• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Options for In-Home Streaming

TriAceJP

Hello.

I have a few 4k sets around my house, and a pretty solid wired network throughout. What are my current options for the best picture/latency?

I currently own a

Steam Link - Latency is pretty low. However, I am only allowed 1080p at the highest

Xbox One/PS4 Pro - I used Remotr. It hasn't been updated in a year and the quality and lag were impressively poor. Why even release it at this state? Rainway looks promising, but the Xbox One app has not been released yet. I couldn't find anything else that enables in-home streaming.

TCL Roku and LG App Store - I couldn't find anything on either of these to enable game streaming. I know Samsung has a new app out, but I do not own a Samsung set.

I also have a spare HTPC I could upgrade if that is the more viable option.

What else is out there? I know the Shield TV exists but I have no experience with one. Any input on these?

LOLCats

Banned
Plex man. i stream everything from my htpc via plex. Seems like every device has the plex app and it works well. All wireless for what that's worth.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I use an emulation frontend from my PC so using a service remotely is not a viable solution for my needs.

This is the only "built-in" option on the Nvidia Shield so that might not be the right device for you. Of course it being Android TV it has other screen-streaming options available on the Play Store. It also has it's own emulation frontends and fairly beefy hardware so maybe you don't need to screen-stream at all if that's your intended purpose.

TriAceJP

This is the only "built-in" option on the Nvidia Shield so that might not be the right device for you. Of course it being Android TV it has other screen-streaming options available on the Play Store. It also has it's own emulation frontends and fairly beefy hardware so maybe you don't need to screen-stream at all if that's your intended purpose.

I had an android box plus those mini Nintendo consoles but I like having all my saves and whatnot all located at one location. Not to mention the WiiU/PS3 emulation.

I think I will bite the bullet and take the Shield TV. Anyone have any solid experience with one that'd they'd give the recommendation to purchase?

Plex man. i stream everything from my htpc via plex. Seems like every device has the plex app and it works well. All wireless for what that's worth.

Way ahead of you on that one.

Last edited:

Jagz

Get an NVidia Shield TV. It supports 4K 60fps and HDR via GameStream (requires a GTX 660 or greater and Geforce Experience installed). It's brilliant and basically lag-free, if you use Ethernet.

It runs Android emulators very well; ePSXe, Super Retro 16, PPSSPP, Retrox and RetoArch run really well on the Shield TV. In regards to Wii U/ PS3 emulation, I use mine to stream BotW running on my PC at 1080p 60fps and it's a wonderful and seamless experience.

It's also one of the best 4K streaming media players on the market, and obviously it's great for things like Kodi, etc.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask; I've basically used mine every day since I got it in 2015. The 2015 is identical spec-wise to the 2017 model, but the 2017 version comes with a much improved controller.

TriAceJP

Get an NVidia Shield TV. It supports 4K 60fps and HDR via GameStream (requires a GTX 660 or greater and Geforce Experience installed). It's brilliant and basically lag-free, if you use Ethernet.

It runs Android emulators very well; ePSXe, Super Retro 16, PPSSPP, Retrox and RetoArch run really well on the Shield TV. In regards to Wii U/ PS3 emulation, I use mine to stream BotW running on my PC at 1080p 60fps and it's a wonderful and seamless experience.

It's also one of the best 4K streaming media players on the market, and obviously it's great for things like Kodi, etc.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask; I've basically used mine every day since I got it in 2015. The 2015 is identical spec-wise to the 2017 model, but the 2017 version comes with a much improved controller.

You sold me. That's pretty much my use case.

I'll grab one tonight.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
You sold me. That's pretty much my use case.

I'll grab one tonight.

You’ll enjoy it, I have one in my living room and bedroom. My TVs have Steam Link built in, but I still use my Shields more often when I want to play Steam games laying in bed.

I play Dark Souls III usually and some Witcher 3, if you have an Ethernet cord hooked up, it is basically lag free.

The 2017 model, as the poster of above said, has a much improved controller and it is actually very nice and comfortable to use.

Edit: you can also get the Nvidia Shield per month for Geforce Force games, they have some pretty good games for members, albeit older games. They do have all the Batman games I believe.

Last edited:

Jagz

Good choice, you won't regret it! :p

Yeah, the 2017 controller is wonderful. Despite the polygonal look (which personally I love), it's surprisingly comfy. It also supports private headphone listening, built-in Google Home and it supports rumble over GameStream (the 2015 one didn't).

Top Bottom