• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curry's PS5 show your interest page

Kazza

Wow, is Curry's still going strong in the UK?

Anyhow, I've always been a Dixon's fan myself, so I think I'll go with them instead, or maybe Tandy's...

Hostile_18

Banned
It's funny how they open banging on about the controller and end saying how excited they are for the controller to get in the hands of developers 😂.

Haptic Feedback changes lives.

Kazza

I've preordered from Rumbelows 😃

Good choice. I would recommend going to Toys R Us first though. I remember first playing the PS1 at a demo kiosk there and I'm sure they'll have a PS5 one this summer. It's always best to try before you buy.

Tandy 😂😂

Currys is owned by the Dixon’s/Carphone warehouse group

they shut almost all Dixon’s a few years ago. Now you mainly only see them at airports, in The duty free zone

Haha, I've only spent 2 years of the past 10 in the UK, but I do remember hearing something about Dixons and Curry's.

I went back to my old Childhood haunt the last time I was back to see what had changed. That high street was a good hour walk/ 20 minute buss ride from my old house, which seemed a long way back then. The WH Smiths was still there, and they even had a few people reading the magazines, but most of the gaming ones had gone (that "new magazine smell" brought back memories though). The Dixons was still there, but I think it had rebranded as Curry's (my strongest memory there is trying the then brand new CD-i, but not being able to find any games for it). I tried to look for the small games import shop in the indoor market, but it wasn't there (probably long gone). I remember seeing the Revenge of Shinobi Jap import there - only the title screen as the red haired lady who ran the shop didn't let us young scamps play. They also had a SFII arcade machne, but that was always occupied by scary-looking teenagers.

I wonder where most UK people will buy there consoles from this gen. Amazon?

Hostile_18

Banned
Good choice. I would recommend going to Toys R Us first though. I remember first playing the PS1 at a demo kiosk there and I'm sure they'll have a PS5 one this summer. It's always best to try before you buy.

Haha, I've only spent 2 years of the past 10 in the UK, but I do remember hearing something about Dixons and Curry's.

I went back to my old Childhood haunt the last time I was back to see what had changed. That high street was a good hour walk/ 20 minute buss ride from my old house, which seemed a long way back then. The WH Smiths was still there, and they even had a few people reading the magazines, but most of the gaming ones had gone (that "new magazine smell" brought back memories though). The Dixons was still there, but I think it had rebranded as Curry's (my strongest memory there is trying the then brand new CD-i, but not being able to find any games for it). I tried to look for the small games import shop in the indoor market, but it wasn't there (probably long gone). I remember seeing the Revenge of Shinobi Jap import there - only the title screen as the red haired lady who ran the shop didn't let us young scamps play. They also had a SFII arcade machne, but that was always occupied by scary-looking teenagers.

I wonder where most UK people will buy there consoles from this gen. Amazon?

Yep I went Amazon last gen and had no issues at all. So many electronic/game retailers in the UK have financial difficulties, you have to be very careful where you pre order from as you never know if they will be around in half a years time.

GHG

Curry's is a name I haven't heard in a while.

Surprised they are still in business to be honest.

magnumpy

a retailer? should I care about this at all?

circuit city is the only retailer I care about. and that's just for its retro charm :(

Kazza

Yep I went Amazon last gen and had no issues at all. So many electronic/game retailers in the UK have financial difficulties, you have to be very careful where you pre order from as you never know if they will be around in half a years time.

Do some stores still do that "midnight release" thing, or is that now a thing of the past?

Zero7

My advice is avoid Curry's like the plague.

I had a lot of bother with them a few years back, regarding a faulty TV. Never bought from them since

Wow, is Curry's still going strong in the UK?

Anyhow, I've always been a Dixon's fan myself, so I think I'll go with them instead, or maybe Tandy's...
It's actually Currys/PC World. Quite a good shop really. Not sure if that's where I pre-ordered my PS4! 🤔

Hostile_18

Banned
Do some stores still do that "midnight release" thing, or is that now a thing of the past?

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe for the very biggest games.

I'm happy to wait to get it delivered the next morning. Just need then to announce the date so I can book some time off work!

lol as if the PS5 is a niche product and they are gauging interest WTF. Curry's and all retailers will gobble up as many as they can get their hands on, and they will sell out.

Don't understand this, other than some sort of data grabbing operation?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I got an e-mail yesterday from GameStop for the same thing yesterday of course no new specs or info.

Guess Sony wants to see if we'll buy the PS5 without them having to reveal the price/flops/specs. :pie_roffles:"pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles:

Neff

PlayStation didn't even exist the last time I visited my local Toy & Hobby, but I'm sure they've got them in now.

4hQxSB.jpg

My advice is avoid Curry's like the plague.

I had a lot of bother with them a few years back, regarding a faulty TV. Never bought from them since

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the last few years or so, my experience has only been positive. Good pricing and good service.

Kazza

The great thing about Curry's is that you don't actually have to pay, they just let you stroll in and take whatever you want:

That could save you at least 400 quid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom