• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crypto Cycles and GPU's

Fahdis

So as we usher in a new cycle of Bull market (not yet confirmed until after BTC goes above 32K and stays there) it is not going to be like other cycles.

Last time GPUs were pricing out gamers due to Ethereum having a POW (Proof of Work) Consensus mechanism which changed to POS (Proof of Stake) recently using 99.9% less energy.

Bitcoin unless you have GPU farms near dams or favorable rates for electricity is about to get priced out for many many people (which can still be profitable under the right conditions).

So unless you're a validator on the network for a reward, GPU mining is not worth it anymore due to cost to income ratio. Other shitcoins are just not popular enough or have POS consensus.

Here's an article explaining it: https://buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/profitability/

Gamer bros can now breath easy that the scum corporations that raised GPU prices will not have to worry about cycles like these again.

Forgot to explain halving cycles as well, but thats all in the article.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

It would be worse this time if it coincided with the already highly priced current gen GPUs that are struggling to keep up with Moore's law and the high demand for AI computing power.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
GPU mining is all but dead until a PoW coin comes around and is actually popular and not a pump and dump.

Most "profitable" GPU is the 4090.......itll only take 6000 days to pay for itself.
The next best GPU to mine with is the 4070Ti.........10,000 days to pay for itself.

Reallink

4090, an aggregate $1800 part, is about to crest top 30 Steam GPU (including integrated graphics), all on genuine #gamer demand. You've already lost, the only place high prices are going is further up. 5090 will be $2000 minimum and sell out instantly. They've successfully shifted the product stack, this was the only generation and only shot you had at price correction. Next gen all the cards will be clearly faster than their predecessors and people will happily gobble them up at their inflated prices.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

If the whole world suddenly realize hey can just "vote" with their wallet to stop this kind of indecent capitalism nonsense, the world would be different, but better or worsr, I can't tell for sure, the world's fury is afraiding me.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nvidia and AMD are both more focused on AI, which is why AMD probably won’t have any high end cards for the 8000 series.

Nvidia will continue raising prices, because they can.

I unironically am happy top tier parts are pricing out the masses. A $1600 graphics card that will be top of the food chain for at least 2 years is joke amounts of money. If you can't set aside $800 a year, well no top tier GPU for you.

-Minsc-

If the whole world suddenly realize hey can just "vote" with their wallet to stop this kind of indecent capitalism nonsense, the world would be different, but better or worsr, I can't tell for sure, the world's fury is afraiding me.
Imagine walking into the supermarket and saying I only make minimum wage so I can't afford to pay full price. Here's what I can pay, take it and give me my merchandise.

Top Bottom