• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this laptop any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1337

Thanks, so I guess I'm paying £100 more just for the looks.

Yea but just keep in mind that £199 price is after a £100 refund. So make sure its not some overly complicated system lol.

Also the overall system you have in your post is generally better cause of the cpu, HDD, and the more discreet gpu (not intended for gaming other than basic stuff). So in the long run that system will last longer.

maeh2k

I think you could maybe do better in that price range. From my quick check, it looks like the HP didn't review well and I hated the touchpad when I tried one in a store.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for similarly priced notebooks.

strata8

The processor in that second laptop is really slow. Like, half the CPU and GPU performance of the laptop in the OP.

What laptop do you have now?

With a budget of roughly 300 pounds I think you can do much better.

Rather than looking for a new laptop, try looking for a refurbished one or used one. A used mid-range laptop has far better performance than a low budget laptop, for similar prices. You might be able to get a laptop with an i3 or i5 CPU for that price if you're willing to go for used... which is often practically 'as good as new'.

In fact, I bought my Acer Timeline Ultra M3 laptop for €430. It was advertised with the 'used' products,but when I got there to pick it up, I found out it was new and it was still sealed in the packaging. Although even used would've been good. Also has a startup mini SSD for starting up quickly, but it can add a lot to the price a lot of the time.

That's not much more than your 300 pounds budget. Anyhow, for what you intend to use it for, an i3 or i5 cpu should be good. They have low battery consumption, which means that the laptops using them will last pretty long per charge. It's probably even possible to find an ultrabook for the price you're willing to pay (at the very least, used). They're small, light, sleek and easy to take with you. Usually easy to hook up to an HDTV as well so you can watch HD video on the big screen (like streaming netflix or something).

Certinty

Thanks everyone. From reading what you guys have said I think I'm going to save a little more and push my budget to around £600 and get something far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom