• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Xbox 360 controller vs. Xbox One controller

Bgamer90

Banned
Negatives.

Triggers wider.

More room for fingers.

Triggers dampened and softer.

Probably more comfortable.

The power light is slightly more subtle (if you like being obviously indicated of low battery).

Heh, it's still serves the same purpose and probably won't be hard to see.

Still uses AA batteries.

ENELOOPS.

Enough said.

Glossy upper section picks up prints.

Doesn't really matter much in terms of actually using the controller.

bounchfx

tried it at e3, honestly I like the 360 pad better, but maybe it's just because I'm used to it... but the 360 pad felt incredible when I first held it, this didn't give me those feels. It's still sweet, I just want the xb1 to support both controllers heh.

Flatline

Banned
Really really fantastic video. In-depth.

Positives.

Improved d-pad.
Slightly taller and looser sticks.
No more screw rivets on any point of real contact.
Face buttons are slightly more flush.
Overall buttons are less clicky and clackety.
The battery compartment no longer protrudes out.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you don't like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Improved grip around the analogue rims.
Improved rumble.

Negatives.

Triggers wider.
Triggers dampened and softer.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Still uses AA batteries.
Glossy upper section picks up prints.

Noone is mentioning the LB and RB in these videos. Are they as terrible as on the 360 controller?

tried it at e3, honestly I like the 360 pad better, but maybe it's just because I'm used to it... but the 360 pad felt incredible when I first held it, this didn't give me those feels. It's still sweet, I just want the xb1 to support both controllers heh.

what did you feel was better on the 360 controller?

nib95

Banned
More room for fingers.

ENELOOPS.

Enough said.

You didn't have enough room for your fingers before? Lol. A few journo's have mentioned that the new width of the triggers leads to far more accidental presses or undesired half presses (they also mentioned this had never happened to them with the 360 pad). Dampened soft triggers (akin to the SIXAXIS and less so the DS4) imo aren't as good to use. Hopefully the Xbox One's still has a good degree of spring back to it. It's one of the things I dislike most about the PS pads even with Giotek triggers.

Agree with you on the light, but that's why I put it in the positives too. And by Eneloops you mean rechargeable AA batteries lol. That is pretty archaic for an expensive 2013 pad, but given all the other improvements, somewhat excusable. If people made a bigger stink about it though, they might throw in the play and charge kit for free, but if that happens it most probably won't be because of Xbox fans.

Satchel

Banned
People who argue for the built in battery make me laugh.

The negatives outweigh the positives by a mile. Especially on the Xbox One controller given it now uses micro USB.

Also the bumpers look worse IMO. I wish they were more defined rather than bleeding into the triggers.
Disagree. I like the idea of the bumpers being closer to the triggers and bigger. Now you can click the bumper while having your finger on the trigger. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

MercuryLS

Banned

I've read the same thing from a lot of hands on.

More room for fingers.

ENELOOPS.

Enough said.

yeah all his negatives were actually positives for me lol

Sojgat

Great vid. Microsoft seem to have gotten the new controller right at least. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know about their position which is terrible on 360. Btw they're pretty resistant already, that's not the problem with LB and RB.
The position of the bumpers always felt fine to me. I like how it feels more than L1 and R1 on the Dualshock, if that's what you're comparing it to.

But this is what controller arguments always come down to: a war of preferences.

goldenpp72

If I had to guess, they loosened the sticks very slightly in order to fix the drifting issue the 360 pad had, which was in part due to the sticks being too tight and the dead zone, so I wouldn't worry much about it if that's the case it would only be a very minor loosening. It's funny how this controller is basically perfect looking, as in I can't imagine what they could do with a new pad to really improve it, but time will tell.

Hard to say how different it really is without trying one of course, but taller sticks with less resistance doesn't sound like a positive; the springier resistance in the sticks is one of the reasons I prefer the 360 pad over the dualshocks. Better thumb grip sounds good though.

Overall it looks like an improvement over the 360 pad (except for the lack of background color on the face buttons) I guess? Only real issue I had with the 360 pad was the D-pad. Might pick one of these up when there's PC drivers.
Agreed. Hope it isn't as loose as the dualshock.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This controller is extremely exciting.. Wow. The video comparison was superb..

From what I saw I can't really fault it AT all. Jesus MS good job.

Aren't softer triggers worse? I like the different feels you can get on 360 for racers like froza or even shooters.

Not sure just my personal preference not to much of racer guy - what I use right now is the razer tournament controller because you can adjust the joystick level - but i dont really like their trigger.

BadAss2961

I still don't understand how people prefer batteries over USB. Makes no sense to me. USB was a little forward thinking for a console in 2006, now batteries are a glaring flaw in 2013. What other modern devices like this use batteries?

If internal batteries were dying left and right, I could see it. But all of my DS3s still hold charge.

see5harp

Aren't softer triggers worse? I like the different feels you can get on 360 for racers like froza or even shooters.

I think by softer he meant the actual noise levels not the tension of the spring. It could just be a more solid build quality or an increase in dampening around the mechanical parts. DS3 didn't have soft triggers, they were just mushy feeling, had a strange angle of movement, were convex, and didn't have enough play in the springs.

Daingurse

Defo getting one for my PC.

christian-bale-reaction-gif.gif

Sojgat

Depends what the response and feedback is like when you're actually playing a game. Clicky triggers aren't inherently better (especially when they start sounding like squeaky hinges), it's just what we are all used to. That being said, they could also be the worst things ever.

Mupod

I'd like to compare it to a Razer Onza. It's really hard to go back to a regular 360 pad now that I'm used to the Onza's face buttons.

goldenpp72

I still don't understand how people prefer batteries over USB. Makes no sense to me. USB was a little forward thinking for a console in 2006, now batteries are a glaring flaw in 2013. What other modern devices like this use batteries?

If internal batteries were dying left and right, I could see it. But all of my DS3s still hold charge.

Many reasons, when my 360 pad dies, I walk 3 feet over to the wall, pull out 2 more eneloops, and continue. With the ps3 you're required to be tethered to the console for X amount of time until you finish charging it, and it came with a 1 foot USB cable. You then have to deal with the long term issue of the charges holding worse and worse and of course outright dying in the future. I have 3 PS3 pads and none of them have crapped out yet but, when they do, it's going to be a much bigger hassle to take care of. And don't tell me how you can by a USB cable for a few bucks, because guess what, that's how much multiple eneloop batteries end up costing.

In the end, the cost of rechargeable batteries that are also universal means the controller can in theory last forever until you outright break it, so while I won't condemn Sony's approach, as someone who likes to whip out vintage consoles from time to time, I do prefer this. It's ultimately cheaper to handle it this way anyways, My Wii remotes, 360 pad, remotes for the tv, other devices, I just buy a pack of eneloops cheap on amazon and keep a set on the charge. People who prefer the lithium method are either bad shoppers or short sighted in my mind. I'm not sure what kind of battery the PS3 pad uses, but is it a universal style that i'll be able to buy with a perfect charge in 10 years?

I saw some people whose ds3's batterey died and they had to get a whole new controller. I prefer the xbox way,

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
From what little we know... They removed the deadzone on the triggers... Which to me is huge...

I just await someone to 100% confirm this

I think by softer he meant the actual noise levels not the tension of the spring. It could just be a more solid build quality or an increase in dampening around the mechanical parts. DS3 didn't have soft triggers, they were just mushy feeling, had a strange angle of movement, were convex, and didn't have enough play in the springs.

Maybe it was that, just watched it again.

bounchfx

what did you feel was better on the 360 controller?

the 'grip', the way it FELT in my hands, overall. I don't really like the new shoulder buttons, they were more difficult to use than the 360 pad. To be fair, I don't have large hands so that probably contributes.

Mupod

I have a AA battery charger (oddly enough, bought it for my Wavebird back in the day and still does its job) and I imagine many other people do as well. I can keep multiple sets of AAs lying around and it's easier than constantly plugging in the controller. When a controller battery suddenly dies it's not usually because I played for 30 hours straight, but rather because I forgot to charge it - with AAs that's no problem.

I don't mind my Wii U pro controller at all because its battery lasts like 100 goddamn hours or someshit, but it drives me nuts with my PS3 especially since it doesn't charge with the console off. And if the controller dies on you mid-game, what are your options there? Plug it in and lose the wireless-ness, or buy extra controllers I guess.

see5harp

Many reasons, when my 360 pad dies, I walk 3 feet over to the wall, pull out 2 more eneloops, and continue. With the ps3 you're required to be tethered to the console for X amount of time until you finish charging it, and it came with a 1 foot USB cable. You then have to deal with the long term issue of the charges holding worse and worse and of course outright dying in the future. I have 3 PS3 pads and none of them have crapped out yet but, when they do, it's going to be a much bigger hassle to take care of. And don't tell me how you can by a USB cable for a few bucks, because guess what, that's how much multiple eneloop batteries end up costing.

In the end, the cost of rechargeable batteries that are also universal means the controller can in theory last forever until you outright break it, so while I won't condemn Sony's approach, as someone who likes to whip out vintage consoles from time to time, I do prefer this. It's ultimately cheaper to handle it this way anyways, My Wii remotes, 360 pad, remotes for the tv, other devices, I just buy a pack of eneloops cheap on amazon and keep a set on the charge. People who prefer the lithium method are either bad shoppers or short sighted in my mind. I'm not sure what kind of battery the PS3 pad uses, but is it a universal style that i'll be able to buy with a perfect charge in 10 years?

That's not any better of an argument because you can just as easily buy a 10 ft usb cable for a couple bucks, which is much less than a set of eneloops. In any case you can buy the charge and play that finally has a decent battery.

It's not a negative to give people options though and its easy as fuck for people to change batteries. Eneloops last like weeks in my controller so it's either people judging eneloops by comparing them to the crappy current play and charge or people saying it's more difficult than unscrewing a DS3 that have no idea whatsoever. Many people already have a bunch of eneloops from this gen alone, and even if you don't want to spend extra money you surely have your 10 ft usb cable that you can use wired like you would with your DS3.

goldenpp72

That's not any better of an argument because you can just as easily buy a 10 ft usb cable for a couple bucks, which is much less than a set of eneloops. In any case you can buy the charge and play that finally has a decent battery.

It's not a negative to give people options though and its easy as fuck for people to change batteries. Eneloops last like weeks in my controller so it's either people judging eneloops by comparing them to the crappy current play and charge or people saying it's more difficult than unscrewing a DS3 that have no idea whatsoever. Many people already have a bunch of eneloops from this gen alone, and even if you don't want to spend extra money you surely have your 10 ft usb cable that you can use wired like you would with your DS3.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UG41XW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pack of 8 (probably the typical amount someone would buy) is 20 dollars, so 5 dollars per set of batteries for each controller, with the added flexibility of being able to never be tethered, use them on other devices (everyone has need of AA's) and such, it's a very difficult argument to win in favor of the USB cord, especially since most of us agree wireless is better. I imagine a long USB cord would be at least 3-5 dollars, but I can't say for sure as I don't buy them. I'm not saying people who like USB charging are idiots or something, I make due with it on the U which is far more frustrating as it dies in 4 hours, but still, i'd much rather all my pads share the same common batteries. It's more insane when people go buy disposable batteries for devices they intend to use a ton over a decade.

MercuryLS

Banned

With PS4:

1) The console charges the controller in standby mode.

2) You can buy a controller docking station if you don't want any wires hanging from the machine (what I'll be doing)

Complete non-issue.

Miles X

Looks perfect.

That said, until people started pointing out the X1 has no screw holes and the 360 pad does, I didn't even realise the 360 pad ever did, really has never been an issue for me.

goldenpp72

With PS4:

1) The console charges the controller in standby mode.

2) You can buy a controller docking station if you don't want any wires hanging from the machine (what I'll be doing)

Complete non-issue.

So how will you be playing your games while the controller is docked? Unless you just never have the controller die of course, I surely don't like keeping my pads charging all the time. Plus, the 360 already charged the controllers (with the official cord) in standby mode so this isn't some new PS4 thing, it's been done for ages (I actually figured the Ps3 could do this as well)

MercuryLS

Banned
So how will you be playing your games while the controller is docked? Unless you just never have the controller die of course, I surely don't like keeping my pads charging all the time. Plus, the 360 already charged the controllers (with the official cord) in standby mode so this isn't some new PS4 thing, it's been done for ages (I actually figured the Ps3 could do this as well)

You just remember to dock or plug in your controller every few days and let it charge overnight? How is that any worse than opening a battery door, removing batteries, taking batteries off a charger, putting them in the controller and placing the dead batteries on a charger? It seems far more annoying to me than remember to place a controller in a charger every few days or week.

Looks perfect.

That said, until people started pointing out the X1 has no screw holes and the 360 pad does, I didn't even realise the 360 pad ever did, really has never been an issue for me.

I just bolted my controller open for shits and giggles and i wanted to see inside of the controller. Was a mess to get it all into place and working again :p

goldenpp72

You just remember to dock or plug in your controller every few days and let it charge overnight? How is that any worse than opening a battery door, removing batteries, taking batteries off a charger, putting them in the controller and placing the dead batteries on a charger? It seems far more annoying to me than remember to place a controller in a charger every few days or week.

Wow, you've just made an act that takes about 15 seconds sound infinitely more complex than it really is. Fact is, I have access to a 100 percent charge at all times, aside the few seconds it takes to reach over to the wall and put new ones in. It's a very cheap additional cost that also compliments plenty of other devices in the process, and that's all i'm saying. I'd be curious to see a poll of people who own both who would say the PS3 method is superior, I own both, the 360 method is preferable to me, but I can see why someone who only owns a PS3 would say otherwise as well as it's not something most would put much thought into.

If the PS4 took AA batteries i'd be happier for it, it really does remove a long term problem for a very small cost. I do applaud Sony for taking on the additional cost for the attempt to make life easier for the user however, it's certainly not something I hold against them, but it would be nifty to be able to maybe opt in for a 5 dollars cheaper pad that uses AA batteries.

Satchel

Banned

Even if we set aside the dying internal battery, which doesn't happen often.

By having an internal battery, you HAVE to have one of two scenarios.

1) Buy a second controller that is charged and ready (what I did, HATE wiring a wireless controller)

2) Wire your wireless controller to a 1 foot cable for hours while you play. Or buy a longer cable and still wire your wireless controller.

I can't see in what parallel universe this is better than simply swapping out batteries or a battery pack.

Top Bottom