• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critically acclaimed games that just do not click for you?

Li Kao

Monster Hunter. I just started MH4 Ultimate a few days ago but fuck if this thing does nothing for me, and that annoys me. After several attempts at the series I think I get it now, but it's just so slowly paced, basic story there isn't and the world building is laughable.
Yeah I know people don't play the games for the story, but a little bit of it would have been nice.

I get the slow combats, the systems seem interesting, I should like it but at the end of the day I'm bored when playing and have no desire to pick the game again when finishing a session.

I will have to try the other hunting games available, the genre is particularly broad. But yeah, not liking MH annoys me.

impact

Banned
Monster Hunter. I just started MH4 Ultimate a few days ago but fuck if this thing does nothing for me, and that annoys me. After several attempts at the series I think I get it now, but it's just so slowly paced, basic story there isn't and the world building is laughable.
Yeah I know people don't play the games for the story, but a little bit of it would have been nice.

I get the slow combats, the systems seem interesting, I should like it but at the end of the day I'm bored when playing and have no desire to pick the game again when finishing a session.

I will have to try the other hunting games available, the genre is particularly broad. But yeah, not liking MH annoys me.

Hunting games aren't for you if you're complaining about this.

maybe God Eater, but the gameplay is so bad I couldn't recommend it. Monster Hunter is the only one worth a damn.

Li Kao

Hunting games aren't for you if you're complaining about this.

As I said the genre is broad enough for me to doubt that. Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice have a semblant of plot. Not sure about Freedom Wars though.

Edit -
To be clear I think my problem is more with what is there plot wise and less with what isn't there. I mean I can launch the game and put myself in the mindset that the whole thing is about hunting and upgrading my stuff, but then don't waste my time with bland NPCs. The caravaneer makes me roll my eyes so hard every time.

The Argus

I just cannot get into any of the Ratchet and Clank games. My buddy lent me the new one and I was instantly bored. Tried to muscle on through it but it just never clicks.

EhoaVash

witcher 3, fallout 4, mass effect series ~ any pretty much a lot of rpgs aside from soul series

too many loot, too much shit in the inventory that idk what to do with, not to mention the dialog sound super dry in these games, and game play isn't really fun to me in these open world/ shooting rpgs.

KingBroly

Banned
The Last of Us - I thought the controls were just clunky (I think this is a Naughty Dog problem in general, and stems to Uncharted as well) and really got in the way. The design also just felt extremely narrow to the point where it felt like if I didn't play the game the developers wanted me to, I'd be fucked over.

Another vote for The Witcher 3.

I played over 30 hours of it but I just couldn't keep myself interested in it. I basically just stopped caring about the story and the world itself. I don't think it is a bad game it just wasn't as enjoyable for me as I was hoping. I know they have patched and fixed some stuff since I played so I should give it another go...but we shall see.

Georome

Oh, I also just remembered how much I hated Super Mario Galaxy. It got rave reviews but I could not get into it. I felt like I was fighting the camera and control scheme the entire time I was playing the game.

Same with me. I tried several times, but I just didn't like Galaxy. Loved Mario 64, love Super Mario 3D World.

Every single incarnation of Smash Bros. for me. I absolutely despise every minute of time I've put towards trying to enjoy the game. I get a kick out of the fan service I see from other people and online regarding the game, but I hate playing it.

I'd never try to talk anyone out of enjoying it, because I know it's something people like. It just does not jive with me.

Raptor

Half Life 2

When you grab something it floats in front of you, the fuck kinda this is that? do Gordon has telekinesis?

Also there aint no feet or hands, nothing, it was a flaoting camera with no voice nothing.

game is straight up garbage.

kromeo

Any of the kingdom hearts games, really don't see the appeal outside of getting a nostalgia kick from the old Disney movies... the orginal characters look like they were designed by nickelodeon

I've tried but I just can't get into any open world games, I just prefer following a focused story to endlessly running around empty copy paste fields/hills/woods

KingJ2002

God of War

played the remaster and yeah... it felt like a poor man's Devil May Cry

& GTA V

big sandbox titles fail to hold me. Im still determined to beat the game... but i haven't made any strides.

The Uncharted series.
I've literally forced my game to play the three of them, but I just didn't get what was so great about them.

The Last of Us too.

(And it's not the genre. I love the rebooted Tomb Raider games)

Zeneric

Counter-Strike Go.
Games after the SNES Zelda game (liked OoT tho).
Binary Domain (didn't click till near the end of the game. It was over when I started enjoying it).
Lost Odyssey (loved the Final Fantasy series - from 4 to 9. The guy who made this game created the FF franchise. And the guy who composed this game also composed the FF franchise. Dunno why - this game felt bland, dull, and no passion. Maybe it gets better later on in the game. Stopped at around 5-6 hours. A Thousand Years of Dreams were awesome tho).
The first Witcher game (Stopped at around 8-10 hours. Very boring. Too much boring dialogues. Maybe it gets better. Maybe the sequels are better. Dunno. Will come back to it later).
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Caused me to not care for the sequels after it).

Top Bottom