• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

sp3000

I'm replaying the second level, and this game feels like a far superior sequel to Crysis 2 rather than the other way around.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just a heads up:

Crysis Maximum edition is going to be on sale at Amazon on the 19th for 7.49$ - 2.49$ with an amazon promo code.

*Promo codes were given to those who purchased games during Amazon's BF sale.

I'm thinking about replaying this now that I've upgraded from a GTX 460 to a 570.

The game actually ran pretty well for me before vanilla, but I was thinking about trying some mods.

Is there a must-have mod or two for making Crysis look really, really good?

I'm thinking about replaying this now that I've upgraded from a GTX 460 to a 570.

The game actually ran pretty well for me before vanilla, but I was thinking about trying some mods.

Is there a must-have mod or two for making Crysis look really, really good?

IMO Rygel's texture pack and possibly the Extreme Particles mod (if you want hyperbolic Hollywood explosion and impact effects)

scitek

IMO Rygel's texture pack and possibly the Extreme Particles mod (if you want hyperbolic Hollywood explosion and impact effects)*

*and half the framerate. :p (well worth it, though)

Yup. Replayed both games just a week ago or so.

I agree for the most part, but Crysis 2 is still a damn good shooter. I think it'll work out for the better in the long run, anyway, since they needed to learn what "optimization" was. Add to that the fact they were actually able to get Crysis running well on consoles and I think their next game will be the true sequel fans wanted.

I agree for the most part, but Crysis 2 is still a damn good shooter. I think it'll work out for the better in the long run, anyway, since they needed to learn what "optimization" was. Add to that the fact they were actually able to get Crysis running well on consoles and I think their next game will be the true sequel fans wanted.

I kinda liked Crysis 2, I'm not a hater :) If only the A.I wasn't glitching all the time...

But I'm not entirely certain that Crysis 3 going back to its roots is a matter of optimization.. :S

Crytek will never make a game as good as the first Crysis again. I'm sure of that.

I really want to replay Crysis soon on Delta difficulty. Never done it all the way through on Delta.

Thrakier

Playing this game with a 560TI. I can't hold 60FPS. I have a problem though. If I use vsync, my frames get locked to 50. As long as I can hold 50 it's fine, but as soon my frame drop a bit I get micro stuttering. Without VSYNC I don't get that stuttering, however I get mad tearing...any solution?

Playing this game with a 560TI. I can't hold 60FPS. I have a problem though. If I use vsync, my frames get locked to 50. As long as I can hold 50 it's fine, but as soon my frame drop a bit I get micro stuttering. Without VSYNC I don't get that stuttering, however I get mad tearing...any solution?

I would say... Lock it at 30fps. I really think it's the best if you're not willing to lower settings. The game has lots of drops you'll never hold those 60 all the time. The game is extremely smooth at 30fps, it really is.

Thrakier

I would say... Lock it at 30fps. I really think it's the best if you're not willing to lower settings. The game has lots of drops you'll never hold those 60 all the time. The game is extremely smooth at 30fps, it really is.

I could also lock it to 40, thought about it. Probably do that. But I wanted to know if it's normal that the game starts stuttering as soon as it doesn't run with vsynced 50 (or without vsync at all, if that matters).

Another thing I noticed is that there is a lot of flickering going on in the tree tops...hard to explain. If you move the mouse around they...flicker.

I could also lock it to 40, thought about it. Probably do that. But I wanted to know if it's normal that the game starts stuttering as soon as it doesn't run with vsynced 50 (or without vsync at all, if that matters).

Another thing I noticed is that there is a lot of flickering going on in the tree tops...hard to explain. If you move the mouse around they...flicker.

Won't it sort of stutter at any number that isn't a multiplier of 30? Not quite sure about the wording there (not my mother tongue) but at anything other than 60/30/15 it'll always sort of stutter as it's not sending frames at a regular interval. It has always got to be like 60/30 = 2, 60/15 = 4, etc. Anyway try 40fps, then if you don't like it use 30fps.

The trees are aliased. Easily Crysis' worst offender. Use Edge AA at max and it'll cut on a lot of the Aliasing on every tree and in result the 'flickering' too. You need to disable FSAA first though. Both don't work together.

Thrakier

Won't it sort of stutter at any number that isn't a multiplier of 30? Not quite sure about the wording there (not my mother tongue) but at anything other than 60/30/15 it'll always sort of stutter as it's not sending frames at a regular interval. It has always got to be like 60/30 = 2, 60/15 = 4, etc. Anyway try 40fps, then if you don't like it use 30fps.

The trees are aliased. Easily Crysis' worst offender. Use Edge AA at max and it'll cut on a lot of the Aliasing on every tree and in result the 'flickering' too. You need to disable FSAA first though. Both don't work together.

It's supposed to stutter, yeah, but it's not noticable on 50 to me. Steady 50 is smooth but it get's jerky as soon as it drops frames. I don't know if you played Deus Ex Human Revolution but it was kinda the same there. It started stuttering as soon it had little drops to 57 or 58 or even went above 60 for a second like 61 or 62, bam, whole screen stuttering. Only perfectly locked 60FPS were smooth. Don't ask me why, it shouldn't be this way.

How do I do that with Edge AA?

Did they ever address the framerate issues on the PS3 version?

I never found it unplayable, but it marred my enjoyment of the game somewhat.

Thrakier

Hm, seems like the triple buffering is the culprit. With regular double buffering the scrolling in the game is smooth. Triple Buffering introduces micro stutter. Weird thing is that the game sometimes has double buffering activated. You go in the menu then, check and uncheck VSYNC, apply and then it's back to TB. Something is definitly buggy here. Had to force VSYNC via driver. So I don't get any stutter anymore at 30, but the game feels quite laggy... :(

Kammie

Probably the best place to ask, because I couldn't find anything concrete...

Is there a fix for the sound crackling/stuttering issue? I'm running Win7 64-bit, but have read it happens even on XP and Vista. I'm using onboard sound, but I tried an external USB soundcard, and the stuttering was even worse. It seems to be worse when I'm in a large area with lots of explosions/gunfire, or on the level loading screens.

Having a blast with the game so far. Just up to the mines. It's my first time playing an FPS with a mouse/keyboard, so I keep getting slaughtered! Most of the time I have to cloak and snipe. lol

Aside frame rate issues mention two posts up, can anyone else their impressions of the PS3 version? I'm thinking of getting it with PS+ discount.

Fucking horrid. I should've asked around before purchasing. Not only will the framerate hurt your eyes but the game's also got some serious contrast or brightness issues. IMO the game can't be enjoyed proper with the limited definition and such a cumbersome framerate.

(I am NOT a PC guy, I'm just giving you my honest 2 cents).

Kammie

I just hit the memory leak in DX10 at the final part. Game locked up on me lol. Dammit Crytek.
Yeah, what the hell is this crap!!! I'm on the final level now and the game skyrockets to over 2GB RAM usage and crashes randomly. On top of that it's not clear what I have to do, so it's trial-and-error coupled with computer lockups. I've already done like 5 hard reboots.

The game was great until the alien ship. I can't believe how conventional, scripted and on-rails it became. On top of that, all the challenge is gone.

Edit: Finished it... wow. What a crappy final level and even crappier ending.... ugh.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So I'm playing Crysis with the CCC 2.1 mod installed, and then I look up and see this:

ibpXF6yfiFHMPd.jpg

Is that what the damn leaves/trees are supposed to look like?

Alrighty,

I'm a recent PC convert, and it feels good. That said, I'm a bit new on all the tweaks needed to things running and looking their best. Any place I can get a run down of all the different AA types, and what's best? I really like the look of those downsampled shots from super high resolution, but I'm not sure my TV will support it.

I recently started Crysis, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it running decently. I should be able to run this baby with all the candy turned on, but it's been pretty choppy so far. I'm running a 990x with dual GTX 590s in SLI, and 12gigs of RAM. Also, I'm only running at 1080p, so things should be running much smoother than they are. Hell, my old rig ran Crysis better and it only had one 4870x2.

Also, I haven't decided on a decent monitor yet, so I'm using my HDTV for gaming on my PC. Whenever I start Crysis, as soon as I change the resolution in game to my TVs native resolution, everything gets ugly. It switches to 1920x1080 @24hz. Screen tearing gets really bad, and my frame rate bombs. If I switch it to windowed mode, it runs perfectly fine?

Okay, sorry to ask a million questions, but I could use a pointer or two.

This game is fucking tense as hell on Delta if you're doing it stealthy. I've been crawling through the bushes for minutes, the soundtrack blaring out, and I'm scared shitless that there's one pesky Korean walking about that I haven't spotted.

Thrakier

I'm now playing Crysis Warhead. It seems they developed some sort of smear filter which looks terrible. Is it just me? Looks weird. I think it may realted to the postprocessing but I'm nut sure. It does look less sharp than Crysis.

Could anyone point me to the best settings between performance/Visual quality? I'm playing with a 560TI and would like to have 60FPS most of the time. I actually think the game doesn't have much aliasing even without FSAA, that's quite surprising.

domlolz

Banned
I completed crysis for the first time a few months ago and really did not enjoy it. outside of the graphics it's a really mediocre game and some of the later levels are just bad. It makes a good first impression with the first few areas and just gets worse as it goes on, I just couldn't wait to finish it as i wasn't enjoying it all, I had to force myself to finish it.

Thrakier

I completed crysis for the first time a few months ago and really did not enjoy it. outside of the graphics it's a really mediocre game and some of the later levels are just bad. It makes a good first impression with the first few areas and just gets worse as it goes on, I just couldn't wait to finish it as i wasn't enjoying it all, I had to force myself to finish it.

Weird, I had the exact opposite experience. In the end I was graving for more after I really understood how to play the game.

Thrakier

Guys, got a new card 660TI and I think I can run the game on very high settings now with 4xMSAA. My 60FPS are stable TILL I get shot. Same in Warfare. When I get shot, my framerate drops. But I can't find the setting which is responsible for that. Any ideas?

Thrakier

Guys, got a new card 660TI and I think I can run the game on very high settings now with 4xMSAA. My 60FPS are stable TILL I get shot. Same in Warfare. When I get shot, my framerate drops. But I can't find the setting which is responsible for that. Any ideas?

Well...since that got bumped anyway...anyone has an answer??

Top Bottom