• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Fit Gaf.. Why should I pay $200 a month for CrossFit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumble

Best things for the core are heavy good mornings, conventional squats and deadlifts, and weighted crunches. Power lifters have the strongest cores of most athletes and that's what they do.

Yeah. I remember that the highest bone density scan ever recorded was from the spine of an elite powerlifter. You get durable doing that stuff.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yes, there are good Crossfit gyms. They are good because they have informed owners and trainers, not because of the Crossfit branding they license or the associated certificates their trainers pay for or the official workout programs on the Crossfit website.

Crossfit is a bad idea, full stop. Why? Because it dictates that compound barbell movements are done for time. Nothing else needs to be said. Good trainers can ignore that, but if you're doing Crossfit as it is intended, you're inevitably compromising form to do more reps per minute, which is anathema to the powerlifting and Olympic lifting world.

Chichikov

Okay, so here's the problem I have:

Somebody's pullup bar breaks in their living room: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Somebody does a cartwheel and falls: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Some dipshit does some strange hip level front squat: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Montage of bad form deadlifts (some which do appear to be at crossfit gyms): LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT

Is "CrossFit" the new nickname for "being an asshole?"
Somebody post funny video of people doing stupid shit, and your first reaction is "OH SHIT, I MUST DEFEND THE HONOR OF CROSSFIT".

And I'm only sort of joking.

Slo

Somebody post funny video of people doing stupid shit, and your first reaction is "OH SHIT, I MUST DEFEND THE HONOR OF CROSSFIT".

And I'm only sort of joking.

Hahaha, alright. I'll back off.

CROSSFIT CROSSFIT CROSSFIT PUKE PUKE CROSSFIT RAAAAAAAWR

It does, very well even.

It would at a much higher weight load.

I've never done any squats in bosu balls, so I can't really comment if they work or not. What I've done is exercises that use stuff like med balls and swizz stability balls, and I've definitely felt that being out of balance engages the muscle in your body more and improves balance and range of motion.

Rhetorical question.

There's been a couple studied (obviously by no means conclusive) that doing movements on those balls have zero difference. There's no studies showing that they do.

entremet

Yes, there are good Crossfit gyms. They are good because they have informed owners and trainers, not because of the Crossfit branding they license or the associated certificates their trainers pay for or the official workout programs on the Crossfit website.

Crossfit is a bad idea, full stop. Why? Because it dictates that compound barbell movements are done for time. Nothing else needs to be said. Good trainers can ignore that, but if you're doing Crossfit as it is intended, you're inevitably compromising form to do more reps per minute, which is anathema to the powerlifting and Olympic lifting world.

Incidentally one of the world's most renowned mobility experts owns a Crossfit box--Kelly Starret.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/about

I do have the same gripes with Crossfit you have, though. Although a good box will have decent programming. And those who aren't stupid about progamming are more successful than the globo gyms, which tend to be terrible all around.

Reading this thread has informed me that you shouldn't look for the Nintendo Seal of Quality to dictate your purchase, rather, you should look at the developer.

.GqueB.

Banned
It CAN be worth it. For $200 a month, you're getting a trainer that will motivate you and make sure you're doing things correctly. Also, the sense of camaraderie that develops is pretty great as well and will motivate you to even show up and do better. I was making friends from day one.

But it REALLY depends on the gym. As people are saying here, you're learning some really complicated techniques that can hurt you if you aren't careful. At one gym I went to, two trainers had two completely different takes on how to even get the bar up which seemed odd to me.

People are saying use p90x but I think half the battle there is even getting up off your ass and doing it. I like gym memberships because I'm tons more motivated due to the fact that I'm paying money to be there. And having a gym partner can also be key and that happens pretty naturally in Crossfit gyms.

So in summary:

It depends.

mrbagdt

or you could focus on doing the lifts / movements for time with proper form... and if your form starts to be compromised... slow down...

i do see people in my gym who do what you are describing- trying to achieve the faster time with poor form. and while a coach may say to slow down and get the form right, its the persons choice in the end.

if you had the choice between doing higher reps with lower weight for time and doing lower reps with high weight with no time constraints, id prefer doing things for time. i think its a matter of preference.

Slo

I would agree with you if the weight used weren't variable. There's nothing wrong with doing compound barbell movements for time if it is done at a weight where form is maintainable.

Non CrossFit Example: Having two people race to do their 1 rep max bench press 10 times is stupid and dangerous. Having two people race to see who can do 100 perfect pushups the fastest is not stupid nor dangerous. The movement is identical.

The problem comes when people are using too heavy of weights and their form breaks down.

Cross fit is bullshit. Actual fitness comes from a routine, healthy workout that taxes the body just enough to maintain or gradually increase strength and cardiovascular health, and from eating right. Not from waggling ropes around like Omega Red from the X-Men.

Draft

AMRAP deadlifts for time is dumb. I don't care what your fitness goals are, that's a dumb exercise. Dumb dumb dumb.

Cleans, squats, and presses for time are almost as dumb.

Chichikov

There's been a couple studied (obviously by no means conclusive) that doing movements on those balls have zero difference. There's no studies showing that they do.
Honestly, I've never even understood how they're supposed to work.
Even light running requires significantly more work to keep your spine stabilized (the forces are just significantly higher, it's like basic newtonian physics) and it train them in a much more functional way (as I would assume most people do more running than standing on a ball).

I think those types exercises mostly work the ankles.

bjb

Banned
My friend that attends the University of Utah is into this. He swears by it. Lol.

Same. Except it's just to meet girls lol

In fact, I'll be really honest; the only reason I would ever join a crossfit center is to get laid. And even that isn't worth $200-300.

I do imagine these 'gyms' are loaded with females, though. More-so than a regular gym. Many of which are probably hilariously misguided in regards to exercise and looking to meet people as well. Such an easy icebreaker.

if you had the choice between doing higher reps with lower weight for time and doing lower reps with high weight with no time constraints, id prefer doing things for time. i think its a matter of preference.

The hell?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Honestly, I've never even understood how they're supposed to work.
Even light running requires significantly more work to keep your spine stabilized (the forces are just significantly higher, it's like basic newtonian physics) and it train them in a much more functional way (as I would assume most people do more running than standing on a ball).

I think those types exercises mostly work the ankles.

This is from an infomercial, but P90X2 is big on the destabilization theory. Check it if you have the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucbjjtWQ_c

Coldsnap

Programming is modified and scaled to the abilities of the individual. At least it should be.

Not from what I've seen. As a past olympic lifting, I use to train at crossfit gyms because they were the only place that have bumper plates. They just get thrown into groups of 5-7 and do the WOD.

Chichikov

This is from an infomercial, but P90X2 is big on the destabilization theory. Check it if you have the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucbjjtWQ_c
P90x as a whole built around an idea that, how shall I put it politely, is not exactly supported by science.
And generally, I try not to get my fitness education from infomercials (that is not to say everything in every infomercial is bullshit, but at the same time, their goal is to sell products, not report the truth).

Do you have a link to a study or something?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
P90x as a whole built around an idea that, how shall I put it politely, is not exactly supported by science.
And generally, I try not to get my fitness education from infomercials (that is not to say everything in every infomercial is bullshit, but at the same time, their goal is to sell products, not report the truth).

Do you have a link to a study or something?

Maybe you should try it sometime. Only then you'll find for sure if it works and makes a difference for you, instead of whatever an infomercial or study can tell you.

xptoxyz

Some of this discussion on instructors qualifications got me thinking. General question, where you live, do gym instructors legally need any formal training or higher education degree to do their jobs?

Chichikov

Maybe you should try it sometime. Only then you'll find for sure if it works and makes a difference for you, instead of whatever an infomercial or study can tell you.
I've done targeted abs exercise for years, then I stopped, and I literally didn't see any difference.

And more broadly, there are countless fitness systems and ideas out there, you got to apply some critical thinking in deciding which one to pursue.
It's still important to evaluate what you're doing, because we all get those things right from time to time, but before I change my routine I try to ask myself -
Why am I doing this?
What am I trying to get out of this?
What "holes" in my current program am is this going to plug?
And maybe most importantly, how do I evaluate the program's success?

Though generally, I kinda stay clear of programs that goes against my understanding of physiology.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

P90x can be effective and the concept of muscle confusion can also be complete bullshit. Not mutually exclusive.

Also, you just conflated informercial claims with scientific studies.

MjFrancis

I thought to myself, I wouldn't pay $200 for Crossfit, but I would pay a lot of money to go to a Westside Barbell style gym. Little did I know there are Westside Barbell affiliates!

http://www.westside-barbell.com/the_gym/westside-barbell-certified-gyms.html

The closest one for me is 1,000 miles away... so, maybe not for me.

If I could find a good Olympic barbell gym I'd go for a few months just to train in a group and make sure the finer point of my lifts are in check. If they happened to be a Crossfit affiliate, so be it. It's just unfortunate that the standards aren't there. Crossfit has been compared to a McDonald's or a Starbucks in terms of affiliation, but the comparisons stop there. I can't walk into just any Crossfit and assume I'll get the same experience as I would those franchises. That's a big hurdle that will hurt Crossfit in the long run.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
P90x can be effective and the concept of muscle confusion can also be complete bullshit. Not mutually exclusive.

Also, you just conflated informercial claims with scientific studies.

Nope, claiming what an infomercial is saying is 100% true is ridiculous. I linked the video just for a quick explanation and to see the moves in practice.

More than anything, I speak from my experience doing that program.

werks

Banned
Diss crossfit, promote bosu ball squats....

Not that crossfit doesn't have a lot of stupid shit going on, its just that bosu ball squats & most "destabilization" workouts are a even bigger joke.

"Muscle confusion" isn't bullshit though. If you do the same thing over and over again you stall/regress. That's why on every strength program you add weight.

Muscle confusion is not the same as proper programming. Muscle confusion is more akin to randomness for randomness's sake, which is not an efficient way to progress, particularly in terms of strength goals.

I've been on the same routine for almost a year and a half, doing essentially the same exercises. I make progress because of programming.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
$200 a month?

No man, no.

Use that to buy some weights, get a schedule from the Fitness thread, and get motivated.

blackflag

Diss crossfit, promote bosu ball squats....

Not that crossfit doesn't have a lot of stupid shit going on, its just that bosu ball squats & most "destabilization" workouts are a even bigger joke.

Bosu ball squats are just as stupid as crossfit. I don't think hardly anyone dissing crossfit would argue otherwise.

iddqd

One more voice here that advises you to not do it.
If you have money to spend and motivation issues, a good personal trainer will help you more on form and technique then 13 other sweaty people that have zero clue.

Sadly, just like most BJJ places, over priced and crowded at this point.

the amount of CF hate on neogaf is overwhelming and is why i largely ignore the fitness thread. its no different than the nutrition threads in that respect as well- everyone is an expert.

Is the hate undeserved though? What does medical science have to say about it?

Frostburn

I must be in the minority here but I went to a CrossFit gym here in Richmond VA for a week as a trial (for free) and the two coaches seemed to really know their stuff and focus on form. Everyone had their own weights and barbells so even though we were in small groups of 3-4 people we were not doing more weight then we should (They had a weight for each step for men and women but several people were doing less including myself since they weren't ready according to the coaches, they wanted us to focus on being able to maintain proper form). Everyone was very friendly, no one was pushy about joining right up.

Price is $100 a month and $175 per couple for unlimited classes which run twice a day Mon-Fri and 3 times on Saturdays. I haven't signed up yet but I really enjoyed it and feel like the 3 times I went that week I got some great informative advice on form and technique and had fun while doing it. For me that is what working out is all about, having fun. If it isn't fun I can't maintain a good workout schedule and like everything else BALANCE is key, some people go nuts and push themselves way too hard.

EDIT: I should add that I've been a member of a normal gym for over 2 years now and have been working out 3 times a week (At least) for over a year now. I also just finished up 6 weeks of personal training sessions and they have been great as well, even for learning some new stretches and using ship ropes effectively which for me is a great addition to my workout, I've build better breathing techniques and muscle endurance using the ropes and its a great time for me to focus on my athletic posture and get warmed up prior to lifting.

Chichikov

"Muscle confusion" isn't bullshit though. If you do the same thing over and over again you stall/regress. That's why on every strength program you add weight.
I have never read a serious study that support that concept.
Also, my own personal experience goes directly against it, my routine doesn't really change anymore, been like that for quite a while, and I don't have any of the issues that concept comes to solve.

Plus isn't p90x mostly targeted at untrained individuals?
I seriously doubt an untrained person would even have to worry about stalling in the first 90 days of their routine.

Chichikov

I've stalled on my bench. Usually I do flat BB, incline BB, flies, and dips. What can I do to de-stall?
Eat more.

If putting on muscles isn't an option, look into doing some deloading, I won't build you a program over the internet, I know nothing about you and your current routine, just make sure you're honest with yourself, deloading only is really necessary when you're a rather advanced lifter (no, I can't define that, but if you're not sure, you're probably aren't), try to make sure you're not using a mental block as an excuse to lower your intensity.
Stall as in you're mid-set and can't do shit, or plateaued - found you're not progressing anymore?
Great, now I have a mental image of him posting on GAF mid set.

GAF Help, I can't lock my elbows on my chest, please spot |OT|

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jason's very, very fond of his six pack. I don't think eating more is an option. Steroids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom