• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Customer was not available when UPS attempted delivery." Yes I was, UPS. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the shipping companies I've had to deal with, UPS is by far the worst. At this point I've lost count of the amount of times they've claimed to have attempted a delivery when they've done no such thing. I live in a small-ish apartment so I'm never far away from my door and if someone buzzes my number from downstairs it goes straight to my cell phone. None of these things happen and I usually find out I missed a package when the "attempt" shows up online. I've had issues with FedEx, too, but when I call to complain they're at least courteous enough to call the driver back and actually have him to his job. UPS is pure laziness and incompetence and I have a hard time understanding how they're still in business.

This will be the most one sided thread ever. I've literally watched the UPS guy drive straight by my house while I eagerly waited for the delivery. Check online 5 minutes later and says I wasn't home.

USPS does this to me a lot on the weekends when it isn't the normal driver. It then gets taken to a random facility and left to fester until I call them. Annoying. Used to have issues with UPS throwing my packages against the door like a fucking baseball but luckily people seem to be using them less.

This will be the most one sided thread ever. I've literally watched the UPS guy drive straight by my house while I eagerly waited for the delivery. Check online 5 minutes later and says I wasn't home.
I don't understand this.

If he's going past your house anyway, why not take the 10 seconds to deliver it?

Makonero

All those UPS drivers out there just doing doughnuts in parking lots and throwing packages into the river.

Yeehaw!

Sidenote: I have had more issues with the USPS then either UPS or FedEx, and more with FedEx than UPS here. It all depends on your local UPS depot.

Crayons

Banned
USPS does in fact scan packages as attempted delivery when they never even left the post office.

It's so their numbers look good

Hale-XF11

The quality of service must vary pretty greatly from one region to the next, because I have yet to have any issues with them.

Living on the third floor, the only guy who will actually walk up the stairs to knock or leave a package at my door is the US Postal mail carrier. The other ones just leave a note downstairs on the mailbox. Pretty lazy.

Ekdrm2d1

"Customer was not available when UPS attempted delivery." Yes I was, UPS. Again.

Possibly they went to the wrong address. Yes, even though the address is clearly posted on the package. Had it happen last month!

Call dispatch, let them GPS track the truck.

Yup.

When we had really bad snow in MA, i was waiting on ice melt and a roof rake from Amazon. UPS said I wasn't home and didn't deliver it, when i was home all day.

Kibbles

With UPS you can get a free my choice account which will allow you to choose to just pick it up yourself at the center which I do all the time because I can pick it up first thing in the morning well before they even would arrive and you don't have to deal with crap like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I have this issue with FedEx constantly. In fact, it seems like every single package I order from FedEx gets a "not home" thing and I have to reroute the package for manual pickup even though my wife was at home the entire day.

Most of my Amazon packages are from UPS, I believe, and I haven't had any issues with them. They just drop stuff off as they're supposed to.

I had a large safe shipped to my house and the UPS truck drove by without stopping. When they claimed nobody was home I gave them a copy of the video feed from my camera. I get that it's a heavy safe; but if that's the case don't accept the delivery or hire more people for heavy shipments.

They're actually kind of awesome in my neck of the woods. Making deliveries on time, all the time.

USPS though...if our delivery guy can't reach our mailbox from his window, he won't deliver the mail. And I take extra pain to make sure that there's enough space. Yet during the summer, he'll drive up our driveway and bring the mail into our garage, SMOKING CIGARETTES WHILE DOING IT. Can't tell you how nice it is to have my mail reek like an ash tray. Asshole.

Bubba T

It seems to be hit or miss for me.

First time I have a package delivered to my apartment, the driver actually called me on my cell and asked me to buzz him in. Awesome.

The second time, I was waiting, and nothing. Saw the notice posted outside and was pissed.

Patryn

Lasership is the worst for me. After one time in which they delivered a package in the middle of the night (I know it was delivered after 11 p.m.) and left it on my front porch visible to my street, I got frustrated enough to write Amazon and plead for them to never use Lasership for any future packages for me.

Ekdrm2d1

Of all the shipping companies I've had to deal with, UPS is by far the worst. At this point I've lost count of the amount of times they've claimed to have attempted a delivery when they've done no such thing. I live in a small-ish apartment so I'm never far away from my door and if someone buzzes my number from downstairs it goes straight to my cell phone. None of these things happen and I usually find out I missed a package when the "attempt" shows up online. I've had issues with FedEx, too, but when I call to complain they're at least courteous enough to call the driver back and actually have him to his job. UPS is pure laziness and incompetence and I have a hard time understanding how they're still in business.

Was there a note on the door?

If not, probably went to the wrong address.

Living on the third floor, the only guy who will actually walk up the stairs to knock or leave a package at my door is the US Postal mail carrier. The other ones just leave a note downstairs on the mailbox. Pretty lazy.

Yep, I have an extremely overweight USPS lady and I have to meet her at the mailbox to get any packages or I get a notice that "my package receptacle is blocked".

I hate USPS.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought this thread was about the US Postal Service, not UPS. I have no qualms with UPS.

Also this:

Sign up for UPS my choice and pre-approve delivery without a signature. They'll have no excuse not to deliver.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week. When I called and complained it said delivered next day but I was home and no one came and I filed an investigation claim. 3 days later my neighbor from 10 houses down came and said we were on vacation and this was on our doorstep

scabro

yeah this has happened to me.

i just went online and checked it for onsite pickup. asshole driver didnt even knock, he just got out to place the "you werent home" notice on my door. like what the fuck man whats the point of that

UPS has been awesome for me. They deliver as late as 7PM and they almost always deliver on the first attempt. Sometimes I even got the package days ahead of schedule. USPS on the other hand couldn't deliver a package to my place even if the front door and apartment doors were both open and when they do get it on a first attempt it's usually a day or two late. It gets tiring having to go to the post office after a third attempt. I hate them with a passion and Amazon switching primarily to USPS for deliveries has pretty much killed my online purchasing binges. In a way I'm thankful for USPS's shitty service.

Jonm1010

Banned
The quality of service must vary pretty greatly from one region to the next, because I have yet to have any issues with them.

In all the threads I have seen about delivery services this seems to be the case.

Around my area UPS is godawful. I mean godawful. Numerous "Customer was not available" bullshit when I was and then had to go to their pick up location 30 minutes away during their very rigid 4 hour windows in the morning and then afternoon. Several packages sent back to the sender when I was clearly home during their stated delivery attempts.

The worst was when they delivered my Casper bed that comes in a box and literally left the box in the middle of my courtyard area(more like tossed it), never knocking, in a giant puddle, in the pouring rain, when they had any number of covered areas along my sidewalk or garage they could put it on.

On the other hand USPS around here is great. Never once had a problem. Fed Ex has mostly been good.

ISOM

USPS does this to me a lot on the weekends when it isn't the normal driver. It then gets taken to a random facility and left to fester until I call them. Annoying. Used to have issues with UPS throwing my packages against the door like a fucking baseball but luckily people seem to be using them less.

Yup, same thing happens to me.

Here's a flipside: My carrier (I forget which one) always leaves packages at my door, even if it's extremely expensive, signature-required stuff (like you know, an iPhone).

My neighborhood is good, thankfully, but would you rather have my problem? =)

I'm surprised by this. For me, UPS is very reliable. Whenever a delivery date is posted, I get it by the end of that day. They even knock and/or ring the bell when it's delivered.

I feel they're a lot more reliable than USPS. They lost a copy of Red Dead Redemption on me at a sorting center in my area that, I swear, one day I'll receive whenever they find it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
yeah this has happened to me.

i just went online and checked it for onsite pickup. asshole driver didnt even knock, he just got out to place the "you werent home" notice on my door. like what the fuck man whats the point of that

It's satisfying catching them in the act...mostly because you get your package.

Clov

Yeah, UPS is pretty terrible. Used to charge me another $20 for a lot of packages for no apparent reason.

I'm pretty frustrated with Canada Post too. Today they marked a package I ordered from Amazon as delivered, yet when I looked in my mailbox there was nothing there. I called them and they pretty much told me to talk to Amazon about it. Bunch of jerks. Best case scenario is that it's still on the way and will be here soon, worst case is that they just delivered it to somebody else. Ugh.

Corpekata

Banned
UPS is actually good for me. It's USPS that I find pretty unreliable and annoying to deal with.

That and a local company called Ontrac. Amazon uses them for a lot of their stuff for stuff that's in the local Amazon warehouse. Unreliable tracking and will just leave shit at my door without knocking or even knowing if I'm home, which can be an issue in apartments.

Best thing ever to happen to Amazon is them mostly dumping UPS in favor of USPS.

Not from my experience. The UPS driver actually drives up my driveway. When amazon uses USPS to deliver on sat the USPS guy drives up and leaves a note in the mailbbox that we weren't home because he doesn't like driving up our driveway. I've seen this multiple times.

Soriku

UPS be like

PxCj4.gif

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'd be setting up a dash cam to record the front of my house in future. It would be so satisfying to call them and tell them you have video evidence of the driver not doing his job.

Completely anecdotal, but I feel like both UPS and Fedex have gotten MUCH, MUCH worse in the past 10 years or so. They used to be really reliable, with good drivers. Now it seems like I'm always getting a new driver, which means they don't know the neighborhood and are more willing to cut corners.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
UPS and USPS have always been really good to me.

FedEx though....I hate it when something gets shipped by fed ex. They can't find my place, deliver to the wrong place, or just plain lose it.

I think it all depends on the particular hub you are near.

I once refreshed the tracking and it said attempted delivery at whatever time and I was up at the ready doing absolutely nothing but waiting for the package.

That happened for the other attempts as well. Ridiculous.

Sign up for UPS my choice and pre-approve delivery without a signature. They'll have no excuse not to deliver.

I tried this and due to some bizarre glitch in their system, they can't/ won't confirm my address-- despite the fact that I've lived in the same place for years. I did some reading up and this problem is apparently extremely common.

Allforce

UPS delivers here daily, never had a problem in 10+ years. Drops the package on the doorstep, rings the bell, and he's gone, easy peasy.

USPS at our new house is awful as the driver makes it a big issue to have to get out of the truck and drop a package on our doorstep. To the point where my wife has complained to Amazon and requested they only ship to is via UPS whenever possible going forward.

What are you guys having delivered that the UPS guy won't leave at the front door? Or is it just apartment living that is the problem? I know their policy is "out of sight, out of weather" but they've ALWAYS left a package right on the front step no matter what it is and I'm ok with that. I haven't interacted with the driver at our new house once in the last year since we've lived here.

I have nothing but problems with UPS in Canada. They have pulled the "Customer was not available when UPS attempted delivery" but they always charge me some sort of bullshit "We crossed the border" fee when I order from the USA that Canada Post has yet to charge me on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom