• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Demo Comes March 1st [Update: OUT - Press Enter To Begin]

Dreohboy

DenogginizerOS said:
That site says it runs at sub 30 FPS most of the time.

Also states that "Of course, this is an early build of the game, so expect bugs and glitches to be ironed out in the retail version."

....anticipation.

My PC and my 360 are ready.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dreohboy, viral marketer or pyramid scheme website owner? Not quite sure how to attribute the constant bold posts.

dLMN8R

industrialfan225 said:
I don't even get the point of the "push anything to start" thing. It just screams console port. They should have just totally taken it out.
As someone else mentioned, it's a useful way to tell if someone's using a controller or mouse+keyboard, though there are certainly other ways to do that too.

Enosh

looks like the pro perk bonuses are broken atm, where after the game that you get them they stop working

for instance the first upgrade to that +ammo thingy should give you another granade, I still had just one
hope this is fixed in the final release, crytek said they are looking into it

[Nintex]

Enosh said:
looks like the pro perk bonuses are broken atm, where after the game that you get them they stop working

for instance the first upgrade to that +ammo thingy should give you another granade, I still had just one
hope this is fixed in the final release, crytek said they are looking into it
They either fix it or they don't 'looking into it' is like 'lol whatever'

I have a feeling I'm going to hate Nanovision more and more as time goes on, eventually turning into a huge, raging snowball. Like half or more of my deaths are from people with it on and I basically keep it on for 75% of the time. It needs to be severely nerfed and they need to give character models a different color scheme so they're much easier to see, and also nerf cloak. Minus those complaints, this is one of the better multi-player games to come out in a while.

I played on pc and Xbox360 and the nano-vision definitely works different on both platforms.
On Pc you can see literally everyone cloaked across the whole map, thats not the case on 360 though.
You can't really see all that far with it and its not so clear also.

Waaghals said:
Crysis 1 didn't have a poor gamepad emulation, it just didn't have any aim assists.
All good console fps' have some level of aim assist built in. Without it the controls become very unresponsive.
Yes it does. Go play COD, Halo or bad Company 2 and just move the analogue sticks around. In Crysis, they are extremely sluggish and not smooth, whereas they are like butter in the other games. This has nothing to do with aim assist, just analogue smoothness of movement. Of those 3 games I listed, Halo has the most auto aim, followed by COD, followed by BC which barely has any at all.

There are 2 main forms of auto aim- aim assist and magnetism.

Aim Assist basically moves you bullets closer to the target. Say you have you crosshair near someones head but not a dead on headshot. If there was no aim assist, you would miss every time. With aim assist, those bullets are actually going to hit that head, even though that crosshair isn't lined up properly due to aim assist.

Magnetism is when you have your crosshair on someones head, and they move, the crosshair will do a semi "lock-on" of that head/body and move the crosshair with that players movement, without any input from you.

Razor 81 said:
I played on pc and Xbox360 and the nano-vision definitely works different on both platforms.
On Pc you can see literally everyone cloaked across the whole map, thats not the case on 360 though.
You can't really see all that far with it and its not so clear also.
I'm wondering why it isn't implemented like that in the PC version. It should probably be the other way around, if anything.

Tacitus_

Played this for half an hour yesterday after getting through the account creation.

The character is so sluggish it feels like he's submerged in a giant vaselin jar instead of a normal atmosphere.
The controls were so sluggish I couldn't aim properly half of the time and only reasonable tactic seemed to be spray n pray.
And the damn motion blur + bloom made it so I couldn't see shit unless I was almost still.

Ugh. Not getting this before a hefty sale + proper mod support.

LCGeek

formerly sane
JonCha said:
Yeah, I try that and then the delay kicks in which means either you don't get the kill or you realise you're shooting them when you don't need to.

Sucks for you nabs and a few other players so how easily I was pulling them off. I don't lag that bad but from what I see in forums and when I play seems your part of the crowd that has poor registry in the game.

Darkshier you do realize that just about any game using a 360 pad on the pc can modified so shitty analog isn't a problem. I played crysis one with a pad just to get a friend to try and it has no issues to me once I tweaked the analog. Leaving the 360 on default is dumb in windows get a proper driver or emulation program and it's about the best controller next to a saturn pad.

Sh1ner

Noticed a major issue with a logitech G7, assigned mouse keys passed mouse 1 and 2 don't seem to work well. I have set mouse 4 to reload, I got to spam hit that button and then I will see the reload on screen like 3 seconds later. Scroll sideways assignment doesn't work at all even though I have assigned letters on the keyboard via the logitech software.

Was also an issue within Crysis 1.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sh1ner said:
Noticed a major issue with a logitech G7, assigned mouse keys passed mouse 1 and 2 don't seem to work well. I have set mouse 4 to reload, I got to spam hit that button and then I will see the reload on screen like 3 seconds later. Scroll sideways assignment doesn't work at all even though I have assigned letters on the keyboard via the logitech software.

Was also an issue within Crysis 1.

If you're using setipoint drivers don't they mess with games in a dumb with default drives I can use all but two buttons on that and my G5.

Seems the software isn't doing it's job which is rare for setipoint my bad for the dumb suggestion.

RockmanWhore said:
http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/new/crysis-2-ps3-single-player-gameplay-footage/

Off screen PS3 gameplay, you can't tell much about the IQ, but it looks pretty great and seems to run fine. The lighting looks pretty awesome too.

I don't know...

I can't tell if it's the compressed video's fault, but it looks like the framerate got a little choppy around the 1:00 mark. Granted, it wasn't too bad but if it's choaking up in small enclosed spaces like that...

LCGeek said:
Darkshier you do realize that just about any game using a 360 pad on the pc can modified so shitty analog isn't a problem. I played crysis one with a pad just to get a friend to try and it has no issues to me once I tweaked the analog. Leaving the 360 on default is dumb in windows get a proper driver or emulation program and it's about the best controller next to a saturn pad.
Sure, it shouldn't be up to me to handle that though. There are plenty of other developers around who can handle 360 pad emulation on PC just fine. Dead Rising 2, New Vegas, Lead and Gold, all have perfect 360 pad support and I don't need to do anything to make it like that.

There are plenty of games out there to reference controls to, having shitty controls for any game in 2011 is no excuse, kb/m or controller.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Darkshier said:
Sure, it shouldn't be up to me to handle that though. There are plenty of other developers around who can handle 360 pad emulation on PC just fine. Dead Rising 2, New Vegas, Lead and Gold, all have perfect 360 pad support and I don't need to do anything to make it like that.

There are plenty of games out there to reference controls to, having shitty controls for any game in 2011 is no excuse, kb/m or controller.

A part of pc land is ensuring your shit works because most of the time rarely will a developer ensure that, this isn't console land. While the games you mentioned do work there are far more examples of the 360 pad not working as it should out of the box then are of it doing it without problems. The triggers were a joke for both 360pad and the original in windows and required a driver that did them right before they could be used.

Also I was never defending shitty controls just your response to them which by all means doesn't have to be shit.

Sanjay

Dilemma said:
I searched for "youtube" on every page of this thread and couldn't find it. Could you please link it?

I don't know for sure but it was might have been posted in this thread or a similar one, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407378

EviLore said:
Dreohboy, viral marketer or pyramid scheme website owner? Not quite sure how to attribute the constant bold posts.

He believes!

evil solrac v3.0 said:
he sure has been pushing the console version......

There's a PC version?

Nizz

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Meanwhile...(I didnt know where else to put this)

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189750_10150113143626698_655356697_6262870_7678564_n.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54279&highlight=crysis&page=81"]source[/URL][/QUOTE]

Interesting post in that thread by a user named Kagemaru...

[QUOTE]Finally got around to watching that game with dev video I posted before, some interesting things in there.

-[B]Certification reasons was given for the ps3 demo being delayed.[/B]
-360 demo is basically older demo/beta with a patch.
-[B]PS3 demo is same build sent off for final cert.[/B]
-There's a cable in the game that drains energy.
-weapons are tweaked from demo to final release. Scar bouncing changed in full game and you can't use the suppressor.[/QUOTE]
So I guess it's safe to assume that what we get in the PS3 demo is what the final game will be like. Finally get to see if Crytek were truthful in that both console versions will be equal or they're full of shit...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LovingSteam said:
OXM being the key letters. Console owners standards are a bit lower than PC owners.
You say that like MW2 didn't sell like gangbusters on the PC.

Tacitus_ said:
Played this for half an hour yesterday after getting through the account creation.

The character is so sluggish it feels like he's submerged in a giant vaselin jar instead of a normal atmosphere.
The controls were so sluggish I couldn't aim properly half of the time and only reasonable tactic seemed to be spray n pray.
And the damn motion blur + bloom made it so I couldn't see shit unless I was almost still.

Ugh. Not getting this before a hefty sale + proper mod support.
You really have to up your FOV to at least 75. It vastly increases the sense of speed. Almost to the point where it feels like a different game. The framerate needs to be 60+ so drop the res if you have to. Motion blur, vsync, mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration also need to be turned off. I'll post my config later.

Dreohboy

For the record, I'm high on the PC version supporting the 360 controller so well.

I hope the PS3 version is good, but it's not the version I'm going to play from start to finish.

Have never and will never be a fan of WASD.

tygertrip

I am new here, and thought I would add my two cents in. First of all, I think, singleplayer anyway, that Crysis 1 is one of the most, creative, and innovative FPS I've ever played. And I mean from a gameplay perspective. The amazing graphics are just the icing on the cake. Ok, some background. I started gaming when I was 3 or 4 with a cartridgeless pong machine in the late '70s, fell in love with the hobby, and witnessed the industry 'grow up' as I grew up. At least from a consumer's perspective, I've never worked in the industry. I never paid attention to pc gaming though, until I got a computer when I started college, and discovered X-Wing and Wolf3d. There was nothing like these on the consoles! Then Doom came out a few months later, 'nuff said. Don't get me wrong though, I love the consoles too. I love gaming period, and could care less what system it is on.
Whoa, I'm getting long-winded there. Anyway, my point is, I've been console and pc gaming a long time, appreciate all sorts of genres, and when it comes to FPS (and fighting games, but thats a whole 'nuther topic), I've been around. And I was worried that Crysis 2 was going to be dumbed down, graphically and gameplay-wise. Well, if the demo is anything to go by, I was wrong. Man, is it fun! I haven't had this much fun with deathmatch (yes, I know there is more to it than that) since before BF1942 hit the streets! The graphics did not let me down at all, and the image quality, for whatever reason, looks much better than Crysis 1. Some are complaining about mouse lag, but I haven't noticed any. At 1920x1080, I'm getting 60 fps with 3d vision on, and, at least on my system, not a hint of mouse lag. And I hate mouse lag, I would definitely notice it. Triple buffering was on, for those interested in such things.
The 60 fps was a pleasant surprise. What I was really worried about was the suit powers implementation, sounded like they might be nerfed. Well, they are a little different, but not nerfed, at least as far as I can tell. The singleplayer is when the real test will come, b/c this is what Crysis, in my mind, redefined, and has rarely been equaled since. But, going by the mp demo, I think the singleplayer will be just fine. I hope so anyway, I outgrew fanboyism a long time ago, and should know better than to get my hopes up, heh.
TygerTrip

Waaghals said:
Crysis 1 didn't have a poor gamepad emulation, it just didn't have any aim assists.
All good console fps' have some level of aim assist built in. Without it the controls become very unresponsive.

Well for one it had a horrendous control scheme which could not be changed through conventional means. That is one area that has at least been improved in Crysis 2 (sadly to the detriment of KB+M).

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
EviLore said:

Or maybe he's just enjoying the demo, and anticipating the game and while trying to counter all the group mentality of negativity in this thread he overcompensates?

If you're looking forward to a game and like everything you've seen, it's not always fun to read lots of people shitting on it. He should just leave the thread, like most people who are looking forward to this game have, but he's sticking with it! :p

Nizz

sleepykyo said:
The frame rate fell apart in a "corridor" pretty quickly during a light skirmish.
Supposedly the coming PS3 demo will be the same build as the one sent in to final certification according to a video interview a poster at Beyond3d saw. If it still runs like shit, than I guess the final game won't run much better than that vid. Which is disappointing.

Thunderbear said:
Or maybe he's just enjoying the demo, and anticipating the game and while trying to counter all the group mentality of negativity in this thread he overcompensates?

If you're looking forward to a game and like everything you've seen, it's not always fun to read lots of people shitting on it. He should just leave the thread, like most people who are looking forward to this game have, but he's sticking with it! :p

Wow nice psych analysis... I do that too lol. I hate when people completely shit on something I like. "X is horrible, terrible, worst ever"... it's the hyperbole that irks me, it's always awesome or terrible and never in between!

Tacitus_

SapientWolf said:
You really have to up your FOV to at least 75. It vastly increases the sense of speed. Almost to the point where it feels like a different game. The framerate needs to be 60+ so drop the res if you have to. Motion blur, vsync, mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration also need to be turned off. I'll post my config later.

Don't bother, I already uninstalled it. I'll just play Starcraft instead.

Waaghals

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Well for one it had a horrendous control scheme which could not be changed through conventional means. That is one area that has at least been improved in Crysis 2 (sadly to the detriment of KB+M).

I just barely experimented with the 360 controller in crysis., so I don't recall to what extent you could configure the controls. I do believe that the main reason the controls were so bad was due to the lack of any aim assist. (that, and the game in general requiring a lot of speed and precision.)

For the record: I don't have any problem with Crysis2 having aim assist for the controller. But i feel that it may be a bit forgiving and that the mouse controls leave a lot to be desired.
When a gamepad is objectively equal, or superior to, a mouse in a FPS there is something very wrong somewhere.

Game runs great with v-sync "Hardcore" on 1920x1080 for me, and I'm running it on a 4870. Definitely better performance than the original game.

The default control set up is pretty awful compared to the original game. There's no indication on how to "Turn off" your suit powers once you've activated maximum armor/stealth, in the original game you just switched to armor mode to stop the suit drain. I don't think I ever figured this out in the 360 demo either, how do you turn this off?

All in all it's almost impossible to justify picking up the 360 version now, it's got one of the worst aiming systems for a console FPS I've ever played and it runs better for me on PC.

Nabs

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The default control set up is pretty awful compared to the original game. There's no indication on how to "Turn off" your suit powers once you've activated maximum armor/stealth, in the original game you just switched to armor mode to stop the suit drain. I don't think I ever figured this out in the 360 demo either, how do you turn this off?

Just press the button a second time.

To anyone still playing this, I would highly recommend using the config program to disable mouse acceleration. Before doing that, my K/D ratio was about .7. Since I disabled acceleration and expanded the FOV, my K/D ratio has been over 1 in just about every game I've played. The controls actually feel pretty great when acceleration is turned off. Here's a link to the config program: http://rush-zone.com/component/jdownloads/?task=view.download&catid=12&cid=11

spazzfish

TheExodu5 said:
Crysis 2 - Last Gen is Now

I'm not really sure what I mean by that...

Sounds great we should stick it in a box set with DA2 and pass it off as the next gen game bundle that starts when we say so.

I just played the 360 demo, and my god does this game look amazing on 360. Smooth as hell, too. Better looking than Killzone 3 IMO. So I can only imagine how good the PC version looks and runs.

skyfinch

Starting to get the hang of the controls. Was averaging 3 kills per game :p Went 17-8 twice the other day (on the 360). I'm happy considering how much I suck at fps and online games in general.

Will buy.

Top Bottom