• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Demo Comes March 1st [Update: OUT - Press Enter To Begin]

If there was no DX11 version this would be the worst sequel since Deus Ex: Invisible War.

They've already gimped the gameplay, I can't believe they would gimp the technical side on PC.

Mad Max said:
Advanced looks better than hardcore though, because it removes most of the blur.

Maybe that's why I am not understanding everyone's complaints about blur, I'm running it on advanced. Only time I see a ton of blur is when I'm doing a running slide.

Edit: Nevermind, it is confirmed I forgot:

•Highly Recommended: 3GHz Core i7 4GB RAM, GTX560Ti / HD4870 X2, 1.8GB Video Memory, DX11, Shader Model 3.0/4.0, Windows 7, 30fps @ 1920 x 1200

Izayoi

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Super Wii launches March 2012 with modern GPU. Crysis 3 releases March 2013 for SWii and PC, not letting itself be held back by PS360.

BELIEVE.
Ha.

It's funny because it would still be held back by over a year.

At least DICE seems to be able to get things right.

Jubbly

demolitio said:
So Gamer is medium and Hardcore is High, correct? Some other forum said Gamer was low while Advanced was medium and Hardcore was high but I thought Advanced was just the usual though the advanced settings aren't in the demo, right?

So is there any difference between Gamer and leaving it on Advanced in the demo? I'm still deciding whether there's a big enough difference between Gamer and Hardcore to warrant the FPS drop.

Hardcore > Advanced > Gamer

Dennis

Banned
Mad Max said:
Advanced looks better than hardcore though, because it removes most of the blur.
And that shows how important having detailed in-game settings is. I want to remove the blur but keep everything else Hardcore.

Crytek won't let me play the game how I want to? Ridiculous.

Unable to habeeb that they aren't including custom graphics settings. I'll cross my fingers for them to be in the final build, but I doubt it. Will purchase during the 2012 Steam holiday sales for 9.99.

jackdoe

Foliorum Viridum said:
If there was no DX11 version this would be the worst sequel since Deus Ex: Invisible War.
Nothing can be as bad as Deus Ex Invisible War. The downgrade for that game has been unmatched.

Enosh

ThoseDeafMutes said:
No, they added them in when they ported it from console. It also has other PC exclusive features, like mouse support.
hey don't bring MW2 into this, MW2 gave you all the sliders for options you wanted

DennisK4 said:
And that shows how important having detailed in-game settings is. I want to remove the blur but keep everything else Hardcore.

Surely at the very least we will be able to adjust the .ini file?

Truant said:
I'm the only one on GAF who loves DoF and motion blur :(

I like it too, don't fret!

Izayoi said:
Ha.

It's funny because it would still be held back by over a year.

Presumably the differences between the 7000/600 series GPU in the SWii and the 8000/700 series that will be out when Crysis 3 launches will be such that level design etc does not need to be sacrificed, so the console version can just be running High with the option for Very High for the latter GPUs.

Dennis

Banned
Truant said:
I'm the only one on GAF who loves DoF and motion blur :(
Probably. GAF is mostly a classy place.

They problem with those effects is mainly that they are so ridiculously exaggerated in most games. Sometimes less is more.

demolitio

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll try Advanced out next time I hop on. Bad time for my motherboard to be acting up though. :(

Just to change things up a little bit and focus on some positive for a change, am I the only one who loves the menu design? The 3D effect is pretty cool and makes me wish I had a 3D kit ready to go...

Speaking of which, has anyone tried the demo in 3D yet? Impressions? How drastic is the performance hit?

jackdoe said:
Nothing can be as bad as Deus Ex Invisible War. The downgrade for that game has been unmatched.
Smaller scale, gimped powers, basically no graphical options...

No, it won't be Deus Ex: IW, but it's not looking good at all now. The worst part? I've already pre-ordered it!

vocab

MisterAnderson said:
Nope!
yes

Personally I've had no issues so far. Can't say the same for everyone else unfortunately.

Aside from the server browser not displaying ping properly. It's fine. I've seen worse. Way worse.

Izayoi said:

ehhhh. Maybe with Mirrors Edge, but BC2 wasn't what I call a glorious win for the PC. BF3 is their final shot with me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
vocab said:
Aside from the server browser not displaying ping properly. It's fine. I've seen worse. Way worse.

I find Steam's server browser to crap itself when its refreshing a large amount of servers. For example, the pings reported in History and Favourites seem about right, but when I'm doing a refresh for CS:S servers in Australia the pings are off by a fair bit. Not to mention the list brings up dozens of servers that are very clearly not based in Australia.

JaseC said:
I find Steam's server browser to crap itself when its refreshing a large amount of servers. For example, the pings reported in History and Favourites seem about right, but when I'm doing a refresh for CS:S servers in Australia the pings are off by a fair bit. Not to mention the list brings up dozens of servers that are very clearly not based in Australia.

Yeah honestly whenever I play TF2, 50% of the time refreshing the server list literally seems to overload my router and kills my wireless for a couple of minutes. Sometimes I don't have the problem but sometimes I do, and I've tried fixing it and have been unsuccessful.

I've had no issues with the Crysis 2 gamespy server list so far aside from a ton of 0 ping readings.

Conflict NZ said:
Could someone please make me an account and PM me the details? MyCrysis just doesn't seem to be working for me :(

Do you need a MyCrysis account or something? All I did was create a gamespy account.

Jubbly

vocab said:

You should see Men Of War: Assault Squad's GameSpy integration, it's bloody atrocious.

Jubbly

MisterAnderson said:
Do you need a MyCrysis account or something? All I did was create a gamespy account.

The account creation system in-game is for MyCrysis. You don't need a GameSpy one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How the hell do you get the NAT past moderate? I've opened every port in the readme in my router and it still registers my NAT as moderate.

Also Gamespy so fucking shit. Every European server registers as 0 ping in my browser so I have to scroll past like 200 servers before I get to something I can actually play on. Use the filter to only show North American severs you say? I do that and it shows a whopping 8 servers.

Mad Max

DennisK4 said:

Yeah, it's definitely annoying crytek left that option out. Although I assume it is because they either didn't want a backlash about the game running like shit on very high as with crysis in 2007, or this is the demo build they used to demonstrate the "360 version" of the game with 2 extra graphics settings tacked on.

Still I think that, while the demo is fairly enjoyable, Crytek should really have tried to create a proper PC demo with all the features PC gamers expect. Especially because they are (were?) a PC dev first and foremost.

Can't make an account, second EA PC demo that has failed for me, the last being the Medal of Honour open beta that just wouldn't install because of a stupid punk buster conflict. Hopefully they'll have this fixed by tonight. I'm not going to waste my time trying to get in.

I think a lot of people forget how affluent the high end modding community will be for this game. Stop losing your shit, the same mods will probably transfer over even if Crytek dropped the ball.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
kwZEE.jpg

"System Spec - Advanced, Hardcore, Gamer"
What the fuck does that even mean? Who thought that would be a good idea? I just want the best settings. Would calling them low, medium, high mean they were too easy to understand or something?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My co-worker that lucky bastard just created an account.

hteng

Banned
Liquid Helium said:
What the fuck does that even mean? Who thought that would be a good idea? I just want the best settings. Would calling them low, medium, high mean they were too easy to understand or something?

you are a hardcore advance gamer

or

you are advance gamer

or

you are just a gamer

who are you?

hteng said:
you are a hardcore advance gamer

or

you are advance gamer

or

you are just a gamer

who are you?
I am a Hardcore Extreme Advanced Gamer to the Max™

The game looks great, better than crysis 1 almost, the controls feel okay. The multiplayer feels like a shitty cod ripoff though, I imagine they just threw it in there so they can say "cryengine 3 can do multiplayer"

strata8

jackdoe said:
I like motion blur and DoF. I hate blur resulting from a crappy AA solution that is forced on you.
Can someone please tell me (or show me) where this TAA blur is? It looks sharp as anything on my PC:
c2_shot1.jpg

c2_shot2.jpg

c2_shot3.jpg

c2_shot4.jpg

Gamer settings, by the way.

Mr_Zombie

Liquid Helium said:

This way you won't feel bad when your PC can only do "Gamer" settings ;)

nib95

Banned
NotTarts said:
Can someone please tell me (or show me) where this TAA blur is? It looks sharp as anything on my PC:

Gamer settings, by the way.

Do you play your PC games at 720p? Anyway, those shots look sharp to me, that said, visually I don't think they're class leading or anything. Still look good though, just not mind blowing like would have been expected of a Crysis game. A lot better than the console mess which had jaggies, low AF and low res assets galore.

I thought this was kind of cool, on Pier 17 I randomly caught a skyscraper in the distance blowing up and collapsing. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a screenshot until after the initial explosion but here you can see it falling over way back there.

mbifya.jpg

2j3o6z8.jpg

25zgox1.jpg

Edit: Is Temporal AA the reason for ghosting? Like in the second pic I posted you can see like, a ghost image of the bomber flying out from between those buildings... is that what everyone is complaining about?

BeeDog

Played a couple of games now. For being so fast-paced, I think you die a little bit too fast, even if you're in armor mode. That rooftop level is also a bit too small, which further enhances the issue I have with the health. Though I have to say, the game performs very well while looking great (in my humble opinion).

Also, I would've wished that hip-shooting would be a bit more accurate. As it is now, it feels that you MUST be ADS to even get a kill, which is counter-intuitive since the game's so fast-paced.

strata8

nib95 said:
Do you play your PC games at 720p?
Usually at 1366x768, though with the beefier games I run at 1280x720, which is fine for me (I had to play at 1024x600 on my old PC). I've got a HP Envy 14 with a 1600x900 Radiance screen but the 5650m in it isn't really powerful enough to push most games at full resolution.

nib95 said:
Anyway, those shots look sharp to me, that said, visually I don't think they're class leading or anything. Still look good though, just not mind blowing like would have been expected of a Crysis game. A lot better than the console mess which had jaggies, low AF and low res assets galore.
Well, it certainly looks a lot better than Crysis did in a similar setting.

Top Bottom