• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the required specs

362.jpg

secondpost.jpg

third.jpg

4th.jpg

5th.jpg

5t6.jpg

bah!

My Steam D/L is finally finished so fuck this shit, everybody carry on with the thread post your impressions, ask questions and whatnot.

I'll update the OP after I finish the game.

Zzoram

OMG, this might be the best official thread OP I've ever seen. It suits Warhead, the best looking game ever seen :D

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
OMG, this might be the best official thread OP I've ever seen. It suits Warhead, the best looking game ever seen :D

Yeah, OP is pretty awesome. By the way, did you try 8.9 yet? I have the same setup as you, it seems, and I was hoping for 30 fps or so at least on enthusiast (but I have a 4850 so I'll probably get crappy fps AND a melted computer).

I'm tempted to try the new Catalyst but I wanted to see if anyone had impressions. *kicks Warhead download into gear again*

Teknoman

Gene plus crazy Crysis are work = :D

Though im still worried if I can run the game on High at 1280x1024 with a Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 2 gigs of ram, and a Radeon 2900pro 512MB...with a decent steady framerate.

ezekial45

Banned
Is there something wrong with my specs?

1022MB ram (2 x 512mb ram) --- Planning on upgrading to 2 X 1GB ram
NVIDIA Geforce 6800 - with 256 video ram (PCI-Express) - Planning on upgrading to 8800GT
2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.19 GHz Performance Rated at 4.79 GHz

I was planning upgrading most of these, but i learned that the dimension 8400 isn't worth upgrading. Anyone care to elaborate?

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:

NVIDIA Geforce 6800 - with 256 video ram (PCI-Express) - Planning on upgrading to 8800GT

I was planning upgrading most of these, but i learned that the dimension 8400 isn't worth upgrading. Anyone care to elaborate?

The Pentium 4 is pretty bleh but will work. You have a PCI-e x16 slot for that 8800GT right? With your upgrade plan, you could run Warhead on High at 1440x900 pretty well.

I am having issues just getting started. I played Crysis on my old 4:3 monitor but have since changed to a 16:10 monitor and now Warhead is fucked up and I can't even begin the damn game or change video settings because the mouse cursor is all fucked up.

Is there anyway to return everything back to default so I can actually play it?

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
Yeah, OP is pretty awesome. By the way, did you try 8.9 yet? I have the same setup as you, it seems, and I was hoping for 30 fps or so at least on enthusiast (but I have a 4850 so I'll probably get crappy fps AND a melted computer).

I'm tempted to try the new Catalyst but I wanted to see if anyone had impressions. *kicks Warhead download into gear again*

I was just looking around and some German site showed that 8.9 is slightly better at running Crysis (original) than 8.8 was. I'm going to update. It gained 2 fps avg, which is not bad considering it was a gain of 2fps on 22fps at 1680x1050 very high.

Zzoram

Linkzg said:
I am having issues just getting started. I played Crysis on my old 4:3 monitor but have since changed to a 16:10 monitor and now Warhead is fucked up and I can't even begin the damn game or change video settings because the mouse cursor is all fucked up.

I didn't have that issue and I'm on a 16:10 22" LCD. It just started in windowed mode for me.

ezekial45 said:

I would not recommend that you upgrade. Your CPU (and likely your motherboard) is ancient. Do not get thrown of by the x.xghz as Core 2 Duo at the same speed would eclipse a P4. Best for you to just by a new PC, in my opinion, since the CPU is going to bottleneck any GPU you throw at it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Linkzg said:

Is there anyway to return everything back to default so I can actually play it?

While in the window, hold ALT and press enter.

Zzoram said:
I didn't have that issue and I'm on a 16:10 22" LCD. It just started in windowed mode for me.

It is starting out full screen for me. Is there a way to get it to start in window mode so I can sort this stuff out?

Kadey said:
While in the window, hold ALT and press enter.

I'll try this. Preemptive 'Thanks' in case it works .

ezekial45

Banned
Zzoram said:
The Pentium 4 is pretty bleh but will work. You have a PCI-e x16 slot for that 8800GT right? With your upgrade plan, you could run Warhead on High at 1440x900 pretty well.

Thats correct. I can't afford to buy a new comp at this time and i only have enough cash to buy some parts for the upgrades. I'm just worried that the Pentium 4 hinder the performance of the upgraded ram and 8800GT so much, that i'll have wasted cash just purchasing them. I'd go buy 4gbs of ram, but i only have windows xp 32-bit and it won't register.

EDIT:

CabbageRed said:
I would not recommend that you upgrade. Your CPU (and likely your motherboard) is ancient. Do not get thrown of by the x.xghz as Core 2 Duo at the same speed would eclipse a P4. Best for you to just by a new PC, in my opinion, since the CPU is going to bottleneck any GPU you throw at it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!!!!

Zeliard

Linkzg said:
It is starting out full screen for me. Is there a way to get it to start in window mode so I can sort this stuff out?

Try pressing alt+enter after it starts up in full screen, if you can.

Edit: taken to the woodshed

Linkzg said:

I'll try this. Preemptive 'Thanks' in case it works .
Hit Alt+Enter when in game to switch to windowed mode and vice versa.

Xdrive05

Awesome thread, op. Crysis Wars is godlike confirmed. Just in case anyone was wondering. Very fun TDM game. The suit really makes it.

dLMN8R

I figured I'd post this in this thread too, in case anyone missed it in the first:

Alright so here goes. Just for your info, my current hardware is:

Opteron 165
2GB PC3200
8800GT

I played through the vast majority of the first Crysis at 1680x1050, everything set to High, averaging around 15-20fps on intense levels like Assault. Not the prettiest frame rate, but playable.

I load up Crysis Warhead, at first I'm really worried. I was at the same settings - Gamer (replaced High) - and 1680x1050, no AA. My hard drive is chugging like mad, I get major stutters around every turn, and even when it smooths out, I'm lucky to get above 20.

Then I switched to DX9.

For whatever reason, even though the original Crysis gave me better performance in DX10 than DX9, the opposite's true here. I added the -DX9 flag to the shortcut in Steam, viola.

Now, the beginning of the first level, which heavily reminds me of Assault, runs much smoother around 20-25FPS and far fewer stutters. By the time things quieted down, I was easily averaging around 25fps - often hitting 30, almost never going below 20.

All in all, I'm impressed. I'll have to play more later, but for now, their claims of optimization are 100% true!

okay... game is running worse for me at the same settings. i can't see a 64 bit version installed either... which i'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

did they drop the 64 bit version? if so why? if it's still there, where is it? there's no bin64 folder like crysis had.

EGM92

Compared to Crysis, how much better does this run? I'll be running it on my laptop, Crysis ran on med/low with my laptop overclocked.

Blizzard

Banned
Only at 71%. ;_;

I also wanted to give the OP kudos for the thread title. I never saw the movie, but who else gets the reference? :D

Xdrive05

dLMN8R said:
I figured I'd post this in this thread too, in case anyone missed it in the first:

Alright so here goes. Just for your info, my current hardware is:

Opteron 165
2GB PC3200
8800GT

I played through the vast majority of the first Crysis at 1680x1050, everything set to High, averaging around 15-20fps on intense levels like Assault. Not the prettiest frame rate, but playable.

I load up Crysis Warhead, at first I'm really worried. I was at the same settings - Gamer (replaced High) - and 1680x1050, no AA. My hard drive is chugging like mad, I get major stutters around every turn, and even when it smooths out, I'm lucky to get above 20.

Then I switched to DX9.

For whatever reason, even though the original Crysis gave me better performance in DX10 than DX9, the opposite's true here. I added the -DX9 flag to the shortcut in Steam, viola.

Now, the beginning of the first level, which heavily reminds me of Assault, runs much smoother around 20-25FPS and far fewer stutters. By the time things quieted down, I was easily averaging around 25fps - often hitting 30, almost never going below 20.

All in all, I'm impressed. I'll have to play more later, but for now, their claims of optimization are 100% true!

I have the same system, but more RAM. Is your CPU overclocked? I'm running mine at 2.7, which I suppose helps. I wasn't brave enough to try 16x10, but I got 30-45fps when running at 12x8, in Enthusiast no less. If you can stand that resolution it's worth it for the fps.

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Thats correct. I can't afford to buy a new comp at this time and i only have enough cash to buy some parts for the upgrades. I'm just worried that the Pentium 4 hinder the performance of the upgraded ram and 8800GT so much, that i'll have wasted cash just purchasing them. I'd go buy 4gbs of ram, but i only have windows xp 32-bit and it won't register.

EDIT:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!!!!

Dont listen to him. My friend plays Crysis on High with an 8800GT and 2GB RAM and Pentium 4 and it runs pretty well. You can turn shadows and water down to Medium and it'll be better. He plays at 1440x900 and it's ok.

Core 2 Duo is obviously better, but a Pentium 4 doesn't bottleneck the 8800GT as much as you would expect.

Blizzard

Banned
plagiarize said:
okay... game is running worse for me at the same settings. i can't see a 64 bit version installed either... which i'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

did they drop the 64 bit version? if so why? if it's still there, where is it? there's no bin64 folder like crysis had.

They decided that 32 bits was enough for anyone. You kids and your fancy computers.

But seriously, other people said the same thing. I didn't even know games had 64-bit binaries. If they do an update that'd be nice...I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I just need to figure out how to make my ep35-ds3l motherboard stop throttling my CPU down. >_> The temperature is cool on it, at least. My 4850 needs to take lessons.

Zzoram

plagiarize said:

64-bit is being patched in later, which is why people who play Vista x64 Crysis Warhead may not be getting optimal performance.

Xdrive05

plagiarize said:

Force DX9 mode from the shortcut then enjoy.

and EGM92, yes, the difference is actually even noticeable and not just by looking at the fps counter either.

Xdrive05

Has anyone blown up a chopper yet? JESUS CRYSIS! It's the most amazing explosion ever, followed by a smoke whirl from where the blades are turning... holy schnikeys!

Zzoram said:
64-bit is being patched in later, which is why people who play Vista x64 Crysis Warhead may not be getting optimal performance.
boo hiss.

i'll try dx9. i had to run some levels of crysis in dx9 to get good performance (ice stuff... ship in rain stuff). still looked amazing, but i was hoping i wouldn't need to drop down to dx9 this time after talk of optimisation. the bump mapping on the floor is the main thing i hate to lose. it's just so incredible at the highest settings.

Zzoram

I find that Catalyst 8.9 does indeed improve performance over 8.7 and other people have said it's better than 8.8 as well. It's about a 10% performance increase.

All you HD4800s, update to 8.9 pronto.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
CabbageRed said:
I think he said he had two P4s at that clock speed. I think he's good.

Xdrive05

plagiarize said:
boo hiss.

i'll try dx9. i had to run some levels of crysis in dx9 to get good performance (ice stuff... ship in rain stuff). still looked amazing, but i was hoping i wouldn't need to drop down to dx9 this time after talk of optimisation. the bump mapping on the floor is the main thing i hate to lose. it's just so incredible at the highest settings.

You don't lose anything to DX9 in this game, other than apparently the Object motion blurring. It'll look exactly the same and run a lot better. Crysis 1 was of course not like that as you just explained. :)

Something is just really off about my experience with this so far compared to Crysis. It runs more smooth, but there is horrible pop in all around (This is running in Gamer and I ran Crysis on High). Load time from game to menu is incredibly long and seems to lock up my computer. While doing weapon customization, the game freezes for a good 20 seconds before and getting out of the whole interface. I don't know what the whole problem is, but I didn't have any issues like this with Crysis.

BobsRevenge said:
I think he said he had two P4s at that clock speed. I think he's good.

I could be wrong but I believe we are talking about an HT CPU and nothing more. At the very least, more research is warrented.

Edit: Less research then. I'm sticking with what I said earlier but at least you are PCI-E so your new card can move with you.

Edit 2: Edit'eder: If you are on a Dell Dimension 8400, I really think you should first buy a decent Core2Duo and matching motherbaord (the Dell is LGA775 but I would trust it since it was made for P4s). Your RAM and all other parts will fit into you new mobo fine and you'll have a sturdy base to upgrade from.

Teknoman

Zzoram said:

Wait so it'll actually perform worse than if I was using the 32bit version of Vista, or it just wont see any benefits from 64 bit yet?

ezekial45

Banned
CabbageRed said:
I could be wrong but I believe we are talking about an HT CPU and nothing more. At the very least, more research is warrented.

Edit: Less research then. I'm sticking with what I said earlier but at least you are PCI-E so your new card can move with you.

Again, buying a new comp is out of the question at this time. I only really have enough to buy upgrades.

Top Bottom