• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit where it's due: Xbox Series X looks amazing.

prag16

Banned
It's certainly different. There hasn't been a console shaped like a column.

So now we've had cubes, slabs, columns, and the N64 (?)

But still no sphere,....... Sony.
giphy.gif

sinnergy

I'm not sure where I am supposed to put it tbh.

It wont fit under my TV anywhere. I could squeeze it in next to my TV, but do I really want a big black box there? No.

I could put it behind the TV somewhere I guess but it will be a pain to get at for discs.

It's an okay design for a PC Tower...it's an absolutely baffling design for a home entertainment centre :messenger_frowning_

My brother, who is a casual gamer, said there is no way his wife is going to let him clutter up the lounge with a big black box....I expect that story will be played out across the world.

He also said he could swap it over for their air purifier (identical design) and she may not notice! :messenger_grinning:
I have the x behind the tv, works like a charm. When do you really use the drive in an age that becomes even more digital, I hardy do now, but I would have put the drive on the top on series X.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Such a perfect design that since day one even with the original system there were cooling and noise issues with the blower fan model and system ventilation.

Such a perfect design that this carried over far worse with the Pro.

Such a perfect design that the power and eject buttons are the smallest things imaginable and sit flush with the face of the system where they're not only hard to make out but also their icons are barely visible.

Such a perfect design that to a large degree the systems don't sit flush with their surface and wobble.

Such a perfect design that the inputs and outputs sit inset on a concaved wedge on the back of the system which makes blind hookups a pain in the ass.

Perfect design indeed.
Are you doing these exercises daily or what? Well, I plugged in my PS4, connected HDMI after I bought it and never touched anything since then. I turn it on with the controller and that's all. Why do I have to care about these "nuisances" when I do not actually have to approach it. It is a magnificent looking, futuristic design. You have to rely on your sense of touch/memory to eject the Bluray disc, which is also a fantastic idea. And if you happen to have a limited RED MGS edition, well, that is even more captivating. Nothing came close to Playstation console design on the market.

I admit it is a bit noisy with games sporting uber graphics (GOW), but the screams of monsters/weapon sounds suppress it.

Are you doing these exercises daily or what? Well, I plugged in my PS4, connected HDMI after I bought it and never touched anything since then. I turn it on with the controller and that's all. Why do I have to care about these "nuisances" when I do not actually have to approach it. It is a magnificent looking, futuristic design. You have to rely on your sense of touch/memory to eject the Bluray disc, which is also a fantastic idea. And if you happen to have a limited RED MGS edition, well, that is even more captivating. Nothing came close to Playstation console design on the market.

I admit it is a bit noisy with games sporting uber graphics (GOW), but the screams of monsters/weapon sounds suppress it.
Anecdotes don't matter, it's piss poor design. That doesn't have any bearing on the system itself in terms of its capability or software library but the design of the console itself is pretty shit.

Flintty

It looks like a GameCube grew through its teens into something fresh but with simplistic style, I really like it. XSEXy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If you gave me a choice I wouldn't have designed it like a block, consoles deserve better but what impress' me most are the specs. I'm amazed they bit the bullet on the PC tower design.

Domisto

looks dull but practical, would fit nicely in my setup

still not getting one xsxsxs

I'm kinda expecting Sony to respond with something really wacky (pls don't)

Jadsey

Wait, this is actually a thing? Are you should he's not actually your sister? What a god damn pussy.

I know. It’s embarrassing tbh.

Whenever we see them, my wife laughs and says ‘Imagine if I spoke to you like that....I’d never see you again!’

Damn straight.

It does make me appreciate I have a wife who doesn’t moan that I play games about 25 hours a week.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ZehDon

Gold Member
I don't think it's ugly. I follows Microsoft's current design methodology, but it also hearkens back to stuff like the Gamcube:
41NZXCWFCGL._SX342_.jpg

Functional, with just little bit of a style. Why design an elaborate console when we literally call for it to disappear beneath our televisions? We want it to blend in, silently, and be forgotten once its in place. I think it achieves that. The name, on the other hand, I think is a mistake.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'll admit I like it but "WOW, Sony better pull out all the stops now!!!" is absurd and insane.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Honestly, over the past days, the design itself has grown on me.

However, I hope the design serves a very practical purpose.

Having the heat go up may be beneficial for, well, heat distribution in the device. That again - hopefully - means that Microsoft had taken the factor noise seriously during the design process.

There is nothing more annoying than a loud console.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Definitely looks better than all of the one series, but it still feels... Unfinished? Like the aesthetic isn't complete to me for some reason. Looks better vertical than on its side but I suspect most people will have to lay it over because of their entertainment stands. What will the slim look like, a vase?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The design works really well for me. I have my 1X in my bedroom on my dresser instead of in an entertainment center. I bought a 4K TV that's a little too big for the dresser, In addition to the TV, I have the 1X, router, VIOP phone and soundbar all crammed on the dresser.

Horizontal space is at a premium even though the the dresser is quite large, but vertical space is obviously no problem. I like the looks of the XSX in the vertical position better and it will require half the horizontal space the 1X currently uses so in addition to loving the aesthetics of the XSX the form factor is a big plus for me.

Instead of using its own new controller, I prefer to look at the pictures comparing it to other consoles for an idea about its size (shows the impressive work done engineering the airflow and cooling on the XB1X as it manages a thinner profile than PS4 Pro):
ltQeQNY.jpg

0uZcDdO.jpg

bkkHsOC.jpg

The issue I see potentially with XSX is either it’s space vertically or airflow when laid horizontally due to other devices sitting close by and potentially blocking the flow of hot air (you make it easier on the HW when you can push heat out upwards as it is it’s natural flow like on the old Mac Pro and on the default XSX setup) .

With many TV / Home Entertainment Centre setups if you lay the console horizontally and the console having a single giant fan on its side is that it will likely blow all the heat against other components you keep close by. Most setups leave space for the electronics to take cool air from front and sides while pushing out hot air from the back where (cables aside) you have ample space for the hot air to disperse and cool down.
These pictures make it seem big as shit, basically the size of 3 X1X's. That's gonna be so cramped in my TV stand there's no way it doesn't cause air-flow issues.

clem84

Gold Member
I understand some people not liking the name, but I think Xbox series X has a nice ring to it. Most likely not the complete name because names will be given to the different models in the series but I still like it.

I also like how it looks. No problem there. I also like how they didn't reinvent the wheel with the controller. It's promising so far.

Best part... It has an optical drive! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Isa

Pretty sure you'd insert something other than Blu-ray discs inside the console … :D :D :D

Can't wait for some madman to cram a fleshlite in there and slap a picture on the thing. "So.. much.. bandwidth! So... many.. flops!"

I actually really like the design, the function first approach, and just next-gen overall. I'm ready for the new tech and games hopefully with more variety this coming gen. Xbox Game Studios have me very excited to see what they all bring and Hellblade II looked awesome. It'll be interesting to see what Sony plans to do with the PS5 and both systems specs. I imagine such a powerful gpu and cpu clocked at God-knows-what will generate some serious heat. Currently I trust MS more on cooling solutions. I'm definitely there Day 1. I just want MS to keep releasing info before E3, I bet Sony and MS will keep leapfrogging until then.

Kagero

It's sort of grown on me. I don't like the holes on this top. would much prefer horizontal vents. I also, don't think a lot of thought has been put in to how this is going to integrate in to most people's living rooms. It will most likely sit similar to how subwoofers sit. Behind the TV lol. I do like the simplistic approach and should make for some interesting limited editions.

ethomaz

Banned
It is bad.
Way worst than any Xbox One design.
The be didn't help too.

It is basically a tower... Xtower.

It is like MS didn't even care about design because if you out a bit of money to create a design for console you will end with something better.

The jokes and memes are deserved.

Last edited:

nocsi

Wait this is the new Xbox? I've seen these strewn across Microsoft campus and always thought they were just some shitty router they've made. lmao

Top Bottom