• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Xbox 360 controller vs. Xbox One controller

Them fixing the D-Pad is the single greatest change for me. That old style was horrible, kept me away from fighters on the system, as I'm not a big fighter stick person.

Firebrand

Hard to say how different it really is without trying one of course, but taller sticks with less resistance doesn't sound like a positive; the springier resistance in the sticks is one of the reasons I prefer the 360 pad over the dualshocks. Better thumb grip sounds good though.

Overall it looks like an improvement over the 360 pad (except for the lack of background color on the face buttons) I guess? Only real issue I had with the 360 pad was the D-pad. Might pick one of these up when there's PC drivers.

GavinGT

Banned
I wonder if users will find a way to take this thing apart without absolutely ripping it up. I'm guessing the front panel is snapped on using friction tabs, and that's what conceals the screws?

iMax

I wonder if users will find a way to take this thing apart without absolutely ripping it up. I'm guessing the front panel is snapped on using friction tabs, and that's what conceals the screws?

Major said you can, on Reddit, but obviously it voids the warranty.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've never ever ever felt the screw holes on my 360 controller while playing, let alone been bothered by them, lol. Having them gone is more aesthetically pleasing, though.

No_Style

and the $50 accessory only available from the Microsoft store. Will it work with the current wireless dongle?

Well you can use it wired until cheap wireless dongles appear on DealExtreme

I don't believe it will since they did mention in the MS video that they expanded the wireless spectrum that it uses

Sober

I don't believe it will since they did mention in the MS video that they expanded the wireless spectrum that it uses
Well wired is the superior option anyway.

nib95

Banned
Really really fantastic video. In-depth.

Positives.

Improved d-pad.
Slightly taller and looser sticks.
No more screw rivets on any point of real contact.
Face buttons are slightly more flush.
Overall buttons are less clicky and clackety.
The battery compartment no longer protrudes out.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you don't like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Improved grip around the analogue rims.
Improved rumble.

Negatives.

Triggers wider.
Triggers dampened and softer.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Still uses AA batteries.
Glossy upper section picks up prints.

see5harp

I did prefer the colored buttons but the actual ABXY letters are easier to read now and the buttons themselves look a little cleaner and mesh with the body of the controller. I'm glad they flattened out the buttons a bit and I'm so glad they got rid of the whole led ring around the guide.

I don't see why the flashing low battery light being distracting is seen as a bad thing. That's actually something I want to notice while I play.

For the d-pad, wasn't it the engineering underneath that made the input registry extra poor(As opposed to just the ergonomics)? Did they fix that?

It runs with a Micro USB so I don't think you would need anything extra.
That's nice but you're paying a premium for a wireless controller you might as well make the most of it.

Oh I didn't realise you could get knock offs, jolly good. I'm still wired but I'd like to try out wireless with my next PC.

Can't wait to try it out in a demo unit really. There's a lot of great choice out there for pads right now.

nib95

Banned
Agreed. Looks more sleek, consistent.

I'd say that's a positive. AAs are easy to replace, and if you have rechargable ones, it's inexpensive.

Lithium Ion batteries are easy to replace too, are cheaper than Eneloops, and only have to be replaced every 3-5 years for optimum battery use. Otherwise you can use them till they die.

You can still use a rechargeable pack from the Play & Charge Kit.

I realise that. Just think it should have been thrown in for free. This is a $60 console pad after all. Fact that it only comes with disposable AA's is embarrassing.

see5harp

Regular AA batteries, I believe.

And I hope the sticks haven't been loosened too much. It's one of my gripes about the DualShock3. Sticks are too loose.

Yea, I don't mind them being a little looser, assuming the deadzone was shrunk and the tension is consistant from edge to edge, but I really hope they didn't go all of the way to DS3 tension.

Dai101

Banned
Negatives.

Triggers wider.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Still uses AA batteries.

Nitpicking much?

Duxxy3

Fixed d-pad is nice, but I don't think I will go out of my way to replace my 360 controller for my PC.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lithium Ion batteries are easy to replace too, are cheaper than Eneloops, and only have to be replaced every 3-5 years for optimum battery use. Otherwise you can use them till they die.
But don't you have to take a screw driver to it to open it up? I wouldn't call that easy to replace. I dunno, I'm not an expert on this stuff. Rechargeable AAs have worked well for me for years. I'm getting a PS4 this fall, though, so I'll have a better chance to try it your way. :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Man, I'm gonna miss Microsoft's gamepad, for all their numerous faults they do know how to make a proper controller.

MercuryLS

Banned
Really really fantastic video. In-depth.

Positives.

Improved d-pad.
Slightly taller and looser sticks.
No more screw rivets on any point of real contact.
Face buttons are slightly more flush.
Overall buttons are less clicky and clackety.
The battery compartment no longer protrudes out.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you don't like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Improved grip around the analogue rims.
Improved rumble.

Negatives.

Triggers wider.
Still uses AA batteries.

Also the bumpers look worse IMO. I wish they were more defined rather than bleeding into the triggers.

nib95

Banned
But don't you have to take a screw driver to it to open it up? I wouldn't call that easy to replace. I dunno, I'm not an expert on this stuff. Rechargeable AAs have worked well for me for years. I'm getting a PS4 this fall, though, so I'll have a better chance to try it your way. :)

Takes a couple of minutes tops. We're talking something you may have to do every three or more years if you want optimal battery life lol. 99% of people will likely never even have to replace the lithium ion battery.

see5harp

I don't know anyone who would want to go back to the current battery low indicator. That was among the most irritating things about the current 360 controller. It's like d-pad, buttons making my fingers sore (lol), and then annoying low battery indicator.

EDIT: No, the lithim ion battery on the DS3 is not easy to change. It's easier than replacing a cracked iPhone screen but is MUCH harder than changing 2 eneloops every 2 weeks (if that).

I'm pleased with the changes, and it makes the 360 pad look cheap by direct comparison and it has a real smooth aesthetic to it. Easily seems like the best asymmetrical pad you can get.

With the normal looking d-pad on it, it makes me wish Sony opted for a similar kind on the PS4 controller instead of sticking to the segmented type they've used all along. And now I kinda want the One's pad to be backwards compatible with the 360 to use that d-pad on some games that would benefit for it.

Top Bottom