• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - 5 Years + $40M = ME Andromeda

tuxfool

Banned
Eh... RoyalFool is a Brexiter, so he is well acquainted with making stupid decisions and even more unverifiable dumb statements about said life choices.

Wait for the ex staff postmortem in a few weeks. I'm not making this shit up.

Yo, you don't make claims like that on gaf without being able to provide sources. Hell, even if you HAD sources on the lead coder, animator, and writer, to claim that this is all because they wanted diversity is more than a little fucked up and makes you sound like a bigot. Do you not get that?

Toxi

Banned
The new Knuckles the Echidna aliens look simultaneously ugly and generic. Like I have no idea what was the design direction they were trying to go for.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wait for the ex staff postmortem in a few weeks. I'm not making this shit up.
Literally the only fucking source for your bullshit claim is a gamergate website that lead claims that she slept with the dev team to work on the game to the mass harassment of a woman. FOH. And then you have the gall to think every issue with the game is because minorities and women were involved with the development? That's straight up stupid. How does your brain go from a to b in that equation?

Mahonay

Banned
This is what happens when you give diversity more importance than actual ability when hiring staff. It sounds like they hired folks who were completely out of their depth.

Lead coder hadn't coded for 3 years.
Facial animation lead was someone with zero experience with video games.
The writer was a known hack who wrote all the shit people complained about in the last game.

Why did it have to happen to this series, couldn't they have fucked up call of duty or something instead.
Why. Why did you have to post this.

To put it in perspective

sqnpjlu2u5loac38fa5y.gif

To be fair, her face is tired.

Lo_Fi

and they had 5 years to work on this???

Where are people getting this number? Just because there were 5 years between ME3 and Andromeda does not mean they worked on this game for 5 years. Have they confirmed that it was in development since immediately after ME3?

robotrock

Banned
This is what happens when you give diversity more importance than actual ability when hiring staff. It sounds like they hired folks who were completely out of their depth.

Lead coder hadn't coded for 3 years.
Facial animation lead was someone with zero experience with video games.
The writer was a known hack who wrote all the shit people complained about in the last game.

Why did it have to happen to this series, couldn't they have fucked up call of duty or something instead.

This is an evil post

Come one, even the folks who left are saying it was the case. Don't try blaming frostbite etc when it's pretty obvious a lot of the B team had never made a game before and were put into positions well above their ability due to positive discrimination.

You really need to provide proof of this exact bolded section. People can start off as rookies anywhere, even in videogames. There's AAA-production-level turmoil everywhere in the industry (hell, at every scale of project in the industry). What makes it single down to specifically positive discrimination putting who was in those roles where they were? What makes you think these people didn't hand in a resume that indicated they had the talent for the job? What makes you certain that the allegedly passed over candidates for the job wouldn't have run into the same exact series of issues, having not necessarily been prior BioWare? And if the allegedly passed-over team was a previous BioWare team, what makes you sure they weren't busy on another project that we don't know about?

It's clear Mass Effect Andromeda has an array of problems as an end-consumer product and I think few would ignore that... But c'mon, just zip right past a few other potential areas where things could have gotten complicated for the team in your posts (such as Frostbite engine), off-handedly suggest that some people that walked away from the project claimed their teammates were inexperienced instead of maybe just considering some people getting frustrated with other management/development struggles and badmouthing their teammates on the way out, and not at all providing a single point of documentation (just wait for the team post-mortem -- I'm not making this up -- he says!)...

I mean, put up with multiple angles to verify and I'll back off... But right now, you've got to realize you're basically just citing truth and not pointing to jack shit, right?

FoxSpirit

Wtf is that SHIT???? You turn this intro a culture/race issue????? You better back this up hard because all I am seeing is an animation department that failed to deliver despite their best promises.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ending fade out is fucking brutal.

Bioware should have never made a Sonic game. The second that blue rat gets into your business, you're done for.

Should have just made a full fledged MP game.
(and i just think the MP is ok)
I love the combat and planet exploring-but holy hell the story and characters are direct to dvd for sure.

Anung

Un Rama
I can't believe that the game even exists in this state. It's total amateur hour stuff. Even without the glitches just the way the characters look and animate are unacceptable. They're basically a few steps above telltale.

This game has such a crazy amount of quality I'm not even suprised EA managed to fudge it up.

Dear god, Andromeda continues to do nothing for me. It's really disturbing seeing Sara's face frozen with just her jaw and lips kinda syncing to dialogue. It wouldn't matter if it was more subtle, and the models weren't as detailed, but her the mouth/jaw combo moves so much, it creates a bizarre contrast. Even ME1 was quite good about avoiding things like that.

I could also overlook the above if the writing was there, but it's not clicking for me, either. Props to the VAs of Sara and Scott, I think they've done a good job making some clunky dialogue sound a lot more organic than it has any right to.

Come one, even the folks who left are saying it was the case. Don't try blaming frostbite etc when it's pretty obvious a lot of the B team had never made a game before and were put into positions well above their ability due to positive discrimination.

It's a shit situation for all involved, shame telling the truth in this case is giving people too many gamer gate flashbacks to admit it.

tenor.gif

J_Viper

I had to stop watch since it looks like there are some spoilers, but the first five or so minutes were already a riot

Top Bottom