• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Director Confirms New Dragon Age In The Works, Says Jade Empire 2 Existed.

Lady Gaia

I enjoyed Jade Empire just fine, and I'm sure it would have plenty of nostalgic fans as evidenced here. However, it has been long enough that I can't actually name a single character and I'm not left feeling like they promised something they didn't deliver on.

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Trespasser ended on a huge promise of more to come. If they just dropped it there I'm not sure I could bring myself to care about any world building and storytelling BioWare did in another series. After all, they might just get bored and drop it halfway through again. I'm extremely eager to see what happens in the next Dragon Age and I do trust the team responsible to bring me a tale worth telling.

For all that it's fashionable to hate Inquisition, I had a great time with it. I loved exploring the world. I found the lore fascinating, and companions rich and memorable. The combat was weak and the primary antagonist wasn't well developed, but otherwise I thought it was surprisingly well done given how early in the generation it shipped. Bring on a meaningful sequel, BioWare. If they want to bring temporary closure and focus on other projects that's fine, but for now they have an explicit promise to follow through on,

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Dragon Age is my favorite currently-ongoing video game franchise, and I'd trade just about anything presently in production for a fourth title, so yay.

Fou-Lu

Do we know if it is Edmonton or Montreal working on Dragon Age? As much as I love Jade Empire and would throw DA under the bus in a second to get more JE, I still look forward to more Dragon Age over Anthem or Mass Effect. Inquisition might have been highly flawed but I loved it for the characters and environments and dragon battles.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Do we know if it is Edmonton or Montreal working on Dragon Age? As much as I love Jade Empire and would throw DA under the bus in a second to get more JE, I still look forward to more Dragon Age over Anthem or Mass Effect. Inquisition might have been highly flawed but I loved it for the characters and environments and dragon battles.

It's Edmonton. The core Dragon Age creative team hasn't disbanded over there and has moved on to the new title.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished DA: Inquisition on PS4 a couple of days ago, the end of the Trespasser DLC really cemented where the series is going next. I hope they capitalize on it and continue finish the Dread Wolf's tale.

Only major improvements I would ask for are improved mobility and better mounts. DA: I was really bad in terms of reaching from place A to B. Your character's and the mount's running speeds were abysmal.

In about a decade, Bioware have successfully gone from a company whose games I will buy without question to a company whose games I will not buy without question. It's sad.

Fou-Lu

It's Edmonton. The core Dragon Age creative team hasn't disbanded over there and has moved on to the new title.

Then I am not really worried. I hope they learn from their mistakes with Inquisition, but another Inquisition would still be great in my books.

Ahasverus

Dragon Age, for all the supposed "lore" it's got, still feels generic af. Jade Empire was unique, and due to losing the constraints of Western fantasy they got crazy with the Chinese influences. How is that not more creatively exciting?

But they're the ones who sacrificed The Old Republic 3 for a MMO so it's obvious current Bioware is the antithesis of 2000's Bioware. A fall from Grace only comparable to Rare. The poster child of gaming as art corrupted by the worst cynical company in the medium. Their soul is no more.

Let's enjoy Mass Effect with jetpacks and call it a day.

LastNac

I enjoyed Jade Empire just fine, and I'm sure it would have plenty of nostalgic fans as evidenced here. However, it has been long enough that I can't actually name a single character and I'm not left feeling like they promised something they didn't deliver on.

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Trespasser ended on a huge promise of more to come. If they just dropped it there I'm not sure I could bring myself to care about any world building and storytelling BioWare did in another series. After all, they might just get bored and drop it halfway through again. I'm extremely eager to see what happens in the next Dragon Age and I do trust the team responsible to bring me a tale worth telling.

For all that it's fashionable to hate Inquisition, I had a great time with it. I loved exploring the world. I found the lore fascinating, and companions rich and memorable. The combat was weak and the primary antagonist wasn't well developed, but otherwise I thought it was surprisingly well done given how early in the generation it shipped. Bring on a meaningful sequel, BioWare. If they want to bring temporary closure and focus on other projects that's fine, but for now they have an explicit promise to follow through on,

Henpecked Ho...

Ralemont

not me
Why tho? As if current BioWare was capable of crafting something remotely unique and with great RPG mechanics.

Jade Empire had great RPG mechanics?

I don't want to sacrifice Dragon Age, but Jade Empire 2 might actually be a good fit for BioWare's current priorities considering it was a pure action game on the combat front.

Bioware ain't going to scrape their best selling
and best period
franchise for Jade Empire lol. And I'm glad they aren't, there's way more that needs to be told in that universe.

I can't actually name a single character

200_s.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't love Jade Empire the way most did, I think at the time I just couldn't forgive the game for not being Bioware's Kotor 2, but I also would take it over a new Dragon Age.

IMO that series needs a break.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

BioWare Montreal is only a small satellite studio now. Most of their staff was given to Motive.

The staff that remains updates Mass Effect Andromeda's multiplayer and does some support work on Anthem.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't the main story for Dragon Age end? How many stories is there left to tell?

Not at all. The epilogue DLC for Inquisition not only answered many longstanding plot holes across the franchise, but paved the way for a new story to be told in the next game. There is a lot left to explore in the universe without just throwing players across time and distance like in Andromeda.

Papacheeks

Banned
I thought Dragon age series though great in the first game, had a lack luster story, and great strat combat.

I felt nothing for DA:I, and really with games like The witcher series among Elder scrolls I feel we don't need another Western fantasy RPG. Would rather they put all their efforts into Jade Empire, new Knights of the Old republic, or something new entirely not tied to online like Anthem.

Dragon Age past the first game has been inconsistent.

Just my 2 cent's.

Weebos

Banned
We really do. Dragon Age is the only of those three series with ample focus on a full squad of companion characters, which is vital to the experience for many players.

Yeah, I much prefer Dragon Age to both the Witcher and Elder Scrolls. Not just for companions but the lore, cultures, and world of Thedas are just much more interesting to me.

Killzig

Didn't the main story for Dragon Age end? How many stories is there left to tell?

I feel like at the end of Trespasser things were finally getting interesting. I am not a fan of the recent gameplay in DA, but the story seems to finally be getting to the main event and transitioning to one of the more interesting places in Thedas (Tevinter).

Ploid 3.0

Hope Dragon Age is being made by the A team, seeing as Anthem is made by them, and it's not close to finish, it's not looking likely. I bet the Andromeda team is on it :(. Why!!

Jade? Eh

JosiahPasquale

Neo Member
Thanks for posting/commenting on/listening to my podcast, guys! After talking to Mike, here are some of the main points that stood out:

• Actual quote: "It's no secret that we're doing something with Dragon Age. I can't talk about what, but we're certainly involved in something." They're also hiring, so something big is in the works
  • Jade Empire 2 was, at one time, at least in the concept stage of development. As of now, Dragon Age team is way too busy to make both, but Mike has a clear idea of what that game would look like
  • I feel like he knows that Dragon Age II was a bit too tight, while Inquisition was too open at times. Everything points to the new game being just right

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I bet the Andromeda team is on it :(. Why!!

They're not. Edmonton has maintained a core Dragon Age team since the beginning. It's Laidlaw, Darrah, [based Mordin writer] Patrick Weekes, etc and it's Edmonton.

Thanks for posting/commenting on/listening to my podcast, guys! After talking to Mike, here are some of the main points that stood out:

• Actual quote: "It's no secret that we're doing something with Dragon Age. I can't talk about what, but we're certainly involved in something." They're also hiring, so something big is in the works
  • Jade Empire 2 was, at one time, at least in the concept stage of development. As of now, Dragon Age team is way too busy to make both, but Mike has a clear idea of what that game would look like
  • I feel like he knows that Dragon Age II was a bit too tight, while Inquisition was too open at times. Everything points to the new game being just right

Hey, thanks for swinging by! I appreciate the added notes here. I'll give the interview a full listen later today. I've always enjoyed Laidlaw interviews, he's a cool dude.

Hopefully they can at some point get back to working on Jade Empire. We need a new one so badly! Well I sure do. We have pretty much no games like that.

jmood88

Every time I give up on Jade Empire, I'm reminded of the sequel we never got and I get sad.

They don't need to follow any of the characters but they made a really cool world that they could do a lot with.

PrismStar

I would love a good high budget medieval chinese setting RPG, while there are a lot of Chinese MMOs out there but most are really really bad

Raven117

I don't know Bioware...you really need to focus on getting a huge win here. (Ie Anthem).

After that, you can go back to Dragon Age and try to remember what it was like to actually write games with heart.

Top Bottom