• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Brashnir

Critical story point with a time-sensitive world-ending threat? Let's go videogame style and finish up these sidequests so we don't miss them!

this is why video games will never match pen and paper RPGs

Man... Keyleth getting shut down by Pelor kinda made me genuinely feel bad for her. Marisha was trying to flex her acting chops and I don't think it went the way she thought it was going lol.

So now both of the Twins are Godkillers.

I'm glad Matt (very transparently) took that down a very truncated path. I was afraid we'd be in for another two episodes of Vex's last minute ascension.

I was preparing myself for Matt to end the episode right after saying "There is hope"

That would have been terrible

I'm glad that he made it very clear that the group has to be quick in their side adventures because time actually has meaning now

That means we're in the final two or three episodes, and that shit is going to start having consequences.

.JayZii

Banned
Well that was brisk. But good.

Laura looked like she was about to cry when Marisha spoke up during that scene. Those Grey Hunt meditation sessions should be easy peasy from now on.
Man... Keyleth getting shut down by Pelor kinda made me genuinely feel bad for her. Marisha was trying to flex her acting chops and I don't think it went the way she thought it was going lol.
Considering what her staff is and her whole nature situation, I would think Keyleth would know when her turn was up. Oh well, that sun tree bromance goes deep.

I'm glad that he made it very clear that the group has to be quick in their side adventures because time actually has meaning now

That means we're in the final two or three episodes, and that shit is going to start having consequences.

That's a huge assumption. There could still be months left.

The newest episodes always get uploaded the Monday following it's live play. So last night's ep will be on YT on Monday, usually aroung 9am-10am US Pacific. These episodes are unlisted as they want people to go to the Geek and Sundry website. That link takes you straight to the Critical Role page on the site, which updates when the YT vid is available. From there, just click the videos title to bring it up on the YT website.

The playlist listed above does appear to include the unlisted episodes but I'm not familiar with how timely he adds those to the list, so it's good to keep the website bookemarked just in case.

That's a huge assumption. There could still be months left.

Matt said it was the final arc. That's not gonna take months. We've got this week, which will probably be Ayune, then SDCC week is off (unless they do a live show), then one more week in July. I call this ending before my birthday on the 18th.

Matt did say they (Vox) needed to start wrapping stuff up.

.JayZii

Banned
Matt said it was the final arc. That's not gonna take months. We've got this week, which will probably be Ayune, then SDCC week is off (unless they do a live show), then one more week in July. I call this ending before my birthday on the 18th.

The Chroma Conclave arc took a year.

My money's on another 2-3 months. I feel like the final battle won't just be a one episode fight. They'll have cleanup.

He also told them there's a very real time limit.

*Spoilers for Ep 104*

And I feel like he very specifically used the sand timers in last nights episode to impress upon the party the very real risk that taking too long to address this will negatively effect them. The impression I'm getting is the longer they delay, the stronger Vecna becomes including the possibility of ascending fully to Godhood, at which point they're definitely going to die.

I seriously doubt there's 2 to 3 months left in the arc. It seems like he's specifically avoiding the Chroma-conclave time sink. That arc was structured specifically to encourage side questing. This one structured the complete opposite.

So? Final arc doesn't mean short, just means the final arc. It can take as long or as short as it needs to dependent on what they do during play.

.JayZii

Banned
He also told them there's a very real time limit.

*Spoilers for Ep 104*

And I feel like he very specifically used the sand timers in last nights episode to impress upon the party the very real risk that taking too long to address this will negatively effect them. The impression I'm getting is the longer they delay, the stronger Vecna becomes including the possibility of ascending fully to Godhood, at which point they're definitely going to die.

I seriously doubt there's 2 to 3 months left in the arc. It seems like he's specifically avoiding the Chroma-conclave time sink. That arc was structured specifically to encourage side questing. This one structured the complete opposite.
We'll have to check back in in 3 episodes and see where we're at, I guess.

Not Critical Role related but it actually kinda is:

I am really enjoying Shield of Tomorrow. The one thing I dislike about CR is that it is a big timesink to get into and started mid campaign (And it is in DnD 5e and I am a 13th Age guy).

Shield of Tomorrow is using what seems to be an elegant but exciting system with lots of modern RPG mechanics, it's starting from the ground up, the cast are an adorable bunch of Trekkie nerds and I also really love the license.

If CR does end soon and we get a new Mercer campaign (get him in a room to plot a campaign with Matt Colville!) I hope I will enjoy it as much as I am enjoying SoT.

Famassu

I feel like they do want to get this wrapped up ASAP but I'm not sure if they can do it in 3-5 episodes. 3-5 sounds like they'd be fighting Vechna (Vecna? Vek(h)na?) within a couple of episodes which sound a bit too fast to how slowly D&D stuff usually advances if there's even a little bit of freedom & possibility to wander. I mean, they just spend one episode with just talking to two gods. 7-9 sounds more realistic. I feel they'll take a couple of episodes finding the way to seal Vechna and I could see one or two more good gods met, then maybe an episode or two of more preparations (maybe gather some allies and make plans) and then maybe they'll start the offensive that'll take 2-3 episodes (maybe one episode just getting to him and then a second one fighting him) and then maybe an episode or max two of aftermath and tying loose ends, letting them have their final moments and say goodbye in-character and to their own characters.

Of course they could also take 20 episodes even if it only takes, like, a week in-game if they have lots of episodes like last week's one. Them taking 20 episodes wouldn't have to mean they dilly dally around the world for weeks/months in-game, could still be just 5-7 days, which could be within the realm of the Vechna-isn't-yet-an-unbeatable-god time limit.

Brashnir

I feel like they do want to get this wrapped up ASAP but I'm not sure if they can do it in 3-5 episodes. 3-5 sounds like they'd be fighting Vechna (Vecna? Vek(h)na?) within a couple of episodes which sound a bit too fast to how slowly D&D stuff usually advances if there's even a little bit of freedom & possibility to wander. I mean, they just spend one episode with just talking to two gods. 7-9 sounds more realistic. I feel they'll take a couple of episodes finding the way to seal Vechna and I could see one or two more good gods met, then maybe an episode or two of more preparations (maybe gather some allies and make plans) and then maybe they'll start the offensive that'll take 2-3 episodes (maybe one episode just getting to him and then a second one fighting him) and then maybe an episode or max two of aftermath and tying loose ends, letting them have their final moments and say goodbye in-character and to their own characters.

Of course they could also take 20 episodes even if it only takes, like, a week in-game if they have lots of episodes like last week's one. Them taking 20 episodes wouldn't have to mean they dilly dally around the world for weeks/months in-game, could still be just 5-7 days, which could be within the realm of the Vechna-isn't-yet-an-unbeatable-god time limit.

It's spelled Vecna.

And I'm with you on the length. Vax and Percy could spend 2-3 episodes worth of time just brooding and being all grimdark.

Pilgrimzero

Not Critical Role related but it actually kinda is:

I am really enjoying Shield of Tomorrow. The one thing I dislike about CR is that it is a big timesink to get into and started mid campaign (And it is in DnD 5e and I am a 13th Age guy).

Shield of Tomorrow is using what seems to be an elegant but exciting system with lots of modern RPG mechanics, it's starting from the ground up, the cast are an adorable bunch of Trekkie nerds and I also really love the license.

If CR does end soon and we get a new Mercer campaign (get him in a room to plot a campaign with Matt Colville!) I hope I will enjoy it as much as I am enjoying SoT.

I struggled through he 1st episode. And man is it obvious it's a Star Trek game for Trek fans. Like when the GM described the holographic doctor (same as from Voyager) and they all lit up with joy. If they ran across Picard or Spock they'd probably orgasm.

Even had a "remember that alien from season 3 episode 7?" "Oh yeah!".

I think it would be hard for a non Trek fan to get into.

Also really needed more stuff to happen. It was 3 hours of them all talking to each other as their characters. Give me a damn phaser battle or something. The end of the 3 hour episode was them finally going on a mission.

I'm going to give it about 3 episodes and see how it goes.

Famassu

Yeah, about 90% of what I'm currently watching is Geek & Sundry stuff, lol. I mean, 3-5 hours of Critical Role a week is already a pretty significant chunk of what I'll watch over the week. Possible TableTop, Escape & other programs are just cherry on top.

Kind of in a slump as far as more traditional TV stuff goes. Haven't watched much else but Brooklyn Nine Nine this whole Spring/Summer. Still need to catch up on Agents of SHIELD S4 and start a lot of series like Westworld, American Gods & Twin Peaks S3. :S

It's spelled Vecna.
Ok, thanks. It just often sounds like they add that H in the middle there. :p

Yeah, about 90% of what I'm currently watching is Geek & Sundry stuff, lol. I mean, 3-5 hours of Critical Role a week is already a pretty significant chunk of what I'll watch over the week. Possible TableTop, Escape & other programs are just cherry on top.

Kind of in a slump as far as more traditional TV stuff goes. Haven't watched much else but Brooklyn Nine Nine this whole Spring/Summer. Still need to catch up on Agents of SHIELD S4 and start a lot of series like Westworld, American Gods & Twin Peaks S3. :S

Ok, thanks. It just often sounds like they add that H in the middle there. :p

It's an anagram of the name Vance, the guy it's named after. Also created the vancian magic system that D&D and so many other rpg's use.

Next time on Critical Role, the second half of hasted Vax's turn.

"And that's the end of my turn."
"No, you have action, action, action, action, action.

Sam's still the best.

Razzer

What is marisha talking about?

#drama time

Sprigg saved the interaction though lmao
She's upset over the fact vax is gonna be gone after this. Sprigg is the embodiment of the future she sees for herself as the only member of vox machina left alive, whether through adventure death or old age. That's what it seems at least.

Soon

DEtu1KPVwAAbDoe.jpg

Top Bottom