• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DX11 patch for Crysis 2 will save the PS3?

Raistlin said:
> 4GB of textures?

:eek:

You know how when it was suggested that the next generations of consoles should have 8GBs of RAM a lot of people were like, "dur, PC games, like, never go over 2GBs of memory usage. Any more that that is obviously a waste. dur"?

In 32 bit versions of windows individual applications can't use more than 2 GBs of RAM. So that's the real limit they bust through by requiring 64 bit Windows. Even if they don't go over 4GBs in memory usage, they can still basically double the amount of art they put on screen in the game.

Fezan

I know it looks good in pictures...but i dont really see these effect too much while in motion.
i will notice them if i am using cover but beside that not soo much.
and also the performance hit will be tremendous.

btw i loved crysis 2.specialy improvements they made to suit powers.now just fix that A.I

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
High-res textures are a great addition and I look forward to those, but I doubt I'll make use of the DX11 features. As it stands, I can pull a solid 60 fps in DX9 mode with object details dialed down a touch, but I'm sure enabling all of those DX11 features will hurt the framerate.

At least it will be interesting for future machines. Of course, they could surprise me and deliver an optimized DX11 experience. Every other DX11 game with tessellation didn't benefit all that much, in my opinion, and simply suffered from reduced performance.

I really wish they would fix the AI, though. I LOVE Crysis 2, but the AI is pretty brain dead. They give you all the tools for one of the coolest first person experiences you could have and then pit you against worthless enemies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hi guys,

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

*dramatic music playing*

Fezan

dark10x said:
High-res textures are a great addition and I look forward to those, but I doubt I'll make use of the DX11 features. As it stands, I can pull a solid 60 fps in DX9 mode with object details dialed down a touch, but I'm sure enabling all of those DX11 features will hurt the framerate.

At least it will be interesting for future machines. Of course, they could surprise me and deliver an optimized DX11 experience. Every other DX11 game with tessellation didn't benefit all that much, in my opinion, and simply suffered from reduced performance.

I really wish they would fix the AI, though. I LOVE Crysis 2, but the AI is pretty brain dead. They give you all the tools for one of the coolest first person experiences you could have and then pit you against worthless enemies.
you said the same thing as me but worded it better.

Kyaw said:
When was POM ever a DX11 feature...? smh
it isn't clear that a DX10 card running the DX11 codepath wouldn't get POM and some of these other features. obviously not tesselation and probably not bokeh though (as that's likely using compute shaders).

strata8

nib95 said:
Whoops lol. Excuse my ignorance, but is SSDO DX11 only?
Not entirely sure, to be honest. I thought BF:BC2 had it (though possibly only in DX11 mode as well). It's possible that it performs far better in DX11 than DX9.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NotTarts said:
Not entirely sure, to be honest. I thought BF:BC2 had it (though possibly only in DX11 mode as well). It's possible that it performs far better in DX11 than DX9.
Nah, BC2 had HBAO which was one of the most impossible to tell graphical features I have ever seen. And it cuts the framerate ridiculously.

Kyaw

Stallion Free said:
Is it that hard to determine that this may be some new implementation of it that uses a DX11 codepath?

Maybe maybe... but what about the DX10 card users???
Will POM work without a DX11 card? (i doubt it)

Kyaw said:
Maybe maybe... but what about the DX10 card users???
Will POM work without a DX11 card? (i doubt it)
it might. DX11 is designed to run on DX10 cards, only certain specific features will only work on DX11 cards. if the developer's code path is well designed, it'll work on a DX10 card and just disable the DX11 only bits.

so if say, POM only relies on DX10 features, it would work on a DX10 card running the DX11 codepath.

it could be like Dirt 2, where you can't (to my knowledge) run the DX11 codepath on a DX10 card, or it could be like AvP where you can, and only the DX11 only features are disabled, but it's still recommend for DX10 hardware owners to run the DX11 version.

Fezan said:
CRYTEK: WHAT IS dx10???
there is no point in making a game with a DX10 codepath anymore. none.

DX11 codepaths, if properly programmed will run on DX10 cards. all DX10 cards will miss out on are DX11 only effects.

so why would any developer make a DX10 codepath if they have a DX11 one? the DX11 codepath doesn't leave DX10 card owners out in the dark. it just leaves them without effects like tesselation which their cards can't do.

a DX10 codepath would be completely redundant.

How many of those could one expect to run in DX9? You know, by enabling the cvars on an autoexec.cfg or something, like Very High on Crysis 1 under XP/DX9. I'm running a GTX285 here... sigh.

I don't honestly care about the DOF effect as honestly it looks incredible as it is now. And I know I'm not gonna get that sweet water either but... I'm interested in an improved motion blur and blur for particles, and obviously POM which was available in DX9 4 years ago.

I know there's improvements for DX9 too in there. What are contact shadows?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
plagiarize said:
DX11 codepaths, if properly programmed will run on DX10 cards.
So do we know if this is "properly programmed" then? Lost Planet 2 for example wasn't, the DX11 path didn't start on my GTX285... If all the things that should run on DX10 run on DX10, and also give the proper performance boost over DX9 for the rest things, then that's great, and that's probably what that poster wanted. If not, then that sucks.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

Having seen xzero's work with most of of the things listed with a little "-" mark next to them (penumbra shadows, tesselation for the suit models to make em look like having frigging cgi quality poly counts, bokeh etc) on cryengine 2 in crysis 1, once modders get their hands on the game with the tools, it's going to look ridiculous ,and some of the custom maps are going to look out of this world.
I'm (realisticly) expecting some mind boggling 'next gen' graphics out of custom maps.

I'm wondering if they hired him ... (since the files were taken down and links methodically removed on crymod and incrisis, and most of his experiments of writing these shaders for cryengine seems to suddenly appear in cryengine 3)

MaddenNFL64

I enjoyed the fuck out of Crysis 2, on consoles. Had fun playing it multiple times. Sad I won't ever see this stuff myself. But when it drops theres some youtube videos to watch (look up nanosuitninja)

Alextended said:
So do we know if this is "properly programmed" then? Lost Planet 2 for example wasn't, the DX11 path didn't start on my GTX285... If all the things that should run on DX10 run on DX10, and also give the proper performance boost over DX9 for the rest things, then that's great, and that's probably what that poster wanted. If not, then that sucks.
we don't know at this point, no. i'm just saying, things might not be so bad for DX10 card owners. i stress *might* though. i'd hope Crytek of all people would program appropriately cause you'd think they'd want their engine to sing on any hardware, but who knows?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DX11 patch installer fails to find the Steam version :(.

Corky said:
Not to sound too pessimistic but the differences aren't shall we say... spectacular :

ekukW.jpg

YtHmQ.jpg
you've got to be shitting me, that is exactly the same picture, isn't it?
:(

EatChildren

scar tissue said:

Its probably the worst example of tessellation, something you'd have found out if you had read through the thread.

EatChildren

subversus said:
and I'm fucking downloading this

You might want to wait and see if anybody can get it to work. It tries to find and patch a dx11.pak file, but no such file exists. I'm thinking that maybe Crysis 2 itself will need to be automatically patched first, which will set it up for DX11, and then people can apply the DX11 patch.

scar tissue said:

What do you expect?
Tessellation has more use for organic models.
Not hard edged ones like robot or metal objects.

Hell Should make a big difference for water
Yeah and brick walls dont know what they also could use tessellation for in a city environment.

It would be way more interesting if they used tessellation and decal bullet wholes or indents created from grenades.

Like this sample on msdn.

his sample, contributed by AMD, presents a technique for applying tessellation with displacement mapping using decals. Given an arbitrary mesh, the sample uses a ray cast to find the location of where a ray from the eye point intersects the mesh. A decal is placed at the intersection and the mesh is rendered with tessellation so that the triangle density is high enough for accurate displacement mapping. One possible use for this technique is to represent realistic looking 3D damage on objects.

ic413111.png

Also didn't see this in battlefield 3 tank demo

EatChildren said:
You might want to wait and see if anybody can get it to work. It tries to find and patch a dx11.pak file, but no such file exists. I'm thinking that maybe Crysis 2 itself will need to be automatically patched first, which will set it up for DX11, and then people can apply the DX11 patch.

Yes, we likely need "Crysis 2 Patch 1.9". But maybe the texture upgrade works.

Top Bottom