• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggzy

I doubt it means exclusive games. Something to do with Live/Origin perhaps?

Highly doubtful. Microsoft want full control over their ecosystem, and their past actions show this with not allowing Steam on to their platform for Portal 2.

slider

Can someone tie the EA statement about "opportunities from always online" to some of the speculation about the nextbox? Maybe it's something to do with that... gah, I dunno.

TheOddOne

More EA news: Next-gen consoles ‘eight to ten times’ more powerful, games to cost $69, says EA.
PS4 and the next Xbox are 8 to 10 times the power of the current generation consoles and games are expected to cost around $69, EA executives Rajat Taneja and Blake Jorgensen have said.

Speaking at Morgan Stanley’s Technology, Media and Telecom Conference, Jorgensen also explained why EA wasn’t part of last week’s PlayStation Meeting. EA’s global chief technology officer and executive vice president Rajat Taneja described PS4 and the next Xbox’s tech as a “gigantic leap for our industry”.

“I won’t go into the nitty-gritty of every component, but if you look at it in an aggregate basis, the new consoles are between 8 and 10 times the power of the current generation,” he said.

“The architecture of the consoles is based on standard PC components and technologies. So our own investments in our back end engine like Frostbite, our libraries, our tools will very smoothly run on this and make it easier for us to innovate to the new console technologies themselves. What used to take months in the past will now take days to do.”

Next-gen software pricing was also discussed at the event, with Jorgensen anticipating a price rise with the launch of the new consoles.

“I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software,” he said. “And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle.”

Jorgensen was also asked why EA wasn’t part of PlayStation Meeting last week. “I think it’s more about timing of our own slate, as well as trying to maintain a good balance of power with all the parties out there and choosing when to unveil certain pieces of software,” he explained. “I’d say between now and E3, you’re going to see a lot of stuff from us and we just choose, on our marketing cadence, as to when to start to announce stuff.”

can you imagine BF4 being a timed exclusive, like 3 months? lols

1280319878_parrot-is-playing-dead.gif

B.O.O.M

My money would be on the new Respawn title. Some exclusive content ..maybe even a timed exclusive for a few months. Nothing more

Biggzy

Can someone tie the EA statement about "opportunities from always online" to some of the speculation about the nextbox? Maybe it's something to do with that... gah, I dunno.

A rumor came up that BF4 will require an always online connection, and this rumor has got quite a lot of things right so far.

It's probably some kind of timed exclusive DLC.

EA won't fuck with FIFA or Madden, so that leaves BF4 and ME4, I'm guessing MS have got timed exclusive DLC for one or both of these titles. However, with Sony jumping into bed with Activision we don't know if they are going to wheel out some kind of timed exclusive DLC for COD.

In the end all of these deals will cancel each other out and unless EA decide to fuck with FIFA and Madden (which doesn't seem likely as they would incur the wrath of the licencors and their investors) this strikes me as no more or less important than Sony's deal with Activision.

Busty

Banned
What if this 'exclusive' deal is for EA to showcase all it's upcoming next gen titles at the MS 'nextBox' reveal event first because MS don't have such 'core' titles themselves?

What if MS's first party development is (apart from HALO and one or two other titles) still an anemic as ever and focused on Kinect and 'family titles'?

How would the loyal 360 audience react is the pre E3 MS next gen machine event only featured 'core titles' from EA titles and whatever the next HALO game will be....., ?

We're through the looking glass here people.

................., or not whatever.

slider

A rumor came up that BF4 will require an always online connection, and this rumor has got quite a lot of things right so far.

The one that came out of China?

Hmm. So... let's work with BF4 requires an always online connection... EA state there are opportunities from always being online... rumours of the nextbox requiring an (always?) online connection (to what degree isn't clear)...

There's a missing link - what's the incentive for EA and MS? - and I've got to take the dog for a walk.

I really don't see how this:
However, EA's chief financial officer hinted at such a deal on Tuesday.
is derived from this:
Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, CFO Blake Jorgensen was asked why Electronic Arts did not appear at the PlayStation 4 press conference.

"It was more about timing of our own slate as well as trying to maintain a good balance of power with all the parties out there and choosing when to unveil certain pieces of software," he replied.

Jorgensen added: "I'd say, between now and E3, you are going to see a lot of stuff, and we are going to chose with our marketing teams when to announce."

That's a somewhat liberal interpretation.

Biggzy

EA won't fuck with FIFA or Madden, so that leaves BF4 and ME4, I'm guessing MS have got timed exclusive DLC for one or both of these titles. However, with Sony jumping into bed with Activision we don't know if they are going to wheel out some kind of timed exclusive DLC for COD.

In the end all of these deals will cancel each other out and unless EA decide to fuck with FIFA and Madden (which doesn't seem likely as they would incur the wrath of the licencors and their investors) this strikes me as no more or less important than Sony's deal with Activision.

We don't know whether Bungie are doing something where every platform gets its own exclusive content and whether the deal with Activision extends beyond that. Come E3 and Microsoft doesn't roll out the next COD then you know something went down.

^^^^^That's his point, that EA could also have a similar deal with Sony, but Microsoft will get the announcement. It's all a mole hill in the end, they are just trying to convince us it is a mountain.

I know some of you guys are kidding, but a timed exclusive for a game is not happening. Dlc I could see, but EA will want their games on as many platforms as possible at once. Especially with something like BF4. Which is their flagship series, and is coming ot PS360 even.

DLC is going to become more and more fought over, not so much games themselves. With dev costs rising through this gen and possibly more next, 3rd parties can't afford not to have console parity when it comes to releasing games.

Chopper

I hope its better then their partnership with Nintendo.
Ha ha. QFT. To be honest though, I'm not sure I'm at all interested in what EA have to offer at this point. I expect nothing exciting or surprising from them at this point. I'm sure prettier Fifa and BF4 will be huge though.

madmackem

Yeah or even some kinect 2 shite like they banged on about ea being tight with ms last e3 showing kinect features etc.

Linkified

What if MS went to the licensors and paid them to allow for it to be exclusive to their platform?

We don't know whether Bungie are doing something where every platform gets its own exclusive content and whether the deal with Activision extends beyond that.

Well Sony also announced a partnership with Blizzard on the night as well, I'm guessing it is some kind of top level marketing partnership (read: money) in return for (timed) exclusive content covering the whole of ActiBlizzard as a publisher. It strikes me as too coincidental that Sony had both Blizzard and Activision showing their premier IPs at the unveiling unless there is some kind of deal in place. That's not to say Destiny won't be on NXTBX, it will, just that Sony may have paid for some DLC etc...

That's why I think all of these timed exclusive deals and "co-marketing money" will cancel themselves out over the medium term and eventually they will come to nought and be cancelled.

EA makes far too much money to go entirely exclusive. What about mobile? What about their online social stuff?

I'd be surprised if this extends beyond earlier DLC, platform exclusive in-game content and the like.

Xater

It will be exclusive DLC. Anything beyond that would be too crazy for EA. They also want to make money on PS4 and PC after all.

What if MS went to the licensors and paid them to allow for it to be exclusive to their platform?

The only way to do that would be for MS to buy the licences and then sub lease them to EA on an exclusivity basis. We're talking billions of dollars for FIFA, NFL and PGA. It's not really something worth considering as MS investors would rail at wasting money on frivolous endeavours. Most already see Xbox as a distraction, a move like that would anger them further.

King_Moc

Banned
So this'll be MS paying out to screw over PS4 gamers then? Such a shitty company nowadays. Why can't they spend their money on actual games? Such a negative tactic. Its bad for all consumers as even XBox games just end up paying for this through XBL fees.

So this'll be MS paying out to screw over PS4 gamers then? Such a shitty company nowadays. Why can't they spend their money on actual games? Such a negative tactic. Its bad for all consumers as even Box games just end up paying for this through XBL fees.

To be fair, it looks like Sony are paying Activision to screw Xbox gamers out of Destiny DLC. It rubs both ways. Neither MS or Sony have the gamers' interests at heart so let's not pretend that either one of them is acting in our interests.

Xater

Yeah, it's timed exclusive DLC for Respawn's game. Game will likely debut at their E3 conference too.

Then we already know which shooter everyone is betting on. MS on the Respawn game and Sony on Destiny. If Respawn's game is just another shooter Sony might have the better deal. We will see.

Ding-Ding

Well with Activision announcing Destiny PS4 exclusive content and Blizzard stating an strategic patnership, it is starting to look like roles are going to be reversed again.

It wouldn't surprise me if EA made this move to balance things like they did with Battlefield timed exclusive content for PS3 because of CoD content.

So, it looks like timed DLC across the boards. Shame really as that was the shitiest practice to come out of this gen.

Why cant any of these idiots realise that one paying customer deserves the same DLC support as another, regardless of platform

Linkified

Are you being serious or you just trying to play devil's advocate?

Because that ain't happening.

Devils advocate.

Seriously I expect a deal, IMHO, where if you buy an xbox 720 disk version of a game. You have digital copy access code water marked to the disk, kind of like PS3 Cross buy games.

Is it meaningful not really - but if we are moving to digital only future in the next 15 years then it could be.

You know that would not end well.

Sarcasm.....I don't think EA would be stupid.enough to cut out 50 million potential users.

However if they actually DID finagle an origin deal with MS then I could see the cost of the partnership being BF4 exclusivity I suppose.

Satchel

Banned
My money would be on the new Respawn title. Some exclusive content ..maybe even a timed exclusive for a few months. Nothing more

Nope.

This announcement depends soley on whether Microsoft has taken the leap and blocked used games.

If they have, this is going to be FAR bigger than a timed exclusive. This is going to be an outright exclusive, or multiple outright exclusives. Again, that's working under the assumption that MS are blocking used games.

I've posted many times saying that there's zero chance of them blocking used games if they don't have assurances from the big publishers/developers. This partnership is the first hint at that.

Timed exclusives just aren't worth the commercial suicide of blocking used games.

If Microsoft and EA are looking at this long term, as in eradicating the used game market, this will be big.

Biggzy

To be fair, it looks like Sony are paying Activision to screw Xbox gamers out of Destiny DLC. It rubs both ways. Neither MS or Sony have the gamers' interests at heart so let's not pretend that either one of them is acting in our interests.

This is what makes me laugh with a lot of people on GAF. They think that Sony and Microsoft actually care abut them, like you said they are only interested in one thing: the bottom line.

Well Sony also announced a partnership with Blizzard on the night as well, I'm guessing it is some kind of top level marketing partnership (read: money) in return for (timed) exclusive content covering the whole of ActiBlizzard as a publisher. It strikes me as too coincidental that Sony had both Blizzard and Activision showing their premier IPs at the unveiling unless there is some kind of deal in place. That's not to say Destiny won't be on NXTBX, it will, just that Sony may have paid for some DLC etc...

That's why I think all of these timed exclusive deals and "co-marketing money" will cancel themselves out over the medium term and eventually they will come to nought and be cancelled.

Like I said in my previous post we should get some answers come E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom