• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - 5 Years + $40M = ME Andromeda

inky

This is what happens when you give diversity more importance than actual ability when hiring staff. It sounds like they hired folks who were completely out of their depth.

Lead coder hadn't coded for 3 years.
Facial animation lead was someone with zero experience with video games.
The writer was a known hack who wrote all the shit people complained about in the last game.

Why did it have to happen to this series, couldn't they have fucked up call of duty or something instead.

Sounds like made up nonsense. For a game to be as fucked up as this A LOT of people need to have fucked up and sometimes it isn't even people actually making the game.

Also, don't pull that shit in here. No need for witch hunts, I don't want this thread closed.

Dabanton

This is what happens when you give diversity more importance than actual ability when hiring staff. It sounds like they hired folks who were completely out of their depth.

The writer was a known hack who wrote all the shit people complained about in the last game.

Why did it have to happen to this series, couldn't they have fucked up call of duty or something instead.

Hope you have the receipts for these comments as people about to get in dat ass.

Come one, even the folks who left are saying it was the case. Don't try blaming frostbite etc when it's pretty obvious a lot of the B team had never made a game before and were put into positions well above their ability due to positive discrimination.

It's a shit situation for all involved

Link. Because well I vaguely remember the thead about it, I don't remember reaching that conclusion.

Toxi

Banned
Come one, even the folks who left are saying it was the case. Don't try blaming frostbite etc when it's pretty obvious a lot of the B team had never made a game before and were put into positions well above their ability due to positive discrimination.

It's a shit situation for all involved
I can now safely say that the Tali sweat post on the Bioware user forums is not the most embarrassing Mass Effect fanfiction on the internet. This post is. Congratulations on beating that record.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The best scenes aren't the glitches but the absolutely insane deadpan and lack of response from the main character to dramatic situations. I burst out laughing at the Ryder mom scene. I was spoiled and I don't give a duck. What a joke.

That was hilarious

This is a disgraceful post.

It's a shit situation for all involved, shame telling the truth in this case is giving people too many gamer gate flashbacks to admit it.
Where?

Magwik

Banned
The game is a result of a team who has never made a full game together, with their experience only being on Mass Effect DLC, being tasked with creating a new game, on a new engine, with a strict deadline. This is on EA, nobody else. It'd be like asking Certain Affinity to make Halo 6 because they made some Halo map packs before.

This engine sounds like a disaster all around. Don't know why they didn't move it to unreal 4. It'd be less of a work surely.

It's worked for everyone else, no? Battlefield, Battlefront, Mirror's Edge, and FIFA, at the very least. It sounds like there were other development issues.

Edit: Incredible, somebody has managed to somehow blame the game's issues on "SJWs". RoyalFool is living up to his name.

Peroroncino

If I wasn't playing the game right now and having fun, just watching this would easily make me think this is the biggest piece of shit game that has ever managed to be released, lol.

The 'just do it' part killed me.

Gator86

It's a shit situation for all involved, shame telling the truth in this case is giving people too many gamer gate flashbacks to admit it.

Positive discrimination hahaha. Are you saying this is about ethics in studio management?

Man he destroyed this game. There is just nothing left. There were ruins near the end, but with the final shot he brought the wrecking ball back for one final swing. That ending was perfect, final nail in Bioware's coffin.

Yeah, it's 20 minutes of pure roasting. This game was asking for it lol.

Monday morning is going to be an exciting one at BioWare.

FoxSpirit

I m glad I am old. I can get really nostalgic playing a game with PS2 era animation.

This game gave me honest nostalgio feels. The unintentionally goofy animation with hamfisted dialogue... gives me a really old video game vibe where those things were merely sprinkles on the gameplay.

Dabanton

Sounds like made up nonsense. For a game to be as fucked up as this A LOT of people need to have fucked up and sometimes it isn't even people actually making the game.

Also, don't pull that shit in here. No need for witch hunts, I don't want this thread closed.

Management and supervisors fucked up as they have the responibility to sign off work. That they thought this was decent speaks very ill of the work setup at this arm of Bioware

Receipts please

fastmower

You're blaming the issues on hiring minorities and women??? What's wrong with you?

We don't know the full story but how much is EA really to blame in this? Is this really an evil publisher thing or an incompetent dev thing? Maybe both?
EA certainly has a problem with how they handle the direction of their dev studios.

Cmon dude.

images

tuxfool

Banned

Name them. Sources NAO.

Wait for the ex staff postmortem in a few weeks. I'm not making this shit up.
NO.

You made a statement, now back it up.

Grimsen

Video is hilarious. I died at the last part.

However, having actually played the game, the stuff that is really obtrusive and bothersome is few and far between, and there's a lot to love about the game. I think this is a case of the the internet focusing too much on the negative aspects of the game and giving others an overly negative impression. I think the current metacritic score, 74, is an apt score for the game. I'd bump it a few points if they fix some of this stuff, which seems well within their power to do.

I'm playing the game now, and I'd have to disagree. The jank and bugs are very prominent.

This is what happens when you give diversity more importance than actual ability when hiring staff.

dietracists0tsl0.gif

Kthulhu

Living up to your username.

The game is a result of a team who has never made a full game together, with their experience only being on Mass Effect DLC, being tasked with creating a new game, on a new engine, with a strict deadline. This is on EA, nobody else. It'd be like asking Certain Affinity to make Halo 6 because they made some Halo map packs before.

5 years.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

FSI6FMC.png

While BioWare Montreal hasn't impressed with Andromeda, there's still Edmonton. They would have all the feedback from Dragon Age Inquisition and the Witcher 3 wasn't released that long after DA:I so the next Dragon Age can be a great improvement over Inquisition. They have their Frostbite engine workflow set from DA:I and they didn't have the technical flaws that Montreal had with Andromeda.

We don't know the full story but how much is EA really to blame in this? Is this really an evil publisher thing or an incompetent dev thing? Maybe both?

probably both, but I'll lean more towards the devs being in way over their heads, or rather, unqualified individuals were put in charge of decision making positions. The low res textures, the atrocious writing and voice acting, and the animation (not just the facial ones).... how the hell did all this get approved?? and they had 5 years to work on this???

FoxSpirit

Management and supervisors fucked up as they have the responibility to sign off work. That they thought this was decent speaks very ill of the work setup at this arm of Bioware
Bullshit. At one point, you simply can't delay it any more. I mean, half a year ago animation promised it would all be done by release. And you have seen what can be done in 6 months. Okay. 4 months later you see that that is not true. But you have a date. the company wont budge. And it becomes overly clear that even with a 4 month delay your animation team won't hack it. But bringing in a whole new team and have them redo stuff would be what, an 8 month delay? Corporate would not sign off on this. No fucking way.

Welcome to the place between a rock and a hard one. You have to release eventhough you know that one thing is simply messed up. You pray. Seems your prayers were not heard. You are fucked.

Video is hilarious. I died at the last part.

However, having actually played the game, the stuff that is really obtrusive and bothersome is few and far between, and there's a lot to love about the game. I think this is a case of the the internet focusing too much on the negative aspects of the game and giving others an overly negative impression. I think the current metacritic score, 74, is an apt score for the game. I'd bump it a few points if they fix some of this stuff, which seems well within their power to do.

Experiences will differ, of course, but I strongly disagree with the bolded. In 30+ hours of play, I can't even attempt to count the number of weird shit I've seen in my game.

Toxi

Banned
Reptilian aliens trying to undermine human society were really the ones to blame for Andromeda. You'll know when the government investigation comes out in a week.

I really don't buy the "diversity hire" meme. There are so many better explanations ranging from the fact it's a brand new studio with no experience, the fact that it's a tact-on sequel to a series that was already basically done, EA's past history with sucking dev's and IP dry, etc...

Top Bottom