• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Customer was not available when UPS attempted delivery." Yes I was, UPS. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My super awesome local UPS driver gives me a whole 3 seconds to get to the door and won't even stop the truck if you chase him down the driveway flailing your arms and yelling. Packages that require a signature are so fun!

My UPS guys tends to be good but the other day I woke up from a nap to find two large boxes at my front door.... for someone with a completely different name that lived three blocks away. Ended up driving them over the next day and found out that UPS told him that there was a "delay in delivery". >.>

You are just a casualty of the driver trying to get his numbers. Stopping to drop off your package may have kept him/her from dropping off 2 or 3 others.
Keeping their manager happy, and that managers manager happy and that managers manager happy, not you.

I've had postmen walk to my door and put a 'sorry we missed you card' through the letterbox without even attempting to knock. What is that? How the fuck can you be bothered to do that much but not deliver the package unless you're simply going out of your way to be a cunt?

joelseph

FedEx Smartpost aka USPS is much much much worse than UPS.

Ranked from best to worst

UPS
DHL
FedEX
USPS
FedEX Smartpost

SuperSah

Banned
This will be the most one sided thread ever. I've literally watched the UPS guy drive straight by my house while I eagerly waited for the delivery. Check online 5 minutes later and says I wasn't home.

This made me laugh. You can drive past the house but not take a minute or two to actually deliver it?

turtle553

Only problem with UPS was packages getting delivered to house across the street two days in a row. Contacted UPS and it hasn't been a problem since.

Already called/got in contact with them?

Yeah, I called them about it and they said they'd forward the complaint to a supervisor. I'll have to go pick up my package at whatever drop-off point they left it at, though, since attempting delivery again would take another two days.

Sorral

Happened several times. The guy would just leave my package at the apartment complex's main office and I end up taking it the next day because they would close at 5 or 6 PM. Then, there are times that he wouldn't come by until almost 8 PM....

But I hated USPS way more because they bent books and other packages to stuff them in the tiny mailbox. Calls to stop them from doing this did nothing.

Anton668

Happened to me twice in many years of del's by UPS.

My biggest gripe is sellers requiring signatures for random stuff, in like 10 shipments from Amazon, including $50+ orders not needing signatures, a $11 cell phone case requires a signature?!? of course I was sleeping when they stopped by :(

blackflag

This will be the most one sided thread ever. I've literally watched the UPS guy drive straight by my house while I eagerly waited for the delivery. Check online 5 minutes later and says I wasn't home.

This exact thing has happened to me.It was fedex though and they are the worst.

Another time, I had 2 packages being delivered the same day from Fedex. Iphone 6 Plus and some shoes. Neither package gets to me, no note, nothing and I was waiting all day.

I argued with some woman on the phone for 2 days. She said she talked to the driver personally and he went back and made sure it was the right house. so like 3rd day some dude brings a box to my door saying they delivered it to him a few streets over.....That was my iphone.

Then the next day some other person brings the shoes to me saying they were delivered at his house.

Josh7289

I heard that UPS drivers' time is so micromanaged that literally every single second they spend doing anything is tracked and counts against them, so if they knock on your door and you don't respond, it's better for them to leave an attempted delivery notice than to wait 1-2 minutes for you to reach your door.

It's pretty bad. Foolish managers think they can squeeze every ounce of time out of their employees so they implement systems like this, without even taking a second themselves to think of the unintended consequences.

Hattori

Banned
Better than your packages being left on your front porch and the tracking says "Met Customer Woman,"... I live alone :(

mackattk

They literally ran up, knocked a few times then left quickly. No doorbell? Can't wait 10 seconds? I was fucking pissed.

If they waited until the door opened up on every package they would never finish their delivery route. Assuming these aren't for packages that require signatures.

These days I always just pick things up from the UPS distribution center or have them dropped off at the local Fedex store. USPS has been pretty reliable, and I live in a condo where they have a centralized location for mailboxes that also have larger compartments for packages.

Alucrid

Banned
Fedex is the worst.

I really liked FedEx because I could, mid delivery, have them instead drop it off at a FedEx store. It was on my walk home from work, open til like 10 PM and at least then I knew my package wasn't sitting outside my apartment door.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I listened to an article, well an interview, for NPR radio that said exactly the same thing. They said that even microseconds count when delivering a package to the point where they don't take left turn to they don't have to they don't wait more than a minute for someone to come to the door and often times they just leave "weren't there" stickers on the doors instead of even knocking in the first place.

Dalek

You are just a casualty of the driver trying to get his numbers. Stopping to drop off your package may have kept him/her from dropping off 2 or 3 others.
Keeping their manager happy, and that managers manager happy and that managers manager happy, not you.

This here is the reason why nearly everything in our service economy sucks. I can speak for this, because I have done the same in my own position. I troubleshoot software cases, and I am required to turn in a quota every day of completed cases. If I get a very troublesome case that is going to require a lot of time and work, it's getting put off until later so I can close te easy cases to make my quota. I know it sucks, but my manager will fucking ride me hard if I don't turn in those numbers, no matter what the reason is.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is why I hate buying things that require a signature. I don't even trust the pre-sign papers. Thankfully I've never had a driver just drive by, but I have missed a few packages. It sucks when you now have to wait another day, or god forbid if it's the weekend. Fuck.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
UPS doesn't even knock my door or ring my bell. They just slide the package in front of my door and run. FedEx usually does the same, unless it's their 'Home Delivery' guys. Those bastards leave the package on the entrance of my apartment building. Good thing no one steals packages in my building, yet.

ups-delivery-instructions-comic.jpg

Beaulieu

same problem with UPS in canada
when my amazon packages come with canada post, they always leave it at my door or at least ring if its bigger

when it's ups, they just put the sticker on.

last time I saw him outside my window and ran to the door, openned it as he was about to put the stick on the door. Made him go to his truck to bring me my package. he didnt even look ashamed.

motherfucker.

on the other hand, if they have quotas I understand every minute saved is important. they need a change in their method.

i wish them a slow death.

UPS doesn't even knock my door or ring my bell. They just slide the package in front of my door and run. FedEx usually does the same, unless it's their 'Home Delivery' guys. Those bastards leave the package on the entrance of my apartment building. Good thing no one steals packages in my building, yet.

its better than them going back with the package 3 days in a row before you need to go pick it up fuckin 20 miles aways on the outskirt of the fucking city

therapist

UPS is pretty bad but i think i can one up you guys here with Canada post in my area.

Im in a condo.

Every gd time im home , this person will just put a notice and not try. At all. Except once.

One day , he tried.

He buzzed for like 2 seconds , i knew it was coming (Saw the truck pull in ) so i ran and buzzed him in.

I hear the door open. He walks in and literally just stands there. 1 minute later Door closes. (Im waiting on my landing with door open).

I go down a minute later , theres a notice to go pick up my package the following day.

He didnt want to walk up the two flights of stairs i guess. Fucking sad.

UPS in my area - they come up and the delivery guy is awesome - he always tries.

I haven't had much of a problem with UPS. FedEx blows, though.

But yeah, some of these guys are lazy fucks. Definitely have had cases where I've been home all day and that say they've "attempted delivery" when they clearly haven't.

ultron87

USPS has been given me some issues the last week. First they claimed they delivered an Amazon package on Wednesday. It wasn't there. I talked to Amazon on Thursday and they called the office to see what was up. They got nothing so they replaced the items for me.

Magically the original package then showed up on Friday.

Then, when that replacement package was supposed to be delivered on Saturday I got a "Customer wasn't available to deliver" note online even though I was home all day and didn't hear a knock or see an attempted delivery note on the door or anything. Then they just dropped it in front of my door on Monday. Annoying.

suzu

For me, an attempted delivery by FedEx and USPS means that they didn't even bother to stop by. :/ My UPS dudes are usually great though.

MJPIA

I've found that delivery service quality varies greatly depending on the driver.
For me UPS is great, we always get the same driver who knows us and we've never had a issue with them.

FedEx on the other hand is terrible.
At least 5 different times we've been contacted by them notifying us that they couldn't find us.
Every single time we've told them where we are, given diagrams and and various things to them and every single time they've promised it won't happen again.

Do you know how annoying it is when someone who works at another hangar down the ramp shows up with a FedEx missed delivery sticker and tells you he found it stuck to the airport gate?

At this point we avoid buying anything from anyone who ships only with FedEx.

Volimar

I prefer having to sign for my packages because, otherwise stuff just gets left on my porch. I'm talking about a new tv in box left n the porch in the rain with no attempt to even knock and let me know.

spookyfish

Possibly they went to the wrong address. Yes, even though the address is clearly posted on the package. Had it happen last month!

Call dispatch, let them GPS track the truck.

This. I had five items ordered from Amazon marked as "delivered. Left at Loading Dock."

Um, my home doesn't have a loading dock ... Amazon just dispatched my order again, no questions, so they were apparently used to it.

BIGWORM

Quick and easy answer: they're trying to get done with their load by a certain time. By driving by your place and not actually stopping, they have "proof," so to speak, when you call their boss and complain when you get an updated status saying recipient wasn't home when, in fact, you were. Their boss will pull up the GPS on the deliverer's truck, tell you they were "in the area," then politely tell you to go fuck yourself. This has happened to me no less than 3 times in the past 6 months.

*edit* Yo, those oxford commas, though...

One UPS asshole was ringing the wrong bell for two days in a row and stating that the customer wasn't home. I called on both days to inform them that the driver is lying and that my bell was never rung. On the third day, he finally gets the bell right but has an attitude because the complaints reached him. Fuck UPS.

UPS is actually good for me. It's USPS that I find pretty unreliable and annoying to deal with.

That and a local company called Ontrac. Amazon uses them for a lot of their stuff for stuff that's in the local Amazon warehouse. Unreliable tracking and will just leave shit at my door without knocking or even knowing if I'm home, which can be an issue in apartments.

I seriously cannot believe that Amazon still uses Onztrac for deliveries. I've never had as many bad experiences with a shipping company than I've had with OnTrac.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ontrac-commerce

number47

Sad. You really got to meet your delivery guys. 8/10 are comic nerds who sometimes get tired delivering your package of cat litter.

ReAxion

Quick and easy answer: they're trying to get done with their load by a certain time. By driving by your place and not actually stopping, they have "proof," so to speak, when you call their boss and complain when you get an updated status saying recipient wasn't home when, in fact, you were. Their boss will pull up the GPS on the deliverer's truck, tell you they were "in the area," then politely tell you to go fuck yourself. This has happened to me no less than 3 times in the past 6 months.

*edit* Yo, those oxford commas, though...

Their GPS also registers stops and for how long they were stopped. This is how they enforce lunch breaks. You should ask if they stopped at your house and for how long.

KorrZ

I have no problems with my local UPS (Canada) so far they're pretty on the ball and I've never had a fake "attempted delivery" bullshit happen to me. My only complaint is that I'm usually like the last stop at 7-7:30 PM.

It's why I still mostly buy games in store if I can't wait to play them.

ElRenoRaven

See for me UPS is awesome and this is having lived in two different cities. Now FED EX can go to hell. Prime example this last week their idea of a delivery left by the door was out by the front gate to our yard by the street. Anyone could have taken 5 seconds to stop and toss it in their car. Luckily I had checked the status only 5 minutes after it had been "left by the front door". Course this time it was at least delivered and not just thrown over the fence into the yard.

sangreal

USPS does in fact scan packages as attempted delivery when they never even left the post office.

It's so their numbers look good

Yup. Happens to me all the time. Then they leave the package outside the next day. I tried reporting it to the OIG because they are clearly doing it to fraudulently boost their performance numbers but they refused to investigate it and forwarded it to my local PO which did send me a non-form letter. The letter said it would never happen again and to call the postmaster if it does, but it still happens all the time. Especially with Sunday deliveries from Amazon

Like, please, I work from home, assholes.

Moppet13

I actually had UPS say someone at my house had recieved and signed for my package when it never even made it to my door. The next month they spent trying to make me admit to stealing it.

aeolustl

Beat this :
USPS said my parcel was delivered in my mailbox (which has lock)
And when I open it, guess what. There is nothing. No parcel, no mail.

Then, I have to force the system to connect to CS (in case you are wondering, keep hitting zero will bring you there)

After they open a lost mail case, I got a call from them the next day. They said the mailer remembered that it was just a small parcel. Then, where is my parcel!?
They then told me they would call again tomorrow, annnnd that never come.

Luckily, the shop gave me a gift card for the lost.

Ronin Ray

Am i the only one where ups just puts my stuff on the door step? They don't kncok or anything which is fine. My issues are always with USPS.

My old work office the ups guy drove the same route which included my apartment so he
would just give me my stuff at work which was great because it was always super early.

jblank83

Ditto

I have, no exaggeration, waited hours for a delivery, my curtains open, watching for the UPS truck so I could wave him down and get my junk. Zoom he just drives right by, so fast I can't even get out of my seat.

SnowHawk

Amazon Logistics are the worst for this. Many, many times they have emailed me saying no one was home or they gave it to my neighbours. Here's the thing though, someone is always in my home. They lie say they tried to deliver it when they didn't.

Coolluck

Shit on UPS thread somehow turned into another Shit on the USPS thread. How does that happen?

Keeping with the thread title, I've had some decent experience with the UPS. They're not as bad as FedEx. Still, they will just leave packages at the door without even knocking sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom