• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the required specs

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
What are the best video cards out there anyway? I have no idea if the nVidia GTX 260 is better or worse than a 9800, which is better or worse than an 8800 GTX etc.

Best cards in terms of power:

1. Radeon 4870X2
2. Geforce 9800GX2 / GTX 280 (tie)
3. GTX 260 216 Core Version
4. GTX 260 192 Core / Radeon 4870 (tie)
5. Radeon 4850
6. Geforce 9800GTX

chespace said:
Would this PC package be good enough to run both Crysis games at enthusiast settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227089

Yes.

Zzoram said:
Actually, it seems that everyone is giving very mixed reports. Some people claim it runs WORSE than Crysis, others say it's the SAME, and some people did in fact find it BETTER.

The only thing that's for sure is that it looks better. I think the only people reporting that it works better are on Windows XP, so maybe they only improved DX9 32-bit performance.

Summary thus far from me:

- Better than Crysis in the area of optimization.
- Great parallel story.
- Great feeling of the weight of the guns (akin to CoD4)
- Better on Nvidia than on ATI it would seem.
- DX9 vs. DX10 battle rages on.
- for gaming @ 1440x900, looks fan-f'ning tastic. Best $30 bucks I've spent in a while.

I would bet money that new drivers get released in the next couple of days for both.

chespace said:
So um, my PC is a piece shit and I've just been talked out of buying a laptop for gaming (thanks Zzoram).

Would this PC package be good enough to run both Crysis games at enthusiast settings?

What are the best video cards out there anyway? I have no idea if the nVidia GTX 260 is better or worse than a 9800, which is better or worse than an 8800 GTX etc.

Take a look at this:

http://www.techspot.com/review/109-geforce-gtx-260-280-versus-radeon-4850-4870/page4.html

Do you have a friend who is comfortable with slapping PC parts together? You could save a few buck that way and maybe even harvest a few peices from your current PC?

Rur0ni

chespace said:
So um, my PC is a piece shit and I've just been talked out of buying a laptop for gaming (thanks Zzoram).

I've been out of the PC upgrading game for soooo long now and honestly it's been pretty nice. But since I want to get a new PC (for music comp. and games), I might as well shoot for something beefy.

Thanks.

In Least to Most powerful:

8800GTX
9800GTX
GTX 260 / 4870
GTX 280 / 4870X2

The GTX 280 is the single most powerful, though the 4870X2 is a dual chip card that doesn't always scale, but when it does, there is a massive frame boost. Otherwise, it performs like a normal 4870. Also hefty power requirements for the X2.

As far as that NewEgg link, it has a nice processor. More than enough ram. The GTX 260 should be able to play Crysis great. I would check some GTX 260 benchmarks for Crysis from some techpowerup, anandtech or something. I do know it outperforms an 8800GTX, which can play Crysis.

Zzoram

chespace said:

I've been out of the PC upgrading game for soooo long now and honestly it's been pretty nice. But since I want to get a new PC (for music comp. and games), I might as well shoot for something beefy.

Thanks.

If you care about Crysis, I'd say get the GTX260 or 9800GT SLI. The GTX260 is better than the 9800s, and the 9800s are actually the same as the 8800s but renamed. The PC you linked seems pretty reasonable, although you could probably get a Dell XPS instead. For people who don't really know PCs well, having the Dell customer support/warranty can be a lifesaver.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Don't forget about the 9800GX2. Arguably the second most powerful card on the market and can be had for as little as $280.00.

Zzoram

I just got stuck so I'm going to exit and try the DX9 mode. It's so bad when you
NEED the hovercraft
, and you stick it in some angled tree jam and can't get it out.

Chespace, here is a quick attempt:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127360

So a system using a 280, a 3.0ghz quad-core, Vista 64, and 4gigs of RAM for 1633.

I know nothing of the mobo but other Newegg'ers view it highly. Harvest you current drive to act as you program disk, and through in a small raptor drive to act as your system disk if you like and you are be golden.

Nikorasu

So I've been having this problem since the first Crysis and even with the latest drivers the problem persists in Warhead. Simply, on my Samsung 32" if i run the game in DX10 at 1920x1080 it forces the refresh rate to 24Hz. If I set it to DX9 it does 60Hz just fine. All other DX10 games I've tried do 60. I'm running the 4870x2. I've submitted several support tickets to ATi and never seem to get a response back from anyone I asked. It's really starting to drive me nuts.

Anyone got any ideas?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
it crashed on me!

I have a core 2 duo running at 2.6 Ghz, 4 gigs of RAM and a radeon hd4870, game still runs to choppy on enthusiast settings. Gamer runs great which seems to look good enough.

playing at 1680x1050.

Blizzard

Banned
NeoXDeath said:
Best. Topic title. EVAR.

ROFLMAO

I guess you're another person who got where it came from? :p I haven't even seen the movie and I knew it...

On another note, even with my 20-25 fps (I should just see what I can get with straight gamer settings...I left a few at enthusiast) I'm having fun now. I nearly messed myself up totally by using too much ammo at the start. I didn't realize these games were ammo-conserving ones...and now I'm having to sneak around, cloaking constantly, and pick off all the backup that got called in. XD

And of course, I'm dual-wielding the face guns.

DieH@rd

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Is there something wrong with my specs?

1022MB ram (2 x 512mb ram) --- Planning on upgrading to 2 X 1GB ram
NVIDIA Geforce 6800 - with 256 video ram (PCI-Express) - Planning on upgrading to 8800GT
2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.19 GHz Performance Rated at 4.79 GHz

I was planning upgrading most of these, but i learned that the dimension 8400 isn't worth upgrading. Anyone care to elaborate?

Screw 8800, go for 9800GT its dirt cheap right now and its much better than 8800.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone.

Not sure I still have what it takes to put together a PC from the ground up but that nVidia GTX 280 sounds pretty awesome.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I was reading the thread over at HardOCP with people complaining about Warhead performing worse than Crysis. It seems a lot of them are running 4870's. One guy with a 4870X2 states that he's running it at 1280 X 1024 and it's "raping" his card. Supposedly there are issues with Crossfire, too.

TWIMTBP strikes again.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Chiggs said:
I was reading the thread over at HardOCP with people complaining about Warhead performing worse than Crysis. It seems a lot of them are running 4870's. One guy with a 4870X2 states that he's running it at 1280 X 1024 and it's "raping" his card. Supposedly there are issues with Crossfire, too.

TWIMTBP strikes again.

well that sucks. what if we bitch?

Chiggs

Gold Member
otake said:
well that sucks. what if we bitch?

I'm not sure what that would do. It's no secret that Nvidia loves to love game developers. I can only imagine the kind of equipment they've given to Crytek over the years (cash, too).

If any of you ATI fans are looking forward to Far Cry 2, you might be in for a similar surprise. When the 200 series launched, the boys and girls over at UBI were whoring out big-time for Nvidia in the form of PR videos, which probably means a specialized code path or something. And we all know what happened with Assassin's Creed.

Nikorasu

Chiggs said:

TWIMTBP strikes again.

I have no idea what they're talking about. With the latest drivers my 4780x2 cranks out wonderfully smooth framerates with everything maxed at 1680x1050 (I'm sure it would do the same at 1080p but...see my previous post).

In fact when I first booted it up the thing that really hit me constantly was how unbelievably smooth it was, especially when there was a lot of action.

I don't question their problems though. ATi tends to be pretty hit and miss.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
I'm not sure what that would do. It's no secret that Nvidia loves to love game developers. I can only imagine the kind of equipment they've given to Crytek over the years (cash, too).

If any of you ATI fans are looking forward to Far Cry 2, you might be in for a similar surprise. When the 200 series launched, the boys and girls over at UBI were whoring out big-time for Nvidia in the form of PR videos, which probably means a specialized code path or something. And we all know what happened with Assassin's Creed.

:(

Also, remember how Assassin's Creed was an nVidia logo The Way Its Meant To Be Played game, and then they patched in DX10.1 and the ATI cards got a huge performance surge and pwnd the nVidia ones, then they "patched" DX10.1 away saying there was a problem with it?

Teknoman

chespace said:
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone.

Not sure I still have what it takes to put together a PC from the ground up but that nVidia GTX 280 sounds pretty awesome.

Its not hard at all these days. The cases come with step by step instructions and labeled plugs (at least Antec cases do). All motherboards these days are easy to set up as well. You basically just set the plug the CPU in, attach the fan on top, secure the board into the case, plug in everything else, and you're good to go.

Pimpbaa

The game isn't running as good as I thought at first on my 3870. Starting areas were fine, later into the game, it runs no better than crysis. Fuck TWIMTBP!

Zzoram

So I'm stuck at a boss fight in the first Ice level. Any tips?

I'm really getting annoyed by these nVidia anti-competitive practices. Even when ATI hardware is awesome, nVidia just buys off the developers to cripple them. Then again, they did very specifically say they were optimizing for the 8800GT (and by extension, all high end nVidia cards).

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nikorasu said:
I have no idea what they're talking about. With the latest drivers my 4780x2 cranks out wonderfully smooth framerates with everything maxed at 1680x1050 (I'm sure it would do the same at 1080p but...see my previous post).

He's probably upset that he's not getting a steady 70fps with 4xaa and AF. :lol There's no way a 4870X2, as beastly as it is, should be delivering a worse experience than a 280 or 260.

I should mention that some of them are complaining about IQ issues. Have you seen anything that looks off?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
:(

Also, remember how Assassin's Creed was an nVidia logo The Way Its Meant To Be Played game, and then they patched in DX10.1 and the ATI cards got a huge performance surge and pwnd the nVidia ones, then they "patched" DX10.1 away saying there was a problem with it?

Yep, you can be sure Big Green threw a damn fit over that. Honestly, Nvidia will single-handedly make sure that DX 10.1 never takes off. Oh, sure, they might release a stop-gap of their own, but you can bet they'll be pushing DX 11 like there's no tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for some CUDA/Crytek announcement, too. I'm sure Nvidia is trying.

Timan

Developer
Not having a good time with this game. I did a fresh install of vista just for this.

It just runs like ass, much worse than crysis did, on my Mac Pro,

2x Quad 2.8ghz, 2gb ram (could be it), 8800GT 512, shit hd,

It'll run smooth for a second, then start to stutter like mad. Its unplayable. (did this on gamer+ settings.)

Nikorasu

Chiggs said:
He's probably upset that he's not getting a steady 70fps with 4xaa and AF. :lol There's no way a 4870X2, as beastly as it is, should be delivering a worse experience than a 280 or 260.

I should mention that some of them are complaining about IQ issues. Have you seen anything that looks off?

I've actually seen the same odd glitch that I noticed in the original with the odd streaking black spots. It only happens in certain places and not very often, but always in the exact same location.

Otherwise it looks wonderful (I'm running 8xAA too :D).

Teknoman said:
Its not hard at all these days. The cases come with step by step instructions and labeled plugs (at least Antec cases do). All motherboards these days are easy to set up as well. You basically just set the plug the CPU in, attach the fan on top, secure the board into the case, plug in everything else, and you're good to go.

Agreed. Plus one lazy Sunday dedicated to building a PC lands you a 280 over a 260 which is not a bad deal if you are going to be using the same PC for a few years. I the quads use the same click-into-place heatsinks that shipped with my e6400 then it would be a very easy build.

Timan said:
Not having a good time with this game. I did a fresh install of vista just for this.

It just runs like ass, much worse than crysis did, on my Mac Pro,

2x Quad 2.8ghz, 2gb ram (could be it), 8800GT 512, shit hd,

It'll run smooth for a second, then start to stutter like mad. Its unplayable. (did this on gamer+ settings.)

Vram trouble, maybe? Can the texture quality be independently controlled so that you can troubleshoot?

Zzoram

The only thing you have to be very careful about is placing the CPU heatsink on properly. That part still isn't as easy as the rest of the building.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
The worst part is how reviewers universally stated how the performance was WAY better.

Nsist on Nvidia! :lol

Yeah, it's a shame that the game wasn't given to the more technical reviewers so they could properly evaluate it across a variety of platforms.

When I first launched the game yesterday afternoon, I couldn't believe how damn smooth it ran with nearly everything cranked to the max, and now that I'm reading the experiences of others, it's a little disappointing to see that it's not quite the case for everyone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well done on the official thread.

Just finished tweaking my rig (in particular, my new GTX 260) and couldn't get much steam downloading in tonight, so it'll be tomorrow before I can touch Warhead. Looking forward to the sort of faps I can get at 1080p/enthusiast, if it stays >30 most of the time I'll be giddy.

Got my GTX 260 OCed to the point where it should be above stock GTX 280 levels. Awesome card.

gtx260oc.jpg

(stock = 576 core, 1000 memory)

Bring it :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Welcome to the 260 club! And holy shit do you have that baby oc'd. Mine's at 650/1100 and it never breaks 75C. That's the nice thing about the 200 series...they run fairly cool for a GPU.

Enjoy!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EviLore said:
Looking forward to the sort of faps I can get at 1080p/enthusiast, if it stays >30 most of the time I'll be giddy.

:eek:

EviLore, you mind posting some screen shots with fps marks on them in certain areas with your settings?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I cap out at 78C with that config at load, cooler than my 8800GTS was.

Hazaro: sure, I'll load up fraps tomorrow and take marked screens.

Chiggs said:
Don't forget about the 9800GX2. Arguably the second most powerful card on the market and can be had for as little as $280.00.

The enthusiast communities are really negative about the GX2, calling it a card built for benchmarks rather than real-world applications thanks to the apparently significant microstuttering problems with it.

Awntawn

Just beat it ;o

Running on Vista with 4GB RAM, 8800GT, and E4400 (Bottleneck, I know)

Some impressions, overall much much better than Crysis pound for pound. No more bullet-proof Koreans, shooting seems to be a lot more satisfying this time around. Let's start off with performance though. It was said that Warhead was a lot more optimized than the original. Maybe it's been awhile (a year almost?) and I've forgotten what the original played like, but the performance was still extremely inconsistent throughout this game.

First off, Enthusiast all was not playable at all given my setup, whereas I remember getting by at least a few segments on Very High all with the original. Gamer all worked in more places than not. On occasion, I was able to bump shaders and textures up to Enthusiast. The biggest culprit of performance was at least for me motion blur. I had to turn the slider pretty much completely off to get any type of playability. Next was volumetric, starting from the snow level I had to drop that to Mainstream and everything seemed smooth again. Aside from that, I pretty much refused to drop anything else down to Mainstream because that's when Crysis stops looking like Crysis.

There was one exception, which was the
train segment
. I had to drop it down to mainstream and I was still chugging at barely 20 fps. If there's one part of the game that I felt was absolutely unacceptable, I'd have to say that was it. I was running at virtually a slideshow.

That being said, Gamer settings still looks absolutely phenomenal. It's unfortunate that the framerate still does drop significantly in almost all of the game's most exciting moments, but most of the time I was so immersed in the action that I couldn't even be bothered to care about the framerate until after the fights were virtually over.

As I mentioned, pound for pound the game is much better than the original. The story and cutscenes were also presented much better (I had flashes of MGS4), and Psycho is way cooler than Nomad. I hope there's more to come down the road with this engine before we all have to buy new computers for Crysis 2 D;

Zzoram

DX9 works better than DX10.

Ugh, so what do I do with that boss?

The giant exosuit walker, it's so hard! I managed to kill it on my 5th try, but it fell on me and took me down to a sliver of HP, and a smaller alien killed me in 1 hit, and there wasn't a checkpoint from killing the thing so I have to do it again...

Momar

aka Ryder
Any recommendations for SLi setups? 8800GT's here. I'm getting quite a bit of stuttering, 1920x1200, no AA, Gamer settings. The framerate is, on average, pretty damn good (30-40fps), but it's really inconsistant. I get a lot of stutters when doing things like swinging the camera and looking down the sights, for example.

Awntawn

Ryder said:
Any recommendations for SLi setups? 8800GT's here. I'm getting quite a bit of stuttering, 1920x1200, no AA, Gamer settings. The framerate is, on average, pretty damn good (30-40fps), but it's really inconsistant. I get a lot of stutters when doing things like swinging the camera and looking down the sights, for example.
See if toning down the motion blur slider works for you ;o

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, work in the morning again...I probably played for two hours. I'm taking this slow. XD

Plus I'm bad at the game. I ended up with either no AA or 2AA, and a mix of gamer/enthusiast settings...everything generally ran decently from 20-30 fps, 1680x1200, with that. I might try all gamer if things slow down more.

Regarding the gameplay...(minor weapon spoiler stuff)

I started out blazing away, and then had hardly anything left with tons of badguys round, so I started conserving. I pretty much never used the rapidfire modes on purpose after that.

I found myself not wanting to try to fight everyone, either. I love that you can spend huge periods of time cloaked and crawling around, and/or supersprinting past everyone. I did have to pick everyone off in the place where the backup gets called in to the beach house, though...that took a while.

And then I randomly ended up with an ASSAULT SCOPE. I don't know if I picked that up off the ground or what, but sniper rifle + cloaking = hours of fun. I took out like half the guys in the rainy jungle...and then the big truck racing sequence was great. I survived most of it, but jumped my truck on a rail and had to hitch a ride out of the action near the end. XD

Weapons and explosions are quite satisfying. The soldiers are pretty dumb, THANKFULLY, since there are so many of them. I saw a few of them walking in place or seemingly stuck in trees, but they'll swarm you if they see you, generally. I also saw one of them trip over a corpse at one point.

But yeah...grenading a truck into the air, or blowing up cars while speeding down the road (I dunno HOW you're supposed to be able to aim that gun while driving), or putting a landmine in front of a tank...awesome. (nearly killed myself with that one). Oh, and the random shotgun I picked up is cool, but I'm saving it for desperate situations. I haven't tried the submachine gun since I refuse to get rid of my sniper rifle or shotgun for now.

The game is also kind of a different challenge for me because I never played the original Crysis. This one has a good bit of tutorial hints to get you going, but it's still taken a bit of experimentation for me to figure out how to do stuff. (is there any advantage in using ironsights over reflex sights?)

Danj

Dunno if anyone has pointed it out but having all the text in images in the OP instead of just as plain text means it can't be searched for by the GAF search box.

Timan

Developer
Does anyone with an 8800GT running this game well? I've seen numerous reports with people and this specific card having stuttering issues. My brother has an 8800GTS and it looks like its running better than mine.

dLMN8R

Timan said:
Does anyone with an 8800GT running this game well? I've seen numerous reports with people and this specific card having stuttering issues. My brother has an 8800GTS and it looks like its running better than mine.
Runs very nicely for me. The only stutters I'm getting seem to be related to my crappy CPU.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some worst case scenario screenshots showing low framerates:

Again, I have everything set to enthusiast, save for shadows, which are set to gamer. Running at 1680 X 1050 on an oc'd GTX 260.

Edit: On that last shot (that sticks out to the right), I backed up against a far wall to get a view of the entire area. That is the most stressful part of the game, by far.

Top Bottom