• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK TV Deal - £599 LGUH668V - Suitable for PS4 Pro?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...9_1478859555_e68a1a541b62fef044e5335cc2d4b600

Hey guys, I posted in the active Sony thread but don't seem to be getting any responses. This TV is normally >£1k (on Currys anyway, like 800 elsewhere from what I can see). It looks like it has all the right stuff to be suitable for 4k/HDR PS4 Pro.

Trouble is I don't know enough about TVs to determine whether or not it is in fact completely suitable. How do I know it has the right "kind" of HDR (HDR 10?).

Is there any drawbacks?

Fuck, appears to be 8 bit according to this link.

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/98b248b

No point purchasing it then.

Strange as this page leads me to believe 10 Bit

LG 55UH668V Le LG 55UH668V est un Smart TV de 140 cm alliant une dalle IPS 4K 10 Bits de 3840 x 2160 pixels, à un rétroéclairage Edge LED + Local Dimming. Ce téléviseur est également compatible HDR, pour une prise en charge totale des contenus Ultra

http://www.cdiscount.com/high-tech/...-pmi-smart-tv/f-1062613-lge8806087673661.html

From what I understand, that system check is flawed in the fact that the unit feeds back whatever LG tells it to feedback, and does not always represent the true capabilities of the screen.

Ah okay :(

Judging by other comments then it's 8 bit which sucks. I still need to find a suitable HDR 4K as my UF850V isn't

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
HDR10 requires a 10 bit panel and wide color gamut to work correctly. You're looking at spending £1000 to get that in the UK at present.

Don't the Sony XD80's have a 10bit panel? I think they can be had for around £750 @ 49inches.

Kinan

This all HDR business is confusing. Didn't we just learn yesterday that HDMI 2.0 has too low bandwidth to pass 10-bit color @ 60 Hz without compression? So basically real 10-bit is just for movies and videos @ <30Hz?

I mean, probably 10-bit with 4:2:0 compression will still look better than 8-bit 4:4:4 RGB, but the price difference is huge, and good blacks make often more difference than data processing limitations.

popped into my local curry's yesterday to look at the same TV.

It is HDR Pro which is LG's version of 10bit and reviews are quite favorable but what has put me off buying is apparently it has noticeable motion blur when viewing high action movies and sports

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Don't the Sony XD80's have a 10bit panel? I think they can be had for around £750 @ 49inches.

This looks like a great option. Considering the 55" option for £900.

Are Sony TVs any good? I've always stuck to Samsung, and for some reason I've picked up that Sony's aren't that great - not sure where from.

DieH@rd

Banned
From what I can gather only Sony's top end XD9 has the 10 bit panel.

No. Even if they are using FRC to achieve higher color gamut, the effect is the same. The colors are there.

"Affordable" Sony X800D [XD80xx in EU] has 10bit panel and WCG. In fact, rtings.com ranks it as 3rd best WCG panel from all 2016 TV models.

2016-11-0614_41_12-bee1rmb.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
From what I can gather only Sony's top end XD9 has the 10 bit panel.

Ummm, I'm not sure, I thought the XD80's fully supported HDR10, ie, 10bit panel, but lacked the extra brightness levels to be classed as 'triluminos' , which is Sony's label for HD Premium.

Simbo

Neo Member
I was looking at the 55XD8599 in the UK and decided against it in the end as I read it was only an 8 bit panel. Although looking again now it seems there's mixed reports.

It's 8 bit. That same model in a smaller size was also on sale for the same reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent review for the HiSense sets regarding input lag etc

http://www.johnlewis.com/hisense-55...eview-hd-anyview-cast-silver/p3049452?s_afcid

£629 for a 55 inch claims 10 bit panel, and with John Lewis their returns are pretty good if you don't like it.

jonno394

With the way tech works, I've just bought a cheapish 4K TV for now (Samsung 50KU6300 for £450) and will just upgrade it in a couple of years time when everything has sorted itself out.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I wouldn't mind seeing a decent review for the HiSense sets regarding input lag etc

http://www.johnlewis.com/hisense-55...eview-hd-anyview-cast-silver/p3049452?s_afcid

£629 for a 55 inch claims 10 bit panel, and with John Lewis their returns are pretty good if you don't like it.

That's almost worth a punt. John Lewis are fantastic if you just don't like the product and want to return it (in 3 months iirc). Also they have 5 year warranty on all their TVs automatically.

Simbo

Neo Member
With regards to cables I believe any High Speed cable will do. Don't get sucked into purchasing a "4K HDMI cable".

I have recently got my 4K gear and all of the cables I was using with my previous setup still work fine. I get full resolution with HDR10.

Top Bottom