• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crypt of the NecroDancer Coming to PS4, PS Vita

Murugo

Just might have to get a Vita. Necrodancer on handheld is something I've wanted to try for a long while.

I'm also incredibly excited to hear virt's rendition of the soundtrack. The chiptune flavor should be interesting.

Gintoki

I'm assuming it won't include A_Rival and FamilyJules7X alternate tracks? I especially liked FamilyJules tracks.

BigDug13

PC version has in-game mod support. I've got that megaman total conversion mod that is really good. I wonder what mod support these versions will have.

Murugo

It isn't mentioned on the blog post.

They'll most likely be in the game since the alternate soundtracks are associated with different characters, e.g. A_Rival for Melody and FamilyJules7X for Aria. My guess is that Kaufman's soundtrack will be for a different character, or just as another option.

Miker

Cool announcement. It's too bad the consoles don't have mod support (and may not have custom song support?), because playing as Agent J from Elite Beat Agents is the best thing ever.

Azlan

Very happy to hear that this is coming to PS4. Every since seeing the Quicklook on Giant Bomb I have been wanting to check this out.

I've been watching videos for this game and am still trying to understand how the game system works.

It's grid based, and you have to perform all your inputs in time with the beat, as indicated by the pumping heart at the bottom of the screen. Is this correct?

Tenebrous

I've been watching videos for this game and am still trying to understand how the game system works.

It's grid based, and you have to perform all your inputs in time with the beat, as indicated by the pumping heart at the bottom of the screen. Is this correct?

Yup. Only inputs are up/down/left/right.

Miker

Yup. Enemies move on the beat, and you have to as well (or you lose a multiplier). If an enemy moves into your square, or you move into a square an enemy /will/ move into, then you take damage.

Vlad

Pretty much. As with most things, the Giant Bomb Quick Look should give you a good idea of what the game's about.

You can only perform actions on the beat. Anything else will cause it to simply not happen. There's a minor penalty for missing a beat or attempting an action off-beat, but it's not too punishing (you lose your coin multiplier). Honestly, the game's pretty tough even without the music system in place. Every enemy has a set pattern, but when you enter an area and are swarmed by six different enemies at once, figuring out how to approach the situation can be pretty hard.

antitrop

Okay awesome. So how does combat work?

You attack by moving in the direction of the enemy, to the beat, with some minor variation depending one what weapon you have equipped (some attack diagonally, for example). Spells and items are used by pressing two of the movement buttons at the same time, which is cumbersome, but it keeps everything working on just 4 buttons.

Default controls use the four face buttons, but I think it's possible to map the d-pad to your item combos.

BigDug13

You attack by moving in the direction of the enemy, to the beat, with some minor variation depending one what weapon you have equipped (some attack diagonally, for example). Spells and items are used by pressing two of the movement buttons at the same time, which is cumbersome, but it keeps everything working on just 4 buttons.

Default controls use the four face buttons, but I think it's possible to map the d-pad to your item combos.

The default move controls are the face buttons and the item combos are the D-Pad? That sounds backward.

flowsnake

The default move controls are the face buttons and the item combos are the D-Pad? That sounds backward.

Not possible to press all combinations of buttons on a d-pad (e.g. up+down). They could map that to shoulder buttons instead.

I play with arrow keys on a keyboard though.

zashga

Great game; hope this lets more people play it. Headphones would be a must if you're going to play it "out."

Hugstable

Banned
Great game, played it on Steam and it's such a neat idea to meld Music Rhythm with Roguelikes. The craziest part is that it actually works, and it works really fucking well

chixdiggit

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a very mediocre Rogue-like with a rhythm mechanic thrown on top of it.
If you like Rogue Likes but are not into rhythm games, don't even bother.

CassSept

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a very mediocre Rogue-like with a rhythm mechanic thrown on top of it.

Well, the rhythm mechanic is the main point of the game. Weird criticism tbh.

Tenebrous

Why isn't there custom music support? I know the blog post mentions licensing issues, but issues with what? The PS4 plays Mp3s, and that's all it needs to do.

Why isn't there custom music support? I know the blog post mentions licensing issues, but issues with what? The PS4 plays Mp3s, and that's all it needs to do.

I think they use a third party software to analyze songs and generate the beats. That's probably the issue.

Cheddahz

Banned

Honestly, it's the best rogue like game I've ever played (of course, this is my personal opinion)

I tend to get bored with most rogue like games, but I kept on (and do keep on) wanting to playing NecroDancer and with the MP3 support on the PC version, it's just a blast to come back to and play whenever I'm in the mood to

Alric

Awesome, I held off getting on the PC hoping for a portable version and I couldn't of asked for a better portable system. Rhythm games and handhelds are just meld perfectly for me.

Top Bottom