shop retail. It's that simple.

Again, I do not condone or advocate anyone to lie for a sale, that's simply not a sustainable model for continued business.

KiraXD

This statement absolutely baffles me.

Do work ethics just not exist or are not encouraged anymore?

You are working to get paid... any amount is "enough to care" because you get paid to care. even if caring involves cleaning, or stocking shelves or assisting a customer...

and if you dont KNOW something... you ask a supervisor... this is like the ONE thing every single company asks of its employees... its simple customer service. and its part of almost EVERY low paying job...

No wonder people have such horrible experiences there these days... employees dont get paid enough to care... and managers dont give a shit if they care... awesome!

Berrigal

Neo Member
Me buying Pokemon Diamond at EB Games years ago:

'Hey man do you want to pre-order Pokemon Platinum while you're here? It's the last pokemon game Nintendo is ever making'

NeonBlack

When I was a kid I tried to trade in a few games for cash. One of them was Banjo Kazooie and they were only worth a few cent each. Dude told me selling those games wasn't worth. That's right, my craziest story is about the good Samaritan employee.

You are working to get paid... any amount is "enough to care" because you get paid to care. even if caring involves cleaning, or stocking shelves or assisting a customer...

and if you dont KNOW something... you ask a supervisor... this is like the ONE thing every single company asks of its employees... its simple customer service. and its part of almost EVERY low paying job...

No wonder people have such horrible experiences there these days... employees dont get paid enough to care... and managers dont give a shit if they care... awesome!

guy, get the stick out of your ass, its a job at gamestop, its not a big deal.

Nothing too bad, but while I was in line, I heard an employee tell a customer that Sniper Elite 2 was a sequel to Sniper:Ghost Warrior. I thought about correcting him, but ultimately decided against it.

Sephzilla

When people are more worried about paying bills and making sure they have enough food to eat because their job pays them too little, yeah they're not going to care much about whether or not Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive or not because they're probably worried about things that actually matter.

KiraXD

When people are more worried about paying bills and making sure they have enough food to eat because their job pays them too little, yeah they're not going to care much about whether or not Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive or not because they're probably worried about things that actually matter.

fair enough...

but if youre relying on GS to pay bills and put food on your table... "they dont get paid enough" kinda has a different meaning.

tebunker

Banned
Not a GameStop employee, but a "PC City" one.

"Why are you buying GameCube games? I have a PS2, that's what you should get. The GameCube is shit, man"

To this day I still regret not replying "Fuck you dumbass, leave me alone"
When I worked at EBGames in college customers would get pissed when I wouldn't pick a side or show unbounded joy for the game or series they loved.

I did not give a damn what people played or liked. I enjoyed talking games and gaming but if you like game x cool. If you like system Y sweet. It really surprised me how it pissed off a great deal of customers that I wouldn't swear allegiance to their bs army.

Sami+

lol are you kidding dude, it's Gamestop of all things. It's a meaningless stepping stone job for these people trying to make a bit of cash through college most of the time.

It's obvious you're playing Devil's Advocate here, but you must realize you're being ridiculous.

If someone works in a store that specializes in selling video games and isn't aware that a high profile game is exclusive to a particular console, they're doing it wrong.

depths20XX

This was when the original 360 didn't have onboard wifi and you had to buy the adaptor.

Customer: "Could I just like, run a long cable to it instead? You think that would be better?"

GS Employee: "Nah you're not gonna want to do that. You get around 1 second of lag for each 10ft of cable length. WiFi will be much faster."

volgihn

I work part time at gamestop and management doesn't push us to sell memberships or pre-orders. There is a series of test for upcoming games most associates are supposed to take to become familiar with upcoming releases however, management doesn't require us to take them. Most bad experiences depend on management.

I don't care how much money the store makes or if we are meeting sales. I only work 1 day out of the week and am there mostly for the employee discount/freebies. I've stopped people from buying the used copy of a game if the new one is cheaper and I've told people to sell their games somewhere else if they were getting ripped off.

so you're implying that you actually didn't know 100% of everything you were selling

I don't see something that's terribly wrong about this, to be honest.

I'd be fine with that. I mean, my 7 year old does fine in most Zelda games.

Dark Souls.....not so much.

Seriously? First off, it's implying that Zelda isn't for adults (it's biggest audience). Secondly: the gameplay, level design and focus on puzzles is all incredibly different. It's ridiculous, they're on opposite sides of the action-rpg spectrum.

Do you also believe Gran Turismo is like Mario Kart for adults? They've both got vehicles in them, and racetracks.

mackattk

Give it a break man... It is a shitty minimum wage job at Gamestop where all they care about is how many reward subscriptions and presells the employees do. They have enough to do at the store to keep them busy and maybe, just maybe, they don't want to study up on game that they aren't interested in on their own personal time. I know gaming is probably a huge hobby for you, but just try not to get offended if the person at gamestop asks what system the game is for, even if it should be readily apparent.

Maniac

Banned
That there literally is no such thing as a "Steam Controller" and that what I was probably talking about was one of their wank chinese Dualshock knock-offs.

Never again...

Sephzilla

It's obvious you're playing Devil's Advocate here, but you must realize you're being ridiculous.

If someone works in a store that specializes in selling video games and isn't aware that a high profile game is exclusive to a particular console, they're doing it wrong.

I don't think it's ridiculous because it's not something worth getting jimmies rustled over. If someone doesn't know Bloodborne is PS4 exclusive or that Sunset Overdrive is only on Xbox One it doesn't actually matter to you because you're still going to be getting the game for the right system anyway. Them asking "what system is that for?" doesn't actually matter at all for your purchase. They're an employee who gets paid to scan barcodes and pitch products to you. I'm not going to go to Gamestop and expect employees to be enthusiasts of whatever they're selling because I don't hold the same expectation for basically any store that pays employees minimum wage to do the same kind of things.

Rolled up to gamestop on a release night of GTA V.. the line was huge.. said fuck that. Went to Wal-mart next door. I was in and out of there before midnight. I got the game before Gamestop even opened their doors

Goney

*Brings Guilty Gear Xrd up to the counter*

Cashier: "Huh I thought this was like a Disney game or something"

Erm... no not really.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
*Brings Guilty Gear Xrd up to the counter*

Cashier: "Huh I thought this was like a Disney game or something"

Erm... no not really.

I still don't know how "Xrd" is supposed to be pronounced.

Amazing part to all these stories are females working at GS, the one nearest me that I have been to maybe 10 times has never had a woman working.

I was recently in my local Gamestop for the first time in a while to pick up Destiny Taken King, and there was a woman behind the counter. She was pleasant and didn't push back at all after the mandatory offers of a disc warranty and club card. It must be bizarro gamestop.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing part to all these stories are females working at GS, the one nearest me that I have been to maybe 10 times has never had a woman working.

Top Bottom