• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cronenberg on TDKR: Batman running around in a stupid cape, for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/cosmopolis-director-gives-dark-knight-rises-bad-review-181827382.html

Count out one fan of "The Dark Knight Rises." The indie filmmaker David Cronenberg slammed supporters of the movie who call the blockbuster art, saying," I don't think they know what the f--k they're talking about."

The director was speaking to MTV to promote his new film, "Cosmopolis," starring "Twilight" heartthrob Robert Pattinson as a young billionaire whose rarefied world unravels in just one day.

Cronenberg's scathing words were picked up by the Hollywood Reporter and have been catching buzz.

In the interview, the filmmaker, who did direct a movie based on a graphic novel, "A History of Violence," elaborated on his opinion of the caped crusader.

"I don't think they are making them an elevated art form. I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape. I just don't think it's elevated. (Director) Christopher Nolan's best movie is 'Memento,' and that is an interesting movie. I don't think his Batman movies are half as interesting though they're 20 million times the expense."

For his part, Cronenberg did acknowledge that he respected Nolan's mastery of IMAX technology, calling it "really tricky and difficult to do." But he added that the movie was "boring." "A superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core."

But perhaps the director would be fine channeling his inner adolescent. He admitted, "As an actor, I would play Batman."

Lawl

Gray Man

Banned
"A superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core."

batmandkr.jpg

Yeah Batman.. for kids!

eh.

I think the films do go above and beyond the "adolescent" source material, but I agree, in the end it's still fluff. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Bleepey

From the guy who directed the adaptation of the comic book A history of violence. Also the book was better cunt. Clueless cunt. Comic books being just for kids... I swear....

Gray Man

Banned
Batman has plenty potential to be dark, mature, and serious. Batman also has been more adolescent in the past.

People are weird.

Credo

And how do you make it less boring? Drop Batman's utility belt and have him shoot batarangs out of a vagina-like shape that emerges from his abs.

I have to say that I somewhat agree with TDKR critique. Biggest letdown of the year.

The only statement I have an issue with is this:

...it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core

Zaph

I don't think he's slamming the movie at all, just those who call it high-budget art house - like Mark Kermode did in his review.

He has a point. It's like when people say a video game has a great story. Yeah it does have a great story - for a game. The Dark Knight Rises is a great comic book movie.

In unrelated news, Eastern Promises 2 has been cancelled. :(

I do have to admit, modern comics do try really, really hard to shake off the "for kids" stigma, though usually in a pretty transparent way.

He's not wrong.

Exactly. Although, I think Nolan did elevate it, but not on the intellectual/philosophical level. His films are just bigger events and carry broader appeal because they aren't as cartoony as previous comic book adaptations. They're more serious and watchable for those who have grown tired of strictly super-silly presentation and tone that defines a lot of comic book films.

"it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core."

250px-Histvio.jpg

The film is loosely based on the original graphic novel. Screenwriter Josh Olson intended from the very beginning to use the original story as a springboard to explore the themes that interested him, and Cronenberg admitted that he did not know the screenplay was an adapted work until he began discussing Olson's second draft.

i don't know if this helps or hurts his case. haven't seen TDKR. love cronenberg.

EliCash

I wouldn't say by definition they're for kids, that's a pretty ignorant thing to say. He's not really wrong though apart from that. I wouldn't say I found DKR boring, but I get where he's coming from. He's right about Memento, and I've about had it with superhero blockbusters too.

thabiz

He probably knows better, though. He does indie films.

Naked Lunch, Eastern Promises, Dead Ringers. Shit all over the Batman films. You could also throw The Fly and Videodrome in there too.

I am torn on his comment though. If you put the nolan films against his, yes they are cartoony action films, meant for the younger set. I doubt i would take a kid to see them. i would say 12 and up.

No matter how well they may be made, they still are fundamentally about some person running around in spandex with fictional super-powers. That is just childhood fantasy and not a feasible part of reality. For long-time adults, it can be very difficult to enjoy such things because you just can't get into the suspension of disbelief.

Really good fiction needs to be realistic enough to be plausible but not realistic enough to be boring.

apana

I thought TDKR was mediocre but the first two were amazing films, not just amazing Batman films. There are some scenes I will never forget.

I wonder what his opinion on Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars are.

btw, Cronenberg is the fucking man, I don't care what anybody says.

jerry1594

No matter how well they may be made, they still are fundamentally about some person running around in spandex with fictional super-powers. That is just childhood fantasy and not a feasible part of reality. For long-time adults, it can be very difficult to enjoy such things because you just can't get into the suspension of disbelief.

Really good fiction needs to be realistic enough to be plausible but not realistic enough to be boring.

Or maybe an active imagination. His movies have dudes growing cancer guns, typewriters that grow boners and Jeff Goldblum turning into a giant fly.

Stet

Banned

Nobel Prize winners Albert Camus, Samuel Beckett, Toni Morrison and Kenzaburo Oe and Booker Prize winners Salman Rushdie, Arundhati Roy, Margaret Atwood and Yann Martel would disagree.

Eidan

He comes off as a pretentious twat. Who gives a shit what people consider to be "art"? I honestly hate that entire debate.

6a013487299913970c015391b50e32970b-800wi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom