• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Fit Gaf.. Why should I pay $200 a month for CrossFit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Continued from fitness thread..

Seems a little high for a gym that from my understanding had no showers or towel service.
I get it.. Licensing fees are high but I shouldn't have to pay for that

Menelaus

Banned
You can run around your backyard, hyperextending and bounce-lifting for free. The only thing you won't have is some fluffy 40 year old soccer moms grunting their asses off next to you.

Menelaus

Banned
Seriously, though, just use that money towards better nutrition/supplements and do your own thing for working out.

kylej

Banned
It's overpriced, dangerous nonsense conceived by a fat drunk. Do Starting Strength at a regular gym instead.

Shadybiz

$200/month is insane. Yeah, just do P90x, Insanity, or just be really dedicated about going to your $30/month gym and hitting the weights.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I always wondered if it was in the contract that if you joined crossfit you had to post about it on facebook every 10 minutes

is it really 200$ a month? I think the ones around here arent that much

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I always wondered if it was in the contract that if you joined crossfit you had to post about it on facebook every 10 minutes

I'm in NYC - haven't found one less than $200 - checked about 5 affiliates

blackflag

I agree, if you just want to get fit and not strong, cuz crossfit programming isn't designed for strength, I've seen a lot of people get in shape with p90x and insanity.

I have a friend that attends 3 times a week for the past year. He's lost 45 lbs, brought his wife in, and they're having a blast. He's flat out said that it's a cult, but it works for him. He's even asked me to attend, but always respects when I say "it seems a little pricey, but maybe one day I'll give it a shot."

I've got kids and he doesn't, so there's that, too.

Either way, if you're curious then give it a shot, but don't be afraid to leave if it's not for you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Do you enjoy joint replacement surgery? How about not actually learning the mechanics of complex and dangerous Olympic lifts that are intended to be done carefully with an absolute emphasis on technique, and instead being encouraged to do them as fast as you can with no regard for technique as long as the bar gets to vaguely the correct spot?

Does the prospect of this, and the encompanying indoctrination of Crossfit being the be all end all of fitness development, from Crossfit trainers who have spent hundreds of seconds earning their certification, all for the low low sum of an outrageously abhorrent amount of money per month that could be spent on twofold or more of legitimate training, get you hot and bothered?

Then you know what you have to do.

Chichikov

I suggest you go and check the place out. If you see anything like this than get the fuck out before you hurt yourself.

Crossfit: Not Even Once
Mixed grip cleans is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

p.s.
Never worked in crossfit, know some people who do and I've seen them work out, the program itself seem reasonable (miles ahead of junk like p90x), the main problem I have with it that they're dogmatic as shit and that they're trainers seem to be on average quite uninformed.
They also seem to attract a whole lot of douchebags (though obviously that doesn't mean that everyone who crossfit is a douchebag, far from it, but I don't know, I think I was the only person not wearing a bandana there).

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Do you enjoy joint replacement surgery? How about not actually learning the mechanics of complex and dangerous Olympic lifts that are intended to be done carefully with an absolute emphasis on technique, and instead being encouraged to do them as fast as you can with no regard for technique as long as the bar gets to vaguely the correct spot?

Does the prospect of this, and the encompanying indoctrination of Crossfit being the be all end all of fitness development, from Crossfit trainers who have spent hundreds of seconds earning their certification, all for the low low sum of an outrageously abhorrent amount of money per month that could be spent on twofold or more of legitimate training, get you hot and bothered?

Haha - you've matured as a writer!

KingGondo

Banned
http://gawker.com/5928989/the-problems-with-crossfit

314x314px-LL-375a6e39_TooBO.gif

Just do P90X or Insanity. It also helps that GAF has an awesome Beachbody thread that will help you along.

Buy P90X and start working out with friends/spouse. Look at free programs online and try to put in an hour or so 3 times a week. There are LOTS of alternatives to Crossfit, and if anyone tells you otherwise they're lying. Or just flat out on the take.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Jesus... just priced the local one here in Alabama, and here are the membership prices:

12 Month - $129.95*
6 Month - $139.95*
3 Month - $149.95*
1 Month - $174.95*

*Price per month

entremet

It's group fitness and part of the reason it's so expensive is due to group workouts lead by a trainer. You also learn skill work, all under guidance of a certified trainer.

I'm not a crossfitter, but I know many, but that and the camaderie and group dynamics is what helps a lot of people stick to it.

Crossfit has problems, but I give it credit for invigorating interest in Weight lifting and Olympic lifting. It's also introducing GPP to the general populace.

Crossfit gyms vary in quality wildly, however.

TheExodu5

Banned
Crossfit gets a lot of shit here. Just because some people do as many reps as possible with terrible form, does not mean every Crossfiter does. It's not a program that demands that you subscribe to poor practice. You can join Crossfit and not be an ass, believe it or not.

I've never done Crossfit, but having looked at several gyms, they have the best gyms around if you're going for free weights. Large, open warehouses with tons of barbells, dumbbells, and calisthenic equipment. Even if you're just doing Starting Strength I don't think you can do better than going to a Crossfit gym.

KingGondo

Banned
Jesus... just priced the local one here in Alabama, and here are the membership prices:

12 Month - $129.95*
6 Month - $139.95*
3 Month - $149.95*
1 Month - $174.95*

*Price per month
And that's the price in Confederate dollars! Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal from that perspective.

honestly man you can buy P90x 1, insanity, and p90x2 for less than 2 months membership would cost you.

I have all of those and rotate between them every day (after completing multiple full cycles of each of them, of course). Just buy P90x1 and give it a whirl. It's crossfit in your house, for less than 1 month of membership fee.

sangreal

Someone mad.

Huh? About what? They serve the same purpose -- high intensity cardio routines using a mixture of weights and bodyweight exercises rather than a traditional strength training/bodybuilding workout. P90X is cheaper, safer, and you can do it at home. I don't see how it is an out of place recomendation for the OP

Haha perfect.

I've done some of the Crossfit workouts but on my own, and after learning how to do form properly. I'm not a fan of being yelled at and practically forced to kill myself which is what most of the Crossfit gyms seem to do so I've never even entertained the idea of joining a crossfit gym. I will say that some of them seem pretty decent but it appears those are becoming harder to find as the gyms pop up all over the place these days. Plus it's too expensive.

Edit: I've also had a friend bust his ACL doing crossfit, just fyi, though that may be his own issue with going overboard and he could have as easily done it on his own in another fashion.

Slo

Crossfit takes a lot of shit on the internet, silly gifs of people flopping like fish and whatnot, and a lot of that is true sometimes. It's also cultish as all hell, and the people can be annoying, but for the most part it's worth it imo. What you're paying for is mostly the coaching. If your Crossfit gym offers certified and credible Oly lifting instructors, and hopefully some competent Kettlebell instructors too, then you'll get a lot of out of a membership. Without good coaching, CrossFit is not worth it.

A good coach will also spend a good amount of effort on fixing your mobility limitations. You know how when some people can do a movement and look like a natural athlete at it, while others can attempt the same movement and they look like a monkey fucking a football? A good percentage of that is flexibility and mobility. I sit in a cubicle all day, so I have flexibility issues that are different than people who are on their feet all day. I'm being coached through that, and it's making a big difference in my workouts.

To the responses that say "you can run around the block for free" or "I pay $20/month for AnyTime Fitness", you're absolutely right. A person can absolutely get in great physical condition without paying for CrossFit. People do it all the time, and if you are one of the people who can motivate yourself to bust your ass day in and day out all year round, then you don't need it. You'd probably love it if you're that guy, but you don't need it. However I'd say a much greater percentage of the people who take this approach fail. They make a new years resolution, go jogging exactly three times, and don't think of it again until the next new years. I would say that the percentage of people who make actual measureable and sustained improvements to their fitness level at a Crossfit gym is exponentially higher than a standard gym full of housewives. When you show up to a CrossFit gym, you're expected to do real work, and your coaches hold you accountable.

lunchtoast

If you want someone to tell you what to do, just do P90x or whatever. You can even join a mma/boxing gym which are probably cheaper.

Cheeto

Ok, I'm going to derail... but why the fuck is everyone suggesting P90x, insanity, and other dvd programs? How can they possibly be worth $200??? If you want to train like that, rig a pull-up bar, look up the basics of interval training on google, and go outside and sprint. I don't see the purpose of a $200 DVD set...

Mr_Zombie

Schattenjäger;56605228 said:
Continued from fitness thread..

Seems a little high for a gym that from my understanding had no showers or towel service.
I get it.. Licensing fees are high but I shouldn't have to pay for that

1) Find a professional trainer (certainly not a "CrossFit trainer", because most of them don't know shit) who will teach you techniques.
2) Sign in to a normal gym
3) Do trainings by yourself; if you really want to do crossfit trainings (they are fun, if you do them properly), there's a lot of workouts on the net that you can use

There's really no need to pay for a "licensed" crossfit training because... well, you saw the movies. It's not really worth it.

If your Crossfit gym offers certified and credible Oly lifting instructors, and hopefully some competent Kettlebell instructors too, then you'll get a lot of out of a membership. Without good coaching, CrossFit is not worth it.
The problem with certified crossfit trainers is that you can get a level 1 certificate and still know nothing about properly lifting weights. My friend, who is a personal trainer and was taught by a guy who trained our Olympic weight-lifters several years ago, met few certified crossfit trainers and was devastated by their techniques. Imagine doing a snatch with straight arms in front of you...

grumble

honestly man you can buy P90x 1, insanity, and p90x2 for less than 2 months membership would cost you.

I have all of those and rotate between them every day (after completing multiple full cycles of each of them, of course). Just buy P90x1 and give it a whirl. It's crossfit in your house, for less than 1 month of membership fee.

Well, to be fair a decent Crossfit gym is better than any of those home dvd workouts. They're great FOR home workouts, but they aren't generally as good as something that incorporates weighted barbell movements. I guess you could think of crossfit as being like P90X/insanity etc on steroids.

vidcons

Banned
it's no worse than any other terrible program aimed at nerds who want to Shed Pounds, Get Ripped Quick, and all only in just ONE HOUR A DAY. here is what you need to do to get in really good, proportional shape:

ride a bike
swim
little lifting, core work
yoga/pilates/stretching
eat good

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Well, to be fair Crossfit is better than any of those home dvd workouts. They're great FOR home workouts, but they aren't generally as good as something that incorporates weighted barbell movements. I guess you could think of crossfit as being like P90X/insanity etc on steroids.

Haha. I'd be willing to bet that someone who's a pro at P90X could kick the living shit out of someone who's a pro at Crossfit in most fitness areas. It's funny btw how every time I see someone attempting to "diss" P90X, you are there.

ToxicAdam

Ok, I'm going to derail... but why the fuck is everyone suggesting P90x, insanity, and other dvd programs? How can they possibly be worth $200??? If you want to train like that, rig a pull-up bar, look up the basics of interval training on google, and go outside and sprint. I don't see the purpose of a $200 DVD set...

Many people need a regimen dictated to them. Left to their own devices they get lost/discouraged.

Crossfit gets a lot of shit here. Just because some people do as many reps as possible with terrible form, does not mean every Crossfiter does. It's not a program that demands that you subscribe to poor practice. You can join Crossfit and not be an ass, believe it or not.

I've never done Crossfit, but having looked at several gyms, they have the best gyms around if you're going for free weights. Large, open warehouses with tons of barbells, dumbbells, and calisthenic equipment. Even if you're just doing Starting Strength I don't think you can do better than going to a Crossfit gym.

For $200 a month you should be getting something more than a warehouse full of equipment, and the trainers aren't going to show you the perfect form and have you correctly do it, either. The gif shown earlier is the perfect example of the problem with Crossfit

LuchaShaq

Banned
You are paying not for the knowledge or equipment or space, you are paying so you have a reason to force yourself through the program.

I knew a girl who all of a sudden was a crossfit trainer. Just out of nowhere. Took a weekend or something training course.

I wouldn't have trusted her with a spoon and now she's telling people to put weights above their heads.

Edit: Just for exodus: not saying it's exclusive to crossfit. Just a story I had ;)

TheExodu5

Banned
Just since people are so keen on bashing Crossfit trainers, I have news for you: a huge majority of personal trainers at any gym are shit and not properly qualified to train you. This is not exclusive to Crossfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom