• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

Soulhouf

How do you do that? Sorry some of the mechanics are so confusing. I barely beat the encounter at the beginning of Act 2. I had to pop so many Potions and 1 MP potion just to finish it.
Scroll down on the weapon's page and you will see monster icons with numbers. It actually works in the same way as Vagrant Story.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Maybe someone here could help me.

Haven't played since Christmas and forgot where I need to go next. I am in Chapter 3
and I think Frea mentioned I have to go to where the road split or a fork in the road or so. I am in (and around) the room where the Lich respawns.
Where do I go next?

Back to the previous floor? I thought I had already checked the rooms on the current floor.

Yes, back to the previous floor. Don't think of them as different levels as much as one continuous map and it becomes more clear.

So, I think I'm going to buy this game.
The thread is pretty active, this means that the game is at least interesting, right? What would you suggest to me between this and Liberation Maiden? What are the strength points of Crimson Shroud?

The thread is pretty active, this means that the game is at least interesting, right? What would you suggest to me between this and Liberation Maiden? What are the strength points of Crimson Shroud?
Games are not comparable at all. Liberation Maiden is not bad but pretty simple. Crimson Shroud is unique in its approach (tabletop RPG) and has great writing. I had way more fun with Crimson Shroud, so there's that.

Liberation Maiden is also pretty great, but Crimson Shroud just has more going for it. Longer game, more replay value, waaaay more gameplay depth, deeper story, more fleshed out characters. Both are worth checking out though, Liberation Maiden is just the more shallow game by comparison.

Sora_N

Trying to find the
key
for Ch 2, killing those
skeletons
faster each time since I kept melding my weapons that I found.

Ricker

Ok guys,what do I need for the second Minotaur fight...the battle goes on forever because he keeps healing himself with the same amount of HP he deals damage with Blood Strike or something...I am guessing somekind of Silence spell from Frea,but she doesnt have any...after 45 minutes of fighting I just gave up...

vareon

For a relatively short and linear game for 3DS eShop, this thread's quite active alright. And I need to begin my NG+ playthrough any day now :/

Sora_N

It's not labeled as such. Starts with an O.

Thanks ill keep looking

Ok guys,what do I need for the second Minotaur fight...the battle goes on forever because he keeps healing himself with the same amount of HP he deals damage with Blood Strike or something...I am guessing somekind of Silence spell from Frea,but she doesnt have any...after 45 minutes of fighting I just gave up...

Impair his accuracy and his attack, that's what I did. Or try to equip a mino weapon too if you have one.

Sora_N

Don't do what I did, and keep fighting mages for 2.5 hours thinking you need a key when all you need is the
Obsidian Daphne
. Check your inventory.

Haha I actually didnt get it till 6 or 7 battles in, but on the plus side I found some cool equips. I have an awesome anti skel weapon too (+3 gladius) and my characters all have great skills. Onto ch 3!

Gambit

Just finished it. I will take a break before NG+ (as Kid Icarus has arrived today).

I really enjoyed it. The characters are interesting, and the lore as well as the game mechanics far bigger than necessary for such a small game. (Took me 6 hours)

All in all, I would absolutely recommend it further and didn't regret it one bit. If Guild 02 had (will have) anything like it, I'd definitely buy again.

Also just finished up last night. My final playtime was a shade under 10 hours. Some of that was grinding to try to move on in Chapter 2. Some of it was not quite knowing where to go at various states and fighting some extra battles. That said, it made the end game fairly easy. I was able to plow through both of the last 2 fights without much issue.

I liked it a lot. For an $8USD downloadable 3D game with a decent story and interesting play, I'd recommend it to anyone with a 3DS. I'm not even an RPG fan but the "gimmick" of the dice and the pace of the game was nice.

There are two types of precious things: Drops like the
Obsidian Daphne
where the game literally won't let you have more than one at a time and those expensive Boss Drop Accessories (usually they cost ~300 BP).

jackal27

Banned
I'm almost at the end of NG+2 and still get new items from the monsters.
Where is the removed text supposed to be?

The removed text was just joke text that replaced the regular stuff.

I finished my New Game + playthrough last night!!... and was so sad that it was over... However, there are STILL new items in new game ++?

Oxx

That 'grind until you get the drop' section is so weird.

It only took about 7 or 8 battles, but I really don't know what they were trying to do.

Oh well, onto chapter 3.

shtkn

i just got to chapter 4 in NG+ and i still haven't
been able to unlock any of the new areas that show up on the map. any advice on how to do that? i swear i've gone to every place available at least twice now...

Soulhouf

i just got to chapter 4 in NG+ and i still haven't
been able to unlock any of the new areas that show up on the map. any advice on how to do that? i swear i've gone to every place available at least twice now...

Check "The Confessional" room in the Depth.
Hint: it's a random key drop.

Oxx

Golly gosh, I got so amazingly confused somewhere in and around
The Haram

Hopefully I'm back on track now. I've spent 7 hours with the game now and I think I saw some people finishing it in 6.

Dwayne

It took me 10 hours to finish. I saw a reviewer say he finished in 5. He also complained about the story which makes it sound like he rushed it.

Golly gosh, I got so amazingly confused somewhere in and around
The Haram

Hopefully I'm back on track now. I've spent 7 hours with the game now and I think I saw some people finishing it in 6.

That's probably because
once you get teleported out, one of the characters makes some remark about how they have to find a way back in and it makes you think you have to look for some secret teleporter or something, when all you have to do is select it on the map like any other location

Oxx

That's probably because
once you get teleported out, one of the characters makes some remark about how they have to find a way back in and it makes you think you have to look for some secret teleporter or something, when all you have to do is select it on the map like any other location

I got there in the end (after touring the entire map).

Took me a couple of attempts to win that battle as well. I'm just bad at games.

Oxx

Done @ 8:08. I really enjoyed it. I feel like they didn't entirely nail all of the novel aspects, but it was certainly refreshing.

I would buy the hell out of a series of games like this. It really does feel like a spinoff of Vagrant story, and I love the rich world and clever mechanics. I don't mind how simple the game is, it's just really fun.

Eventually, I bought it!

After the weird initial impact (because of the static characters, and the narration), I'm liking it. The OST is great, and I'm getting used in all the mechanics. I'm just 1 hour in, so I'm at the very beginning but I'm pleasently surprised (also: Vagrant Story vibes).

Just finished it the other day, loved the whole game, the story was great until
the ending which had me going wtf, felt really anticlimactic
. The gameplay was amazing and just the whole style and presentation where great. I would have liked the game to be voiced, even if it was just a voice for a dungeon master or something, one person reading everything out I think it would of helped to add to the feeling of a table top RPG.

Its a shame Matsuno didn't hang around Level 5 for any longer, I would have loved to see a few more of these comes out. Same style of play just a different story in the same world. I think with the way the game was made it would have been very easy to just make new stories with the same assets or something.

So yeah great game that really left me wanting more and thats a good thing.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it the other day, loved the whole game, the story was great until
the ending which had me going wtf, felt really anticlimactic
. The gameplay was amazing and just the whole style and presentation where great. I would have liked the game to be voiced, even if it was just a voice for a dungeon master or something, one person reading everything out I think it would of helped to add to the feeling of a table top RPG.

Its a shame Matsuno didn't hang around Level 5 for any longer, I would have loved to see a few more of these comes out. Same style of play just a different story in the same world. I think with the way the game was made it would have been very easy to just make new stories with the same assets or something.

So yeah great game that really left me wanting more and thats a good thing.

I finished the game today, also had a fantastic time with it. Despite taking 7 hours it felt like a finished product. Proof that an RPG can be substantive but also 'snack size'.

I love the fact that there was no hand holding but rather the player is thrust straight into the game and information is withheld but then provided when essential.

I would also love another game in the same style but it does not have to be in the same universe.

matmanx1

Purchased this game this morning and just did the first battle and tutorial area. I love it already. The writing is absorbing and the music is A+ tier!

I finished the game today, also had a fantastic time with it. Despite taking 7 hours it felt like a finished product. Proof that an RPG can be substantive but also 'snack size'.

I love the fact that there was no hand holding but rather the player is thrust straight into the game and information is withheld but then provided when essential.

I would also love another game in the same style but it does not have to be in the same universe.
It feels like a Short Story to be honest and I think there is alot of room for games of this nature to survive. The eShop or other download only services would be a great area for games like this to come out. I like that its just a short snack of a game that can be played between playing other bigger games. Can really break things up. I really hope Short Story RPGs become a thing going forward as its a really great little idea.

Diablos54

Only 2 more days until I finally get this, can't wait! It's been too long since FF XII, I've been dying for a new Matsuno game.

I'm lost in the second area. I assume it has to do with
disabling the death glyph on the chest.

Any hints?

It doesn't. You have to get
into a battle with the Skeletons in the waterway, kill off a Skeleton Archer and hope a Skeleton Mage spawns, kill the Skeleton Mage and hope it drops an Obsidian Daphne in the loot screen.

Diablos54

So I'm only like 20 minutes in, but I can tell I'm going to love this. There goes the rest of my day. :D

Edit: That
Minotaur
was pretty tough, took me 20 minutes just to beat it...

Edit 2: That
Zombie Minotaur
wasn't a joke either, unexpected too, I hadn't saved just before it.

Edit 3: Fucking Skeletons Archers, why do they keep coming back!? :(

cj_iwakura

Go NG+ now. It's worth it: new items, new areas to explore and a new ending.

Wow, good to know. And yeah, The Witch Kings were easily the toughest fight for me.

I never understood how skills work. How do you keep a certain spell active? Is it just totally random?

Soulhouf

Wow, good to know. And yeah, The Witch Kings were easily the toughest fight for me.

I never understood how skills work. How do you keep a certain spell active? Is it just totally random?

You can learn some skills by experience and those remain active but the most interesting ones are attached to weapons. So when you switch weapon you loose that skill.

BTW nice Victor avatar.

Top Bottom