• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the required specs

..::THREAD REVIVE://////////

maximum game!
after a few years of owning the game, i finally started playing it and wow, it does so much so well. of course the game is a struggle to tweak to get it moving perfectly, or in my case, to even start.

the menus are all black, but i can see the red cursor, so i work from memory the sequence to use to launch my save game and its all ok from there.
question:
how do you remove the system info from the top right of the screen, its pretty annoying.

THAT cutscene after the bridge was great, its a shame the character animation isnt perfect. those hands and faces are very jarring, but it was a nice character piece.
VERY bizare that they didnt continue the pathos, Sikes speaks to his signaller as though nothing had happened in normal conversational tones...

anything interesting the custom configs or the last few months? anything to rival Real Lifesis?

My roomate and I have been playing this for the last day or so and we've been consistently blown away. Neither of us have played the first gane, so we dont have a fucking clue what's going on or why we have to exterminate wave after wave of confused Koreans, but all that's beside the point:the game is excellent. I'm most impressed with how it takes and one ups a dozen different genre elements less ambitious developers use as a selling point for their games. The part with the aliens and the hovercraft one ups what whole franchises have tried to pull off, the shit is just fucking silly.
And Warhead is supposed to be the LESSER of the two Crysis games? I find that hard to swallow, especially with the stories I've heard about Crysis vanilla's bugs. Either way, I cant believe what I've been missing out on for four years. All that propaganda against this franchise seems like such a vulgar joke now, "sterile" "lifeless" "boring art" "tech demo", just shameless fabrication.

matmanx1

Finished Warhead today. I know, I know, really LTTP on this one but I picked it up during the Steam Holiday sale and had some other games to finish before I jumped into Warhead.

The whole experience was a blast and I was genuinely sorry when it ended 5'ish hours later. I felt like the action was more consistent than in vanilla Crysis and Warhead definitely runs better than vanilla did. I had some weird issues where I couldn't go above 1280x720 resolution (might be my TV, although I run most other games at 1920x1080) but with my 4GHz i5 2500k and HD 6970 I was able to max out pretty much everything else and run the game very smoothly. And of course it goes without saying that even at the resolution I was running at the game is flat out gorgeous.

Using the suit powers to wreck everything around you was just as good as vanilla Crysis and I enjoyed jumping in and out of vehicles and generally blowing everything I found sky high. I hope Crysis 2 is able to match Warhead's excellence and doesn't tarnish the series because right now I consider both games to be up there with the best fps's I've played.

Curufinwe

I'm waiting for it to drop to $10 on Steam again before getting it. I didn't want to buy from the EA Store because of their limited download policy.

jackdoe

Ogs said:
Pretty sure they dont have one anymore (for a long long time).
Yeah. I don't remember reading anything close to that when I got Dragon Age Awakenings. Ubi's store has a limited download policy though.

Curufinwe

Hmm, maybe I should have got it from EA last week then. Oh well.

I already have their EA Dwonload Manager software on my PC because when I bought The Sims 3 for my wife two years ago my disc drive couldn't read the DVD, so I had to download the whole game from them. It's literally the only DVD my computer has ever been unable to read.

Thinking back on Crysis Warhead, is it just me or is the cutscene editing bewildering? Just lots off odd choices in shots, lingering too long in weird places with little to no sound, music, or dialogue. I think of the scenes near the end with the Korean boss guy in particular.

Grayman

Curufinwe said:
Hmm, maybe I should have got it from EA last week then. Oh well.

I already have their EA Dwonload Manager software on my PC because when I bought The Sims 3 for my wife two years ago my disc drive couldn't read the DVD, so I had to download the whole game from them. It's literally the only DVD my computer has ever been unable to read.
Crysis and Warhead go on sale at the various DD stores from time to time.

LaserBuddha said:
Thinking back on Crysis Warhead, is it just me or is the cutscene editing bewildering? Just lots off odd choices in shots, lingering too long in weird places with little to no sound, music, or dialogue. I think of the scenes near the end with the Korean boss guy in particular.

They were crap, plain and simple :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
LaserBuddha said:
The cutscenes in Warhead are indeed horrible. It was totally amateur hour at Crytek (literally. it was a brand new studio). The pacing, tension, dialogue, music, everything was off, and nothing was consistent or made much sense.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
LaserBuddha said:

Yes, the cutscenes are totally bizarre.

Dennis

Banned
belier said:
Where can I find good configs for this game?

Just bought it for 10€ on EADM...
The configs are the same as for Crysis. They should be pretty easy to find.

I mixed and matched from the Extreme Quality 1.34 and Ultra high config 1.3.1 configs

belier

DennisK4 said:
The configs are the same as for Crysis. They should be pretty easy to find.

I mixed and matched from the Extreme Quality 1.34 and Ultra high config 1.3.1 configs

Thx a lot! Moving to Crysis thread...

strata8

luka said:
The cutscenes in Warhead are indeed horrible. It was totally amateur hour at Crytek (literally. it was a brand new studio). The pacing, tension, dialogue, music, everything was off, and nothing was consistent or made much sense.
I really liked the dialogue in the first level. O'Neill arguing with central command and all that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
LaserBuddha said:

haha, I liked cutscenes just because they were like that!

Just had to add the title of the thread is fantastic. Any/all Dr/ Strangelove references ftw! (I mean, it IS literally the best film you have NEVER seen)

Finally got around to playing this game. I was super excited after finishing Crysis last weekend, but I have a bug that is ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Whenever I get to a marsh tree I get this really weird white dots/artifacts. Looking around online hasn't revealed a solution. This only happens on DX10 mode.

Please halp PC-GAF, you are my only hope.

Top Bottom