• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

I love this shot for some reason. The lighting and "warmth" of it just works for me.

4qspad.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
luka said:
If you don't have a dx11 card, what exactly do the ultra settings change? There doesn't seem to be a dx10 path at all. Some of this stuff (like POM) should not require dx11.
It could be complete bullshit, but according to the documents it is DX11 implementation of POM.

strata8

Vitet said:
Shadows, DOF, POM, reflections. Wow this is amazing.
These bags and the garbage are awesome too
E443F12835DF3DD30D82291523984F4F54B60820
I scrolled up from the bottom of the page and I actually thought those sandbags were from a photo or something. Rest of the screen breaks that illusion, but, christ.

sp3000

Word for for the wise men

If you want even better textures, then first upgrade to Crytek's pack and then add on Maldo's pack as a mod. Load it up and play single player with it.

You get even higher res textures on some surfaces, and some of the ones that Crytek didn't work on get a massive improvement.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
jambo said:
Good thing I'm getting a second GTX 570 when I get my tax return in a few weeks.
Your problem isn't shader units, but lack of memory. The GTX570 doesn't have enough VRAM, adding another one won't net you a performance increase at that resolution.

daviyoung

Banned
Runs fine on my GTX 570 at Ultra. Noticed a definite frame rate drop though, with both tessellation and the high-res texture upgrade. Haven't counted them, but I'd say between 35-45fps with these.

The high-res doesn't make much difference to me so I'm going to turn it off and uninstall it, I'd rather a super-smooth experience. It's a damn good test of a system if nothing else.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ultra spec in DX9 I've noticed tonemapping, local reflections, and improved particles. Kind of disappointed how underutilized RLR is. I still see cubemaps on most of the puddles, buildings and cars.

I'm happy that crossfire finally works in C2 though. Running DX9 ultra at 1080p with high res textures I'm getting a pretty solid 30fps across the board with my 4870x2. Load times increase threefold from the textures though. :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Has anyone figured out / read somewhere how to force AA in nvidia inspector again? Because as of yet I can't use the same settings as before. :[[[

strata8

luka said:
Ultra spec in DX9 I've noticed tonemapping, local reflections, and improved particles. Kind of disappointed how underutilized RLR is. I still see cubemaps on most of the puddles, buildings and cars.

I'm happy that crossfire finally works in C2 though. Running DX9 ultra at 1080p with high res textures I'm getting a pretty solid 30fps across the board with my 4870x2. Load times increase threefold from the textures though. :p
It would be almost impossible for proper real-time reflections in a game (ie, real-time cubemaps on all surfaces). AFAIK, the current method creates a 'fake' reflection using the image on the screen.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
NotTarts said:
It would be almost impossible for proper real-time reflections in a game (ie, real-time cubemaps on all surfaces). AFAIK, the current method creates a 'fake' reflection using the image on the screen.
Oh yeah of course it would. I just hate static cubemaps so goddamn much. :(

Corky

the crysis games have always been gentle when it comes to fps fluctuation. Dropping from 50-60 from time to time it is rather hard to "feel" it. It probably is the motionblur. On another note, I actually played through crysis 1 with that 24hz bug unknowingly and it never felt like it was "chugging"

avaya

Hmm might have to get a second 580. Glad I put off playing this before the patch. Much more like the Crysis 2 I expected.

LovingSteam said:
For those of you who felt Crysis 1 is more impressive visually than Crysis 2 and had a chance to play with DX11 Crysis 2, do you still feel that way? How much more impressive do you find DX11 C2 than DX9 C2?
Well it fixes my main gripe with the game. No more glowing bullshit around iron sights anymore.

hiverbon

Neo Member
evil solrac v3.0 said:
ok, anyone know how to fix the flickering issue? I have GTX 580 SLI and I'm getting terrible flickering.

From the FAQ on MyCrysis: http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32062

Known Issues
1. NVidia graphic problems
- 1. Crysis2 may flicker on the SLI-enabled configurations having a GPU dedicated to PhysX (no matter if PhysX is enabled in NVIDIA control panel)
- 2. 3d vision does not work on 64-bit systems (dx11-only issue)
- 3. Scenes with rain layer show weapon corruption (dx9-only)
i. NVidia is aware of the issues and currently working on a new driver update
ii. Switching to an older driver version might temporarily solve that issue

jambo

godhandiscen said:
Your problem isn't shader units, but lack of memory. The GTX570 doesn't have enough VRAM, adding another one won't net you a performance increase at that resolution.

Hmm, any suggestions for a better card?

I've been able to play almost everything just fine @ 2560x1600. I can't always max out games, but the vast majority I do. A lot of benchmarks I looked at seemed to indicate that you can get 50-100% FPS increase with 570s in SLI.

So I tried it out with my 2x 6950 (unlocked) at 2560x1440 and it's sorta playable, but sorta not... I had to stop though because I felt sick or something.... I dunno, maybe it was the jerky frame rate or something, but I worked a long day today.

I'll come back to it another time.

Must say, it looks amazing though.

Damn this 2560 curse.

Corky

jambo said:
Hmm, any suggestions for a better card?

I've been able to play almost everything just fine @ 2560x1600. I can't always max out games, but the vast majority I do.

Well there's always the 3gb gtx 580s, maybe if you can get a great price for your 570 you could make the switch worth it or something.

jambo

Corky said:
Well there's always the 3gb gtx 580s, maybe if you can get a great price for your 570 you could make the switch worth it or something.

Had a look around, most of the 3GB 580s start at $600 AUD or so, so if I can sell my 570 for a couple hundred I'd be happy.

Corky

jambo said:
Had a look around, most of the 3GB 580s start at $600 AUD or so, so if I can sell my 570 for a couple hundred I'd be happy.

Generally I swap from 570 to 580 is if anything a sidegrade, but since you are playing at such a high resolution I'm sure just the vram difference alone would be worth it. ( or so I believe )

Corky

Lostconfused said:
Well I said screw it and just got another GTX 470 for SLI, that should hold me over until fall when some actually new hardware comes out.

I think sli 470s will tide you over longer than that ;P

Well I need a new card obviously, with the high res textures things chug a bit too much. Runs pretty smooth with the high res pack off, and got on just the DX11 features with many at ultra and it's still a huge improvement over vanilla C2. The particle effects... delicious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tesselation should be smart enough to back off in complex areas to avoid your framerate nosediving.

What are the big wins in terms of effects? I'd rather have stuff like those particles at a decent frame rate, than crazy high tesselation if necessary. Don't mind switching down to 720p if it helps keep the framerate up - running on a 40" 1080p TV

i5 2500k, 6950 2GB. Steam version for my sins.

Corky

Huh, can someone tell me how big of a difference the high res texture play on the performance? I'm on my laptop so I can't check.

markao

mrklaw said:
tesselation should be smart enough to back off in complex areas to avoid your framerate nosediving.

What are the big wins in terms of effects? I'd rather have stuff like those particles at a decent frame rate, than crazy high tesselation if necessary. Don't mind switching down to 720p if it helps keep the framerate up - running on a 40" 1080p TV

i5 2500k, 6950 2GB. Steam version for my sins.
Use CCC and try to lower the Tessellation to 8x, read it still gives enough tessellation, with a little less performance drop.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kyaw said:
Anyone tried locking this at 30fps?
Yeah. I prefer playing it at "high" and 60 fps, but it still looks very good at 30 fps.

If I lock it at 30 fps I can set everything but object detail to Ultra and never drop from 30. Ultra object detail rapes my framerate, though. I would like to enable POM while disabling tesselation (which I don't really think adds that much to the visuals unless you go out of your way looking for it). Anyone know if it's possible?

squicken said:
Not going to play this until I get a second 460 to SLI, and I won't be doing that until the card makers stop with the rebate stuff and just lower the price.

I have a spare 460 at a good price if you're interested :D

markao

Kyaw said:
If there a similar tool for Nvidia?
No idea, AMD guy myself and just tested it and it does improve my frame-rates significantly. Still going to wait for some custom cfg's before I go trough it again, to further personalize/improve quality, more interested to see what the editor will bring tomorrow.

Smokey

Corky said:
Has anyone figured out / read somewhere how to force AA in nvidia inspector again? Because as of yet I can't use the same settings as before. :[[[

Why not just do it through the Nvidia CP?

Corky

Smokey said:
Why not just do it through the Nvidia CP?

I was under the impression that the nvidia cp didn't have even close to the amount of tools and customization options that inspector offers - hence why I totally neglected/forgot that option.

Top Bottom