• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringeworthy things you've seen gamers in person do?

poodaddy

I remember overhearing a conversation during a college class one day. Two guys were talking about what games they play. The one guy said, "I like call of duty, GTA, madden". You know, the games that are socially acceptable to like among normal people bereft of any individuality or flair. And then the other guy said, "I like to play JRPGs". there was a brutal second of silence before the professor said something loudly to make us all shut up and listen to him, which saved his fucking ass. I would have loved to hear the rest of what that conversation was about to turn into.

lol u are a hero
The bolded is probably the cringiest bs I've read in this whole thread. Same level as telling someone they're not a "real gamer." Grow up.

wolfhowwl

Banned
An adult playing a Nintendo handheld in public is pretty much a declaration of surrender in the struggle known as life.

renzolama

Was in the middle of asking a girl out in high school and some guy who was a stereotypical geek/nerd/etc. comes up to me and asks me if I made sure to get the treasure chest you could miss in Beville Temple in FFX.

I glared at him.

Needless to say I went home with my hand that day.

Is this a parody post?

redcrayon

I remember overhearing a conversation during a college class one day. Two guys were talking about what games they play. The one guy said, "I like call of duty, GTA, madden". You know, the games that are socially acceptable to like among normal people bereft of any individuality or flair.

Is it really necessary to call the huge amount of people who only play a handful of the most popular games 'bereft of any individuality or flair'? You know nothing about them, they could have all kinds of other stuff in their life that matter more to them than games, and no one is obligated to have eclectic niche taste in the hobby in order to be an individual. That's just ridiculous elitism towards people who are quite happy playing what they like.

I have various hobbies other than games where my knowledge and interest doesn't run very deep, the idea that I'm bereft of individuality as a person because exploring one or more of my hobbies to any depth doesn't matter that much to me is just weird.

Elitist attitudes exist in almost every hobby, and they are always from people looking down on others who only care to dabble with something that is one of their real passions. Since my daughter was born most of my
hobbies have become smaller parts of my life, I didn't realise that was my individuality slipping away because I read a few very popular books last year instead of the niche pulp stuff that my younger self was absorbed in.

Playing obscure computer games does not make you a deeper, more interesting, more imaginative person than someone who plays sports and shooters, no matter how comforting you might find that idea as a young person (presumably if you're at college). One of my brightest friends only dabbles in such games because he has sod-all spare time and works bloody hard in a scientific field I can barely comprehend. People are made up of more than their interest level in any one hobby, and if you think that a single hobby is the only barometer of someone's worth as a human, you might want to work on that.

poodaddy

Is it really necessary to call the huge amount of people who only play a handful of the most popular games 'bereft of any individuality or flair'? You know nothing about them, they could have all kinds of other stuff in their life that matter more to them than games, and no one is obligated to have eclectic niche taste in the hobby in order to be an individual. That's just ridiculous elitism towards people who are quite happy playing what they like.

I have various hobbies other than games where my knowledge and interest doesn't run very deep, the idea that I'm bereft of individuality as a person because exploring one or more of my hobbies to any depth doesn't matter that much to me is just weird.

Elitist attitudes exist in almost every hobby, and they are always from people looking down on others who only care to dabble with something that is one of their real passions. Since my daughter was born most of my
hobbies have become smaller parts of my life, I didn't realise that was my individuality slipping away because I read a few very popular books last year instead of the niche pulp stuff that my younger self was absorbed in.
Preach.

Bubaer

Doesn't happen often, but it grinds my gears whenever someone says “lol“ instead of just, you know, laughing normaly

its weird that the lack of self awareness this place has at times.

like legit spending any amount of time talking about videogames on the internet could be considered cringy by a lot of people.

Yeah but...this is a question posed specifically to this forum of mostly-like-minded people who might tend to have similar opinions of things that make them cringe.

It doesn't matter if people outside this forum would cringe at the fact that this forum exists.

This is like going to off-topic side and telling people they should be ashamed of themselves for talking about what they don't like about conservatives because there are so many people out there outside of this forum who would be offended by that.

Playing obscure computer games does not make you a deeper, more interesting, more imaginative person than someone who plays sports and shooters, no matter how comforting you might find that idea as a young person (presumably if you're at college). One of my brightest friends only dabbles in such games because he has sod-all spare time and works bloody hard in a scientific field I can barely comprehend. People are made up of more than their interest level in any one hobby, and if you think that a single hobby is the only barometer of someone's worth as a human, you might want to work on that.
You right. Sorry for my careless words.

batbeg

People not holding the run button in Mario games. I've tried time and again to explain it to my girlfriend but alas.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The bolded is probably the cringiest bs I've read in this whole thread. Same level as telling someone they're not a "real gamer." Grow up.
This actually reminds me that I used to know a person irl who's a gamergater. Dude sould use terms like real gamer all the time. Was pretty grating especially hearing him complain about feminism near constantly. Honestly had to yell shut the fuck up because no one wants to hear that shit.

jax

Banned
An adult playing a Nintendo handheld in public is pretty much a declaration of surrender in the struggle known as life.
Anyone who sees an adult playing a Nintendo handheld in public and really thinks this has serious insecurity issues.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My initial point was those who did not like the design for artistic reasons being treated as those who who had other, less than legitimate reasons.
But this didn't actually happen.

You mean "legitimate" like:
Legitimate concerns, folks. Don't put gay characters in your games if you're not going to make a documentary on their sexuality.

Also, right here is the reason why spending five minutes checking someone's post history is the smart thing to do before spending twenty minutes explaining them about the effects of concern trolls to the discussion:

Ah well, lesson learned. Put on ignore and move on.
Oh boy, yeah, there it is. Yeah I might think your advice...

It's shallow but hey, this whole thread is:

People wearing videogame merchandise clothing from games I don't like.

To me it just reflects what kinda games they like and I judge them.

FYI: I have these 2 but they're pretty cool games and pretty cool designs too

t77ogEr.jpg

64dream.jpg

EDIT: I don't know how to re-size these pics...

renzolama

Anyone who sees an adult playing a Nintendo handheld in public and really thinks this has serious insecurity issues.

Yeah, this is a very antiquated perspective. I bring my 3DS with me anytime I have a sit-and-wait scenario. People are welcome to think what they want about it, but the vast majority of the time I'm probably the most financially successful individual in the room. It's 2017, adults who work in tech and like video games / toys are one of the wealthiest segments in modern society. I'm actually kind of shocked to see all the responses in this thread still expressing shame in the public appreciation of gaming.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I love metal gear.

But I winced when I heard someone use the CODEC sound as a ringtone.

But why?

Should no one be allowed to publicly display their affinity for games they like?

At my college, countless people play their 3DS' and show their love for games in public (wearing merchandise, etc), and I don't really give a shit.

jax

Banned

t77ogEr.jpg

64dream.jpg

These are really dope. Where can I cop?

Some of you are wrong, it is still possible to be cringy. I went to gamestop to preorder the Switch,no preorders available ofcourse, and while browsing,I noticed some kid was laughing at some other kids who were shopping for Nintendo games with their mother. He was going on about how its for babies and that the Xbone was for real gamers. The victim's mom was confused, and noticeably upset. I walked up to the kid and told him the game he was looking at, which was Mario Kart for Wii U, was pretty great and that they were going to like it. I'm 28, so I figured they would feel better about their purchase if an adult thought it was cool.

Off the top of my head...Brawl's midnight launch, I suppose. There was a kid sitting next to the demo station ranting about the voices in Diddy Kong Racing DS. So cringey!

Alright this is a pretty amusing story at my expense.

So in high school we did this cool project on time travel for English class. The goal was to make a presentation on different types of media and how they portrayed time travel. Me an my friend being huge nerds chose video games. I decided to do Braid, because I thought the twist on the Mario formula was immediately understandable and accessible. My friend decided to do Kingdom Hearts 3D which had just come out. I played that entire game to completion and still don't know what that story was about, and thought it was a horrible choice for a 5 minute presentation, but whatever. The day of the presentation I do my thing and thought it went well. Then my friend starts his and busts out a fucking massive flowchart and begins explaining the Kingdom Hearts storyline from beginning to end, including complementary cutscenes that sounded really cool as a kid and not so much now. I was basically trying to melt into the wall as I watched the class become more and more confused. Even after the class people were like "what was up with that Disney game lol" I guess the joke is on me though, because a week later for no apparent reason the professor eviscerated me in front of the class saying "You should have put more work in like *friend name,* he had a flowchart." Even my friend was like "yeah I dunno man"

Guess the moral of the story is I'm insecure about my love for video games and I see things that aren't really cringe as cringe.

lol holy shit.

gabelsqt

Some of you are wrong, it is still possible to be cringy. I went to gamestop to preorder the Switch,no preorders available ofcourse, and while browsing,I noticed some kid was laughing at some other kids who were shopping for Nintendo games with their mother. He was going on about how its for babies and that the Xbone was for real gamers. The victim's mom was confused, and noticeably upset. I walked up to the kid and told him the game he was looking at, which was Mario Kart for Wii U, was pretty great and that they were going to like it. I'm 28, so I figured they would feel better about their purchase if an adult thought it was cool.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

I guess the cringiest thing I have seen was a game store employee who told me they did not work with Wii U games because only little kids and "gay"(not the word he used) people would buy them, and that was not the kind of crowd they wanted in their store. I left the store after staring in disbelief for a while. I regret not saying anything or having a good comeback at the time.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

I guess the cringiest thing I have seen was a game store employee who told me they did not work with Wii U games because only little kids and "gay"(not the word he used) people would buy them, and that was not the kind of crowd they wanted in their store. I left the store after staring in disbelief for a while. I regret not saying anything or having a good comeback at the time.

Wow, that is so wrong. You generally don't want to confront people like that, but holy shit...

Rambaldi

Not negatively? I was trying to paint you a picture of someone who's still playing an old game, assuredly for nostalgia, talking shit about someone playing other games for nostalgia. If I didn't tell you which games he liked, it wouldn't show how hypocritical he was. I didn't know "wowhead" was offensive. My bad.

I'm incredibly confused. Nostalgia? The game still has regular expansions and still has a large player base. Hell, the most recent just came out in August. The guy could have been an asshole but honestly your entire posts just reads as a gaming hipster who can't stand ~~popular~~ franchises.

RetroMG

Several years ago, (this was probably 2008 or 2009) I was taking an evening writing class at the local community college. One night as the class was getting started, one of the students asked the teacher if he could make an announcement. I could tell that the teacher was surprised by the request, but he allowed it.

The student stood up and gave an impassioned speech about how unfair it was that the Final Mix* version of Kingdom Hearts 2 had only been released in Japan, and how he had organized a petition to send to Square to convince them that there was an audience in the US for the "true" version of this amazing game.

Most of the class had no idea what the hell he was talking about, and the few people in the class who did (myself included,) were cringing at how incredibly awkward the whole thing was.

*I think that was the version. I'm not sure.

jax

Banned
I'm incredibly confused. Nostalgia? The game still has regular expansions and still has a large player base. Hell, the most recent just came out in August. The guy could have been an asshole but honestly your entire posts just reads as a gaming hipster who can't stand ~~popular~~ franchises.

By that logic Smash Bros just got a huge update too. I know I've played a bunch of MMOs in my day and usually what keeps me coming back is nostalgia.

Maybe you got a max level guy in the vanilla wow days and want to play that character now, for nostalgia.

Just like if you got great with Pikachu on the n64 and still play that character now, for nostalgia.

But you're missing the point, the point is he's throwing Nintendo under the bus because he's "an adult", yet still plays games like cod and wow which are also marketed to and have a large player base of non-adults. Hypocritical.

Doomedfool

This thread disappointingly seems to be equal parts game shaming and shaming those who game shame.

Seriously. It's kind of sad. We are on site mostly dedicated to gaming, and, apparently, talking about games, playing games, or wearing gaming shirts is a great shame. Hell, even not wearing the "right" kind of gaming shirt is looked down upon. The hell...

I know it's been said but really, the more I read this thread the more I realize by a long shot the cringiest thing ever is gamers feeling smug because they are more ashamed of their hobby than others. If you a) feel ashamed or b) cringe at others because of something like wearing a T-shirt or playing a handheld during a commute, it's you who has massive insecurity and immaturity issues. This is to an extent understandable (and even typical) if you're 15-20, but if you're 30+ and still feeling that way, start to worry and consider doing something about it because it's definitely not normal.

Worst I've ever gotten/heard are snobby "wow you actually LIKE that game?" comments. Go be a dick somewhere else, pls.

Bullshit. You realize the whole reason people were calling out the homophobia was because there was pretty overt homophobia and sexism with those posts what with people saying she was a lesbian stereotype and had a manly jaw and hands. Saying the artist designed Ellie as a "lesbian stereotype" reeks of homophobia. There's nothing that screams lesbian stereotype about this design
[/QUOTE]

Yeesh, those comments.

"You can't see her hips!"
?!?!?!? Yeah, you can't see much of her figure because she's wearing loose, baggy clothing, most likely for comfort and ease of movement over fashion and showing off curves. Maybe she hides weapons on her person, who knows. It also makes her look like she's led a hard life on the run in a zombie infested world, while also maintaining a look like a rebellious teen/young adult. Jesus, we can explain away chainmail bikinis, high heels on every female character, etc. but someone actually dressed for the world they live in and not primarily for titillation is a whacky notion.

I can see not liking the design because maybe they think it's too plain, or not liking tattoos in general, but all the moaning over how she's not pretty/dainty enough. >_<

Van Bur3n

Some of these posts sound ridiculous enough to come from 'shit that never happened' land. But then again, perhaps that just says how ridiculous some people can really be.

ViolentP

Some of these post sound ridiculous enough to come from 'shit that never happened' land. But then again, perhaps that just says how ridiculous some people can really be.

I once had 2 Gamestop employees chuckle at me and ask "you really buying that?" when I picked up Katamari Damacy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My initial point was those who did not like the design for artistic reasons being treated as those who who had other, less than legitimate reasons.

Re-reading that thread, I'm having an awful lot of trouble pinpointing the "artistic reasons" you dislike her design.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Worst I've ever gotten/heard are snobby "wow you actually LIKE that game?" comments. Go be a dick somewhere else, pls.

Yeesh, those comments.

"You can't see her hips!"
?!?!?!? Yeah, you can't see much of her figure because she's wearing loose, baggy clothing, most likely for comfort and ease of movement over fashion and showing off curves. Maybe she hides weapons on her person, who knows. It also makes her look like she's led a hard life on the run in a zombie infested world, while also maintaining a look like a rebellious teen/young adult. Jesus, we can explain away chainmail bikinis, high heels on every female character, etc. but someone actually dressed for the world they live in and not primarily for titillation is a whacky notion.

I can see not liking the design because maybe they think it's too plain, or not liking tattoos in general, but all the moaning over how she's not pretty/dainty enough. >_<
Exactly.

13randO

Not taking a shower for days, despite having access to one. My uni holds a huge LAN party that lasts for an entire weekend every semester. By Monday, the lecture hall smells like ass. Most people live on campus; and there's a ton of free showers in at the gym 10 mins away by walking, but most don't. Nasty.

ViolentP

THey probably slipped into madness after using that...

To be fair, he probably did it because madness caught him a long time ago. Still, when we hang out and those texts start to fly, I begin to consider all the life choices I'd made up until that point.

Aeana

Do you have a hedge maze that you use to hang your shirts in

Top Bottom