• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the required specs

Zzoram

So 1680x1050 Enthusiast just isn't working out for me, I'd rather get my avg fps solidly into the 35 range, so I think I'll have to drop to Gamer. Kinda disappointing really, something may be bottlenecking my HD4870, maybe my E8400 @ 3.2ghz?

1680x1050 @ Gamer (except for Objects at Enthusiast due to DX10) is solidly 35fps, up to 44 when not fighting, into the 20s for explosions. That actually means performance is equal to what Crysis should be from the old benchmarks, so it doesn't seem any better optimized. Maybe they really only did optimize it further for nVidia cards.

Zzoram said:
So 1680x1050 Enthusiast just isn't working out for me, I'd rather get my avg fps solidly into the 35 range, so I think I'll have to drop to Gamer. Kinda disappointing really, something may be bottlenecking my HD4870, maybe my E8400 @ 3.2ghz?

That is a shame, but you are not alone http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726621 . Hopefully tomorrow there will be enough people checking their FPS on 48xx hardware so we can get a better picture of how the average 48xx PC should perform with Warhead.

ezekial45

Banned
CabbageRed said:
Edit 2: Edit'eder: If you are on a Dell Dimension 8400, I really think you should first buy a decent Core2Duo and matching motherbaord (the Dell is LGA775 but I would trust it since it was made for P4s). Your RAM and all other parts will fit into you new mobo fine and you'll have a sturdy base to upgrade from.

Jesus, this is getting more expensive then i thought. I only planned on spending somewhere around $200 ($300 at the most). This is one of the things i hate about PC gaming.

EDIT: Won't i have to buy a new version of windows as well? Since it's tied to the mobo.

Zzoram

CabbageRed said:
That is a shame, but you are not alone http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726621 . Hopefully tomorrow there will be enough people checking their FPS on 48xx hardware so we can get a better picture of how the average 48xx PC should perform with Warhead.

I wonder if it's a broken DX10 implementation, or if it's the lack of x64 binaries, or just something else. A guy with a 9800GX2 claims to be getting the same performance that we HD4870 people are showing. The game looks better than Crysis, but doesn't seem to be running better, at least not for us. It runs about the same on High(Gamer).

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Jesus, this is getting more expensive then i thought. I only planned on spending somewhere around $200 ($300 at the most). This is one of the things i hate about PC gaming.

Just get the 8800GT, and don't bother with your whole rig til later. The 8800GT with a Pentium 4 works fine.

*sigh* I have the same problem here as I did in the original. The framerate is fine. Everytime I do anything interesting though (such as turn), the game hangs for a second or two. The original was fixed by custom CFG's to the point where it almost never hangs anymore. What is it that crytek puts in their damn configs that makes it hang for me.

aznpxdd

A little OT, but I got a 24" monitor recently and I was 100% sure I couldn't run Crysis at 1920x1200 and get a playable FPS. To my surprise, my OC'd 8800GT and e8400 actually got the job done! I'm playing it at 1920x1200 with the CCC config on Med-High and holy shit Crysis looks great and I'm staying around 25 FPS!

Blizzard

Banned
:( Sad news, then, if the ATI cards turn out not to be awesome after all (i.e. Warhead was only optimized for nVidia). I'll try my crappy e8400+HD4850 setup momentarily...

Is anyone else having problems with this? I tried with both DX9 and DX10, and both have had tons of problems. I don't get what the problem is since this is the exact same computer I used to play Crysis flawlessly, but now it is constantly freezing up and having issues. Could it be a problem with the iinstallation?

Teknoman

Cant wait till more PC centric review sites release performance comparisons. Crysis demo performed decently at high detail for me...and since the retail version of that was supposed to perform better, im willing to bet warhead will be perfect...but I could be wrong.

epmode

Teknoman said:
Crysis demo performed decently at high detail for me...and since the retail version of that was supposed to perform better
This is definitely true. I finally grabbed the full version of Crysis. It's a pretty noticible improvement over the demo framerate.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Are you doing 1680x1050 Enthusiast everything with a GTX260 and getting 35fps avg? The HD4870s seem to not benefit from the Warhead optimizations, and neither does the 9800GX2.

I am, but the one thing that was dropped is shadows. Those are at gamer.

Edit: I should mention that I also have a super-tweaked system. Here's my little secret:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Yes, he's a complete nerd and I'd never want to meet him, but his site is very useful.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
:( Sad news, then, if the ATI cards turn out not to be awesome after all (i.e. Warhead was only optimized for nVidia). I'll try my crappy e8400+HD4850 setup momentarily...

ATI cards are still awesome, but the reason I buy Nvidia is due to their developer relations. I know some people detest what they do, but I think those people probably just detest capitalism. :D

Also, keep in mind that the GT200 series has a larger framebuffer than the 4850 amd 4870. Sure, there's the odd 1gb 4870/4850 laying around, but how many really have them? I'd be interested to see if that has any impact.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, starting up with my earphones plugged into the HDA output, I have this varying-pitched whine in my earphones. >_> Any ideas? I'm assuming it's interference or something. Sound works fine otherwise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
Okay, starting up with my earphones plugged into the HDA output, I have this varying-pitched whine in my earphones. >_> Any ideas? I'm assuming it's interference or something. Sound works fine otherwise.

Onboard sound?

Guled said:
how can I switch to DX9, i don't see an option in the menu?
easiest way is to open up the games bit in your start menu and right click on warhead. you'll see a dx 9 option.

i took a bunch of screens comparing dx10 and dx9 and while there are certainly some differences, i couldn't really say one way or another which was 'better'. so i'm certainly happy enough with the 25 to 35 fps i'm getting at 1920 x 1200 with everything on enthusiast (i always used to have to drop shadows to medium in the original). if the 64 bit version improves things even more, i'm even happier... but yeah, i'm happy now having done the comparisons to convince myself that i'm really not missing out on anything much by playing dx9 (though i do miss the motion blur... it certainly isn't worth losing more than half my frame rate).

ezekial45 said:

EDIT: Won't i have to buy a new version of windows as well? Since it's tied to the mobo.

I'm half asleep so I haven't really dug deep (Gigabyte Mobos have treated me well) but:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

would be excellent for you. Even this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115132

would represent a huge leap over your current set up, and give you plenty of breathing room for GPU upgrades sans bottleneck. I believe that there are 8800GTs floating around that sell for ~100 which would mean that you'd basicly have a new PC (performance-wise) for $300-350.

As for Vista, MS has never once given me trouble over a motherboard switch with my OEM copy, but I have no idea if the Dell's Vista keys would gum up the works.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Onboard sound?

Yep. I don't hear the sound now. Tried to start a single-player game with 1280x720, and it went to a black screen and crashed/froze. Sweet! :D

*edit* Worked, with music, when I restarted the game. Trying to find how to show FPS now...the opening video was awesome, but the gameplay is a bit slow with the smoke.

Blizzard said:

Do it in dx9. Don't even try dx10. dx10 is ABYSMAL. dx9 is GLORIOUS. The difference is phenomenal in terms of performance. dx9 actually looks a little better too because they really overdid the ambient occlusion in dx10.

I was just running on all max except shadows (on high...very little IQ difference) and motion blur (on medium, very little IQ difference), at 1680x1050 and it was COMPLETELY playable.

one thing i did notice that seemed to be missing in dx 9 was the rainbow effect in the water. again, not something i notice during gameplay, but one of my favourite effects in the original.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
plagiarize said:
one thing i did notice that seemed to be missing in dx 9 was the rainbow effect in the water. again, not something i notice during gameplay, but one of my favourite effects in the original.

You can get that in DX9, just try to find the value for it and type it in the console.

plagiarize said:

It's there. It's subtle but I'm almost positive I saw it. Object motion blur is not however. That I DO miss.

Blizzard

Banned
plagiarize said:
easiest way is to open up the games bit in your start menu and right click on warhead. you'll see a dx 9 option.

i took a bunch of screens comparing dx10 and dx9 and while there are certainly some differences, i couldn't really say one way or another which was 'better'. so i'm certainly happy enough with the 25 to 35 fps i'm getting at 1920 x 1200 with everything on enthusiast (i always used to have to drop shadows to medium in the original). if the 64 bit version improves things even more, i'm even happier... but yeah, i'm happy now having done the comparisons to convince myself that i'm really not missing out on anything much by playing dx9 (though i do miss the motion blur... it certainly isn't worth losing more than half my frame rate).

I don't see that option when rightclicking...

Demigod Mac

This one in 32-bit performs about as well as the original in 64-bit. So I'm hopeful that the 64-bit version of Warhead will be even better.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, JSnake, I'm running a 3.0 GHz e8400 and a VisionTek HD 4850. Vista home premium 64-bit, 4 GB RAM.

For the intro part with smoke and fire and everything, I'm getting around 20 fps using 1280x720 resolution full screen. It feels a bit sluggish. I'd use DX9 if I could figure out how to change over to it...I may also downgrade a few settings to Gamer instead of Enthusiast.

CPU temperature seems to have remained 40-45 C, which is great, but the 4850 is running 70-75 C with 50% fan. ;_; My motherboard will probably die in a week or something.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I pray to god they optimized for quad cores. It pisses me off that I have all this extra unused juice with the majority of my new games. Multithreaded programming is proving to be a lot harder to take advantage than I had assumed.

Blizzard said:
Okay, JSnake, I'm running a 3.0 GHz e8400 and a VisionTek HD 4850. Vista home premium 64-bit, 4 GB RAM.

For the intro part with smoke and fire and everything, I'm getting around 20 fps using 1280x720 resolution full screen. It feels a bit sluggish. I'd use DX9 if I could figure out how to change over to it...I may also downgrade a few settings to Gamer instead of Enthusiast.

CPU temperature seems to have remained 40-45 C, which is great, but the 4850 is running 70-75 C with 50% fan. ;_; My motherboard will probably die in a week or something.

If you're using STEAM, right click the icon and go to properties and "set launch options". Then add "-dx9" without the quotes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:

70C is fine load.

Up the resolution.

Blizzard

Banned
Upped fan to 55%, used -dx9 (thanks! I also found it another thread...stupid me)

Getting 25-30 fps most of the time now, 60-65C GPU. Shooting bushes = amazing. Creepy shadows = yikes.

I get the feeling that DX9 doesn't look as good as DX10 but I'm not sure what exactly is different. I figured I'd hate blur, but motion blur makes turning work great.

*edit thread spam* Full 1680x1200 or whatever resolution works at around 20-25 fps, but it's not quite good enough for firefights...time to find settings that I can turn down..slightly. :D

Yeah so the snow level where
you drive the motorboat around still rapes my computer..... :(

Beyond that though it plays wonderfully.

This game rocks so hard. Nice job OP.

Edit: Okay WTF. I open up Steam and it says the game isn't installed... Anybody have any suggestions?

Zzoram

1680x1050 Gamer DX10 is still ~35fps avg, but it dips heavily during cutscenes, not sure why. It's still very playable as is, dropping into the 20s for big battles, but I'd like it to be smoother than this. This is how Crysis was supposed to perform on an HD4870, not Warhead. Pretty annoying how nVidia skewed those optimizations were.

dLMN8R

Crysis Wars impressed me too. Played a few rounds of team deathmatch - everything runs a lot smoother of course, but the weapons feel nice too. I love using the suit powers to cloak, jump around, etc. The levels never seemed designed well enough in the first game.

Zzoram

Actually, it seems that everyone is giving very mixed reports. Some people claim it runs WORSE than Crysis, others say it's the SAME, and some people did in fact find it BETTER.

The only thing that's for sure is that it looks better. I think the only people reporting that it works better are on Windows XP, so maybe they only improved DX9 32-bit performance.

ezekial45 said:
Thats correct. I can't afford to buy a new comp at this time and i only have enough cash to buy some parts for the upgrades. I'm just worried that the Pentium 4 hinder the performance of the upgraded ram and 8800GT so much, that i'll have wasted cash just purchasing them. I'd go buy 4gbs of ram, but i only have windows xp 32-bit and it won't register.

EDIT:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!!!!

What's the story with your processor? Is it actually a Pentium D? As that's dual core and @3.2ghz wouldn't be too bad. Download CPU-z and throw up a screenshot, as if you've got a Pentium D, adding an etra gig of RAM and an 8800gt might not be a bad upgrade imo.

Edit: Oh its a HT processor? Forget about it then, new PC or bust I'm afraid, you'd just be sinking wasted cash into that old rig, the pentium 4 really is a relic nowadays. Any $30 CPU will run laps around it.

dLMN8R

Zzoram said:
Actually, it seems that everyone is giving very mixed reports. Some people claim it runs WORSE than Crysis, others say it's the SAME, and some people did in fact find it BETTER.

The only thing that's for sure is that it looks better. I think the only people reporting that it works better are on Windows XP, so maybe they only improved DX9 32-bit performance.
I'm guess that most people who say it runs worse are doing so in the default DX10 mode, not DX9.

Blizzard said:

Those GPU temps are totally fine, anything under 90C is really nothing to worry about, they don't start throttling until something past 100C.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jesus Crysis!

Sorry to hear that some of you aren't finding the optimizations to be all that, because this game is beautiful and when couple with a steady framerate...wow.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So um, my PC is a piece shit and I've just been talked out of buying a laptop for gaming (thanks Zzoram).

Would this PC package be good enough to run both Crysis games at enthusiast settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227089

What are the best video cards out there anyway? I have no idea if the nVidia GTX 260 is better or worse than a 9800, which is better or worse than an 8800 GTX etc.

I've been out of the PC upgrading game for soooo long now and honestly it's been pretty nice. But since I want to get a new PC (for music comp. and games), I might as well shoot for something beefy.

Thanks.

Oh well, I was hoping to crash out with Warhead d/l'ing in the background but it is not to be. Hopefully I'll wake up to happy DRM news and will be able to join in on the fun.

BTW: Concerning GPU temps on a 48xx: The primary GPU on my card pops into the 90's at times without giving me trouble so I wouldn't worry, Blizzard.

Top Bottom