• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curious to know what people here want and expect from Diablo 4

Yumi

Diablo 1 was my introduction to the series when it came out. Diablo 2 is my favorite, parshly cause a seemingly unlimited amount of time as i was 12, and had a bunch of friends who played. I liked 3 fine but never fell in love with it.

Genuinely curious what fans and non fans want from Diablo 4. More of the same, an overhaul, or a little bit of both?

I myself would need something pretty drastic to be interested, but cant quite come up with what that would be.

Please share your thoughts!

x1

Orenji Neko

Monsters everywhere, gore, and loot falling out of their asses like diarrhea. Some cool lore to frame it in too. I liked all three of the previous games just fine, but I felt like D3 had a rocky, stupid start. I would like to think the lesson learned in walking back on some of that stupid shit, and making it a lot better would prevail going forward, but then I'd be making logical assumptions which is foolhardy to do in the current, I dunno, "climate" that some of these companies are in.

Make it like 2 or 3 but just make it! 😉

I want more stories and more characters to meet and to control with new spells for more new situations. Make it longer and a little harder than D3.

Last edited:
3 was the worst in the series. Take it back to its' roots of survival dungeon crawler. Add in the huge areas and vast differences in loot, enemies and tactics of number 2, wrap it all up in some decent law with good voice acting, not the terrible embarrassing mess that Diablo 3 was and you should be aight.

The toughest challenge is to make it enjoyable in single player (proper AI help please) AND multiplayer

Saber

Gold Member
I sincerelly drop Diablo 3 near the end. I though maybe I was old for the game, until I went back playing Diablo 2 and it was a blast. Beat the game like 2 times, including the expansion. In the end Diablo 3 was really boring.

So yeah, I sincerelly could care less about 3 or a 4. I'm fine playing 2, its a ton of fun.

Last edited:

Yumi

Seems like most people are happy with its core design. I might be in the minority of getting excited about a 3rd person rumor i heard.

I too would like it to feel and look less arcadey and more gothic/horror. Like 1 but controlling less archaic. Like actually being scared of bosses or enemies. But maybe that is hard to achieve in isometric view.

Also interested to see what they do with classes.

Sounds like people just want another more Diablo with maybe more realistic graphics, cool characters, and better loot. Nothing too drastic.

Im cool with that. Excited to see what they offer, and personally hoping they do something different enough to get me real excited.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- Same gameplay
- A class of weapon beyond Super Ancients that are painted ultraviolet, since the are out of weapon grade colours
- Everyone including me will still buy it hoping for that 0.02% chance of a drop worth keeping

Neolombax

More lore,
More cinematics between acts (the animated drawings in D3 just did not cut it for me. More like Diablo 2 but with current graphics)
Darker tones in terms of art style and story,
Interesting classes (Torchlight frontiers has a class that have you building tracks for an artillery train...something inventive along those lines but less dorky I suppose)
Unique loot with actual unique effects, not just stat boosts
Retain the isometric nature
Weird enemy designs that look horrifying and threatening (D3 enemy designs look...cool. I dont feel like running away from them)

NeededSleep

-Deep skill trees.
-More strategy than spamming a button on harder difficulties
-A little bit darker atmosphere.
-better boss fights
-Better storyline....Fuck d3 was bad.

D3 wasnt bad, but it was not great and it took a long time for it to get where it is today(eat a dick jay wilson). The expansion was probably the best thing about d3 and blizzard didnt let the team that made it better continue.

Honestly i dont know if the blizzard we know today can deliver.

Hope they can prove me wrong.

Hari Seldon

Like hire an actual writer and come up with a story that is not garbage fanfic.

The major thing tho is that i'm at a stage in my life where I need some sort of hook that is not just acquiring better loot. If that is all it is I will buy it, play it once and abandon it guaranteed. If I'm in the minority on this, I'm ok with it, but I suspect that I am not. I played the living shit out of Diablo 1 not because of loot, but because the chaos of 90s internet with PK/Anti-PK shenanigans and hacking and all of that. The game isn't fun without this for me. It needs something other than just acquiring loot.

Edit:
I'd also add to have the option to have console controls in the PC version. Those old school controls were never actually good, just a necessity of the times.

Last edited:
More fun drops, probably not the same tree style as D3, and .. ugh so much better story writing. Belial, the greatest liar in the world, has the most obvious lies.

Azmodan, the greatest tactician of Hell, tells you his grand plans in a cinematic; literally taunts it in your face.

Xyphie

I really hope they tune down the reliance on sets and make-everything-fucking-explode type builds that dominate the current D3 meta.

radewagon

Literally nothing. I loved Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. The grind was oddly addicting and fun but, if I'm being honest, I loved them most for their dark morose medieval fantasy aesthetic. Post-"World of Warcraft" Blizzard is just, I dunno, meh. Thankfully, Dark Souls has completely given me the dark fantasy RPG fix that I needed. It offers up the best of Diablo in a much more attractive package. I could use a Dark Souls 4 though. That would be great.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo 3 was perfect so I don’t mind 4 being like 3 with better aspects here and there

More activity is always welcomed after end game

Same here. I’m of the if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it mold. Just improve and iterate. Make new IPs when devs want to try something very different.

Ivory Blood

Necromancer being available from the start would be a good addition.

Also leave in the ability to choose gender of the MC. I thoroughly enjoyed female necro and demon huntress voice overs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I want StarCraft instead... Blizzard cancelling anything StarCraft hurts me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

Same here. I’m of the if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it mold. Just improve and iterate. Make new IPs when devs want to try something very different.

Agree. Diablo 2 was fine, it didn't need the bastard child that was D3. Just improve and iterate.

Geki-D

Banned
I did my playthrough of D3 with the demon hunter and it felt more like a shmup than anything else. I literally only ever needed to heal myself against Malthael and not once throughout the whole base game or leading up to Malthael did I need to use a potion. I guess my experience may have been different with another class, but maybe don't have a class in D4 that feels so OP?

Avisari

Neo Member
While I did enoy D3 a lot I do think I'd like D4 end up somewhere between D2 and D3. Feels like it could be the sweet spot.

Yumi

Actually build around the entire game.

Fuck focusing on end game.
This would actually be the biggest surprise for me. In a good way, but I don't see it happening. I see them doing everything it takes for people playing for a long time. Lots of endgame. And lots of incentives for people jumping back in.

The latter I would actually like. If they kept the world alive as much as say fortnite, I could see that being a good thing.

dilbag

itemization and skill trees in the style of d2.
action and respec options of d3 is what i want.

this is what i want... and please find a way to bring Cain back... lol

flacopol

we dont want D4... there is PoE , but a good D2 remake would be great ... I also recommend Path of diablo mod

DavidGzz

PoE plays like crap compared to D3 and it's too involved. Anyways, I love D3 but the graphic style sucks compared to D1 and 2. Also the speed gets out of control. I want a slower paced dark game.

Yumi

Take less design cues from 3, and more from 2.

I'm not sure how you unfuck the story though.

Where and when it takes place is something im also interested in. I usually sigh at most prequel settings, but think it might actually work for Diablo. Maybe Diablos first rising with a young Cain to fight alongside. Shit, if they brought some characters back from the original they would be pandering to me pretty hard.

nikolino840

Monsters everywhere, gore, and loot falling out of their asses like diarrhea. Some cool lore to frame it in too. I liked all three of the previous games just fine, but I felt like D3 had a rocky, stupid start. I would like to think the lesson learned in walking back on some of that stupid shit, and making it a lot better would prevail going forward, but then I'd be making logical assumptions which is foolhardy to do in the current, I dunno, "climate" that some of these companies are in.
So a Path of Exille without the f2p mechanics

I want Diablo left in a ditch to die. Blizzard today is not capable of making a game like the franchise deserves.

I expect Diablo 3.5 now with more MTX and shitty writing.

Top Bottom