• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: if you want to be relevant in 4 years in game dev, you'll need a VR solution

Zaptruder

Banned
As a counterpoint to the uninformed and myopic article from the BBC, here's an article interviewing Crytek Director of Production David Bowman:.

Bowman, and the rest of the Crytek organization see VR as a vital component of the future. “It’s going to change the way we view entertainment,” he says, “[and] if you want to be relevant in four years in game development, you have to have a VR solution.” Which is why Crytek is hopping in with both feet into the deep end of the VR pool.

For Crytek and Bowman it is about championing the next generation of entertainment and continuing to push boundaries. “At Crytek we have always been pushing the limits of what we can do,” he says, “but VR excites us as a team in a way nothing else has before.”

http://uploadvr.com/crytek-vr-push/

Also worth noting is that Crytek is working on what they call a 'AAA' game for VR - ROBINSON - The Journey. I recall in the BBC thread a few posters claiming that VR would need a AAA title to really take off... well, it's going to get them - they just won't hit immediately, because it takes time to make them.

*edit; added comment from below*
I do think 4 years is somewhat too optimistic... but if we interpret the statement charitably - you can read it as - in about 4 years, if you're not working on something with VR, and developing expertise in that area, you'll run a high risk of becoming irrelevant over the long term.

Given that big games take years to put out - if you're a big company like Nintendo, Sony, Bethesda, etc... and you don't have some part of your effort invested in that area - yeah I'd say that's very true.

I mean... to put it another way - I think by the next cycle of consoles - if they're not working with VR somehow, then they'll run a high chance of irrelevance in the succeeding years. Unfortunately, that seems to be the trajectory Nintendo is headed on given the sort of comments their brass are making.

mcrommert

Banned
Crytek shouldn't be telling anyone what to do in order to "stay relevant". As they have worked steadily to become not at all relevant.

Also i hope there are plenty of games that aren't vr in the future

Crytek shouldn't be telling anyone what to do in order to "stay relevant". As they have worked steadily to become not at all relevant.

I wouldn't take advice from anyone at Crytek on this topic.

One and done. A once fledgling company who put tech over game is telling me where my loyalties should lie.

Mmkay, thanks Crytek.

mclem

I think there's a chance of VR catching on in the long haul, but really not to the extent that in that space of time, if you don't have VR solutions, you're irrelevant.

He's right. In four years time, cutting edge games will almost all be vr.
Maybe, but even if that's the case, that's not what he's saying; what he's saying is that engines pitched at non cutting-edge games are irrelevant.

I really don't see that happening what with the rise of mobile.

Dyno

Lol! I love these guys! They nearly destroyed their company jumping into freemium. Now, battered and bruised, they're going to jump again! It's the raw enthusiasm that I appreciate. Crytek is the video game version of Jackass!

No_Style

I didn't realize all other forms of gaming were going to be irrelevant in four years. What an absurd statement to make. It's like someone four years ago saying you need to have an Android or iOS game to stay relevant today.

I don't know what people are talking about; this seems like pretty sound advice. I mean, Crytek are the masters at going to irrelevancy within four years, so they're basically the highest possible authority on this subject.

“At Crytek we have always been pushing the limits of what we can do,” he says, “but VR excites us as a team in a way nothing else has before.”

I hope it excites them enough as a team to remember to pay their employees this time.

MaDKaT

Not that I feel they have much clout but I do agree with them. Granted it may be I just want to see a major shift in gaming similar to the jump to 3D polygonal games. But having tried DK1/2 with games like Project CARS was enough to convince me that It is a future I want to see succeed.

Zaptruder

Banned
I do think 4 years is somewhat too optimistic... but if we interpret the statement charitably - you can read it as - in about 4 years, if you're not working on something with VR, and developing expertise in that area, you'll run a high risk of becoming irrelevant over the long term.

Given that big games take years to put out - if you're a big company like Nintendo, Sony, Bethesda, etc... and you don't have some part of your effort invested in that area - yeah I'd say that's very true.

I mean... to put it another way - I think by the next cycle of consoles - if they're not working with VR somehow, then they'll run a high chance of irrelevance in the succeeding years. Unfortunately, that seems to be the trajectory Nintendo is headed on given the sort of comments their brass are making.

Bsigg12

Just like any other gaming gimmick, vr will not last long

VR is here to stay. It'll take a few years to hit mass appeal but it's definitely not something that will die out because we are finally getting the hardware that can support it properly.

spons

Developers who can't stay relevant flock to mobile and VR because the quality standards are much lower than on the standard platforms we actually play our games on.

Paz

I remember when we were told the future was MMO's, every single game would incorporate MMO elements or be an MMO hybrid. Then the future was Facebook games because Facebook gave you open ended access to user privs and you could print money, this lasted about 2 years. Around that time it was decided that the future was mobile games only. Then we were told consoles were dead and nobody would ever want them again. Oh and of course everything was motion controls for a while.

At some point people are gonna calm down with the hyperbole and new experiences are going to calmly find their place in the market, like they always do.

Dennis

Banned
By far my biggest concern with VR is one of comfort.

How many people will game for hours wearing those goggles?

Am I going to want to make that kind of an effort to game when I come home from work?

Eh, we'll see. I'm not convinced.

First post nails it. Crytek is hardly a guiding light these days.

The End

I'm pretty excited about working consumer VR but betting on something that's a ~300 accessory to a current-gen console or a beefy gaming PC is... optimistic, to be sure.

SourBear

Banned
Maybe I'm becoming too cynical at the ripe old age of 33 but VR seems to fit into the same cycle of fad technologies as every other now forgotten too hyped for its own good technology of the past.

But for whatever reason I see AR as a much more viable product than VR. I guess it is because the potential uses for AR are far far greater than for VR.

Zaptruder

Banned

Am I going to want to make that kind of an effort to game when I come home from work?

Reports from E3 indicate that the new Oculus CV headsets are very comfortable... 'as light as a baseball cap' (according to Norm from tested) - that most of the weight it balanced towards the crown of the head, and that there are spring elements in the part connecting the strap to the headset, that allows for the user to easily take the headset on and off without having to readjust the device every time.

It's also covered in breathable and stain/sweat/crusting resistant fabric and the IPD (distance between eyes) can be easily adjusted to best suit the user.

Given all that... it's apparent that Oculus has given significant thought and effort to ensuring that even the 'first generation' VR stuff will be highly usable right out of the gate.

Trojan

Agreed. VR experiences need be shorter than typical 2D gaming and devs will figure this out eventually if they already haven't.

if you want to be relevant in much more than four years in game dev, you need to make good games.
7bopiWL.jpg

All that needs to be said here.

I think he means that your games need to work with VR displays as an option, not that you should abandon the traditional format. I'm not in his head though, but he didn't say every game needs to be VR specifically.

Hmmm, seems like people rather make jokes or personal attacks rather than discuss his message. Nothing new I guess.

I remember when we were told the future was MMO's, every single game would incorporate MMO elements or be an MMO hybrid. Then the future was Facebook games because Facebook gave you open ended access to user privs and you could print money, this lasted about 2 years. Around that time it was decided that the future was mobile games only. Then we were told consoles were dead and nobody would ever want them again. Oh and of course everything was motion controls for a while.

At some point people are gonna calm down with the hyperbole and new experiences are going to calmly find their place in the market, like they always do.

Yes, this, exactly. It's about games, not input and viewing devices. You could also add 3D and multiplayer to your list, too. The idea that everything is going to go one way is idiotic.

Aces&Eights

Hey, if the make the world's next "Crysis" on V.R. I won't complain. Been pretty hit or miss with them but back in the day, these guys were the masters of their craft. When they launch their new game on VR I'll let their work speak on behalf of their PR department

Sakujou

Banned
Yeah right. I don't think that VR will be a big hit. I thought we would see games this e3... Still no games around, only a few tech demos and that was it. I really loved. Testint oculus rift, but i suppose its going to he a fad like 3d and waggling... Sadly.

Rembrandt

Banned

Man, lol, I was thinking the same thing.

But I could see VR becoming a lot more adopted by the mainstream around 2020, but idk about games requiring it to be relevant.

Top Bottom