• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead vs. Sonic Mania

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Cuphead

Votes: 129 54.7%
  • Sonic Mania

Votes: 107 45.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

k80FbVm.jpg

Arkam

Love Cupheads art style but hated the gameplay. Sonic Mania was just a solid entry In the series.... but I had fun playing. So Sonic gets the vote.

Fuz

Banned
Love Cuphead, but I can't help but wonder if I loved it as much without that incredible art style.
At some point, it gets really too much.

So I'm voting Sonic 'cause I love old school platformers.

xrnzaaas

I haven't played any of them. Sonic Mania is in my backlog. As for Cuphead, well I easily get frustrated with hard games... ;)

Cuphead. Enjoyable game to chase the cheevos/platinum, too.

How did I decide? After finishing each, I asked myself: which of these do I want more of?

DonF

Cuphead, for sure. It felt new and fresh, whereas sonic mania feels like Sonic 1-2-3, which is great, its something that SEGA couldn't do in 20 years.

Codes 208

Sonic mania is the best sonic game this gen by far. But cuphead is easily my favorite indie game of this gen and being a new op it felt unique whereas mania was like a remake of various classic sonic games and I’ve played those countless times.

so credit where it’s due: sonic mania is a great game. But cuphead is in my top ten this gen.

StormCell

Sonic by a huge margin.

Cuphead does have an incredible art style.

But Sonic Mania does have a bunch of fun levels, looks stylistically very pleasing, and I actually bothered to finish it and kept playing.

The music in Sonic Mania is another nudge in its favor.

Conclusion: Visuals alone do not overcome fun factor. Sonic Mania > Cuphead

Saber

Gold Member
I like Cuphead, its a great game artistically crafted.

But Mania is a pixel art plataform game, with diversified stages, special bonus stages, emerald hunting and more. Then, my vote goes to Mania.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

This one isn't close for me. Cuphead is imo the best run n gun game ever made. It's utterly flawless in every aspect. Don't get me wrong. It was an amazing feat for Sega to create a really good Sonic game, but it's still just a Sonic game.

Tough one. Cuphead was incredible for it's art alone. The music was also fantastic. It plays really well and I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it was a boss rush game with a few mediocre run-n-gun stages along for the ride.

Sonic Mania was a love letter to Sonic. It did all the things a Sonic game should and had some really cool things like the Mean Bean Machine fight. The visuals were classic Sonic as was the music, but weren't at the same level as Cupheads visuals or audio.

In the end I went with Cuphead as the game really clicked with me.

Miles708

I expected sonic mania to win much more easily, but cuphead has the advantage, apparently.
There's still time, but after Gravity Rush 2 and Dreams, I'm betting on all the losing horses apparently

I like both games. I enjoyed Cuphead's 1930s cartoon art style and challenging levels. It had charm I haven't seen in games of that genre. Sonic Mania was a reminder of what made Sonic games fun. It felt like I was reliving the Sega Genesis classic. Hard choice, but I went with Sonic Mania.

Faithless83

Banned
Cuphead is nice but remove the art style and we had a "contra did it better" type of game.
Edit: I even go as far to say that Gunstar Heroes did it a lot better.
Sonic Mania proved the "sonic was never good" camp how wrong they were since the 90's.

Sonic Mania it is.

Last edited:

Miles708

Cuphead is nice but remove the art style and we had a "contra did it better" type of game.
Edit: I even go as far to say that Gunstar Heroes did it a lot better.
Sonic Mania proved the "sonic was never good" camp how wrong they were since the 90's.

Sonic Mania it is.

"Go as far" ? Gunstar Heroes is vastly better even than Contra, I'm sorry for Cuphead but there's no comparison.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's a tough choice. I wanted to give it to Cuphead because of the fantastic art style and the way it just excelled at being exactly what it is, but overall, I think Sonic Mania is just better as a complete game. Cuphead feels "limited" in comparison. That's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's a tough choice. I wanted to give it to Cuphead because of the fantastic art style and the way it just excelled at being exactly what it is, but overall, I think Sonic Mania is just better as a complete game. Cuphead feels "limited" in comparison. That's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong.
It plays well but it is just one long boss rush mode game.

mcjmetroid

Toough one.

I voted sonic mania because I'm biased.

But really cuphesd should win.

It's a best of game with new content Vs
Something with an original artstyle

Faithless83

Banned
"Go as far" ? Gunstar Heroes is vastly better even than Contra, I'm sorry for Cuphead but there's no comparison.
That's what I said. It's just that people who owned one system was oblivious to the other entirely even today.
So for someone who grew up with a SNES "contra is the answer".

From that came the nonsense of "Sonic was never good". Reality hit a lot of people like a brick when Sonic Mania was released, hence the praise.

Miles708

That's what I said. It's just that people who owned one system was oblivious to the other entirely even today.
So for someone who grew up with a SNES "contra is the answer".

From that came the nonsense of "Sonic was never good". Reality hit a lot of people like a brick when Sonic Mania was released, hence the praise.
I'm sorry, whenever I read Gunstar Heroes (or Guardian Heroes) I go into battle mode on autopilot.
I agree completely, anyway.

Last edited:

Roberts

I think I have tried all recent Sonic games, played them for 5 minutes and deleted them off my drive (other than Sonic Racing game from 360 days). Cuphead on the other hand is a game that I've been playing on and off since it come out on Xbox. This is super easy.

Miles708

Looks like people can't see cuphead beyond the art style.
That's sad.

200.gif

People always like to say that they value gameplay over graphics.
Personally I don't agree with this way of thinking (graphics/style is just as important as gameplay, I'm sorry), but I think this pool finally shows how Neogaf users really think about this... despite their own claims.

Last edited:
Top Bottom