• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CryEngine 3 Technology Papers with New Crysis 2 Screens

markao

Came across some new info at InCrysis from two courses held at Siggraph 2010, about the CryEngine 3.

CryEngine 3 Technology Papers with New Crysis 2 Screens

On July 28-29, Crytek's Lead Researcher Anton Kaplanyan held two courses at SIGGRAPH 2010 that covered the lighting features of CryEngine 3. In the first one, titled "CryENGINE 3: Reaching the Speed of Light", Crytek presents a generalized and balanced real-time rendering pipeline. The second course, "Real-time Diffuse Global Illumination in CryEngine 3", presented Crytek's diffuse Global Illumination technique for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1 - CryENGINE 3: Reaching the Speed of Light:

Advanced RT rendering (pdf)

2 - Real-time Diffuse Global Illumination in CryENGINE 3

RT Global Illumination by Anton Kaplanyan (pdf)

3- The Future of Game Engines (GDC China)

Towards Real-time Photo-realistic Rendering and Natural Character Animation - Xiaomao Wu (Powerpoint or PDF)

Download Hydrib anti-aliasing demo video (AVI, 720p, 76MB)

Some images from CryENGINE 3: Reaching the Speed of Light

Click on an image for a larger version and some more at link above.

Consistent lighting examples

Diffuse Global Illumination in Crysis 2

Global Illumination on particles

Global Illumination simulated with Deferred Lights

Indoor scenes using Light Propagation Volumes

And a bonus Crysis 2 screenshot

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking really hot. I hope CryEngine 3 gets a lot more use than CryEngine 2. Hopefully with the ability to scale for consoles some other devs will start licensing it.

Rflagg

RoboPlato said:
Looking really hot. I hope CryEngine 3 gets a lot more use than CryEngine 2. Hopefully with the ability to scale for consoles some other devs will start licensing it.
I really really hope so, because there is no denying the engine makes games look great, and I have never been able to get into fps games. I remember that fantasy setting stuff form a few months ago, I would do unspeakable things to see something like that in an actual fantasy rpg.

No_Style

RoboPlato said:

Not just CryEngine 2; none of CryTek's engines get much use by other developers. If they can't get it working with this, I don't know what they can do.

Yasae

Banned
This is gonna stretch the forum's cooch all out, but:

cryengine3_consistent_ogsc.jpg

Wonderful shot.

Mikey Jr.

We went from this

NFS_Porsche_Unleashed.jpg

to this

cryengine3_consistent_cheh.jpg

in 10 years. That is insane. Wonder what 2020 is gonna look like. Will I be able to say "ohh man, that shot looks like ass now"

Dennis

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
We went from this

cryengine3_consistent_cheh.jpg

in 10 years. That is insane. Wonder what 2020 is gonna look like. Will I be able to say "ohh man, that shot looks like ass now"
That shot isn't so great though. Low res textures.

Kibbles

Yasae said:
This is gonna stretch the forum's cooch all out, but:

http://www.abload.de/img/cryengine3_consistent_ogsc.jpg[/.img]

Wonderful shot.[/QUOTE]
I'm laughing but crying at the same time...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No_Style said:
Not just CryEngine 2; none of CryTek's engines get much use by other developers. If they can't get it working with this, I don't know what they can do.
They need to release an engine with lots of documentation, high quality tools, and fantastic performance on consoles at the beginning of a generation.

If their engine isn't easier to use and better performing on consoles than whatever Epic has to offer at the beginning of the next generation, people aren't going to switch, since they all know how to use Unreal Engine already.

Kibbles

TouchMyBox said:
Truck shot looks the worst of the bunch, so i'm surprised that's what all you guys are talking about.
Me too, I thought they were joking. I mean that downscaled one looks good, but the big one looks... decent.

Has there been talk about a map editor for the console version, like Far Cry 2?

Luigiv

No_Style said:
Now you highlighted the fact that front tire is clipping through the road.

Way to go.
Actually that's not clipping that's just amazing attention to detail (pro-tip, in real life tires compress and deform under the weight of the vehicle)

Edit: Or at least I think it is.

Yasae

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Shiiiiit, those last two shots in particular look fantastic. It just makes me cry a little more that Crysis 2 got delayed.
Let's tear this cooch wide open then.

crysis2_indoor_scene4hd8h.jpg

*hears ripping noise*

Luigiv

Mikey Jr. said:
We went from this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/NFS_Porsche_Unleashed.jpg[img]

to this

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cryengine3_consistent_cheh.jpg[img]

in 10 years. That is insane. Wonder what 2020 is gonna look like. Will I be able to say "ohh man, that shot looks like ass now"[/QUOTE]
Sorry to say, but the jump between now and 2020 wont be quite as big. Unfortunately, the Law of Diminishing Returns is working on two separate fronts here.

First, we're reaching the stage were even if we continue to throw more and more technology at it, the difference we'll physical be able to notice will get less and less.

And Secondly, we're also seeing a diminishing return in the rate at which the technology improves in the first place. At the beginning of the decade, hardware was practically doubling it's performance every year, without having to push the boundaries of what were acceptable operating temperatures and power draws. Nowadays, we tend to see only a 20-30% performance increase every 18 months with the hardware getting hotter, less efficient and bigger with each revision.

Now, I'm sure was 2020 comes we'll all be laughing about "how we use to think Crysis 2 was impressive" but trust me when I say it's going to hold up better then you might think.

I'm really curious to see how well their temporalAA solution works in practice. Its something that is very rarely used in PC games (ATI's driver solution is the last time I can remember it surfacing in the PC world) and even when it is used in the console space its usually restricted to games that have a consistent framerate. If it can hold up even with a variable framerate then it looks to be a fantastic, low cost AA solution.

Sutanreyu

Eccocid said:
Looks like a GT 5 shot to me..

Why do people insist that Crysis is truly the end-all-be-all for real-time computer graphics? It looks great, yeah... But there are other titles that have certain aspects that shine. For example, Killzone 2/3 and its stylistic film effects, motion blur, lighting, etc. Many modern engines has different areas of concentration that put them above the competition.

Many major engines like CryEngine 2/3 take a generalist direction and essentially adopt "Jack of all trades" motiff, so of course you could re-purpose the engine to cater specifically for inorganic things like vehicles, but that's sort of besides the point. In a generalized environment, it doesn't do everything, simultaneously, in an incredible way.

So I can almost objectively say that no, it doesn't really look like a GT5 shot when you take all things into consideration. http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/upl...Circuit_Mazda_RX-7-Spirit-R-Type-A-FD_001.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Sutanreyu said:
Why do people insist that Crysis is truly the end-all-be-all for real-time computer graphics? It looks great, yeah... But there are other titles that have certain aspects that shine. For example, Killzone 2/3 and its stylistic film effects, motion blur, lighting, etc. Many modern engines has different areas of concentration that put them above the competition.

Many major engines like CryEngine 2/3 take a generalist direction and essentially adopt "Jack of all trades" motiff, so of course you could re-purpose the engine to cater specifically for inorganic things like vehicles, but that's sort of besides the point. In a generalized environment, it doesn't do everything, simultaneously, in an incredible way.

So I can almost objectively say that no, it doesn't really look like a GT5 shot when you take all things into consideration. http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/upl...Circuit_Mazda_RX-7-Spirit-R-Type-A-FD_001.jpg
The motion blur in Crysis is great and the lighting is still second to none. In very large levels.

And I am simply not comphrending the comparison to GT5. You somehow doubt that the CryEngine 2 could feature a high polygon car model?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sutanreyu said:

i'm impressed, nearly 3 paragraphs before you dropped the gt5 photomode bullshot.

Sutanreyu said:

....Good lord, please Brain_Stew correct this fool. :lol

ultim8p00

Banned
Sutanreyu said:

SonicLulz.jpg

TacticalFox88 said:
....Good lord, please Brain_Stew correct this fool. :lol
Nothing to correct, its just pure ignorance. But we can't really say anything either until we see Cryengine 3 at work on our machines. Until we see how it and all the work Crytek did holds up.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sutanreyu said:

wow

Top Bottom