• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critically-acclaimed movies you just don't get

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

I just watched Moneyball, and I found it really quite dull. Admittedly, I don't know baseball at all (the term "he gets on base" confused me) but there was no dramatic tension for me. I didn't care if his team won or not. The script was pretty smart, and the acting was decent, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again.

Slumdog Millionaire was another one, I just don't get the hype and adulation for that movie. I found it incredibly contrived, mawkish and manipulative. There was some nice visuals, always a Boyle strong point, and the music was decent, but I just sat there after the movie thinking "That's what all the fuss was about"?

I found the LotR Trilogy boring too. Every character spoke with such gravitas, like what they were saying was the most important statement in the world. And again, I struggled to care about what happens. I never read the books, so I have no frame of reference, but I just don't understand the adulation.

Are there any movies that received almost universal plaudits that you just don't like?

Lamel

Banned
Mulholland Drive.

Apart from the lesbian sex

I found the LotR Trilogy boring too. Every character spoke with such gravitas, like what they were saying was the most important statement in the world. And again, I struggled to care about what happens. I never read the books, so I have no frame of reference, but I just don't understand the adulation.

tumblr_l7uu95rd1u1qa9913o1_500.gif

The problem is that you seem to have terrible taste. :(

Calling LotR boring and backing it up with a criticism of every line of dialogue reeking of self-importance leads me to believe you never actually watched the trilogy, but perhaps watched a few trailers or walked past the television while the movies were on. Either that or you fail to grasp the milieu that those characters inhabited.

BHK3

Banned
Slumdog Millionaire was another one, I just don't get the hype and adulation for that movie. I found it incredibly contrived, mawkish and manipulative. There was some nice visuals, always a Boyle strong point, and the music was decent, but I just sat there after the movie thinking "That's what all the fuss was about"?

Movie absolutely bored me, then again I don't enjoy movies where it's just nothing but people being exploited and people doing the most craziest shit to each other for money or fame or something.

Like that scene where the guy pours hot iron or something into the kids eyes so he can be blind cause blind singers make more money. WTF??????? Also I find the premise of the movie being about winning a million dollars to be incredibly stupid. Oh look a crowd of people are attacking some people washing their clothes cause they worship something different or idgaf fuck this movie I had to watch it twice in school and I couldnt sleep through it.

AAequal

Banned
Wes Anderson movies. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou was good but other then that his movies aren't really for me.

edit. I will throw into Terrence Malick too. His movies are hit or miss with me. Thin Red Line is one of my all time favorites but his other films just don't do anything for me. Given that I can appreciate visual aesthetics of his films, they always look so dam good.

MIMIC

Banned
I just watch Moneyball, and I found it really quite dull. Admittedly, I don't know baseball at all (the term "he gets on base" confused me) but there was no dramatic tension for me. I didn't care if his team won or not. The script was pretty smart, and the acting was decent, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again.

Are there any movies that received almost universal plaudits that you just don't like?

I'm with you on Moneyball.

Slumdog Millionaire? I loved that shit.

LOTR? You are dead to me.

Lamel

Banned
Movie absolutely bored me, then again I don't enjoy movies where it's just nothing but people being exploited and people do the most craziest shit to each other for money or fame or something.

Like that scene where the guy pours hot iron or something into the kids eyes so he can be blind cause blind singers make more money. WTF??????? Also I find the premise of the movie being about winning a million dollars to be incredibly stupid.

What you spoiler'd. That was probably the least important aspect of the entire movie and you missed the whole point. The game show was just a plot device used to tell the story.

NinjaBoiX

The problem is that you seem to have terrible taste. :(

Calling LotR boring and backing it up with a criticism of every line of dialogue reeking of self-importance leads me to believe you never actually watched the trilogy, but perhaps watched a few trailers or walked past the television while the movies were on. Either that or you fail to grasp the milieu that those characters inhabited.
Ah, Scullibundo, tactful as ever I see. Maybe I just didn't like them? Opinions dude.

Also, why would I pass judgement on a movie I haven't even watched? Come on man.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Star Wars

Back to the future

Ghost Busters

LOTR, some of the cg/makeup for the orcs/goblins etc is hilariously bad, much of the dialogue/acting was laugh out loud bad in the theater as well. HErpaderp you have my axe. No shit.

Avatar (this one the most, thought it was dogshit covered in 100$ bills)

Also basically any franchise old nerds get excited about then flip out when people under 30 don't get why they like badly acted 80s movies.

rekameohs

Banned
Moneyball was awesome in so much as I got reminded of watching baseball in my teens in the early 2000s and seeing all those names again was nostalgic.

Lamel

Banned
Other movies I thought were shit:

The God Father 1+2
The Dark Knight
Gattaca
Alien
The Lion King

- J - D -

Mulholland Drive.

Apart from the lesbian sex

That's too bad. I love Mulholland Drive. I think your enjoyment of this film hedges on how much you appreciate ambiance, dream-like surrealism and mystery over the actual plot. I loved piecing together the parts like a puzzle.

mollipen

Magnolia. One of the only movies I've seen in my life where I would actually have walked out had I not been with somebody else.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Agree with the dogshit part but we're talking critically acclaimed movies here ..

It was nominated for best picture.

Forgot to mention.

Pixar movies especially toy story. Just not into them, can understand why they are good for kids movies, but eh. Actually Disney as a whole as well, maybe I'm weird but the only kids movies I even liked as a kid were half of Lion King and the laughably bad pokemon movies.

dafinezt

Banned
Blade Runner.

I've seen it about three times. It's not bad, but it doesn't really interest me. Except for the music, which is fucking awesome I'll admit.

NinjaBoiX

Also, the Deer Hunter. Seriously? The first hour is some dull wedding, and the infamous Russian roulette scene is simply irritating.

Lamel

Banned
It was nominated for best picture.

Forgot to mention.

Pixar movies especially toy story. Just not into them, can understand why they are good for kids movies, but eh. Actually Disney as a whole as well, maybe I'm weird but the only kids movies I even liked as a kid were half of Lion King and the laughably bad pokemon movies.

bailouthf9e.gif

NinjaBoiX

Magnolia. One of the only movies I've seen in my life where I would actually have walked out had I not been with somebody else.
Oh, I love Magnolia. It's incredibly long, and maybe a little pretentious, but that movie is some powerful stuff.

Eternal Sunshine is the big one for me. I didn't find either of the main characters empathic (she seemed annoying to me, he seemed like a moron) and I just didn't care whether or not Jim Carrey accomplished his goal. I thought the chemistry between Wilkinson and Dunst seemed far more interesting and I kept wanting them to explore those characters more. The film had a great idea behind it, but it was just ruined for me due to me disliking the characters.

Pretty much. The story was boring, the characters flat and the whole thing just felt lifeless to me. I felt that a lot of the novelty for some people just came in the form of "hey, an Indian film!" but I felt like even Darjeeling Limited excelled much more at this than Slumdog did. It wasn't awful, just completely unimpressive especially considering the talent behind it.

Terrence Malick's entire oeuvre
Lawrence of Arabia
Many of Ingmar Bergman's films
Scarface
No Country for Old Men (I absolutely adore the rest of the Coen brothers' body of work)

Dany

Banned
Thin Red Line.

Only malick film I fell asleep too.

EDIT: this thread sucks, too many good films are on some people's list.

NinjaBoiX

Probably the best movie of 2011.

Also, try to back up your opinions when calling a movie "shit".
What? You just called it "The best Movie of 2011" without backing it up. It works both ways.

In fact, he said it was "boring and forgettable". That's plenty good enough for an Internet forum. What's your excuse?

fritolay

Star Wars

Back to the future

Ghost Busters

LOTR, some of the cg/makeup for the orcs/goblins etc is hilariously bad, much of the dialogue/acting was laugh out loud bad in the theater as well. HErpaderp you have my axe. No shit.

Avatar (this one the most, thought it was dogshit covered in 100$ bills)

Also basically any franchise old nerds get excited about then flip out when people under 30 don't get why they like badly acted 80s movies.

You are not smart then.

way more

enter-the-void.jpg

Enter the Void.

Simply annoying. I can't stand any movie where the lead character is a burned out idiot that talks like this, "woah, man, I"m like dead, that's like crazy man. Woah, so crazy and shit man. "

I have to agree with the OP on most points,

Although I loved Moneyball, then again I don't watch films to be entertained every second.

When it comes to dramas, I usually watch to get something out of them, something that the main character goes through, the choices he has to make that may resonate with my own life. (also see any given Episode of Mad Men)

I hate baseball, I couldn't even tell you when was the last time I watched a game of baseball more than 2 innings worth. But I loved Moneyball, simply because it was a well acted and written story about a man against the ropes, with all the odds against him, that had to go with his gut instinct to rebuild a life and give purpose to the people who depended on him (his team/franchise).

The movie might've been "boring" to some, sure, but the story was great, more importantly it was a believable story about any man that is struggling to hold on to a purpose in a contemporary world.

Also, was Mulholland Drive even critically-acclaimed? Kind of a strange film to discuss regarding this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom