• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

Yuterald

On Chapter 2 at the moment. Game is still delivering. Fucking in love with this. I'm obsessed with the music between chapters with Frea btw.

People weren't kidding when they said this has Vagrant Story vibes.

How many chapters long is the game? I'm nearing the end of chapter 3, and hoping it's not ending soon.

I'd been looking forward to this since its announcement but my hype had waned a bit in the light of some negativity the last few months. I was surprised to see almost entirely positive reviews and impressions, and went ahead and picked it up.

Really glad that I did. I'm just starting chapter 2 (and on guard for Matsuno's troll, thanks) and it's impressed me so far. I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said by others. The choose-your-own-adventure/table-top feel is great and battles are fun, lengthy but rewarding. Plan on playing through it a few times.

Gambit

played about 40 minutes. I love the presentation, especially the music.

Someone should simply give Matsuno his own series (Ivalice Chronicles?) where he can switch between genre and playstyle at will. He won't get bored, and we'll get his games.

Win-Win

Wow guys, I wasn't expecting so much positivity from this thread! I only played the opening 30 minutes before I sold Guild 01 back (higher buyback price). Was thinking of DL'ing Crimson Shroud off the JP store, and after reading all these impressions, I'm definitely eager to dive back in again.

I finished it and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like the premise and style would have worked well in a longer game as well, it wasn't just some novelty good for a few hours. And
hahaha at that ending.

Is the new game plus the same or is there any new content?

duckroll

Just made it to the start of chapter 4. Pretty great stuff. They should consider taking the game script and releasing it a a novella for fantasy fans who don't play games. The writing is good enough to stand on its own imo.

Short review:

An instant, charm-filled classic. Deconstructed RPG with very simple graphics but a love letter to Vagrant Story in many visual ways. Some of the mechanics are totally inspired. Having the loot be worth points which you then have to balance against is just so excellent. You get to have a lot more itemage but not so much that it immediately unbalances you, and it gives you a sense of progressive loot customisation even before you're using or equipping. This eschews post-MMO game design which influenced him in FF12 but also goes back to the more famous variants of AD+D 2nd edition. The dice rolling is pure nostalgic fluff at first but then you realise just what the degree of randomness does to play flow.

Matsuno simply KNOWS game design. He knows a great deal about it at a conceptual level and thoroughly enjoys tinkering with inserting/removing elemental rulesets into formulas.

Most of the game is very tightly woven, though definitely check out videos if you're not sure about graphics.

A complete surprise addition to my best games of 2012.

This game: Amazing.
Liberation Maiden: Amazing.
I'll be buying Aero Porter just because its in the same Guild01 collection.

Just made it to the start of chapter 4. Pretty great stuff. They should consider taking the game script and releasing it a a novella for fantasy fans who don't play games. The writing is good enough to stand on its own imo.

Well, its partially Alexander O Smith who did all the good FFs. You may be interested in this academic article going over his writing and localisation, along with a couple of others.

http://www.eludamos.org/index.php/eludamos/article/viewArticle/64/123

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Do you know if the second or third walkthrough is easier than the first time?

The monsters are stronger but you also get better loot and the treasure chests have different items.

duckroll

The monsters are stronger but you also get better loot and the treasure chests have different items.

What about the additional story choices? Do they amount to anything interesting or worthwhile?

Well, its partially Alexander O Smith who did all the good FFs. You may be interested in this academic article going over his writing and localisation, along with a couple of others.

http://www.eludamos.org/index.php/eludamos/article/viewArticle/64/123

Why are you telling me who Alexander O Smith is? Lol.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
What about the additional story choices? Do they amount to anything interesting or worthwhile?

Just started chapter 1 again and have not made it to any additional story choices yet. There is however an additional room in chapter 1 and
a locked chest and no key. Looking for the key now

Yuterald

Quick impressions from Chapter 2 (lol, I'm totally stuck too, but I don't want to look up how to proceed just yet!)

I LOVE how focused and tight this game is. I also don't think battles take too long either. Sure, some of the fights can last awhile, but some of those claims seemed to be a bit exaggerated. You can tap any room on the map and walk there directly and bypass encounters completely. You can also retreat from an encounter if you do return to enemy rooms one by one. The focus on gear is really fucking cool too. The mini crafting system is just interesting enough as well. I fucking love the 3-man party focus too. For a group of allies who don't animate, they are packed with some damn good personality. It's all in that writing. Oh, and holy shit at all of the enemy/dungeon descriptions. I've never seen Goblins or Skeletons justified/explained to this level of degree. When games go as far as to explain why there's treasure chests in a dungeon or why enemies occupy an area, you've got something special on your hands. So good.

God, the sound design is much better than I expected. The crackling of fire from a torch, the sound of water flowing down a stream, the growls of monsters in the distance, etc. Man, some of those event scenes are pure audio-gasms. I wish the enemy death screams were a bit more pronounced though. I feel like I'm hearing two sounds on top of each other when an enemy dies too.

Also, I don't like how the power of healing is based off of your magic resistance. I don't believe in having a penalty for increasing stats. You can take care of risk/reward shit through equipment or other means. Not that it seems to matter TOO much in this game since it's on a much smaller scale and there's no traditional leveling, but still. That's pretty barfy in my books. It seems like the kind of decision that would result from starring at an excel sheet or growth rate formula for too long. The database guy needed to take a step outside and get some fresh air on that one, lol! I'm being MEGA nitpicking, by the way. Game's fucking amazing still! =D

Okay, can someone tell me the exact process for this Chapter 2 bit? I've followed the
Archers > Mages > Skeleton
order 14 times now and haven't got the right drop. :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, can someone tell me the exact process for this Chapter 2 bit? I've followed the
Archers > Mages > Skeleton
order 14 times now and haven't got the right drop. :(

Some said that the loot is randomised. Have you gone into the room with the
fog of war
?

EDIT: Late.

Ricker

Okay,never bought anything from the Eshop for my 3DS but you guys made me get a 20 dollars prepaid card yesterday...this better be good ;) lol...

Some said that the loot is randomised. Have you gone into the room with the
fog of war
?

EDIT: Late.

I've been in every room it's possible to go in. What a dreadful piece of design. I was absolutely loving it up until then, too.

EDIT: Is it worth me
keeping one archer alive and just killing mages? Will they keep appearing?

EDIT #2: 15 times now, still nothing. :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I've been in every room it's possible to go in. What a dreadful piece of design. I was absolutely loving it up until then, too.

EDIT: Is it worth me
keeping one archer alive and just killing mages? Will they keep appearing?

EDIT #2: 15 times now, still nothing. :(

I must have been pretty lucky because I got it quite quickly. In one or two battles. Not sure if there's a difference to whether you keep
the archer alive

duckroll

There is no "trick" to it unfortunately
other than needing at least one mage to show up. It's random, so it could take one try, or fifty tries. :(

What if I like Masuno games but I don't give a shit about table top rpgs, would this still be worth it?

Do like turn based RPGs? Vagrant Story? The table top stuff mostly applies to the presentation, I think the writing and combat are interesting enough for an $8 game.

Yuterald

What if I like Masuno games but I don't give a shit about table top rpgs, would this still be worth it?

I never played a table top game in my life nor do I have any nostalgic attachment to D&D games. I'm merely a lover of vids/RPGs/Matsuno games and this is my GOTY. Enjoy!

duckroll

Would you pay 8 bucks for a short Vagrant Story style fantasy novella written by Matsuno and translated by Alexander O Smith with an awesome Sakimoto soundtrack?

Diablos54

Would you pay 8 bucks for a short Vagrant Story style fantasy novella written by Matsuno and translated by Alexander O Smith with an awesome Sakimoto soundtrack?
I'd pay a hell of a lot more than that! That's as close to a RPG dream team as we're going to get these days!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You do have to be real careful about what equipment you have on especially for the mage girl. A few times I was screwing around with stuff and left her pretty much useless against the enemies I was fighting (undead as per usual fantasy tropes are immune to dark magic, demons however are not.)

You do have to be real careful about what equipment you have on especially for the mage girl. A few times I was screwing around with stuff and left her pretty much useless against the enemies I was fighting (undead as per usual fantasy tropes are immune to dark magic, demons however are not.)

yeah, I did that too

Just meld some decent magic onto her accessories, you don't change them very often, if at all. Then you can use whatever weapon you want and still have magic to use against incompatible enemies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just meld some decent magic onto her accessories, you don't change them very often, if at all. Then you can use whatever weapon you want and still have magic to use against incompatible enemies.

I know all about that but this was still pretty early in the game and I didn't have any good magic to bind yet. One brainfart can turn a five turn fight into an hour long affair though.

Koroviev

This game sounds amazing on so many different levels. Reviews make it seem like a relative of the main-line SMT games.

Wow, that Chapter 2 roadblock. "You want to avoid needless fighting... but you may not have a choice." ASTUTE OBSERVATION, GAME. At least it only took me 5 or 6 tries.

VICI0US

As someone with a history of playing D&D, Warhammer, GURPS, Call of Cthulu, and other tabletop RPGS.. this game is pretty rad.

Only a couple hours in but I've really enjoyed it so far.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the impressions are killing me, matsuno needs to start making more games like now.

This. Fucking. Script.
Such gorgeous writing. Love how the models are made to even look like real figurines.

Still to go deeper into the games depth, A LOT for people to take in.
Very excited for this game though!

Top Bottom