• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit where it's due: Xbox Series X looks amazing.

LokusAbriss

I've seen so many threads etc about this, but never seen any proof. lol Seriously, not a single x360 died on my. what you people even doing? I don't get it

Launch 360s died left and right. They fixed the problems with hardware revisions and the slim at a later point. But the problem was huge.

My launch 360 had the ring of death. My PS3 fat had horrible fan noise. I exchanged them for a 360 Elite and a PS3 slim. Those work fine till today.

The PS4 and PS4 Pro have many cases of extreme fan noise. Owning such broken hardware is a horrible experience.

You cant go wrong with Xbox since the 360 Elite / Slim days. But the higher performance and heat levels wont make it easier for them.

ethomaz

Banned
did you ever play a demanding game? or only small indie games?
Some consoles are indeed quiet with any game even demanding ones.

My PS4 launch model is very quiet... the opposite not situation the fans go loud is in some games where the menu have uncapped fps.

I think U4 on menus for more than 30s get loud... it is the last game I remember. Death Stranding is pretty quiet no matter gameplay or menus.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't even know if my pro is quiet or not because i use headphone or the volume from the tv speakers is always louder than some cooling fans...

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Honestly, over the past days, the design itself has grown on me.

However, I hope the design serves a very practical purpose.

Having the heat go up may be beneficial for, well, heat distribution in the device. That again - hopefully - means that Microsoft had taken the factor noise seriously during the design process.

There is nothing more annoying than a loud console.
Its as quiet as the X according to Phil Spencer. Which is to say, "quiet AF".

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
did you ever play a demanding game? or only small indie games?

I play all kinds of games, MGS V, Death Stranding, Infamous: SS, DOOM 2016, Battlefront, Skyrim, DMC V, etc... without going over all the games I have played on it... it is more than small indie games only.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People who say their Pro is quiet, its quite clear they haven't seen the older Pro's, and haven't experienced an X. The X is stupidly quiet, and the old Pro's were jet engines.

I own a launch Pro, while the X can be even more quiet it does not really matter beyond ensuring a meme stay as such ;).

Last edited:
TBH, mission accomplished with this design. Everyone is talking about it, it's notorious. It's cuboid, so not cylindrical like an Echo Plus but similar enough that the general consumer looks at it not totally askew.

MilkyJoe

The PS5 devkit looks like a toy, it reminds me of some cheap Nyko ventilated type controller or something. If the actual system shares design cues with this I wouldn't be too jazzed about having it in my entertainment system. I think we're well beyond the days of edgy toy like designs, they're impractical, needless, they become an eyesore.

Minimalism and simplicity is modern design, not this.

EKoVqizXYAA5tOt-b072.jpg

A great example of design failure is the PS4 and Pro, with the shape of the system the back of the console is a wedge with the inputs and outputs inset on the top and bottom of the wedge which makes the act of blind reach around hooking up of cables a total nightmare, and the only reason for this is because of their aesthetic choice. They focused on the casing design more than practicality, more than the function.

Except the PS4 and pro were some hideous chuds that even a mother couldn't love.

People say it's ugly, but if it were a PC people would say it's the best looking case on the market.

PS it's mandate was performance over aesthetics. People should be glad of that.

Last edited:
When you build a high end pc, you choose High end big Tower cabinets to contain all that power. So series X doing same. It's a Tower of Power.

Xbox Series X - Tower of Power

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's going to have to sit sideways in my entertainment center. I suppose it can sit vertical behind my TV, but I have all these shelves below my tv.

Eh, I'm good. I'll figure it out. Can't wait for this E3.

Nester99

Do you do all your shopping with that logic?

For comparable items where ascetics provide zero utility or value. Absolutely.

Computer towers
Routers
Headsets

Nobody buys a game consul for how it looks, so it intrinsically does not matter, those who think it matters are insufferable.

Let me know if you have any other questions Mr Grinch.

Grinchy

Banned
For comparable items where ascetics provide zero utility or value. Absolutely.

Computer towers
Routers
Headsets

Nobody buys a game consul for how it looks, so it intrinsically does not matter, those who think it matters are insufferable.

Let me know if you have any other questions Mr Grinch.
How often do aesthetics provide utility? Under that logic, you shouldn't even care what your car or clothes look like when buying them. You should only care how protective the shirt is.

And I actually like the look of the Xbox Series X One S Pro Durango! But it's very strange to tell other people that they're wrong for caring what a piece of equipment that will sit next to their TV for 7 years looks like.

Last edited:
I'm done with Xbox until it becomes interesting again, and that hasn't happened yet. Quite the opposite in fact.
The choice is yours, hopefully, they show something come E3 2020 that peaks your interest, if not, enjoy your time gaming none the less.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's yuge. Reinforce your entertainment centers.

If that size is accurate, it will take up an entire section in my media stand. My X currently fits, so SeX is about double the height (and a touch more).

Not even sure it will have good ventilation like that.

Might have to move it to the centre media stand shelves which are wider.

Top Bottom