• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit Cards & Finances |OT| Rewards, Cash Back, APR, & More!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'd be interested to know if that actually works out for you.
I'm surprised there isn't language in there that says the full purchase must be made with that card like there is with Discover.

It does seem like it's all well within the rules after reading the full terms.

Syriel

1. The $1000 site is shady as fuck
2. The price protection claim only cover $500 max, though I assume that's per card. I know I can do it on a single card, but I'm wondering how it would work if I do 2 cards per my scenario

• If the store is "shady as fuck" the price protection claim will get denied.
  • No, you can't double coverage by splitting over two cards.

Ashhong

• If the store is "shady as fuck" the price protection claim will get denied.
  • No, you can't double coverage by splitting over two cards.

It doesn't look shady, and is a real site. I've gotten price matches from way shadier sites. It's just not an authorized seller.

Are you speaking from experience? Just curious. Because it all seems within their rules

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I got a bit of a conundrum. Spent the past year rebuilding my credit as I have had none for over 10 years. I am currently up to 700-720 right now by using my secured credit card which has a limit of 300. Problem is that the limit is a bit low and my credit to debit ratio is usually sucks due to using it monthly. I was wondering would it be best to apply for a legit CC to decrease this debt to credit ratio or just increase the deposit. I am leaning towards applying but I am in the midst of looking for an apartment and don't want to have any credit application rejections to fuck up my apartment hunting. Wut do finance gaf?
I'd skip on increasing the deposit and would just open a new account. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a card with a credit score in that range honestly.

If you're still worried about it though, do you remember if you opted in for offers when you signed up for the secure card? If you did, you can try clicking the "check if I prequalify" button on CC sites. Checking that way won't ding your credit score or pop up on your credit report.

Could also apply for store credit instead of a CC, Synchrony (Newegg, Amazon, Walmart, a shit load of other stores) gave me thousands of dollars in credit with a CC score lower than yours when I was rebuilding my credit. My second CC on the other hand didn't boost my overall available credit as much with its $700 limit.

Ashhong

I got a bit of a conundrum. Spent the past year rebuilding my credit as I have had none for over 10 years. I am currently up to 700-720 right now by using my secured credit card which has a limit of 300. Problem is that the limit is a bit low and my credit to debit ratio is usually sucks due to using it monthly. I was wondering would it be best to apply for a legit CC to decrease this debt to credit ratio or just increase the deposit. I am leaning towards applying but I am in the midst of looking for an apartment and don't want to have any credit application rejections to fuck up my apartment hunting. Wut do finance gaf?

Are you paying your bill off in full? If so, pay the card off after your payment is due, but before the next statement cycle. Not all the way, leave like 10$ or something. This will help your ratio at least.

For what it's worth, I had 780 credit score and target started me out with 500$ lol

when i started with a $200 secured card, i used to pay off enough of the balance to keep it under 10% before the statement period ended so my statement balance was always under 10% of the credit available.

So I have about $3,500 total in credit card debt spread over four sources of credit. I was thinking of consolidating these through a personal loan. It seems to me that P2P lenders have pretty good rates (potentially) but after applying I was only qualified for offers in the ballpark of 16% APR to 30% APR, which is no better than just keeping the debt on the cards. Is there some other avenue I could go through to get a loan around that amount with, say, 12% APR or less?

Credit score of 718 for what it's worth.

ronco2000

So I have about $3,500 total in credit card debt spread over four sources of credit. I was thinking of consolidating these through a personal loan. It seems to me that P2P lenders have pretty good rates (potentially) but after applying I was only qualified for offers in the ballpark of 16% APR to 30% APR, which is no better than just keeping the debt on the cards. Is there some other avenue I could go through to get a loan around that amount with, say, 12% APR or less?

Credit score of 718 for what it's worth.

Try credit unions.

Just payoff your smallest balance first then so on.

Anybody well-versed with Chase Price Protection?

Their policy states this: To be eligible for coverage, you must charge some portion of the
item’s purchase price to your Account or use rewards points earned
on your Account toward the purchase. You will only be reimbursed
up to the amount charged to your Account or the program limit.

Here's my scenario. There's a TV I want to buy for $2000, and there's a site advertising the TV price at $1000. If I split the TV cost on 2 different Chase cards with the price protection, and then file a price protection on both cards showing a $1000 difference, would they send me $500 on each card?

What if the cost of the cheaper TV was $1400, theoretically wouldn't they still send me $500 refund for each card, since each card is handled separately?

What's your relationship with Chase like? If you're a high value customer, customer service reps have more latitude to make adhoc decisions to help you.

Vire

Looking to start some sort of savings but interest rates seems like .003% across the board for savings accounts. What's the best route GAF?

Zoe

Looking to start some sort of savings but interest rates seems like .003% across the board for savings accounts. What's the best route GAF?

Ally is 1.15%

Also look at your local credit unions. One of mine has a 1 year CD (up tp $1000) at 5%.

Assuming you're in the U.S.: don't use brick-and-mortar banks for savings -- online banks are about 1.10-1.20% right now.

If it's long-term (longer than a year), you should probably look into investing that money. Money sitting in a savings account will have pressure from inflation, which is currently low (below 2%) but still higher than any current savings yield. Even a mid-term bond fund will likely provide a higher yield than that.

Syriel

It doesn't look shady, and is a real site. I've gotten price matches from way shadier sites. It's just not an authorized seller.

Are you speaking from experience? Just curious. Because it all seems within their rules

Price protection is a Chase benefit but (just like extended warranty) it is underwritten by insurance. You're basically filing a claim.

If you read the terms, there is a limit of $500 per item. You're not going to get more than that, no matter how many cards you split it across.

Only spend the money if you can afford to pay full price and consider the price protection a "bonus."

So I took Syriel's advice and applied for capital one no annual fee card and got approved for 3k. And yeah I was paying the entire balance off monthly but I would use it right away as I just wanted there to be some sort of activity on it so they would report it to the credit bureaus. Now I can use the C1 card mainly but still use the secure card for small things like fast food runs or gas. Next up is picking a store card of some kind to get another boost. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Zoe

So I took Syriel's advice and applied for capital one no annual fee card and got approved for 3k. And yeah I was paying the entire balance off monthly but I would use it right away as I just wanted there to be some sort of activity on it so they would report it to the credit bureaus. Now I can use the C1 card mainly but still use the secure card for small things like fast food runs or gas. Next up is picking a store card of some kind to get another boost. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Do you get any points or cash back with the new card? No good reason to keep using the secured card.

Nah no points or anything with the new card. Don't think i'd qualify for those as they capital one site stated that you needed a few years credit to be approved and I rather have a better chance then get turned down. Apparently you can upgrade in the future and it won't look like a cancellation on your history. I guess I will just keep the old secured card for now since closing it would look bad on my score.

Ashhong

What's your relationship with Chase like? If you're a high value customer, customer service reps have more latitude to make adhoc decisions to help you.

Good but I'm pretty sure a third party does these claims.

Also, to clarify, I'm not looking to scam them or get away with something against the rules. I feel like it's a legitimate question based on the wording of their own terms.

Price protection is a Chase benefit but (just like extended warranty) it is underwritten by insurance. You're basically filing a claim.

If you read the terms, there is a limit of $500 per item. You're not going to get more than that, no matter how many cards you split it across.

Only spend the money if you can afford to pay full price and consider the price protection a "bonus."

Do you mind showing me where it says that? My terms only say 500$ per account.

The last line seems like odd advice. It's not a bonus, it's a feature. Being able to lower the price of an item is a huge factor in what TV I want to buy. Why would I not factor it into my original decision (other than in this case, where I don't know how it'll work

The activity that's reported is when the statement ends, which is usually a few days after your bill is due. Assuming you used it consistently, you would already have new activity on it, then you would pay the previous balance, and you're left with the remaining balance. The trick is to pay off that remaining balance before your statement ends, but leave a little bit. I found that it helps a ton when trying to build your credit

DOWN

Banned
Chase has updated the design of the Freedom finally. No more disgusting looking embossed old school numbers on the front.

New_Freedom_Card.jpg

Zoe

Just got an email that the Amazon Prime card will get 4% back on gas in September through November.

Chase has updated the design of the Freedom finally. No more disgusting looking embossed old school numbers on the front.

New_Freedom_Card.jpg

Freedom unlimited too or just freedom?? either way, Im planning on getting a regular freedom in addition to my unlimited soon, so this is a nice touch

I want to increase my credit limit on my discover card (student, paid everything on time, $750 limit). This will be the first time I request an increase.

I want to increase my credit limit on my discover card (student, paid everything on time, $750 limit). This will be the first time I request an increase.

I just did. Never missed a payment, always pay in full, $3000 limit. I just need some breathing room for movement expenses before I get a relocation sum from my new job. Not necessary, but good to have. I only need a couple thousand more but I went ahead and asked for 25k.

uhh that can't hurt me right?

SeanC

Took this thread's advice and got the Citi Diamond card to transfer my soon-to-expire no APR card balance over.

Got approved right away, 10k limit (way, way more than I needed), 2 years no APR. My Credit Score was way better than I thought it was too, closer to 800. This helps alleviate some concerns I was having for the rest of this year and I can focus on my move to a new home and get into paying off that balance once that's done and over with.

In other words, thanks Credit GAF you all good.

lunchtoast

Signed up for this new AA card. 60k bonus = $840. Free checking, preferred boarding, plus when you cancel you should be able to keep your points since it'll be on your AA rewards account. No spending requirement, just make a purchase in the first 90 days.

Took this thread's advice and got the Citi Diamond card to transfer my soon-to-expire no APR card balance over.

Got approved right away, 10k limit (way, way more than I needed), 2 years no APR. My Credit Score was way better than I thought it was too, closer to 800. This helps alleviate some concerns I was having for the rest of this year and I can focus on my move to a new home and get into paying off that balance once that's done and over with.

In other words, thanks Credit GAF you all good.

You're welcome! :D Enjoy the peace of mind.

can you have both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited? Got a promo email telling me to change my F to FU.

Its weird

Normal freedom is 1% and then rotating promotional cash back options every month or two

Unlimited is a flat 1.5% cash back on everything and doesnt appear to get any other perks

Ashhong

can you have both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited? Got a promo email telling me to change my F to FU.

Yes you can. If you change your F to FU though you WILL NOT get the sign up bonus, unless for some reason your promo tells you specifically that you can

Its weird

Normal freedom is 1% and then rotating promotional cash back options every month or two

Unlimited is a flat 1.5% cash back on everything and doesnt appear to get any other perks

Normal Freedom categories rotate every 3 months. What do you mean Unlimited doesn't get other perks? It has all the same perks like Price Protection and Extended Warranty, just different rewards

Yes you can. If you change your F to FU though you WILL NOT get the sign up bonus, unless for some reason your promo tells you specifically that you can

Normal Freedom categories rotate every 3 months. What do you mean Unlimited doesn't get other perks? It has all the same perks like Price Protection and Extended Warranty, just different rewards

Yeah i was only referring to cash back promos

RoKKeR

Quick question for you, CC GAF. Got approved for a Delta Skymiles Gold AMEX this week, but with a pretty measly credit limit of $2k. (I am just starting my first job out of college so I get it) I also put in an application for a Chase Sapphire Preferred kind of on a (maybe ill-advised?) whim and am sort of in the middle of that application process. Should I bail on the application for the Chase Sapphire card? Seems maybe dumb to have two active travel cards open at the same time, but maybe if I am able to get it from Chase I could use it to build credit across both cards.

Definitely a noobie with all of this so any thoughts would be appreciated. I also have a standard WF cash back card that I've had since college that has been my primary up until this point.

(I should say I travel on and off for work and outside of that travel a good amount regardless)

sangreal

"Through September 22, 2017, get a total of 15% Back at AmazonFresh with an Amazon Prime credit card."

Sweet deal. Apparently been going on for a week now but I just noticed it

Quick question for you, CC GAF. Got approved for a Delta Skymiles Gold AMEX this week, but with a pretty measly credit limit of $2k. (I am just starting my first job out of college so I get it) I also put in an application for a Chase Sapphire Preferred kind of on a (maybe ill-advised?) whim and am sort of in the middle of that application process. Should I bail on the application for the Chase Sapphire card? Seems maybe dumb to have two active travel cards open at the same time, but maybe if I am able to get it from Chase I could use it to build credit across both cards.

Definitely a noobie with all of this so any thoughts would be appreciated. I also have a standard WF cash back card that I've had since college that has been my primary up until this point.

(I should say I travel on and off for work and outside of that travel a good amount regardless)

You could always product change the Chase into a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Go for it.

FactoryofLies

Neo Member
No one talking about how Chase will no longer allow you to get both the CSP and CSR? Pretty big deal. I am glad I racked up so many points already and that chase is going this route instead of devaluing the UR. Just spent a week in Hawaii with over $4000 in flights in hotel all free thanks to CC signup bonuses.

Top Bottom